Gen 5 Sweeping Team

This is one of my many OU teams and possible my best. The only problem that I may have if this team is offensive. I'm not sure whether or not to add more defensive pokemon and take out one or two of the sweepers. So any comments would help heaps. But any way here it is. (I will put all changes in bold)

Azelf @ Normal Gem
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
Azelf has replaced the former lead, Celebi. I found that even without Def, or SDef Evs he his still very good. With full EVs in speed and a Jolly nature I can out speed most pokemon. I start with Taunt if I feel it will be needed, otherwise Stealth Rock. If I think Explosion will not OHKO or do a lot of damage I will swap Azelf out with U-turn.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
Scizor was the replacement of Metagross in this set. He is used as a revenge killer and a wall breaker. U-turn is used to get Scizor in and out if the opponent is on low health or is a psychic type. Bullet Punch is there to quickly attack and is most effective against Dragon types. Pursuit is mainly used if I predict a switch about to happen and I think that a double power Pursuit is enough to take the switching pokemon out. Superpower is a very effective move against walls such as Blissey and has won the game for me on many occasions.

upload_2013-10-16_16-24-24.png

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Crunch
This is a very common Lucario set-up sweeper. I try and set-up one or two Swords Dance and then sweep as many pokemon as possible, usually 2, 3 or more. ExtremeSpeed can one or two HKO most offenesive pokemon. +2 Close Combat usually OHKOs Skarmory after Stealth Rock. Crunch is there for Jellicent, Reuniclus, Slowbro, Gengar etc. which can ruin my team.

upload_2013-10-16_16-38-13.png

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
Starmie is a rapid spinner set. Rapid Spins removes SR, Spikes etc. Hydro Pump takes out fire which this team is a bit weak to. Ice Beam takes down dragon types. And Thunderbolt stops water stalls and 2HKOs defensive Jellicent which is important so I can use Rapid Spin later on.

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
Dragonite is one of my two set up sweepers. I try to bring in Dragonite to a situation that he want get hurt in the first time so I can set up at least one DD. Dragon Claw is the main stab move and can take down almsot all types. Fire Punch deals damage to steel types that Dragonite usually wouldn't do much damage to. And ExtremeSpeed is to quickly finish off the enemy. ExtremeSpeed and Fire Punch are also useful to take down fairies who would usually expect to beat Dragonite in a pinch. I started using Life Orb but it meant that Dragonite couldn't stay in long enough to sweep a lot of pokemon, so Leftovers, I thought, would be the best option.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge
Garchomp is used as my primary revenge killer but can still sweep through many, none steel or fairy types. Outrage is my most common move, unless I can see that they have a steel or fairy type coming that will block it out, then I will use Dragon Claw. Earthquake and Stone Edge together work perfectly and cover almost all pokemon. Garchomp has been the saviour of my team on many occasions

Additional Comments:
Starmie is very important to help Dragonite to come out without damage thanks to Rapid Spin.

Attachments

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, so I'm here to rate your team.

So this is a pretty cool team using some very unique sets. I generally think your team is very offensive, as the goal is to sweep with Dragonite or Lucario. Starmie spins hazards away, Celebi sets up SR, Metagross offers nice priority as well as I guess wall breaks(?), and Terrakion is your revenge killer, awesome. The general idea behind the team isn't bad, but I think I have a few suggestions that fit your team better.

I generally don't like that Celebi set, mainly because it really undermines it's good bulk. I understand that this is an offensive team however, so I'm going to suggest that you replace Celebi with Azelf. Azelf is generally a much better suicide lead, as it has access to Taunt, Explosion, and has more speed. Metagross is an okay option, but I generally think your team would benefit greatly if you were to use Scizor instead, so replace Metagross with Scizor. Scizor has a much more powerful Bullet Punch, can gain momentum in the form of U-turn, and has Pursuit to eliminate Ghost and Psychic types, which means your Lucario has an easier time sweeping. Scizor also checks Scarf Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Gengar, all of which can stop your Lucario from sweeping. Finally, I think having both Terrakion and Lucario is kind of redundent, so I'd suggest using Scarf Garchomp over Terrakion. Garchomp still revenge kills most of the same Pokemon Terrakion did (Volcarona, Dragonite, and Salamence), but you don't get the redundant coverage like you previously had with Terrakion.

Just a small nitpic, but I'd highly suggest you change that Dragonite to the standard Dragon Dance set, or the Choice Banded set. I would also change it's nature to Adamant, as Jolly Dragonite only out speeds Adamant Lucario and Adamant Mamoswine, but the power increase is really appreeachated. Apart from that, the team seems pretty solid. Here are the sets

Azelf @ Normal Gem
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

Anyway, there's my rate. I hope my suggestions helped you, and good luck with the team.

Hi,
Thanks heaps for your response and suggestions, they really, really help. I have included all of the changes that ShootinStarmie suggested and my time is so much better. I will edit my team and post it soon. Any more suggestions would help.

Last edited:
If you already have a priority move sweeper (Scizor) why extremespeed on Dragonite? I think Earthquake is a better option. Also jolly Lucario is so much better than Adamant because after a SD you can sweep with almost everything so you dont need that attack bonus from Adamant nature.

And if you want to make Starmie Analytic give it 0 Speed IVs.
No. I say Analytic because he's making it offensive, keep it max Soeed as Analytic boosts apply to switches

Also jolly Lucario is so much better than Adamant because after a SD you can sweep with almost everything so you dont need that attack bonus from Adamant nature.
If you really believe that, show me some calcs. CC/ESpeed/BP Lucario has no reason not to run Adamant. CC/ESpeed/Anything (Ice Punch or Crunch basically) also has a very good reason to run Adamant. Prove it with calcs/important things you would outspeed with Jolly.

Thanks for your help everyone.
The whole thing about making Starmie have the ability Analytic isn't working anyway. It is saying 'Starmie has moves incompatible with its DW ability.'
I don't really want to change it moves set, but any ideas would help.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The whole thing about making Starmie have the ability Analytic isn't working anyway. It is saying 'Starmie has moves incompatible with its DW ability.'
Ah. You might want to do /learn Starmie then your moves and see what the problem is.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Hey, AWailOfATail here.
Right now I see a huge Volcarona weakness. You have no spinblocker, so it will probably get out unharmed. Only 2 of your pokes resist its main stabs, and Ice is too common to not have on the opponent's team. Therefore, I would like to recommend Scarfed Terrakion. It can outspeed Volcarona even after a Quiver Dance, and then OHKOs it with Stone Edge.

As for who would be replaced, well, I'm kinda thinking Garchomp. There's nothing that Terrakion can't do that Garchomp can, at least when they're both scarfed. Let's face it: What can 1 extra attack point do? And Terrakion just has better coverage overall.

I also see that you only have one special sweeper, and Starmie isn't exactly used for his sweeping capabilities. I would also like to recommend Hydregion in place of Lucario. It's not really necessary, but its always better to be prepared. I usually run scarf, but since Garchomp/Terrakion is already scarfed, I can see why not. I would then say Life Orb, because it can also pack Superpower to catch Blissey off guard. Expert Belt if you're against recoil.

Garchomp ==> Terrakion

Lucario ==> Hydregion

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake/Iron Head/Zen Headbutt/Whatever you like

Hydreigon @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf/Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 Att / 252 SpA
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower

A great team without changes, but what team can't be made better?
Hope I helped!
~AWailOfATail

Scotti

we back.
Nice Team Pokemonmaster. First i have to comment on this.

Its a bug on showdown, since, i can't use Analytic Starmie either. Probably has to do something with 6th gen coming out, or its just a bug.

Anyway onto the rate. I say you should replace Garchomp with Scarf Terrakion like the above user said, because Volc could become a huge problem, and even thundurus-t gave me some trouble when i was play testing this team.
Just make sure for the 4th move use Rock Slide, then you don't have to worry about missing a kill on like Volc or Thundurus-T though if Thundurus-T is at full health go for the stone edge. It will pretty much be the same set as the above user accept rock slide in the 4th slot.

Now replace Lucario with gengar. I find it kinda difficult to setup with lucario sometimes, and even then it can sweep everytime. That why i want you to replace it with gengar, because it will help keep rocks up, making pokemon like Dragonite, Thundurus-T, and Volcarona easier to deal with.

Next change scizor set to a SD Acrobatic set. Well, since, Lucario left you could really use another Swords Dance sweeper, so i think scizor would be a good alternate. It also has an easier time setting than lucario from my experience from playing with it on this team.

On dragonite replace Fire Punch with Earthquake, since i find Earthquake to be better in more situations, then replace Leftovers with Lum Berry, since i found status to be quite annoying for this team, well very annoying.

Summary of Changes:

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Scizor @ Flying Gem
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance

- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Acrobatics

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake

Hope I Helped =)

Hi,
Thanks for both of your comments Scotti, and AWailOfATail, I will test all of the changes that you have suggested and see how it goes. I will update this team again a bit later once I figure out what changes I will make.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I just want to clear up a few things. Now obviously this post is just based on my opinion, but I need to clear a few things up

Lucario should always be Adamant nature. Jolly nature doesn't get any real jump on any notable thread. The only thing you're really out speeding is Adamant Dragonite, and Adamant Mamoswine, but of which Lucario can beat with +2 (maybe not Dragonite, but his team doesn't have trouble with Dragonite). Adamant however brings such important power, as Adamant OHKOs Skarmory after Stealth Rocks at +2 (which Jolly misses out on), and Extreme Speed becomes severally weaker. Adamant is the better nature for Lucario 99% of the time.

This team already had Terrakion, but I suggested Garchomp over it for reasons I already stated. Garchomp is just as good in checking Volcarona as Terrakion is, I dunno how you think Volcarona can threaten this team with Garchomp. Terrakion offers redundant coverage for this team, as he already has a Lucario.

Feel free to disagree and what not, but I just had to get that off of my chest. The final decision is of course the team builder, but I had to give some reasoning behind my decisions for people who didn't understand.

tl;dr pls use adamant lucario.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)