Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Tapu Bulu introducted in gen7 has been one of the most used pokemons by far and that is no wonder when you see that it has great stats, good typings and a large movepool. It has been paired with Heatran for those reasons, Heatran is immune or resists all Tapu Bulu's weaknesses and Tapu Bulu resists all of Heatran's weaknesses which makes them a good combo. Finally, the core is missing several key components, one is speed, two, reliable momentum and power, three, checks to common sets that carry coverage against both both bulu and heatran for example Landorus-T and FlyiniumZ , Flying/Fighting like tomohawk or pinsir. Celesteela is there to prevent those threats from sweeping your team. Mega-Metagroos has a great amount of bulk as well as speed and attack. Pinsir is completely walled by it and so is Fidgit or Crucibelle-Mega . It also walls lele which is a big threats to any team. Tapu Bulu and Heatran can really beneficiate from Mega-Metagross as well as Mega Metagross can benefit from fire immunity and Grassy terrain.

SETS: Tapu bulu is banded, woodhammer is used to hit really hard and pressure your oponent, stone edge and superpower are your coverage and hornleech is to stay healthy. You also have 30 ivs in speed, that is for mega scizor to let it u-turn before you attack it so that you're able to hit hard whatever comes in next. Heatran is your stall breaker, it has taunt and toxic for stall, earthpower for fire types and other heatrans, magma storm to trap threats such as magearna, magnezone, tangrowth, ect. Mega-Metagross can pressure the opponent especially since it walls most of the common weaknesses of Heatran and Bulu, therefore the set is purely offensive (to keep the core balanced as well) It has Bullet Punch for priority, Meteordash which 2ohko Flyinium Z Landoru-t as well as hitting super hard and eventually get an attack boost, it also has earthquake as coverage for anything that can be a threat such as Crucibelle or Fidgit and finally Zen Headbutt as stab and for the rare fighting types such as Tomohawk that may come across.

TEAMMATES: I have chosen those teammates for the only reason that they can get pass what the core doesn't. They would work great in a team.
Landorus-t: is great as physical switch in and general wall +hazards +ground immunity
Mantine: pretty much the same but brings defog instead of stealth rocks +water and ground immunity

Scarf Tapu lele: is a very good threat, adds speed and boosts Mega-Metagross

Tapu koko: great cleaner and pivot boosts Mega Metagross and Second check to Pinsir
No, I think the tapu set is fine as it is. Zap plate is a better option especially since Tapu Koko is pretty frail. Then again it is mixed and has u-turn. I don't think bb Tapu Koko should be your Venusaur check and you don't want to get 10% off by switching out. Heatran can deal with that. I still think life orb is viable but I won't add it for the only reason that zap plate is superior.

For the threats, I can add them if you want it to be specific, Fidgit is dealt with the two teamates I have suggested for this core and Crucibelle by lando-t.
I will edit the rest.

Thank you for the feed back! Appreciated.
I like this core more than your initial one. Mega Metagross can actually use Grassy Terrain very well (Mega Pinsir eq isn't even a 3hko most of the time) and the psychic stab is very important. I was originally thinking lele but Megagross definitely sounds better. Nice!

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been trying this core out for a bit, and I'm comfortable enough with it to submit it for scrutiny. Here's a Replay with it: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-509917223 (Pyroak did a lot of work here, but it was the core that fundamentally shut down GP's ability to set up their strategy.

+
+

Offensive Core

Flyinium Z U-turn Landorus-T + Volt Switch Specs Magearna + Mystic Water Ash-Greninja
Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Greninja-Ash @ Mystic Water
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
This Offensive core utilizes the offensive pressure of Landorus-T and Magearna, combined with their ability to U-turn/Volt Switch into Ash-Greninja to provide A-G the cover it needs to get off the KO for Battle Bond, and get it in safely throughout the match. Magearna is EV'd to outrun Bulky Rotom-Wash, as it can 2HKO it with Specs Dazzling Gleam. The rest is in HP because bulk is one of Magearna's selling points as a Core selection.

Landorus's Supersonic Skystrike is notable for being able to OHKO Tomohawk, and since Landorus also scouts with U-turn, many opponents initially believe it is Banded or Scarf. Once opponents are weakened, Landorus can also sweep late-game by setting up a Swords Dance and eliminating threats with Earthquake and Fly.

Specs Magearna is chosen because Life Orb ruins Magearna's bulkiness too quickly, while with Expert Belt Magearna would rarely hit SE with Dazzling Gleam or Flash Cannon. Specs has its own drawbacks but the immediate power is worth it. Magearna can also snowball very easily once Fairy or Steel resists are dealt with, as the Specs boost combines with whatever stat-boost it gains from Soul Heart. Hidden Power Ground is selected because Mollux, Plasmanta, and Heatran seem to love switching into this thing, and Specs HP Ground to the face makes them cry.

Ash-Greninja utilizes Mystic Water to boost its Hydro Pump and Water-Shuriken without exposing it to wear-down from Life Orb or a Choice Lock. In addition to sniping its KO for Battle Bond, it is also excellent at cleaning weakened teams by being able to switch moves.

Last edited:
U-Turn Mega Crucibelle + Offensive Tomohawk + Mixed Defensive Celesteela

(I couldn't find the image URL of a smaller celesteela sprite ;-;)
Crucibelle-Mega @ Crucibellite
Ability: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Gunk Shot
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn

Tomohawk @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Roost

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Air Slash/Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Offensive Tomohawk is a great wallbreaker, but it struggles against flying types such as Tornadus-Therian and Zapdos. That's where Mega Crucibelle comes in, about to beat Zapdos and Tornadus-Therian, and can even U-Turn out of the ground types that beat it like BulkChomp. In return, Tomohawk beats the common ground types that threaten Mega Crucibelle.
However, both Tomohawk and Mega Crucibelle are weak to psychic types like Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam, and Flyinium Lando-T. To remedy this problem, we have mixed defensive Celesteela to beat psychic types and Flyinium Lando-T with its natural typing.

Calcs
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 156+ SpD Celesteela: 128-151 (32.1 - 37.9%) -- 0.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Celesteela: 130-153 (32.6 - 38.4%) -- 4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 156+ SpD Celesteela: 154-182 (38.6 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 156+ SpD Celesteela: 127-150 (31.9 - 37.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(this is Mega Kazam's strongest attack against celesteela, bar the rare HP Fire)

252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Supersonic Skystrike vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Celesteela: 150-177 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Celesteela: 115-136 (28.8 - 34.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Note: Celesteela also leech seed stall out these mons to regain health, so it should maintain relatively healthy throughout the match.

Threats
Tapu Koko and Krilowatt both threaten this core with their boosted electric type attacks/coverage, so a good pokemon to beat both of these is Pyroak, as an optional 4th addition to the team.

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
U-Turn Mega Crucibelle + Offensive Tomohawk + Mixed Defensive Celesteela

Crucibelle-Mega @ Crucibellite
Ability: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Gunk Shot
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn

Tomohawk @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Roost

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Air Slash
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Offensive Tomohawk is a great wallbreaker, but it struggles against flying types such as Tornadus-Therian and Zapdos. That's where Mega Crucibelle comes in, about to beat Zapdos and Tornadus-Therian, and can even U-Turn out of the ground types that beat it like BulkChomp. In return, Tomohawk beats the common ground types that threaten Mega Crucibelle.
However, both Tomohawk and Mega Crucibelle are weak to psychic types like Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam, and Flyinium Lando-T. To remedy this problem, we have mixed defensive Celesteela to beat psychic types and Flyinium Lando-T with its natural typing.

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 156+ SpD Celesteela: 128-151 (32.1 - 37.9%) -- 0.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Celesteela: 130-153 (32.6 - 38.4%) -- 4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 156+ SpD Celesteela: 154-182 (38.6 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 156+ SpD Celesteela: 127-150 (31.9 - 37.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(this is Mega Kazam's strongest attack against celesteela, bar the rare HP Fire)

252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Supersonic Skystrike vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Celesteela: 150-177 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Celesteela: 115-136 (28.8 - 34.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Note: Celesteela also leech seed stall out these mons to regain health, so it should maintain relatively healthy throughout the match.

Tapu Koko and Krilowatt both threaten this core with their boosted electric type attacks/coverage, so a good pokemon to beat both of these is Pyroak, as an optional 4th addition to the team.
Hi! I'm going to propose an edit for this core. First, since your core struggles a bit with Steel-types, I think slashing Flamethrower with Air Slash on Celesteela would be appropriate. Second, most offensive Tomohawk sets really appreciates 252 Spe over 252 HP (retaining Modest of course). Do you find running the extra HP necessary or no? Also, make sure you're using the right format (sprites, importable, and description). If you want the calcs/threats sections in the OP, please put them in the description!

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
+
+

Balance Core

Feel free to tweak my Ev's

Pyroak (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock

Arghonaut (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 200 HP / 220 Atk / 88 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Recover
- Aqua Jet
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 48 Def / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Pyroak and Arghonaut provide each other with great team support. Landorus-Therian furthers this by being able to sweep and take Poison and Flying attacks. Individually Pyroak is great in Gen 7 because it completely walls Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini as well as a lot of other prominent Pokemon this Generation. Arghonaut with its ability Unaware makes for a great counter for Pokemon that would try to use Pyroak as setup fodder. Arghonaut is also able to tank most SpA which makes it a great partner for Landorus-Therian and Pyroak. All in all we got some great mons here. This core is definitely going to go a long way. It's literally Almost perfect I mean look at these calcs Below:

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Pyroak: 126-149 (28.3 - 33.5%) -- 97.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Arghonaut: 226-268 (64.2 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 333-395 (104.3 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Tomohawk Hurricane vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Arghonaut: 158-188 (44.8 - 53.4%) -- 33.2% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Tomohawk Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Pyroak: 360-426 (81 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tomohawk Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 199-235 (62.3 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyroak: 129-153 (29 - 34.4%) -- 99.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arghonaut: 386-456 (109.6 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 48 Def Landorus-Therian: 214-253 (67 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Venusaur-Mega Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Arghonaut: 126-150 (35.7 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Venusaur-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Pyroak: 338-398 (76.1 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Venusaur-Mega Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 156-184 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO
BUT.....
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Fly vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 518-612 (144.2 - 170.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO This is with Flynium Z bp boost
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Fly vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 270-318 (75.2 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Without Z power

Sorry for the wall of Calcs...

Last edited:

snake

CAP Co-Leader
+
+

Balance Core

Feel free to tweak my Ev's

Pyroak (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock

Arghonaut (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Gunk Shot
- Superpower
- Waterfall

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 48 Def / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

These three Pokemon have amazing type synergy and make for a wonderful core. These dudes are so incredibly easy to build around after putting them on a team. They are able to provide each other with great support and can switch for days when faced with nasty threats. Not only this but they can make quick work of some of the tiers current top threats. I also find it great that the long lost Arghonaut is on this core. It is making its comeback. This core is definitely going to go a long way. It's literally Almost perfect I mean look at these calcs Below:

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Pyroak: 126-149 (28.3 - 33.5%) -- 97.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Arghonaut: 226-268 (64.2 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 333-395 (104.3 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Tomohawk Hurricane vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Arghonaut: 158-188 (44.8 - 53.4%) -- 33.2% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Tomohawk Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Pyroak: 360-426 (81 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tomohawk Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 199-235 (62.3 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyroak: 129-153 (29 - 34.4%) -- 99.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arghonaut: 386-456 (109.6 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 48 Def Landorus-Therian: 214-253 (67 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Venusaur-Mega Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Arghonaut: 126-150 (35.7 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Venusaur-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Pyroak: 338-398 (76.1 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Venusaur-Mega Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 156-184 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO
BUT.....
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Fly vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 518-612 (144.2 - 170.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO This is with Flynium Z bp boost
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Fly vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 270-318 (75.2 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Without Z power

Sorry for the wall of Calcs...
Ok so the core is pretty neat.

However, I can't see why you wouldn't want to run SpD Pyroak right now since it still has enough bulk to wall Mega Metagross while checking special attackers really well. Physically defensive is probably still really good, but on first glance I'm kinda skeptical. Arghonaut should really be running its Recover set, but now I'm not sure about running SpD Pyroak alongside SpD Arghonaut. Again, I've only taken a quick read.

Honestly, and I hate to be so blunt about this, but I'm probably really confused because your description is really just a bunch of fluff + some general calcs. Your description doesn't tell me anything about the core aside that a) it's good and b) it's got Arghonaut. If you want to say, "Arghonaut is making a comeback this gen, and it's best partnered with Pyroak and Landorus-T," that's cool because the sentence actually provides a little information about Arghonaut, not just that it's "making a comeback." Really what you need to do is tell me what things Pyroak can take on, what things Arghonaut can take on, and explain their sets (EVs and Moves) (I highly and encourage you take a second look at them before doing this, especially Arghonaut). Then tell me after they've worn down the opposing team, what Pokemon could possibly be left that Landorus-T just curbstomps while also explaining it's EV spread and moves.

Take a look at some of the cores in the OP; they all have their different styles, but they look at each Pokemon in their cores and both analyze its set and its role on the core. I'd be happy to help you write up a description later today on PS! if you would like.

Last edited:

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Ok I need links to sprites x_x

+

Offensive Voltturn

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch/U-turn
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Colossoil (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit/Sucker Punch
- U-turn

This colokoko voltturn is great at picking apart balance teams as they are capable of pressuring eachothers checks with their respectable offensive stabs whilst pivotting into eachother while the opponent is responding to your initial attack.

Colossoil is a really powerful Pokemon this generation due to the recent changes to the burn mechanics, making Flame Orb its best set. However, it struggles with Tomohawk, Landorus-T, Skarmory, and Celesteela due to their typing or access to recovery. Tapu Koko can beat these Pokemon and form a powerful Voltturn core with Colossoil. Tapu Koko has Thunderbolt for a nice powerful STAB. Volt Switch is used to allow you to retain momentum and gain initiative, butit can use U-Turn to prevent your pivot option from being blocked by Ground-types despite being a weaker option. Roost is used over other moves like Dazzling Gleam to allow this core with some longevity. Last, Hidden Power Ice is used to hit Ground-types, such as Landorus-T or Garchomp super effectively. 252 EVs in both Special Attack and Speed are used to take advantage of that amazing speed tier and tremendous power. In return, Colossoil can lure and beat some of the bulky Grass-types and other defensive switchins for Tapu Koko. Earthquake is a powerful Ground-type STAB allowing you 2HKO the even likes of offensive Mega Venusaur. Knock Off is a nice offensive utility due to it's ability to remove the foe's item which is nice for pressuring other defensive Grass-types such as Pyroak and Ferrothorn. Pursuit is used to trap Mollux for Tapu Koko, however if this is not your main concern you can run Sucker Punch so Colossoil can retain offensive pressure versus faster teams. U-Turn allows you to pivot out against its typical Flying-type checks for Colossoil such as Skarmory, Celesteela, Tomohawk and Landorus-T and can give Tapu Koko a free switch-in. Flame Orb gives Colossoil a pseudo-Choice Band this is because Colossoil is able to have the power of a Choice Band whilst being able to switch moves with less recoil than a Life Orb. Maximum Speed investment is used to allow Colossoil to outspeed as many pokemon as possible, including +0 Aurumoth, and 252 Attack EVs maximizes Colossoil's damage output.

Although Colossoil can 2hko a large number of defensive grass types for Tapu Koko it can't take them on in a one on one situation. Tail Glow Syclant is a nice option with this core as not only does it beat grass types, it pressures ground types for Tapu Koko and flying types for Colossoil. Due to the amount of switching you'll be doing hazard removal is a must have with this core. Tomohawk being a good option as it gains momentum on the ground types which may want to check Tapu Koko.
252 Atk Guts Colossoil Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 157-186 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Guts Colossoil Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 153-180 (43.4 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Guts Colossoil Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Pyroak: 225-265 (50.6 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Guts Colossoil Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Pyroak: 219-258 (49.3 - 58.1%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Guts Colossoil Earthquake vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 196-232 (54.5 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Guts Colossoil Knock Off vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 127-151 (35.3 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:

OFFENSIVE CORE

The one reason I can now use Aurumoth. Ash-Greninja is a terrifying wallbreaker with a great speed tier who is a massive struggle to check. Pair this with THE wallbreaker of the Tier, Aurumoth, who can easily sweep so many teams if played correctly, and you have a stellar core. Greninja is also amazing as Aurumoth's illusion, as it lures in special walls and checks like Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, no-sucker-Colossoil and also faster, scarfed checks which it can outspeed after a quiver dance. This core still struggles slightly with Tapu Fini, though, so appreciates checks like Tapu Koko, which also provides momentum and another way of cleaning.

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Aurumoth @ Firium Z
Ability: Illusion
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Psyshock
- Overheat

+

Drapionswing's Life Orb Tapu Koko + Flame Orb Colossoil
Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch / U-turn
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Colossoil (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit / Sucker Punch
- U-turn
This ColoKoko VoltTurn is great at picking apart balance teams as they are capable of pressuring each other's checks with their respectable offensive stabs and pivoting to each other.

Colossoil is a really powerful Pokemon this generation due to the recent changes to the burn mechanics, making Flame Orb its best set. However, it struggles with Tomohawk, Landorus-T, Skarmory, and Celesteela due to their typing or access to recovery. Tapu Koko can beat these Pokemon and form a powerful VoltTurn core with Colossoil. Tapu Koko has Thunderbolt for a nice, powerful STAB. Volt Switch is used to allow you to retain momentum and gain initiative, but Tapu Koko can use U-Turn to prevent your pivot option from being blocked by Ground-types. Roost is used over other moves like Dazzling Gleam to allow this core with some longevity. Last, Hidden Power Ice is used to hit Ground-types, such as Landorus-T or Garchomp super effectively. 252 EVs in both Special Attack and Speed are used to take advantage of that amazing speed tier and tremendous power. In return, Colossoil can lure and beat some of the bulky Grass-types and other defensive switchins for Tapu Koko. Earthquake is a powerful Ground-type STAB allowing you 2HKO the even likes of offensive Mega Venusaur. Knock Off is a nice offensive utility due to it's ability to remove the foe's item which is nice for pressuring other defensive Grass-types such as Pyroak and Ferrothorn. Pursuit is used to trap Mollux for Tapu Koko, however if this is not your main concern you can run Sucker Punch so Colossoil can retain offensive pressure versus faster teams. U-Turn allows you to pivot out against its typical Flying-type checks for Colossoil such as Skarmory, Celesteela, Tomohawk and Landorus-T and can give Tapu Koko a free switch-in. Flame Orb gives Colossoil the power of a Choice Band and the ability to switch moves with less recoil than a Life Orb. Maximum Speed investment is used to allow Colossoil to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, including +0 Aurumoth, and 252 Attack EVs maximizes Colossoil's damage output.

Although Colossoil can 2HKO a large number of defensive Grass-types for Tapu Koko it can't take them on in a one on one situation. Syclant is a nice option with this core as not only does it beat Grass-types, but it also pressures Ground-types for Tapu Koko and Flying-types for Colossoil, and it also has U-turn. Hazard removal is a must have with this core, so Tomohawk being a good option as it gains momentum on the Ground-types that check Tapu Koko.
252 Atk Guts Colossoil Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 157-186 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Guts Colossoil Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 153-180 (43.4 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Guts Colossoil Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Pyroak: 225-265 (50.6 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Guts Colossoil Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Pyroak: 219-258 (49.3 - 58.1%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Guts Colossoil Earthquake vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 196-232 (54.5 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Guts Colossoil Knock Off vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 127-151 (35.3 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I took a look at the speed tiers, and realized that you only need 248 speed EVs to outspeed the base 93s (and there is no base 94s) So you should probably put the extra 4 in SpDef with the others. Also, sorry Drapionswing I couldn't find your post, so I just used the Archive.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
I took a look at the speed tiers, and realized that you only need 248 speed EVs to outspeed the base 93s (and there is no base 94s) So you should probably put the extra 4 in SpDef with the others. Also, sorry Drapionswing I couldn't find your post, so I just used the Archive.
While this is true, you want to run max speed so you Speed Tie with other Colossoil and Tapu Lele. Don't worry about it though, I did this a lot when I first starting making EV spreads.

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Time to update this with a Post CAP Updates Defensive Core I've been playing with. Presently I'm using this with a Terrakion and a Protean Greninja, but I'm sure it could support others as well. I'm not really comfortable making it a 3 Pokemon core yet since I haven't found a particularly excellent third for it:

BALANCE CORE:

+

Volt-Turn Balance Support Core​
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Cyclohm @ Leftovers
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off
- Volt Switch
A Balance Volt-Turn Support Core consisting of Defog Mega-Scizor and Volt Switch Cyclohm. This core works by utilzing Mega-Scizor and Cyclohm's great type synergy and good mixed defenses to provide defensive pressure and support. While some might find a Mega-Scizor without Bullet Punch wanting, Knock Off provides so much utility by breaking off Eviolites, Choice Items and Life Orb that the overall bulk of the two wins out. Defog also keeps hazards off the field.

For Cyclohm's part, it can cripple opposing teams with Discharge or scare out major offensive and defensive Steel-type threats with Flamethrower. Shield Dust or Static can be used, and provide their own differing benefits. With both Pokemon having high bulk, recovery, and pivoting moves, combined they provide an excellent defensive backbone without killing your team's momentum.

Other options depending on your team build could have Cyclohm run Ice Beam rather than Flamethrower, depending on which Pokemon threaten your overall team more. If you intend to have another Pokemon as your Defogger, give Mega Scizor Bullet Punch so it can clean up between pivots.

Last edited:
Here's a core that is really solid and I love using on my teams due to the sheer role compression that these two together have and ability to check a lot of the meta.

FerroFini

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Ferrothorn provides a great answer to Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and can make mind games with Tapu Bulu, helping beat the Tapus for Fini. It also provides a Poison immunity to support Tapu Fini, and can help with its recovery by passing on Leech Seeds. Furthermore, it also sets up Stealth Rock, putting a checkmark on that list of "Must Haves" for a Balance/Bulky Offense team.

In return, Tapu Fini stomachs Fire type attacks from Volkraken and Mega Charizard X (although it can get worn down, hence why Leech Seed passed from Ferrothorn helps) for Ferrothorn. It also gives a Fighting resist, helping beat Mega Heracross, Keldeo, Terrakion, etc. It also sports Defog, which means with this defensive core, you don't have to worry about your hazard game anymore when teambuilding.

Notes: For the third member of this core, add something to beat Pyroak, Mollux, and Mega Charizard Y, such as Mega Crucibelle or Zygarde.

Reactions: BP

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Time to update this with a Post CAP Updates Defensive Core I've been playing with. Presently I'm using this with a Terrakion and a Protean Greninja, but I'm sure it could support others as well. I'm not really comfortable making it a 3 Pokemon core yet since I haven't found a particularly excellent third for it:

BALANCE CORE:

+

Volt-Turn Balance Support Core​
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Cyclohm @ Leftovers
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off
- Volt Switch
A Balance Volt-Turn Support Core consisting of Defog Mega-Scizor and Volt Switch Cyclohm. This core works by utilzing Mega-Scizor and Cyclohm's great type synergy and good mixed defenses to provide defensive pressure and support. While some might find a Mega-Scizor without Bullet Punch wanting, Knock Off provides so much utility by breaking off Eviolites, Choice Items and Life Orb that the overall bulk of the two wins out. Defog also keeps hazards off the field.

For Cyclohm's part, it can cripple opposing teams with Discharge or scare out major offensive and defensive Steel-type threats with Flamethrower. Shield Dust or Static can be used, and provide their own differing benefits. With both Pokemon having high bulk, recovery, and pivoting moves, combined they provide an excellent defensive backbone without killing your team's momentum.

Other options depending on your team build could have Cyclohm run Ice Beam rather than Flamethrower, depending on which Pokemon threaten your overall team more. If you intend to have another Pokemon as your Defogger, give Mega Scizor Bullet Punch so it can clean up between pivots.
Here's a core that is really solid and I love using on my teams due to the sheer role compression that these two together have and ability to check a lot of the meta.

FerroFini

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Ferrothorn provides a great answer to Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and can make mind games with Tapu Bulu, helping beat the Tapus for Fini. It also provides a Poison immunity to support Tapu Fini, and can help with its recovery by passing on Leech Seeds. Furthermore, it also sets up Stealth Rock, putting a checkmark on that list of "Must Haves" for a Balance/Bulky Offense team.

In return, Tapu Fini stomachs Fire type attacks from Volkraken and Mega Charizard X (although it can get worn down, hence why Leech Seed passed from Ferrothorn helps) for Ferrothorn. It also gives a Fighting resist, helping beat Mega Heracross, Keldeo, Terrakion, etc. It also sports Defog, which means with this defensive core, you don't have to worry about your hazard game anymore when teambuilding.

Notes: For the third member of this core, add something to beat Pyroak, Mollux, and Mega Charizard Y, such as Mega Crucibelle or Zygarde.
I added these two cores to the repository, deleted any cores with banned mons with them, and updated the example core with a more up-to-date one. Deck Knight if you could explain Cyclohm's EV spread a little that'd be helpful. Rage.Spam.Quit. if you could do the same with Tapu Fini, as most run max speed to outrun Landorus-T and Zygarde.

I'd like to leave this thread open to user-based edits to the cores in the repository. Most of the cores are old, so if there are any changes to be made, make a post about it! If you think there's a core that'd need too many changes to be salvagable, it can be removed with sufficient support and explanation. Of course, new cores are always welcome :)

Deck Knight

Cyclohm EVs are for general bulk, with some special defensive investment instead of Max Physical since the most common attacks aimed at Mega Scizor are Fire Blasts, Thunderbolts, and Scalds (Bulky Waters).

Offensive Core
Volkraken @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Dugtrio @ Groundium Z
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Screech
- Substitute
- Toxic
It's no secret that Volkraken is a terrifying wallbreaker thanks to Analytic, high-powered STAB moves, and its impressive base 135 SpA. Pair it with Dugtrio, and it becomes even more deadly. There aren't many Pokemon that can comfortably switch into Choice Specs Volkraken, and most of them can be easily removed by Dugtrio. Click U-turn as they send out their Chansey, Mollux, Toxapex, et cetera and remove them from play. Now Volkraken is generally free to spam its STAB moves for the rest of the match.

STABs and U-turn make the Volkraken set function in this core. The last move is up to personal preference. I prefer HP Grass to smack Arghonaut, Gastrodon, and some other situational targets, but you can easily put Surf or Flamethrower there for the reliability. Or HP Electric if you want to hit Mantine. Groundium Z Dugtrio is optimal for trapping Toxapex, Cyclohm, Chansey, and Krilowatt more easily. As far as potential teammates go, many special sweepers and fast cleaners appreciate having this core's support.

I added these two cores to the repository, deleted any cores with banned mons with them, and updated the example core with a more up-to-date one. Deck Knight if you could explain Cyclohm's EV spread a little that'd be helpful. Rage.Spam.Quit. if you could do the same with Tapu Fini, as most run max speed to outrun Landorus-T and Zygarde.
I made Tapu Fini a more defensive spread because in my opinion it's more important to survive physical attacks than outspeed defensive Lando-T and Zygarde. What would be the point of outspeeding these threats if you get 2HKOed by Banded Zygarde, or take a ton of damage from any Lando-T? To utilize Fini's great typing that allows it to beat physical mons, I decided to make this spread that avoids crucial 2HKOs. However, you can customize the defense EVs according to your liking, but please don't use max speed fini (it's bad imo).

As for the SpDef EVs I think it was to better handle Volkraken and scout what move Scarf Lele was locked into w/o taking too much damage.

252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Fini: 178-210 (51.8 - 61.2%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 204-242 (56.9 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Fini: 171-202 (49.8 - 58.8%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Not that hard to chip fini, and once u do it can't switch into landot to defog its rocks.

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Fini: 156-183 (45.4 - 53.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Fini: 192-226 (55.9 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
HJK on the switchin then Zen and Fini's gone.

AS OPPOSED TO

252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 156+ Def Tapu Fini: 144-169 (41.9 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 156+ Def Tapu Fini: 138-163 (40.2 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 156+ Def Tapu Fini: 124-147 (36.1 - 42.8%) -- 96.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 156+ Def Tapu Fini: 153-181 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I just feel like max speed fini can't tank anything well

Edit: adding some calcs

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)