1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen IV Sandstall

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by hooman90, Feb 11, 2013.

1. hooman90

hooman90

At a local near me we are doing some 4th generation tourneys. The rules are no legendaries or ubers (Garchomp, Wobbuffet, Salamence). Also, we don't enforce Item Clause.

I always liked weather teams and figured a sandstall team could be fun. I've tested it and it has been working fairly well. I sometimes hit a problem but i can't figure out what it is.

The Team:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    Hippowdon@ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Slack Off
    - Ice Fang

Hippowdon is my lead. He sets up sandstorm and a stealth rock and will generally switch out after that unless a stab Earthquake can kill them. I later use him simply as a physical wall and to set up stealth rocks if they manage to spin it away.

[​IMG]
    Cradily @ Leftovers
    Trait: Suction Cups
    EVs: 252 HP / 150 Def / 108 SDef
    Careful Nature
    - Recover
    - Stockpile
    - Rock Slide
    - Toxic

Cradily works as my special/mixed wall. With sandstorm in effect Cradily works well as a special wall since it gets the SDef boost. Recover and Stockpile are simply to make him last while sandstorm, toxic, and entry hazards eat away at their team. With Cradily I am curious if there would be a better EV spread to make him more effective. I have it at extra def because it gets the 50% boost in SDef so it is more balanced.

[​IMG]
    Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Trait: Keen Eye
    EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Spikes
    - Roost
    - Brave Bird
    - Roar

Skarmory is my main Physical wall. I try to get him out as early as possible without putting him in danger so that I can set up 2-3 layers of spikes. Roar is in there for when I anticipate a switch and have a couple entry hazards down. I have found that his typing is fine in this because both of his weaknesses are not effective against most of my team.

[​IMG]
    Gengar @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast
    - Energy Ball

Gengar works as my Special sweeper and spinblocker. Entry hazards are a very important part to this team so I thought a spinblocker was necessary. Gengar has been working very well, for it can get rid of most spinners pretty easily, but I'm thinking of changing focus blast to HP Fire if I get the time to get the right IVs. This is just because I sometimes have trouble dealing with Forretress with payback.

[​IMG]
    Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Liquid Ooze
    EVs: 252 Spd / 180 SAtk / 76 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Surf

Tentacruel is my spinner and toxic spikes setter. I try to get 2 layers of toxic spikes whenever I can, but thunderbolt is found on so many teams that it is sometimes hard to. Entry hazards can harm this team because I find myself switching a lot to get the right walls up. I wanted a STAB Surf to get rid of opposing ground/rock types because they can be a small bother for sandstall. Also, the STAB Sludge Bomb helps me get rid of grass types because grass is super against a lot of my team.

[​IMG]
    Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 100 Spd / 202 SAtk / 206 Atk
    Naughty Nature
    - Crunch
    - Superpower
    - Ice Beam
    - Flamethrower

Tyranitar is my late game Mixed sweeper. By the time Tyranitar comes out, the other team should all be damaged. Expert belt helps because with this moveset I can super a large majority of types. Also, Tyranitar creates a sandstorm again in case I am facing another weather team or just a team with a weather blocker.
  2. Alexander.

Alexander. Banned deucer.

Hello there,

Nice stall team you have here so props for it. However, I have some advice to give you so let's go with the rate. Well, first of all, I see that your team lacks a revenge-killer and speedy pokemon in general since it's really slow, therefore I suggest you to change Tyranitar's set in a Choice Scarf. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is a decent revenge-killer and it can also help Tentacruel to Rapid Spin entry hazards away since it can Pursuit ghost-types which block Rapid Spin. I'd use an EV spread of 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP with a moveset of Superpower, Crunch, Pursuit and Stone Edge, with Jolly nature and with Choice Scarf of course. Then, on Tentacruel I'd change Surf into Scald and Liquid Ooze into Rapid Spin because Scald is a better move than Surf since it often burns and because with Rapid Spin you can take advantage of rain teams which are everywhere nowadays. I also suggest you to change Tentacruel's EV spread into 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe because it gives Tentacruel more staying power which is really important in a stall teams as yours since Tentacruel is a defensive pokemon and it must tank some hits during the matches. Next, on Gengar I don't understand why are you using Thunderbolt and Energy Ball which aren't a good move. In my opinion, Substitute and Disable are simple better than Thunderbolt and Energy Ball on Leftovers Gengar so I suggest you to use them. Disable Gengar is a good anti-spinner and with Disable can take advantage of entry hazards too since Disable creates many switches so it would work. After that, I suggest you to use Sturdy replacing Keen Eye since it's simple a better Trait since it allows Skarmory to have an auto-Focus Sash. As last thing, I suggest you to use Storm Drain replacing Suction Cups on Cradily because your team seems weak to rain teams since your only resistance to water-types is Tentacruel and Storm Drain allows Cradily to become a nice check to rain teams too so it would help you a lot.

gl.
  3. hooman90

hooman90

Thanks a bunch, Ima test out the changes later today. The only thing is that for Cradily, since were doing this for Gen IV I can't do storm drain :(. I use it on my Gen V team, and it helps a lot, but definitely a great idea!
  4. Alexander.

Alexander. Banned deucer.

Sorry, I rated this team thinking that it was a BW OU team since it was in the OU teams section.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)