A set i've used on my sand team:
Latios @ Lum Berry
EVS: should be obvious, Modest Nature
Ability: Sand Rush
Tail Glow
Draco Meteor/Spacial Rend
Blue Flare
Aura Sphere/Magic Coat/Spore
Interesting, although I think you should probably have Substitute on there somewhere. I have a similar Dialga set that looks like this:
Dialga @ Lum Berry
EVs: Max everything, Jolly Nature
-Tail Glow
-Substitute
-Milk Drink
-Dragon Pulse

Mine is very much a late game cleaner to come in and finish stuff off once all its counters (particularly Unaware 'mons) are all gone, while yours looks a lot like it could do some hefty damage early game too.

I have been getting into this meta a lot more and am really enjoying it.

I am struggling to find a good Drizzle user though.
This is the set I am using currently and it works alright but am down for a more effect Drizzle summoner.
Giratina @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef / 252 Spd
Calm Nature
- Roar
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute
- Recover

Basically I picked Tina because its bulky as hell and doesnt die easily.
Set is a little weird but I like Roar alot in this Meta as it lets me get rid of set up sweepers as well as shuffling SR damage. D Pulse is here over Spacial Rend because the accuracy is trollsy.
Sub and Recover I am kind of unsure about but cant think of anything better. Sub to avoid Spore etc and Recover to stay alive. Kind of useless though as mostly he just comes in a dies eventually although Roar has been clutch a few times.
Any suggestions?

Hey Mr.Pooh31, I've found Escavalier to be an effective Drizzle user. It has powerful offense with Gyro Ball and Megahorn/U-turn, coupled with strong defenses, with nothing super effective except fire. Keeping him alive isn't too difficult most of the time with a recovery move and to counter Spore I've found Magic Coat to work quite well.

How viable are weatherless teams, currently? I kind of dislike having to waste a slot on my team purely for a weather setter when I could have something like a second Magic Bounce, Prankster or whatever.

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
How viable are weatherless teams, currently? I kind of dislike having to waste a slot on my team purely for a weather setter when I could have something like a second Magic Bounce, Prankster or whatever.
Perfectly viable, if not more so. Weather is not needed to be successful in the slightest.

Alrighty my dudes, I dont really post much or ever but i was fooling around the other day and i made up a set. So looking at this you might say things like "this set sucks" or maybe you are more one of those "according to my scientific calculations this set would only find .645% use so therefore would be completely unplausible to use" so dont bother with those responses hah because you are right but this set is fun and if used properly can be a great late game sweeper. Also i have used it against top players, and the top player, and won so yeah hah just wanted to share it with you.

Thundurus-Therian @ ?
Trait: Speed Boost
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Substitute
- Electro Ball
- Ice Beam

Put whatever item you think is best, they all have their place. but anyway the point is to get up a sub and then tail glow. so then with speed boost you get faster and faster making electro ball hit extremly hard and if you can get +6 and +6 nothing lives beside unawares and careful chansey so yeah, pretty fun little gimmick

Alrighty my dudes, I dont really post much or ever but i was fooling around the other day and i made up a set. So looking at this you might say things like "this set sucks" or maybe you are more one of those "according to my scientific calculations this set would only find .645% use so therefore would be completely unplausible to use" so dont bother with those responses hah because you are right but this set is fun and if used properly can be a great late game sweeper. Also i have used it against top players, and the top player, and won so yeah hah just wanted to share it with you.

Thundurus-Therian @ ?
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Substitute
- Electro Ball
- Ice Beam

Put whatever item you think is best, they all have their place. but anyway the point is to get up a sub and then tail glow. so then with speed boost you get faster and faster making electro ball hit extremly hard and if you can get +6 and +6 nothing lives beside unawares and careful chansey so yeah, pretty fun little gimmick
Looks like Imposter Bait to me. You could run Lefties or Lum Berry to either get more Subs up or dodge a Prankster Spore before getting that Sub up.

MJB

Sup Peeps

Thundurus-Therian @ ?
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Substitute
- Electro Ball
- Ice Beam

I run a very similar set but with swift swim and no substitute. I run Thunder hurricane weather ball tail glow. I have an unaware dialga in the back to deal with impostors. Thundurus wrecks in the meta though.

Thundurus-Therian @ ?
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Substitute
- Electro Ball
- Ice Beam
I certainly won't outright trash the set, but it must be said that any good team will have counters to it, like Unaware 'mons and Pranksters (although this depends a little on the item that you are holding). I can't deny its simplicity and brutal efficiency should you remove these counters from your opponent's team though.

I have a similar Dialga set that looks like this:
Dialga @ Lum Berry
-Tail Glow
-Substitute
-Milk Drink
-Dragon Pulse

Mine is very much a late game cleaner to come in and finish stuff off once all its counters (particularly Unaware 'mons) are all gone, while yours looks a lot like it could do some hefty damage early game too.
I have an identical set on my sand team. Except with Unburden and a Dragon Gem. Works wonders late game once it's counters are out of the way.

Also have been testing this lately:

Durant @ Metronome
Ability: Serene Grace
~ Iron Head
~ Force Palm/Sacred Fire
~ Heal Order
~ Substitute

Burn is handy on all the physical threats but I've found being able to paralyse a few pokemon can help me set up sweeps later in the game. The premise is pretty obvious, paralyse and pound away with Iron Head. Thoughts?

Cool set :

Deoxys-Speed @ Leftovers
Trait: Moody
Timid Nature
- Imprison
- Heart Swap
- Substitute
- Stored Power

Imprison + heart swap means nothing can heart swap moody boosts, and also imposters cant do anything but struggle. Stored power kills everything with enough boosts.

Why there is no sleep clause ? just started playing this metagame and everything having spore is just complete madness having to run lum berry or even magic bounce on several pokes is insane
And the Lack of Ubers separation ruins a lot of the fun

MJB

Sup Peeps
Why there is no sleep clause ? just started playing this metagame and everything having spore is just complete madness having to run lum berry or even magic bounce on several pokes is insane
And the Lack of Ubers separation ruins a lot of the fun
There doesn't need to be, there are plenty of ways to deal with sleep. We talk about it a fair bit in the BH smogcast if you haven't seen that already but the short story is, its easy enough to handle.

yes running lum berry or loads of magic bounce Pokemon. i find that bad because if this metagame is to go wild with moves and abilities having to run that is just a waste of potential
I find the fact that ubers run rampart and magic bounce is everywhere disturbing

MJB

Sup Peeps
yes running lum berry or loads of magic bounce Pokemon. i find that bad because if this metagame is to go wild with moves and abilities having to run that is just a waste of potential
I find the fact that ubers run rampart and magic bounce is everywhere disturbing
I dont get the problem with ubers... why not use them? you are going to need to be more specific there.

Anyway, in the team i built yesterday i have 1 magic bounce mon, 1 toxic orb mon and 1 lum berry mon. Sleep is not a problem. I dont see this as excessive or tricky to handle or anything. If you have trouble with sleep the problem is your team, not sleep. Everyone else seems to be able to handle it fine (as far as I can tell anyway)

I've never had an issue with Sleep, as it's not so rampant with the threat of Magic Bounce being everywhere, as well as Magic Coat. Lum berry and Toxic OrbHeal mons also deal well with it.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The most effective sleep inducer is probably lead Deoxys-S with Mold Breaker + Spore and usually Lum Berry. This is because it just does not give a shit about Magic Bounce; Usually the most effective way to counter sleep cuz you know, throw it back in his face.

How I like to play around it is have a Lum Berry lead with a slow momentum move. First, you let it absorb the spore, either U-Turn or Volt Switch out of there, into a Poison Heal mon. Or maybe if it is a strong U-Turn and you have something with Copycat, you might be able to just "2HKO" it. Other than Mold Breaker Spore, just predict right with Magic Bounce, and it will all be good. Another idea is to run a cleric that has Magic Bounce, so you cannot get Spored by non-Mold Breaker mons.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I used to be really good at Balanced Hackmons, I was like 106-8-1 or something like that and peaked at third on the original ladder. Trouble is my heyday was like January 2011 and I haven't really followed the metagame since then. Any advice from current players on how to get back into the meta?

The BH metagame was veery different back then, the best way to ladder is to make teams differently. Here is an example. Let's just say you're using Giratina as your bouncer and Heatran as your hazard Pokemon (without Mold Breaker) Try not to let Heatran counter your own Giratina, never be imposter-weak. Many high-level players often exploit a noticeable hole in the opponents anti-imposter. You will also usually need key Pokemons in a team, at least 1 bouncer, a few with Magic Coat if possible, 1 Pokemon that can singularly stop Imposters, 1 prankster is recommended, 1 heart swapper is recommended (with Unaware or Prankster), 1 solid Unaware Pokemon is recommended, and 1 Taunter is recommended. Now for good Unaware Pokemon: Kyogre is good for sun because very few powerful attackers can outdamage its recovery, Jirachi is good for rain for the same reason, and Shuckle is great for sand. For a weatherless team, Chansey, Arceus, Lugia, and Cresselia are all solid options. Try to counter the common Pokemons such as Drizzle Specs Palkia, Prankster Nature Power Rhydon, and Poison Heal Regigigas. Countering these 3 is almost mandatory in the current metagame. Dry Skin Pokemons like Registeel with Mail can counter Palkia, Magic Bounce Lugia can counter Rhydon, and Magic Bounce Skarmory can counter Regigigas. If you need more help, you can find me in Pokemon Showdown! I'm currently using Adrian Ladder at 30-1 and my other account, Adrian Marin.test has 122-8.​

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
no offense to adrian, but as he wasnt around back then, he has very little clue what hes talking about ._. Imposters need to be considered if anything less than they used to, the biggest metagame shifts have been generally towards defense, with things like unaware becoming much more common, and set up sweeping in general struggling more. really though, the metagame hasnt changed that much since the most recent bans other than those slow changes

The metagame was very different on which pokemons were used before. It was more setup sweeping oriented and contrary oriented, now it's the time of direct-attacking. Try playing a game right now, you'll see how the mass player-base changed.

Imanalt, I would just like to point out that double chansey teams are often able to devastate a lot of defensive teams because of infinite PP stalling tactics, and that chansey is potent both against stall teams and non stall teams. Also, Adrian was right- make sure you never get beat by an impostered version of your own mon.

Going to also back up Adrian here - Imposter is mandatory to check, be it by using judgment or changing your movesets to accommodate the introduction of one move. One could put forward the argument that if you're weak to that kind of set that your team has an exploitable flaw, but you have to remember that Chansey can almost always stay in as long as it likes with its massive bulk, which is unlike other mons. If by having chansey the opponent can wreck your team, you will usually be left in a bad position.

While defense is still very viable, the metagame is more weather-offence oriented now than it ever has been while stall has fallen out of favor with the introduction of absurdly strong weather abusers.

Finally, while unaware is very common nowadays, set-up sweeping is far from struggling. Anti-unaware moves, such as taunt and gastro acid are very real possibilities on non-contrary sweepers, and contrary sweepers can usually use trick, crippling the unaware user for the rest of the game.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The metagame was very different on which pokemons were used before. It was more setup sweeping oriented and contrary oriented, now it's the time of direct-attacking. Try playing a game right now, you'll see how the mass player-base changed.

Well I mean when I played there was also the fact that Pure Power/Huge Power were still legal, no one used Heart Swap, no one used Imposter, and there were many exploitable bugs that people used. For example, I ran a set up sweeper in Arceus-Dragon that had Leftovers. Sturdy Shedinja was in its heyday at that point. The biggest thing was that everyone used Deoxys-S as a lead, and Magic Bounce and Prankster were the best abilities. I actually invented a set back in the day with the help of another player (can't remember at the moment who it was, probably imanalt or verbatim though) that saw some pretty common usage, maybe it still has some use today. It was the Mold Breaker Gastro Acid lead that lots of people ended up running.

Anyway I ended up making a team with a few things I heard from perusing this thread and watching the Balanced Hackmons Smogcast so I'll test it out eventually.

Okay I already know u guys are going to get on my ass about this set, but sometimes rolling the dice aint such a bad thing especially when the odds are in your favor. Since most no guard pokes run inferno and zap cannon and other annoying crap, hydration gira will not care.
Giratina @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef / 252 Spd
Calm Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Minimize
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)