1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Metagame Gen V Balanced Hackmons

Discussion in 'Other Metagames' started by verbatim, Mar 17, 2012.

1. jamashawalker

jamashawalker

2. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Deer Lord
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Breaking Species Clause gets scary when you have a team of six Imposter Blissey. The last time that happened, I managed to take out four of my opponent's Blissey. I pray that it never happens again...
  3. AasTmO

AasTmO

@jamashawalker: Hence why I questioned Moody.. I think it's just as strong in this tier, perhaps even stronger as /everything/ can Baton Pass the boosts away to another Pokémon. If Moody Bibarel wasn't easy to take down in Ubers, I think you can imagine the effects of Moody Registeel/Regigigas/Giratina/Blissey. Blissey gets special mention for passing HUGE HEALTH substitutes to whatever needs it.. The fun of passing a Blissey substitute to Shuckle is high, for you at least. You effectively double his HP.. but with a immunity to status :) While you moodily set up boosts, the opponent is quite powerless.. A sub will be up at all times, so Imposter Blissey will be very sad, too.
  4. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Deer Lord
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

From what I've seen, Moody is actually pretty underwhelming. And with Heart Swap becoming more and more common, you might just lose the Moody boosts in a heartbeat.
  5. PokeSprites

PokeSprites

Balanced Hackmons is so much fun, so many possibilities! Anyways here's a set that I found really fun:

Latios @ Soul Dew
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Shell Smash/Quiver Dance
    - Stored Power
    - Spacial Rend

Basically, come in on anything trying to spore or set-up hazards. Set up a sub, shell smash/quiver dance and sweep.
  6. AasTmO

AasTmO

Meh, Heart Swap does run all over Moody, yes.. Apart from that it can manage quite fine to assist a Baton Pass chain.
  7. verbatim

verbatim Red like Roses
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderator

I've had Moody run against me and I have to say that it's not that effective. Slaking/Regigigas will 2hko anything even if it gets a +2 in defense and Whirlwind is way too common.
  8. AasTmO

AasTmO

2HKO's dont matter with a cycle of Sub/Protect, and that's what Moody Giratina exists for.. Magic Coat is there for Whirlwind. Once you got some Evasion, 2HKOes are not that usual anymore... Heart Swap is really the only problem I've encountered so far.
  9. Bort

Bort

I use safeguard on my prankster dialga and it's pretty cool. You can set it up before going for spore to scout for magic bounce or magic coat without wasting your lum berry. Also mold breaker + taunt shuts down a lot of shenanigans but I've never seen it used against me (I do have fewer than ten matches in the tier though).
  10. phoopes

phoopes The Boss
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Anyone ever thought about doing an RMT for this tier? If it would be approved, I could post my old team that I was extremely successful.
  11. Stallion

Stallion Winner of the "Smogon's Prettiest Girl of All Time" comp
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Just faced a guy running Snow Warning Ferrothorn, Magic Guard LO Mewtwo, Contrary Kyurem and Sub/Protect/Rapid Spin/Dragon Tail Ice Body Giratina. Honestly that was a pretty cool team core lol, it was a close battle until his Giratina managed to just survive a + 2 Slaking Shadow Sneak (I really should change to a more powerful move) and spin away my hazards!
  12. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Deer Lord
    Mentor

I just played that guy twice. Both battles consisted of weather wars. The first time, he stalled me out, and the second time he disconnected because I killed his Shell Smash Mewtwo. (Prankster Groudon for the win.)

Weather war in Balanced Hackmons is terrifying, especially when it's Sand vs. Hail and one team is almost always taking damage. It's like that one OU match you had where the weather changed every other turn except with the looming threat of something you didn't expect turning the game around.
  13. phoopes

phoopes The Boss
    is a Battle Server Moderator

I tried using weather in Hackmons, but I found that a no weather team that could adapt to any weather worked a lot better for me. Because I had something that could take advantage of everything, rather than be screwed if my weather went down. (Though Sturdydinja was the definition of frail in Sand and Hail, I didn't need to use it too much.)
  14. Aeromence

Aeromence

I've found this set to be extremely effective. Smash while the opponent switches to a defencive mon, sub on the whirlwind, and smash again to wreck shit:

Mewtwo @ White Herb
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    Timid Nature
    - Shell Smash
    - Stored Power / Psystrike
    - Substitute
    - Aura Sphere

It goes really well with Regigigas / slaking and shadow tag perish song giratina
  15. Professor Science

Professor Science

I'm wondering, what's the standard moveset for Slaking/Regigigas?
    Anyway I'm theorymonning this to be ok:
    Gengar@Spooky Plate
    Modest nature
    Magic Bounce/Prankster
    Judgement
    Aura Sphere
    Tail Glow / Shell Smash
    Substitue / Spore

The best thing about this is that Impostor Blissey can't stop it. If it comes in, it's Judgement will be Normal type since it doesn't have a Spooky Plate, thus allowing Gengar to beat it every time. It can also set up against a Choice Band Slaking locked into Extremespeed. If it gets a chance to set up (especially twice), then be prepared for a sweep. The choice between Tail Glow and Shell Smash is simple- either boost faster with Tail Glow, or be able to beat faster threats like Deoxys-S with Shell Smash. The last slot is variable too- Substitute to guarantee some extra time, or Spore to cripple something without Magic Bounce.

What makes Gengar unique is excellent Speed and Special Attack, and an equally excellent typing, making it immune to most of the priority moves in Balanced Hackmons. It's perfect neutral coverage in just two moves is the icing on the cake.

You can choose between Magic Bounce and Prankster. The former is reliable in many situations, mainly for Prankster Sporers, while Prankster can be used with some prediction to Spore a slower Prankster user. However, you must be careful with the second option, since if you use Spore against a Magic Bouncer or attack a Prankster user, then Gengar's as good as dead. Still, in theory, with Prankster Spore, this is theoretically unbeatable, assuming you know the opponent's ability.

Opinions?
  16. gvmgvm40

gvmgvm40 formerly Plopper

Substitute doesn't cause Whirlwind to fail.

EDIT: oh right, sorry
  17. NTT

NTT

I've been toying with trying out a full weather team, I currently use Drought on my team to support Contrary Ho-oh but that's about as far as I've pushed weather. Had a couple of interesting ideas for sand though which I might try out.
  18. DDRMaster

DDRMaster

It has Magic Bounce so the user of Whirlwind will be forced out instead.
  19. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Deer Lord
    Mentor

Some feedback:

-Shadow Ball and Lum Berry over Judgement and Spooky Plate. I used to run Knock Off Giratina, and I can't be the only one who runs Knock Off. If you lost that Plate your coverage goes from perfect to shit in one turn.
    -All stat boosters should use Substitute. No exceptions.
    -Timid over Modest. Outspeeding Groudon (if it too has Prankster - which isn't exactly rare) is too important.
  20. akela

akela

Sand Stream Dialga with Quiver Dance, Roost, Aura Sphere, and Spacial Rend.

Routinely destroys me. 6-0 constantly. Destroyed, destroyed, destroyed, destroyed, destroyed, destroyed. Longest battle was 7 turns, thanks to me giving Focus Sash to one of my Pokemon.

What I do know is that it is faster than Deoxys-S with ExtremeSpeed, prior to stat enhancements.
  21. zero2exe

zero2exe Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Wouldn't that beat the idea of Gengar being a perfect counter for imposter blissey? Besides isn't substitue meant to block knock off's effect as well? :O
  22. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Deer Lord
    Mentor

...I just realized that. Regardless, without Substitute, Slaking can come in and Shadow Sneak it.
  23. Imanalt

Imanalt WHY BUNNELBY DO HAVE FUR?
    is a Tiering Contributor

Not that slakign runs shadow sneak very often...

I have actually found that LO gengar with shadow ball aura sphere tail glow and magic coat fares well at kiling 50% or lower hp slakings, although it needs to be paired with entrainment bliss or youre opening yourself up to blissey sweeping you
  24. AfroThunderRule

AfroThunderRule *yawn* ez
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Basic question: Slaking or Regigigas?
  25. AasTmO

AasTmO

In most cases Slaking due to higher Base Defense, and Balanced Hackmons is usually physically orientated.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)