[GEN V] Bulky Rain offensive.

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Yllnath, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Yllnath

Yllnath

Introduction

This is my first serious team for Gen V and I didn't keep track much of what the bog standards are and which aren't. I just grabbed 6 pokemon that I feel work decent together and that I personally like. However, as I normally always copy pasta my entire sets from Smogon analysis' and seeing as there are no analysis' yet on the Smogon site, the sets may seem a little shitty built. My bad. Didn't mean to. So please overlook (as in, don't flame me on this part) the obvious ignorant flaws I may have made on the details, and please help me make this team a good one.

Team building

When building this team, I wanted to make a team that was capable of abusing rain, while also being labeled as a bulky offense team.

And obviously, every rain team lacking Swift Swim should include the Drizzler.
    [​IMG]
    The toad was my starting point, but before even starting to construct this team, there were 2 pokemon I wanted to use no matter what.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I've pretty much always used Scizor on rain teams before, as it's fire weakness being halved is a great thing, and because the CB variant is just a beast. He was automatically included. Dragonite, I've been wanting to try for some time, because of the Gale/Windstorm/Hurricane (hurry up with the English proper names already, between Serebii, Smogon and Pokemon Online, there are 3 different versions zzz) move that gave Dragonite a new niche to abuse as a rain dragon. And with Kingdra no longer having that the main spot on a rain team as the rain dragon, I wanted to try this guy out.

The next guy is a pokemon I saw on another rain dance team, and the hurt he inflicts is so omgamazing, I wanted to try him.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Yes, CB Azumarill inflicts major butthurt, and he's in, if only for his redicilous offensive prowess as my main water-type physical rain abuser.

Rain + Thunder = 100 points *Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding*.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I've wanted a good electric type pokemon to abuse some STAB Thunder fun, and I was basically deciding between Jolteon, Zapdos and Voltolos/Borutorosu/Thundurus/whatever. The genie eventually won for his Mischievous nature. I like a good playful genie. But as I still wanted a lead, as I didn't want to lead with my green toad, and as +1 priority Taunt is a beautiful thing in the lead position, this guy scored the full 100 points (Ding ding ding?)

As for some bulk, and the fact I love me some ducks and platypus, I included a certain fiesta duck to brighten up the party.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Ludicolo takes the role of shitting on other water types and wearing bulky or set-up pokes down with Subseed.

They are a fun bunch but need some TLC to really shine. Hope you can help me with that.

The party beasts

[​IMG]
    Electric Genie @ Leftovers
    Ability: Mischievous Heart
    Nature: Bold
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.A
    Moveset:
    -
    Volt Change
    - Thunder
    - Taunt
    - Thunder Wave

G. (short for Genie) over here is my lead, as far as a true lead still exists. If I don't see any need to switch someone else to the lead position, I start of with G, Taunt the hell out of set up leads, or Thunder Wave anything that would hate paralysis, or just E-turn the hell out. I love me some free damage while also getting the good momentum by getting to pick who to send out against the current opponent, yee.

[​IMG]
    Politoed @ Zoom Lens
    Ability: Drizzle
    Nature: Modest
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 Sp.A / 4 Sp.Def
    IV's: 0 Spe
    Moveset:
    - Hydro Pump
    - Focus Blast
    - Hypnosis
    - Toxic

Lo and behold, a slow toad. I love this set, as it's challenging to use because you're basically making shit harder on yourself. (But it's fun!) Zoom lens only kicks in when you are slower, and thus the 0 Spe IV's. Really, whenever I move first, I'm always like, "Grrr, I'm faster, how annoying ^^". Who needs speed when you can get hit first, amiright?
    Zoom Lens does have the bonus edge over Wide lens, as it provides a whopping 20% accuracy increase, instead of 10% for Wide Lens. As the 3 moves that I just absolutely love on my toad require accuracy (and I don't care much about getting a hit first), I chose Zoom Lens (and thus 0 IV's instead). These 3 moves being Hydro Pump, just because it does major damage; Focus Blast, because it pretty much deals with the 2/4 of the other weather changers, Ttar and Abomasnow (And Hippowdon doesn't like Hydro Pump); and Hypnosis is just always useful. All 3 of these moves can use as much accuracy as they can get.
    The 4th move was pretty much ini mini miny moe (if that's how you spell it), and could probably be filled in with something better, as I haven't toxicated one thing yet with this toad.

[​IMG]
    Scizor @ Choice Band
    Ability: Technician
    Nature: Adamant
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Moveset:
    -
    U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

This guy shouldn't need much explaining, really. U-turn takes mighty big chunks out of most grass pokemon that want to ruin my watery fun, and is an amazing scouting move. BP is for obvious revenge killing. Pursuit deals with a certain green blobbish teddy bear that is too darn cute. Superpower deals with the one grass U-turn doesn't deal with, as well as a few dozen other pokes. Weee

[​IMG]
    Dragonite @ Life Orb
    Ability: Multi-Scale
    Nature: Rash
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 Sp.A / 4 Atk
    Moveset:
    -
    Roost
    - HurriGaleStormetc
    - Thunder
    - Aqua Jet

I screwed him up, I know, but rain Dragonite is pretty darn fun, especially that Hurricane. Takes might big chunks out of.. well, just about anything, really. Thunder under rain is self-explanatory. I chose Roost over an additional attacking move or a boosting move, as Roost allows Multi-Scale to work more often, as well as give me the freedom to use Life Orb to hit harder with the moves I do use.
    I chose Aqua Jet over Espeed, as under rain, the power difference isn't that great, AJ suddenly becomes 60 BP. Additionally, the things AJ hit SE are more important than the added power Espeed gives on the targets AJ would hit neutral on. For example, Excadrill.

[​IMG]
    Azumarill @ Choice Band
    Ability: Huge Power
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Moveset:
    -
    Aqua Jet
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Punch
    - Superpower

You sexy beast, you, Scizor 2.0. The set is really self-explanatory. Under rain, this little critter does some scary damage with just a 40 BP move. Azumarill is my high damage dealer, so someone else can clean up, but also functions fine as a revenge killer.

[​IMG]
    Fiesta duck @ Leftovers
    Ability: Rain Dish
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp.Def
    Moveset:
    -
    Substitute
    - Leech Seed
    - Focus Punch
    - Waterfall/Seed Bomb/Toxic

SubSeed pokemon are dangerous critters. SubPunch is some scary damage. SubSeedPunch is tons of fun, especially on a pokemon that heals up like crazy with Leftovers and Rain Dish and has some reasonable to go along with it.
    The 4th moveslot is where I need help. I keep switching between Waterfall and Seed Bomb based on my battles, and obviously, with my luck, in the battles I have Waterfall, I could've used Seed Bomb far better, and vice versa. For that reason I opting to just let go of either of the two moves entirely and get Toxic, some more bulk in my EV's, and use Focus Punch only to get rid of the nasty steels that plan to ruin my poisoning fun.

Type Chart
    [​IMG]

Conclusion

The sets I used for the different pokemon are subpar at best, and I'm sure someone who has more understanding of this can help me create better EV spreads and tell me what natures to use.
    Other than that, I'm very curious to here you comment on my team, suggest different moves or even different pokemon if that would work better for my team.
    Thanks in advance for taking your time to rate and comment on my team!
  2. Blue_Star

Blue_Star
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Well, pok├ęs with rock or electric attacks will have fun with this team, so I suggest using nattorei over azumaril or scizor
  3. Yllnath

Yllnath

Defensively speaking, you are right. A pokemon like Nattorei would help a lot with electric or rock attacks. Offensively speaking, he does nothing for me though, and Scizor and Azumarill net me the most kills by far every match. I'm more likely to throw in a Gliscor or Nidoking instead of Nattorei somewhere to resist the electric and rock problems as those two at least leave me with offensive capabilities. I don't like a stall team, I prefer bulky offense.
  4. shrang

shrang OM OM OM
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

I am seriously going to start counting how many times I'm going to say the above. After a Calm Mind, it literally OHKOs everything on your team. You're also horribly Thunder(bolt) weak, meaning something like Specs Jolteon, NP Voltlos or anything like that would also 6-0 you. I'd suggest changing Ludicolo (who really isn't doing much except adding a Grass/Electric neutral Pokemon on your team. I'd suggest:

1) Change Dragonite to Lati@s. Either use Calm Mind if you're using Latias or full offensive (Specs or LO + 3 attacks) if using Latios (needs Psycho Shock). This provides you with a Birijion counter, as well as an Electric resist AND a Grass resist, two types that flat out destroy Rain teams.
    2) Change Ludicolo to Nattorei - I know "offensively speaking", Nattorei doesn't do much for you, but neither is Ludicolo, since he's pretty piss weak anyway. With Nattorei around, you can throw up Stealth Rock and Spikes, which help you break down your opponent more easily.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)