Gen V Dragons and Steels

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by vassak, Feb 14, 2011.

1. vassak

vassak

Dragons didn't really get many new toys to play with this generation. Aside from Dragon Tail and Dual Chop (Double Chop), they didn't get any new moves, and two of the new dragons introduced have deleterious secondary typings that add additional weaknesses without adding anything to overcome steel-types (Kyurem - Dragon/Ice, Sazandora - Dragon/Dark). However, with the Lati twins, Garchomp, and Salamence all dropping down from gen IV ubers, the sheer power of Haxorus (Ononokusu), and the general statistical superiority afforded by the dragon typing both offensively and defensively, this team was created to smash through steel types and overwhelm the opponent quickly and decisively.

The goal of this team is to use my three dragon-types and their powerful STAB moves to quickly net KOs, bringing in Cresselia to set up dual screens and then Lunar Dance another dragon back to full capacity. The last two spots go to Steel-type Pokemon who crucially resist the dragon and ice attacks that three of my Pokemon are weak to, and armed with specialized sets to take out specific threats. It focuses heavily on offensive synergy rather than defensive, which has proved to be a useful strategy, hovering around 1300 on Smogon’s server.

So, here goes:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

--
    [​IMG]
    Haxorus (Ononokusu) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 252 Atk, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    -Outrage
    -Dual Chop (Double Chop)
    -Earthquake
    -Brick Break

This guy is simply a monster with a Choice band, and as often as not my lead. An attack stat of 648 combined with a STAB 120 base power move just absolutely wrecks even steel-types brought in to resist it (see calcs below). Dual Chop deals with Substitute users while also giving the ability to switch once used. Earthquake gives decent coverage against steels, and Brick break is to have a shot at hitting Steel types with Balloon (and Ferrothorn) hard without locking into Outrage. He also is the best answer I have to slower set-up pokemon (CM Reuniclus, Curse users, etc) who are killed or at least sufficiently weakened before they have a chance to become a threat.

Outrage vs 248/0 Scizor - 51.6% - 60.6% 2HKO
    Outrage vs 0/4 Heatran - 52% - 61.3% 2HKO
    Outrage vs 252/252+ def Reuniclus (Rankurusu) - 72.2% - 85.1% 2HKO, OKHOs max SpA versions
    Outrage vs 4/0 Jirachi - 51.8% - 60.8% 2HKO
    Outrage vs 252/252+ Gliscor - 61.9% - 72.9% 2HKO
    Outrage vs 0/4 Excadrill - 73.7% - 86.7% 2HKO
    Outrage vs 252/252+ Burungel (Burungeru) - 79% - 93.1% 2HKO

Brick Break vs 252/252+ Ferrothorn 50% - 59.1% possible 2HKO after leftovers, easy 2HKO on versions with any SpD
    Brick Break vs 0/4 Heatran 86.7% - 102.2% possible OKHO
    Brick Break vs 0/4 Excadrill 123% - 145.2% OKHO

[​IMG]
    Garchomp @ Life Orb
    Ability: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Fire Fang

There is not much to be said about a standard LO + 4 attacks Garchomp. Fire fang is there to deal with Ferrothorn and Scizor. Stone Edge is there to hit Balloon Heatran and also to provide fantastic super effective coverage with his other moves against threats like Zapdos, Volcarona (Urugamosa), and the Ground/Flying types. I’ve considered changing out Stone Edge for Dragon Tail, but with no entry hazards to abuse, the extra coverage is superior.

[​IMG]
    Latios @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 Def, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    -Draco Meteor
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Trick/Dragon pulse

My third and final dragon, tearing apart slower Pokes with its decent coverage and revenge killing like no other. Draco Meteor is a fantastic STAB attack, though the SpA drop really hurts sometimes. It gets the famous boltbeam coverage and uses it well, as well as Trick to take care of set-up pokes. Dragon pulse could be slashed in the last spot, but having a secondary option to deal with Reuniclus aside from “Smash it with Haxorus” is more important than late-game cleaning.

[​IMG]
    Cresselia @ Light Clay
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Hp, 160 Def, 96 SpD
    Nature: Bold
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Lunar Dance
    -Ice Beam

Not a whole lot to gawk at here. The idea is that once Haxorus has smashed one or two things with Outrage, my opponent will be hurting. Cresselia then sets up dual screens and Lunar Dances someone - preferably Haxorus - back to full health (and rid of any burns/sleep/poison, making a status absorber unnecessary). From behind screens, Haxorus is very difficult to even 2HKO without a 4x weakness to exploit, and continue his smashing business. If he happens to have fainted though, any weakened member or favorable switch can be brought in to enjoy Lunar Dance. Ice beam was chosen over toxic to hit Taunt Gliscor and Substitute Gengar. She’s fast enough even without investment to set up a reflect before most Scizor or Tyranitar have a chance to use U-Turn/Crunch/Pursuit, and bulky enough to take the hits and die on her own time. She's not meant to wall things indefinitely though - she usually only comes in once per match.

[​IMG]
    Magnezone @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Magnet pull
    EVs: 4 Def, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
    Nature: Modest
    -Thunderbolt
    -Flash Cannon
    -Hidden Power: Fire
    -Volt Change

It has been well established that my team does not like steels. Magnezone helps remedy this issue. All Nattorei are OKHOd by Hidden Power: Fire (with the exception of the very rare 252/252+ specially defensive, which are OKHOd half the time). It also handles Foretress and Skarmory, leaving very few steel-type pokemon able to contend with my powerful dragon attacks. It can also switch into Gyarados’s Dragon Dance, eat the Waterfall, and Volt Change out with a bit of health hoping to either catch a Lunar Dance or simply net another trap kill.

[​IMG]
    Lucario @ Balloon
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 Atk, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly
    -Close Combat
    -Extremespeed
    -Ice Punch
    -Swords Dance

Even with steels gone, there are a few Pokemon that my team just cannot handle well. Excadrill (Doryuuzu) can tear apart my team in a sandstorm, as I have nothing faster than it, and Gliscor’s excellent physical bulk, coverage, and recovery in Poison Heal makes him a massive pain. That’s where Lucario comes in. Being a capable late-game cleaner in his own right, he is able to comfortably survive one round of punishment and KO with the appropriate move. Balloon expands the number of foes he can revenge kill, most notably to Excadrill and opposing Garchomp (excluding SD variants, whom Latios can revenge kill). He is best saved until late game so that his balloon remains intact.

This team overall has trouble with Gliscor, who can wall most physical attacks and stall out turns of Outrage with Protect, as well as sub/disable Gengar, who can take advantage of choiced attackers and set up a sub and start whittling down my team with powerful Focus Blasts. Venusaur is also a huge threat with the new Growth mechanics, able to take out multiple Pokemon in the sun with a combination of Sleep powder and Hidden Power: Fire (my best bet being to let someone eat the sleep, switch to Cresselia to set up screens, and then switch out to Garchomp to threaten with Fire Fang). Overall, careful switching and preserving of steels on my opponent’s part can wear down my team with entry hazards, which it has none of its own to abuse. Also, three of my team members are weak to Dragon and Ice, making these sorts of attackers tough to counter.
  2. vassak

vassak

Gentle bump.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)