1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen V Initial NU Metagame Thread

Discussion in 'BW NU' started by Oglemi, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oglemi

Oglemi THE DREAM IS REAL
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

Hey all, with the latest usage statistics we are finally able to create the bottom-most tier, NeverUsed! Here the worst of the worst duke it out to be top dog. Will NU be the only non-weather centric metagame? Which Pokemon will be deemed too powerful? How big of an influence is Eviolite going to have on the metagame? All cool stuff to figure out in this new exciting territory!

Thanks to Antar and yours truly, the BW Dex has been updated with the full list of NU Pokemon.

NU will stay static short of usage stat changes for quite a while though, so have fun with whatever may be broken in the tier for some time!

The Smogon PO Server will be updated with the new tier in due time.

So here is tentatively what is not allowed in NU. Everything not listed here is up for grabs.

Code:
    [B]Uber:[/B]

Mewtwo
    Lugia
    Ho-Oh
    Blaziken
    Kyogre
    Groudon
    Rayquaza
    Deoxys
    Garchomp
    Dialga
    Palkia
    Giratina
    Manaphy
    Darkrai
    Arceus
    Deoxys-A
    Shaymin-S
    Giratina-O
    Excadrill
    Thundurus
    Reshiram
    Zekrom

[B]OU:[/B]

Venusaur
    Ninetales
    Tentacruel
    Cloyster
    Gengar
    Starmie
    Gyarados
    Vaporeon
    Dragonite
    Politoed
    Espeon 
    Forretress
    Scizor
    Skarmory
    Blissey
    Tyranitar
    Celebi 
    Swampert
    Breloom
    Salamence
    Metagross
    Latias
    Latios
    Jirachi
    Infernape
    Gastrodon 
    Bronzong
    Lucario
    Toxicroak
    Magnezone
    Gliscor
    Heatran
    Rotom-W
    Deoxys-S
    Conkeldurr
    Scrafty
    Reuniclus
    Jellicent
    Ferrothorn
    Haxorus
    Mienshao
    Hydreigon
    Volcarona
    Terrakion
    Virizion
    Landorus

[B]BL:[/B]

Wobbuffet
    Staraptor
    Kyurem

[B]UU:[/B]

Blastoise 
    Nidoqueen
    Nidoking
    Arcanine
    Machamp 
    Slowbro
    Chansey
    Jolteon
    Aerodactyl
    Snorlax
    Zapdos
    Mew
    Crobat
    Xatu
    Azumarill
    Umbreon 
    Heracross
    Houndoom
    Kingdra
    Donphan
    Porygon2 
    Hitmontop
    Raikou
    Suicune
    Flygon
    Milotic
    Dusclops
    Registeel
    Empoleon
    Roserade
    Ambipom
    Mismagius
    Spiritomb
    Hippopotas
    Hippowdon 
    Abomasnow
    Weavile
    Rhyperior 
    Togekiss
    Mamoswine
    Froslass
    Azelf
    Cresselia
    Shaymin
    Rotom-H
    Deoxys-D
    Victini
    Stoutland 
    Whimsicott 
    Darmanitan 
    Sigilyph
    Zoroark
    Escavalier
    Chandelure 
    Golurk 
    Bisharp
    Cobalion
    Tornadus 

[B]BL2:[/B]
    Alakazam
    Venomoth
    Sableye
    Yanmega

[B]RU:[/B]

Charizard 
    Sandslash
    Clefable
    Primeape
    Victreebel 
    Hitmonlee
    Hitmonchan
    Scyther
    Omastar
    Kabutops
    Moltres
    Typhlosion
    Feraligatr
    Gligar
    Steelix
    Qwilfish
    Entei
    Sceptile
    Ludicolo
    Hariyama
    Aggron
    Medicham
    Manectric
    Sharpedo
    Crawdaunt
    Claydol
    Honchkrow
    Munchlax
    Drapion
    Tangrowth
    Electivire
    Porygon-Z
    Gallade
    Dusknoir
    Rotom
    Uxie
    Rotom-C
    Lilligant
    Krookodile
    Crustle
    Cofagrigus
    Archeops
    Sawsbuck 
    Galvantula
    Ferroseed
    Accelgor
    Bouffalant
    Mandibuzz
    Durant

2. Fire Blast

Fire Blast

I think you mean Gen V Initial NU Metagame Thread

Seems like an interesting mteagame to play! I've been hoping to use some of those pokemon successfully (Emboar)
  3. tomtom5858

tomtom5858

HAHA OGLEMI CAN'T STICKY THINGS HERE. Anyways, this looks pretty badass. Thanks!
  4. Tyranitarphantom

Tyranitarphantom

inb4 "Gorebyss will rape everything"

Anyways, a bunch of interesting things down here, including Gorebyss, Eelektross, Gardevoir, Torterra, Masquerain/Mothim/Butterfree, and Rotom-F/Rotom-S

Also heres hoping that Simisage/Simisear/Simipour will be viable down here. Gothitelle too, I'd love for her to finally see use
  5. Sunbeam

Sunbeam

YES! Finally BW NU =D. Can't wait to play this when the server gets updated.
  6. DTC

DTC ˢᵉʳᶦᵒᵘˢ
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

This looks really cool. :)

Sub Emboar with Sub / Fire Blast / Hammer Arm / Wild Charge will probably be really good as it can break through 4 of some of the biggest defensive threats in the tier (Tangela, Miltank, Audino and Slowking) while setting up a sub on 2 of them.

Some big threats I see in this new meta are: Tangela, Miltank, Audino, Slowking, Mespirit, Tauros, Bravairy, Sawk, Lickilicky, Swellow, Magmortar and Scolipede.

Will be quite interesting, I wonder how this tier will go. I notice there is a severe lack of spinners in this tier and many of them face some pretty big flaws. (Lack of recovery and weak to SR will be the biggest problems.)
  7. Lemonade.

Lemonade. fluffy bird
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Zwelious looks really good, especially since the Steel-types with high defense are 4x weak to Ground AND Fighting so partners will be of no shortage. Maybe 'Ton and Marowak and even Trick Room support ;) ? Although Eviolite Tangela will have pretty high defense o break through....and there's that Hustle 80% accuracy thing too

Also, I find it odd Gorebyss is down here if people were complaining about it upstairs. Whatever ~
  8. NoJohns

NoJohns

The best late game sweeper in the game is NU (again).

Time to prove yourself, Linoone. Now where did my salac berry run off to...
  9. locoghoul

locoghoul

Seems like a TR tier imo. Banette (set up), Rampardos, Ursaring, Marowak, Wailord, Emboar just to name a few.
  10. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick

Wow, UU, RU, and now NU are my landscape to paint a bloody picture with Exeggutor. Muwahahahaha
  11. GDK

GDK

Wow there are not a lot of spinners down there.

SR will bring rape and destruction.
  12. 2sly4u

2sly4u

Not too many Steel/Ghosts. Tauros could be pretty damn good down here.
  13. Phi

Phi

The list of spinners is pretty short and hilarious and with all the SR weak pokemon stuffed down there I'm wondering how people will try to make them work out. If the strategy dex is right, NU's selection of Rapid Spinners includes among its non-SR weak members Spinda and Eviolite Wartortle, and otherwise has Armaldo, Cryogonal and Delibird. On the other hand Probopass and Bastiodon are kinda crappy but sturdy basically guarantees they'll at least get stealth rock up if that's what you want them to do. Notably, though, most stuff that gets Stealth Rock doesn't have much long term offense potential, especially considering the explosion nerf. Golem probably looks like it has the most potential there. Wartortle will probably end up as the dominant spinner though, since it isn't weak to Stealth Rock and can kill has STAB super effective water attacks to bring down any hazards layers.
    NU is going to be an interesting tier though. It's a combination of pokemon with good typings but bad stats, Pokemon with hilariously bad typings but a couple of decent stats, and most of generation one (which I guess was both :\). I'd love if the ridiculous disparities between the defensive and offensive stats in most pokemon cause shit like shuckle to get some use, though i'm guessing that at the end of the day there will be few surprises and most of the top threats will be top threats from past generations without the power creep shit that walls or sweeps them in higher tiers, like Tauros.
  14. LeviLamprey

LeviLamprey

:O
    LUVDISC
    I AM SURPRISED.
    I'm going to use it for team support. :>
    I don't know, RU is only appealing because LILLIGANT.
    But looking over this, I can see a fair few mons wreaking havoc in NU.
    Linoone does well enough in RU...
    Regice will be fun, too.
    SO MANY CHOICES!
    And SHelgon, and...and...
    I think this is something better tested than hypothesised about.
    *off he goes*
  15. skitz0phrenic

skitz0phrenic

Volbeat will be able to pass +3's down here with ease.

Also Prankster Sableye and Murkrow are down here too for the time being.

Musharna is down here...whaaaat.

This tier has all the bulk that can't hang with Yanmega in RU.

Golem/Gigalith/Bastiodon to be the premiere SR users.

Scolipede/Cacturne/Garbodor/Glalie seem to be some of the best (decent) Spikes users.
  16. WhiteyMcFly

WhiteyMcFly

Relicanth and Carracosta are going to be a real force to be reckoned with in NU. Dual STABs from it are completely unresisted in the tier. With the former being the one that can carry Stealth Rock and a stronger STAB move, and the latter carrying Shell Smash, it's a real tossup between the two. They both will end up causing some huge damage.

I'm gonna go with Relicanth on this one simply for the SR and the power of its rock-type STAB.
  17. Fangren

Fangren

Ooh, I'm so happy that NU is finally getting started, and with so many cool pokemon too.

Quagsire says hello, especially with Curse and Recover alongside Water Absorb (or Unaware) and STAB EQ.

EDIT: Also, I don't think we can quite discount Cryogonal as a spinner. It may be SR weak, but it's immune to spikes/toxic spikes and has Recover.
  18. Antar

Antar
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

The hilarious thing about Quagsire is that its OU usage is higher than its UU and RU usage. Quagsire has 5x the OU usage of Yanmega.
  19. SuperPascal

SuperPascal

I think these pokémon will get the most usage:
    Mesprit and Regirock as stealth rock users as well as walls
    Cryogonal as a spinner
    Rotom-s as a paraflincher
    Sableye as an annoying wall
    Klinklang as a good set-up sweeper and one of the only steel type (probably one of the best poke in the tier)
    Serperior and jumpluff as speedy subseeders
    Emboar as a powerful wallbreaker or sweeper with flame charge
    Sawk as a cool fighting type with sturdy
    Swellow as a dangerous guts sweeper
    Zweilious as a eviolite powerhouse
    shelgon as a good eviolite wall
    and Eelektross as a cool electric type with no weakness :)

Did I miss any?
  20. DTC

DTC ˢᵉʳᶦᵒᵘˢ
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Yes you did.

Miltank, Tangela and Slowking will all wreck the tier. It's incredibly hard to break through them. (Especially Slowking)

Klinklang, Shelgon, Zweilous, Serperior and Jumpluff won't be that good. Klinklang is good if he manages to set up but he's walled by a lot, Shelgon will probably be okay, Zweilous is extremely slow but can wreck if he manages to get a hit in, and Serperior+Jumpluff are literally just trolls that don't have much use in the tier other then subseeding, and that's just an annoying strategy. Eel also has trouble against prepared teams, it'll probably be really good at the beginning though.

Also, Rotom-S would work better as a scarfer, para-flinching isn't very reliable. Mespirit would probably be used for sub cm sweeping, although there's also Dusion for that who will probably wreck in the tier too if you be careful of Sableye.
  21. sax king

sax king

This is such a stallish tier. Everything has fairly low speed as well as pretty poor attack (as compared to higher tiers), and not to mention the fact that each team will probably run at least three eviolite mons.
  22. Molk

Molk Crustle knocked off the opposing Rhydon's Assault Vest!
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Co-Leader

just one thing to say, rotom-s is nu and normal rotom is ru. that.......is..........hilarious.
  23. TROP

TROP *tips fedora*
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

CTRL+F'd for Snover,no results before this post.
    Rotom-F is going to be really fun to use.
  24. marilli

marilli
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Look out for Stallrein + Tspikes...

Also, the lack of Steel-types are really disturbing to say the least--I'm thinking stall will be viable thanks to Eviolite users + Quagsire, but the lack of good rapid spinner and steel types hurts Stall as well. I'm seeing Cryo as a crucial part of NU stall for its ability to wall and haze the 'broken' Gorebyss, as well as spin and recover. TBH, Cryogonal is really good. Look no further than WhiteQueen's UU team, and countless other RU teams that succeeded with Cryogonal as its spinner.

Hail's down here too, so expect that to be a dominant playstyle until Hail gets kicked out. I'm pretty sure hail is so dominating to the point that it wouldn't be too surprising to get it quickbanned. Thank god we finally got to stop the Swift Swimmers from falling all the way down to NU, but because of that, all Sun / Rain abusers are stuck in RU. That means that hail will have monopoly on all weather forms because nobody will bother running weather-changing moves.
  25. DTC

DTC ˢᵉʳᶦᵒᵘˢ

That's not hilarious. Rotom-S doesn't have as good speed as Rotom. Rotom also has a better typing and had a good niche in RU being able to block the 2 most common spinners in RU (Blastoise and Claydol) and be able to easily beat them. It's typing also helped it check a few other notable threats.

And @Amarillo, I don't think hail will be that bad. Rotom-F, however, makes hail teams quite a lot more powerful with it being able to check many dangerous threats to hail teams and being a good pokemon in hail in general.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)