Gen V Initial NU Metagame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Don't forget about Rock Blast with it's Sub-breaking power either. His movepool makes running both actually viable. CB Gigalith's Attack is nowhere near decent unless decent = 135! Offensive sets do get competition from Rampardos due to his higher speed and coverage. Gigalith has to capitalize on Rock Blast, Explosion, and bulk (and even better TR "speediness") to make himself worth it at the moment.

Yeah, but rampardos doesn't have the defence to take a hit. It get's hurt once and goodbye dos! You were useless. Gigalith seems like a better option in my opinion just because of these attacks and stats. He doesn't really need to outspeed because his defences can keep him refreshed in battle.

^Don't forget about Rock Blast with it's Sub-breaking power either. His movepool makes running both actually viable. CB Gigalith's Attack is nowhere near decent unless decent = 135! Offensive sets do get competition from Rampardos due to his higher speed and coverage. Gigalith has to capitalize on Rock Blast, Explosion, and bulk (and even better TR "speediness") to make himself worth it at the moment.
I have no idea how you say 135 Atk is no where near decent. CB Terrakion is one of the biggest threats in the OU meta right now and his Atk is 129. Anyway Gigalith isn't built for running offensive sets, It is a very good physical wall, better than the most the rock/ground physical walls such as Rhyperior and Golem as it doesn't have any x4 weaknesses. It also has sturdy which is a fantastic ability for a pokemon that wants to set up hazards.

I have no idea how you say 135 Atk is no where near decent. CB Terrakion is one of the biggest threats in the OU meta right now and his Atk is 129. Anyway Gigalith isn't built for running offensive sets, It is a very good physical wall, better than the most the rock/ground physical walls such as Rhyperior and Golem as it doesn't have any x4 weaknesses. It also has sturdy which is a fantastic ability for a pokemon that wants to set up hazards.
I think he means nowhere near decent the OTHER way. Like if he was a lot weaker, he'd be downgraded to decent.

I have no idea how you say 135 Atk is no where near decent. CB Terrakion is one of the biggest threats in the OU meta right now and his Atk is 129.
While you are correct that 135 Atk is fantastic, Terrakion and Gigalith are very different. Terrakion has STAB CC. That's enough right there to see how different they are, as it abuses CC way more than Stone Edge. Also, Terrakion has the base speed of Infernape while Gigalith has a whopping base 25 Speed, making it really hard to go offensive (to put in perspective, Choice Scarf Gigalith is outspeed by max Speed base 75's with a neutral nature)

I've been playing a few games of NU when ever I can find an opponent on PO, and I've got to say, it is a lot of fun.
The main sweeper I've been using is simipour which is quite fast for the tier and when it gets off a nasty plot it destroys teams.
I've been using a effective FWG core or meganium, slowking and rapidash, which all have recovery moves so tend to make it hard to the opponent to break through.
The only major issue I've had so far is finding a good spinner for the team as it's pretty slim pickings down there, making hazards a very effective part of the metagame.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Would Smeargle make for a viable Rapid Spinner in NU i wonder...
2 standard moves will be Rapid Spin of course and Spore.
Then it could use a recovery move,so that he can stay alive to spin
and one of the 2 screens to increase his defences.
For example if you go for ax hp and max defence and then you use reflect you have a poke with 314 HP and 370 Def for 5 turns.Good enough to spin the hazards away if you ask me.

I've been playing a few games of NU when ever I can find an opponent on PO, and I've got to say, it is a lot of fun.
The main sweeper I've been using is simipour which is quite fast for the tier and when it gets off a nasty plot it destroys teams.
I've been using a effective FWG core or meganium, slowking and rapidash, which all have recovery moves so tend to make it hard to the opponent to break through.
The only major issue I've had so far is finding a good spinner for the team as it's pretty slim pickings down there, making hazards a very effective part of the metagame.
Eviolite Wartortle is surprisingly good.

With already one water type in his team i wouldn't consider using another one or even swap it for Wartortle, even though I must say, it's really a great choice for NU. However, I decided to sum up the (in my opinion) best spinners available around there in conjunction with their def stats, maybe you find something, you can fit in your team:

Eviolite users:

Wartortle 59 / 80 / 80
- great bulk, pure water type, Rest or Aqua Ring + Protect to recover some health, Rain Dish can be used as well

Sandshrew 50 / 85 / 30
- ground type gives resistance to SR, but it's damn slow.. Super Fang and Toxic to break through stall?

Tentacool 40 / 35 / 100
- impressive SpD, Poison type to resist Fighting type moves and absorb Toxic Spikes on the switch

Shellder 30 / 100 / 25
- abusable physical def, no Ice type = no SR weakness, access to Shell Smash but lacks Rock Blast and non-STAB Icicle Spear

Staryu 30 / 55 / 55
- still decent bulk, fastest Eviolite using Rapid Spinner in NU (Base 85), access to a reliable recovery move and mind game options possible with 'Reflect Type'. Else access to dual screens.

Pineco 50 / 90 / 35
- pure Bug type, nice psyical def, resists fighting type moves but weak to SR. Can lay out any sort of hazards by its own is a huge plus, and can set up dual screens

Baltoy 40 / 55 / 70
- Levitate > immunity to Spikes, T-Spikes and resists SR, nice typing and useful resistances, but lacks offense at all. Dual Screener

Drillbur
60 / 40 / 45
- another Ground type, packs useful Base 85 Atk and 68 Spe, access to SD

Non-Eviolite users:

Smeargle 55 / 35 / 45
- all-in-one weapon. Access to literally everything, but Rapid Spin + Spore makes it pretty viable already

Torkoal 70 / 140 / 70
- only spinner with Will-O-Wisp and Lave plume to spread around burn status (apart from Smeargle and what can use Scald), can use Shell Smash, Iron Defense and Amnesia to set up. Access to Clear Smog avoids it becoming setup fodder. SR weak.

Spinda 60 / 60 / 60
- looks weird but works. Moves like Trick, Wish and Sucker Punch is what make this thing decent enough to at least give it a shot

Armaldo 75 / 100 / 80
- Rock/Bug dual type makes it weak to SR, but with access to moves like SD, Rock Blast and X-Scissor combined with very nice Base 125 Atk, you're running a quite safefly offensive set. Base 45 Speed is kinda hindering though..

Cryogonal 70 / 30 / 135
- impressive SpD and fastest Spinner in NU (Base 105). Pure Ice type makes it weak to SR, but STAB Ice Beam will hurt a lot. Can set up Dual Screen, has a reliable recovery mov, Haze and many other options. Levitate is just a nice bonus to all of it.

Cryogonal's easily the best since it can wall and defeat most of the spinblockers in the tier. It can even stall out any Lampet lacking specs/fire blast if it uses Toxic on the switch and invests in SpD, and it easily stalls out Frillish. It has a bit of 4mms though - Rapid Spin-Toxic-Ice Beam-Recover is necessessary to be a truly reliable Spinner, and it misses out on screens and Protect.

How about Staryu? Like Starmie, it's immune to Status. It also has Water STAB and T-Bolt for Frillish, and instant recovery. Maybe a set of Surf / Recover / Rapid Spin / T-Bolt?

Staryu isn't breaking through Frillish lol, even if it invests in SpA. And it's not immune to status at all, status is only cured if it switches out, so Frillish can easily stall out Staryu with Toxic.

Staryu is far too weak to be an NU Starmie.

Im just wondering how you people think Cinccino will do down here. I been testing it over on the PO server in their NU and Choice Band Cino is tearing shit up.
Also on a similar note Lairon and Wartortle make a very good eviolite pair.

Cryogonal's easily the best since it can wall and defeat most of the spinblockers in the tier. It can even stall out any Lampet lacking specs/fire blast if it uses Toxic on the switch and invests in SpD, and it easily stalls out Frillish. It has a bit of 4mms though - Rapid Spin-Toxic-Ice Beam-Recover is necessessary to be a truly reliable Spinner, and it misses out on screens and Protect.
Cyrogonal gets his ass handed to him be Stealth Rocks. His laughable defense means that you need to switch out whenever your opponent brings in a physical attacker, and the rest of his movepool is barren. Wartortle is easily the best spinner in the tier.

@I Am Doz: Personally I'd prefer Tauros if I needed a CB normal type. He has EQ to deal with Steel-types, along with more bulk and slightly higher power, since you basically need to use Skill Link on Cinccino for coverage as opposed to Technician. You could always use both in a pseudo "Double Dragon" strategy, but with normal attacks. In that case, I'd pair them with Dugtrio as well.

I didn't consider Dugtrio for what ever reason, but it will be tested on my NU team. Currently it consists of:
Cinccino, Wartortle, Lairon, Haunter, Carracosta and Altaria.
Would swapping Alt for Tauros and Carracosta for Dugtrio be a reasonable idea?

Cryogonal has access to recover, which is something that Wartortle wishes it had. Plus, it has solid special defense and a higher speed stat allowing it to function as a somewhat NU Starmie.

NU ladder is finally up!

Anyone got an EV spread / set for eviolite wartortle? I'm really bad with optimal EV spreads especially when it comes to eviolite guys.

For Wartortle I opted for Specially Bulky, so 252 HP, 252 SpecD, 4 Def/SpecA with sassy/careful nature. Or a mixed Wall will 252 HP and an EV spread with equal defences including nature.

Cryagonal whilst it does have very good Special Defence + recovery it isn't IMO too good a spinner. Wartortle functions better for a number of reasons:
1) With Eviolite it has comparable special defence, with much better Physical Bulk.
2)Scald to help spread Status
3)Better typing
4)Most important reason: It's a Turtle!

NU is cool but Im not even gonna touch that tier till gorybyss and huntail leave. I mean, its already too good in RU, wtf is it doing in uu....

Has anybody tried out Volbeat? I'm using it to decent effect in OU (I just won something along the lines of 6 matches in a row and still going, relying on Volbeat essentially every time, and I don't consider myself a good battler). How does it fare down here?

That hasn't seemed the case to me, I haven't encountered a single Smashpass team yet. It seems like an almost balanced Meta already, with lots of originality and creativity
Smashpass is probobly broken [Or Goyrebass in it's own right], but I'm willing to wager because most NU players came down here to escape things like weather, most of them probobly are not the type to abuse Smashpass/Shell Smash.

Altaria is also completely broken. I'm ripping teams apart with DD Altaria. Generally, the way things go is I get Altaria in on something without an Ice move, set up to +1 as they switch out, and generally react with something along the lines of OH SHIII- [Especially if I have screens up. DD Altaria behind screens = GG]. I then generally OHKO their check, or set up to +2 and then OHKO it, and then sweep everything.

And Rapidash [Although it's not broken]. More people should use that thing. Especially with Sableye spamming Will-O-Wisps everywhere [Probobly on so many teams right now as an Altaria check. Priority Will-O-Wisp will be cured when Altaria switches... but at least Altaria has to switch out]

I guess if I wanted to comletely break the game, I'd use White Herb Shell Smash Goyrebass, AND DD Altaria. Bass can sweep in it's own right. Oh look, a check! *Baton Passes to DD Altaria, who basically OHKO's the meta at +2, and outspeeds all of it too*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)