1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Gen V Semi-Sandstorm Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by pickles123, Jan 14, 2011.

1. pickles123

pickles123

Hi guys, this is my first RMT and I'm not exactly a pro or anything, so (harsh) criticism is appreciated.

[​IMG]
    Tyranitar@Focus Sash
    Sand Stream
    252 atk/252 speed/ 6 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    ~Fire Blast
    ~Stone Edge
    ~Stealth Rock
    ~Taunt
    This guy is my sandstorm set up. If they're using a set-up starter I usually taunt, if not, I just set up rocks then attack, and if I know I can OHKO I usually just go for the throat. Main weakness is to ground which is sometimes a problem with the number of Pokemon that can learn Earthquake.

[​IMG]
    Doryuuzu@Choice Band
    Sand Throw (Someone thought this might be banned? If it is I'll use Sand Strength)
    252 Atk/ 252 Speed / 6 Hp
    Naughty Nature
    ~Earthquake
    ~Rock Slide
    ~Shadow Claw
    ~X-Scissor
    I use this guy mostly as a physical sweeper, he hits hard and with buff from sand throw and full speed EVs he tends to outspeed most pokemon as well and can pull off OHKO's fairly consistently.

[​IMG]
    Gigaiasu@ Leftovers
    Sand Strength
    252 Atk/ 6 Def/ 252 Speed
    Adamant Nature
    ~Curse
    ~Earthquake
    ~Rock Polish
    ~Stone Edge
    This is probably the pokemon on my team that I'm the least sure of. He has a good amount of attack as well as defense so I think he's meant to be a physical sweeper, however I already have one on my team with a similar moveset and better overall stats, I mainly went for him as he gets buffed by the sand and I was planning on having this team be sandstorm based.

[​IMG]
    Reshiram@Choice Specs.
    Turbo Blaze
    6 Def/ 252 Spd/ 252 SpAtk
    Modest Nature
    ~Blue Flame
    ~Draco Meteor
    ~Focus Blast
    ~Phychic
    This guy plays the role of Special sweeper. He doesn't fit with the category of sandstorm, but I don't have any ice on my team at the moment and wanted an anti-dragon player as well as having a nice powerful fire move as well. He also has an amazing amount of special attack, so I might change to a choice scarf so he can outspeed better.

[​IMG]
    Nattorei@Leftovers
    Steel Thorns
    252 HP/ 252 Def / 6 SpDef
    Brave Nature
    ~Leech Seed
    ~Power Whip
    ~Gyro Ball
    ~Spikes
    This guy is my Physical wall, with seeds and his ability doing dmg to those he hit him physically, as long as he's not getting hit to hard, he can set up spikes, deal damage, and have relatively good survivability as well. very weak against fire unfortunately.

[​IMG]
    Maggyo@Leftovers
    Sand Veil
    252 HP/ 6 SpAtk / 252 SpDef
    ~Boiling Water
    ~Protect
    ~Substitute
    ~Thunderbolt
    This guy is a beast. Set up sub/protect rotation along with boiling water having a chance to burn and sand veil increasing aviodance by 20% in the sand, this guy is hard to bring down and can do quite a bit of damage while he's still up. Ground-Electric type works pretty well where weaknesses are concerned too!

Well that's my team, hope you guys can help me improve it, thanks!​
  2. ShadowSpeedRider89

ShadowSpeedRider89

Concern 1: Get Reshiram outta here. If I read things correctly, he was banned to the rather limited "Gen V Ubers" section of things. If you want to take this team to Ubers, that's one thing, but it doesn't look like you do outside of Reshiram. That's your call to make.

Concern 2: Maggyo shares weaknesses to Pokemon-types that the rest of the team also have. It's not good to have an entire team that can be swept by one or two types of moves, Sandstorm team or not. Some Rain teams I've seen also have this problem.

Concern 3: Your team has a HUGE Fighting-type weakness. As it stands, half of your team can be easily taken out by boosted Fighting-type moves, particularly Tyranitar.

Suggestions for Concern 1:
    1a. If you want a Fire-type that's immune to Sandstorm, try Heatran. On a Balloon, it's only weak to Fighting and Water-Type moves, and it can learn Dragon Pulse. With a Choice Scarf it can act as a good revenge killer, while carrying Dragon Pulse in its moveset. It can also absorb the Fire attacks aimed at Nattorei and Gencosect, who I mention later.
    1b. If you want a good Dragon-type for a Sandstorm team, Sand Veil Garchomp is something to try. Powerful STAB Dragon-type and Ground-type attacks, harder to hit, and viable as a Scarf Revenge Killer or a Swords Dance Sweeper. Flygon is also a viable option with Levitate, being able to switch in on opposing Earthquakes and strike people down with Draco Meteor, or scout with a surprise U-Turn.

Suggestions for Concern 2:
    2a. Gencosect can serve as a replacement Special Attacker to Maggyo thanks to its varied move pool (including Flamethrower, Bug Buzz, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt) and potential boost from Download. You can use it as a scout too if you give it a Choice Scarf and U-Turn.
    2b. Sand Veil Cacturne, while weak to Fire-type moves like Gencosect and Nattorei, can help smack those Water-types around that you seem to have trouble with, thanks to the likes of Seed Bomb and/or Needle Arm, while also having access to a powerful Sucker Punch. Give it a BrightPowder and it'll be really difficult to hit while in a Sandstorm.

Suggestions for Concern 3: This assumes you look into any of the ideas I presented.
    3a. Garchomp should be used over Gigaiasu. Ground-Type, Grass-Type, Water-type and Fighting-type weaknesses are exchanged for a powerful hitter right off the bat, an Ice-weakness and a Dragon-weakness.
    3b. Gencosect isn't weak to Fighting-type moves either, giving Tyranitar and Doryuuzu some cover should a Fighting-type come in.
    3c. Although there are probably better choices, you could use Goruugu, the Ground/Ghost-type introduced in Generation V. He's immune to Fighting Attacks and can strike back with powerful, never-missing moves of his own thanks to No Guard - Dynamicpunch and Stone Edge are two notable moves to mention.

Yes, I've listed a lot of options. I don't have time to come up with exact sets right now, because I'm off to a rehearsal pretty soon, but hopefully these suggestions have gotten you to think, and have helped you somewhat. Sorry for the wall of text that may have sounded harsh at points.
  3. pickles123

pickles123

Alright, Thanks a lot! I threw in Cacturne, Garchomp, and Genosekuto. I'll try it out and see if that helps any :)
  4. Doryuuzu FTW

Doryuuzu FTW

sandstorm team

you overlooked barujiiina(mandibuzz) with overcoat

barujiina@ leftovers
    overcoat
    toxic
    roost
    flatter(optional)
    brave bird

brave bird seems stupid considering her pathetic offensive stats but i find it useful after they are poisoned and confused. plus im havent put it in the damage calc but i OHKO'd a machamp with brave bird.
  5. Doryuuzu FTW

Doryuuzu FTW

btw genesect is an event dude that wont be out for a while

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)