1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen V SKY BATTLES: KACAW

Discussion in 'Other Metagames' started by Qwilphish, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Immortal

The Immortal Administrator of Showdown!
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor

b2j135 likes this.
  2. Qwilphish

Qwilphish Mind over Matter
    is a Pre-Contributor

Thank you for programming this tier guys, the OP will be updated with this! On the subject of Landorus-I, it is not banned for the reasons that I have used many times before and also because it is simply not broken. It's main STAB move is not usable and its main coverage move is resisted by most of the tier INCLUDING most Levitators.

I would like for this thread to be much more clean, comparable to other metagame threads because atm it is very cluttered with random questions and conflicting information with no real metagame discussion going on. To do so, I would like to reinforce that this is a very very rough metagame with questions that cannot be answered at the moment. I would also like to propose a question: We know that rain is very good, but how about Sun? What are some viable Pokemon/Strategies in sun, and are these advantages enough to warrant a team built around the weather?
    b2j135 likes this.
  3. Leafshield

Leafshield

I really like that question, Quilphish! I have used sun once or twice on Nollan's old serv and have some stuff to say about it.

The first thing that comes to mind when making a sun team in Skymons should probably be Jumpluff. Jumpluff's amazing support movepool and blistering speed allow it to effortlessly annoy the opposition with tools such as Sleep Powder, Encore, and Momento. And this is outside of the sun, mind you. In the sun, the majority of Choice Scarf Pokemon cannot catch it (idk Scarf Ninjask maybe?), and easily fall victim to it's Sub-Seeding shenanigans. It can run many viable sets in Skymons for the purpose of annoyance. These are my favorites of them:

Name: Utility
    Jumpluff @ Leftovers
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - U-turn
    - Encore
    - Sleep Powder
    - Momento

Name: SubSeed
    Jumpluff @ Leftovers
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Encore
    - Substitute
    - Sleep Powder
    - Leech Seed

Both of these sets work wonders when sun is employed, making this little cotton ball one hell of a burden to bulky offense teams and Heavy Offense teams alike.

Now of course, you're going to need some Pokemon to set up Sun. Thankfully, there are many, many Pokemon legal in Skymons with the ability to set up sun, the most prominent being Bronzong. While it may be odd to use Bronzong for sun, something that highlights its only weakness, Fire Type attacks are fairly uncommon in comparison to other attacking types in Skymons. Bronzong also has impeccable bulk, allowing it to set up screens, set up sun, set up Rocks. or attack whenever it wants. Here is the sets I like to use for Bronzong in sun:

Name: Sunny Day
    Bronznog @ Heat Rock
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Relaxed Nature
    - Sunny Day
    - Stealth Rock
    - Toxic
    - Gyro Ball

Name: SunnyScreens
    Bronzong @ Heat Rock / Light Clay (I like to use Light Clay if I'm using Explosion, but Heat Rock's cool too.)
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Sunny Day
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Explosion / Gyro Ball

Of course, there are many other viable setters of sun in Skymons, such as Aerodactyl, Charizard (though I prefer to use the Scarf variant in tandem with Sun support), Crobat, Cressalia, Drifblim (sounds weird, but trust me, it's actually pretty cool imo.), Gengar, Xatu, the Rotom Formes, Weezing, and Volcarona. That's just to name a few! But the most effective at what they do are the Pranksters; Volbeat, Illumise, and Murkrow. While it may be undesirable to use these presumably mediocre Pokemon on your team, they all have the ability to set up sun before any other Pokemon can, which is quite a cool thing to have on a dedicated weather team. All of the Lake Trio can also set up Sunny Day, iirc, so they are all also viable options.

Now, we have all these Sun setters, but what about the sun abusers? Well, there aren't as many sun abusers as setters, but all of them radiate raw power and easily dent the opposition thanks to their boosted STABs. Some of my favorites include Moltres, Charizard, and Volcarona, all of which have the ability to set up Sun on their own and wreck face, or apply a Choice item and demolish everything in sight with proper support. Other options for abusers include Azelf, the Lati Twins, and Rotom-H, who also pack plenty of raw power and a good enough move pool to see use. Here are sets for some of these Pokemon under the sun:

Name: Choice Scarf
    Moltres @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - U-Turn
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Air Slash

Name: Life Orb
    Latios @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Surf (For when sun is not active) / Recover

Name: Offensive Calm Mind
    Latias @ Leftovers / Life Orb
    EVs: Really, they're interchangable. I'm just going with max/max to show off the sets :x . I would run maybe 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Roost

Name: Specs Overkill
    Charizard @ Choice Specs (interchangable with Scarf.)
    Trait: Solar Power
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Focus Blast
    - SolarBeam
    - Air Slash

Name: Quiver Dance
    Volcarona @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flame Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe (not the best spread, but w/e)
    Modest Nature
    - Quiver Dance
    - Fire Blast
    - Giga Drain
    - Bug Buzz
    I'm retarded. For some reason I thought that Volc was legal, but clearly it isn't :x

So, all in all, I think sun is a very cool offensive playstyle in Skymons. It's also very challenging, as many of the sweepers are frail, but I find it to be really, really fun, nontheless.
    b2j135 likes this.
  4. b2j135

b2j135

wow those are some NICE sets, too bad Volc is banned because it is neither a flying type OR a Levitate possessing Pokemon
  5. Leafshield

Leafshield

Oh shit, that is an oversight lol. I totally forgot that was illegal :x
    b2j135 likes this.
  6. b2j135

b2j135

I got another battle for you guys and just so you know, this was BEFORE I even knew there was this thread.
    So I was going off of my own rules that I had posted a long time ago :p
    It's still a VERY enjoyable video though ;)
  7. b2j135

b2j135

New Battle with the current rules ;)
  8. Snaquaza

Snaquaza

Ehm aren't Volbeat and Illumise banned then too?

No Flying type
    No Levitate
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  9. b2j135

b2j135

yes
    it it doesn't have the ability levitate, or is a flying type, it is banned
  10. Leafshield

Leafshield

Shit, im fucking up. For some reason I thought volbeat was bug/flying. I should pay more attention to what I type :x
  11. Mulan15262

Mulan15262

You're forgetting Delibird, which has rapid spin.
  12. SpartanMalice

SpartanMalice

Lol Delibird.

No one's gonna use that anyway. Cause it's Delibird, then there's the fact that it not is double SR weak but also cant live a single hit.
  13. Snaquaza

Snaquaza

you are also forgetting Cryogonal and technically Baltoy
    b2j135 likes this.
  14. b2j135

b2j135

SO! Now that the games are out and we know how everything works, who wants to host a tournament?
    Sucks that Gengar was banned though :/ oh well
    We also won't know if Stealth Rocks work or not BUT I can tell you that Roost does indeed work and that Stone Edge also works.
    I guess the stones fly up from the ground lol, maybe Stealth Rocks will work come December 27th :p
  15. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Flapper the Zubat = best scramblemon
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

There will be a new Sky Battle thread for the XY metagame. For now, continue to discuss the BW Sky Battle metagame (lol).
  16. bobbyvaporeon

bobbyvaporeon

Yeah, Gengar can't even compete in Sky battles. I've tried ingame.
  17. AWailOfATail

AWailOfATail

Can Delibird? We might have a new MVP (Rapid Spin ftw)!
  18. JustAMan

JustAMan

what is a spinner? Lati@s can Defog rocks out with new Defog buff
    DatTwo2 and b2j135 like this.
  19. DatTwo2

DatTwo2

I really wonder about Gliscor's standard moveset would be in Sky Battles, since EQ is completely ineffective. Protect, U-Turn, Stealth Rock, and Stone Edge/Ice Fang, perhaps?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)