Gen V STABmons

Status
Not open for further replies.
@The_Eevee_General: Why the decision to unban OHKO moves? I'm not inherently against that decision or anything, but why specifically OHKO clause removed and nothing else?

EV

Banned deucer.
@The_Eevee_General: Why the decision to unban OHKO moves? I'm not inherently against that decision or anything, but why specifically OHKO clause removed and nothing else?
When I came up with this idea and saw that a OHKO move fit the requirement of STAB and was on a No Guard Pokemon (Golurk, hence the attention paid), I decided to let it stay for a few reasons:

1. Sturdy

2. All OHKO moves have types they don't affect (besides Sheer Cold, and only Articuno+Mind Reader or Weavile/Kyurem+Hone Claws look viable with that)

3. This meta looks very offensive and OHKO might be necessary to keep huge threats in check e.g. running Focus Sash+Rock Polish+Fissure Golurk or Choice Scarf

We'll see how it plays out. If needed, OHKO can go the way of the ban. I figured Glitchmons can handle it, albeit it's a bit different over there.

Qwilphish

when everything you touch turns to gold
How do Eeveelutions work for this metagame? For example, since eevee can have shell smash do the evolutions get access to it as well? Would this also apply to other evolutions such as this?

EV

Banned deucer.
Let's just say only the Pokemon's current STAB factors into the moves it learns for this metagame.

So Jolteon/Flareon/etc can't run Shell Smash since Eevee is normal.
Same for Azurill and co.

I will add this to main topic.

Azumarill now has access to both Belly Drum and Aqua Jet as a combination! Also, Stoutland seems to be horribly scary in the sand. After a Swords Dance, it can sweep unprepared teams!

Another huge threat is mono-attacker Yanmega with tinted lens. In rain using a set of Sub, Roost, Quiver Dance, and Hurricane you can wreck shit.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
An excellent new OM! n_n

Weavile/Kyurem+Hone Claws
OHKO moves are not affected by accuracy boosts.

Even without access to Sketch, Ursaring looks pretty scary with Fake Out + ExtremeSpeed. And let's not forget our lovely users of Technician and Skill Link; Breloom now has Arm Thrust and Storm Throw (!!) to complement its arsenal of "weak" moves, and Spike Cannon works as a more reliable version of Tail Slap on Cinccino.

Escavalier is also looking pretty good. Besides getting Gear Grind and Meteor Mash for some better Steel-type STAB, it finally gets reliable healing in the form of Heal Order. In fact, Bullet Punch is another excellent option on Escavalier... I predict a lot of 4MSS :|

Just a question though, if evolutions are not included in determining new movepools, what about forme changes (ie, is Rotom-Wash getting Spore)?

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What about Kangaskhan? It has Scrappy and access to Lovely Kiss / Belly Drum / Extremespeed / Drain Punch. Yeah it can Scrappy Rapid Spin too, but this one can sweep and Whimsicott can't outprioritize with Prankster Spore or Encore either.

But yeah, this looks interesting. Normals get a bunch of good shit like ESpeed, Recover, Wish, Lovely Kiss, Shell Smash, and Baton Pass. Imagine if there was a Normal-type Prankster!

Wow, cool OM!

Adding some thoughts:

Slaking & Regigigas get Entrainment.

All Normal-Types get a combination of Lovely Kiss + Mean Look + Shell Smash/Belly Drum + ExtremeSpeed. Talk about scary.

Head Charge outclasses Double-Edge as primary physical STAB (Mega Kick has no recoil, but only 75% accuracy).

Tail Glow Speed Boost Yanmega will be scary as well. Yanmega can use it's ability to go for a faster SpA boost in Tail Glow rather than to use Quiver Dance.

Forretress can now use Heal Order for reliable healing, giving it something to counter the big distribution of Rapid Spin now, altho all Normal-types do get Recover.

Kyurem-B's Ice Shard will be a priority move to take into account, not to mention it's access to icicle crash. It also has access to Dragon Dance now D=.

Bulky Psychics (Latias, Jirachi, Claydol, Uxie, Slowbro/king,...) can now utilise the Stored Power + Cosmic Power set which makes Sigilyph so annoying.

RestTalk CM Suicune with Water Spout.

Gyarados gets access to Aqua Jet & to Brave Bird/Acrobatics (lol) on the offensive side and access to Roost for defensive play.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does Delcatty get every move in the game because of its ability, normalise?

Also Flareon gets flare blitz!! I can really hit hard with guts and 130 attack but after rocks and one flare blitz it's basically dead.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
people arent scared enough of hurricane landorus-i, with 1 layer of spikes and stealth rock, you 2hko every mon in the game with hurricane/focus blast/earth power, so modest rock polish landorus-i will be an amazingly strong sweeper

also, GYRO BALL ESCAVALIER YESSSS

still no way to get through steals, but gyro ball and uturn really help escavalier :)

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not to mention Landorus(-T) gets Roost. Reliable recovery, suck it.

Also, no one mentioned it yet but the pink blobs Chansey and Blissey get a combo of Lovely Kiss, Shell Smash, Baton Pass, Wish and good bulk. Baton Pass ALL the things

Stockpile+baton pass chansey lol offense. Cosmic Power+Moonlight Cresselia lollll
Lead Weavile is ridiculous. Dark Void+Memento on any dark type really....
Coil Gunk Shot Weezing o_O
Choice Band V-Create/Sacred Fire Ninetales. Spore Abamasnow.
Ooo here is one lol, Sky Drop Poison Heal Gliscor?
Oh oh oh, ingrain+cotton guard+baton pass sDef Celebi. Boo ya!

I like this concept because it seems to make sense that grass types would get all of the grass type attacks.

This isn't as huge, but Breloom gets Technician boosted Storm Throw. And, Rotom-F finally gets Ice Beam, instead of the unreliable Blizzard. Also, Ninjask can now pass Tail Glows and speed boosts.

I like U-turn / Hal Order / Gyro Ball / [Megahorn / Pursuit] Escavalier, it's an interesing check to Kyurem-B that doesn't require you to lose one mon everytime it switches

OK, I think people aren't scared enough of Sawsbuck. Or, as I now christen it, Uberloom. Spore, Belly Drum, Extreme Speed, some other move, Chlorophyll for the lols, it has everything. You're gonna need priority from something that can take an Extreme Speed to deal with this.

EV

Banned deucer.
Just a question though, if evolutions are not included in determining new movepools, what about forme changes (ie, is Rotom-Wash getting Spore)?
Good question. I'll treat formes like evolutionary stages. Only the current forme takes the STAB moves into consideration. So the Rotoms only get all Water/Electric (for Wash) or Grass/Electric (Mow) etc and they don't get access to all the Ghost moves via original Rotom.

I'll add to first post.

ElectivireRocks

Banned deucer.
Oh wow, I want this to be the next metagame of the month so badly.
Ice Shard+Dragon Dance Kyurem-B?
Water Spout Politoed?
Sacred Fire Ninetales?
Horn Leech Ferrothorn?
Shift Gear+Gear Grind Technician Scizor?

So many interesting possibilities...

Terrakion only has a chance to live if it invested in bulk. Defensive Steels seem to be the only thing that can take a hit from it, though they are still 2HKOd.
Faster E-Speeders or scarf ditto/sawsbuck? Sap sipper Miltank outspeeds and gets an attack boost from spore. Ghosts are immune to e speed. Lots of ways to deal with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)