Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Topic- how will you guys customize?
Do you pick the same or the opposite gender usually?
What clothes do you want there to be?
You'd wear that Rowlet suit wouldn't you

So, on the topic of new typings and mega evolutions, there's an idea I want to put out there for a category of typing we've never seen and probably will never happen, but no one ever talks about so I thought I'd bring it up.

The Eeveelutions are, of course, some of the most popular pokemon. They probably will get Megas at somepoin, and the question is what they'll look like after that. Will they keep their typings? Add a normal type? I think mega-eeveelutions would be a perfect way to introduce a new kind of typing: dual-type monotype.
Basically, Mega-flareon for example would become Fire/Fire type. All weaknesses are 4x, yes, but all resistances are too, and the STAB bonus on Fire-type moves would be insane. While maybe not the most competitively viable idea, I think this is an interesting concept that could be used past the mega-eeveelutions (if or when we get those) and would add a new dynamic to some pokemon. Add in some abilities that reduce damage done by moves you are quad-weak to, and it could make things very interesting.

I doubt they'll use that hear, but it could be really cool if they did, and it would be a way to have "monotype" pokemon that don't feel like "oh great, another pure water" but that add something new to the formula.

So, on the topic of new typings and mega evolutions, there's an idea I want to put out there for a category of typing we've never seen and probably will never happen, but no one ever talks about so I thought I'd bring it up.

The Eeveelutions are, of course, some of the most popular pokemon. They probably will get Megas at somepoin, and the question is what they'll look like after that. Will they keep their typings? Add a normal type? I think mega-eeveelutions would be a perfect way to introduce a new kind of typing: dual-type monotype.
Basically, Mega-flareon for example would become Fire/Fire type. All weaknesses are 4x, yes, but all resistances are too, and the STAB bonus on Fire-type moves would be insane. While maybe not the most competitively viable idea, I think this is an interesting concept that could be used past the mega-eeveelutions (if or when we get those) and would add a new dynamic to some pokemon. Add in some abilities that reduce damage done by moves you are quad-weak to, and it could make things very interesting.

I doubt they'll use that hear, but it could be really cool if they did, and it would be a way to have "monotype" pokemon that don't feel like "oh great, another pure water" but that add something new to the formula.
The problem with that is that it's literally impossible to get a dual typing of the same type - Fire/Fire would become pure Fire, for example.

On the topic about customization, I will likely not even bother about it.

If I'm not mistaken, some monotype Pokémon are actually dual-types with two identical typings. For example, Mega Aggron is actually Steel/Steel, which automatically translates into just Steel.

They could still change how this mechanic works, though.

The problem with that is that it's literally impossible to get a dual typing of the same type - Fire/Fire would become pure Fire, for example.

On the topic about customization, I will likely not even bother about it.
How is it impossible to have dual typing of the same type? Using Fire as an example:

• Mono Fire
  • 2x weak to Water, Rock, Ground
  • 2x resist to Grass, Bug, Fire
  • 1.5x Bonus on fire-type moves
  • Fire/Fire
  • 4x weak to Water, Rock, Ground
  • 4x resist to Grass, Bug, Fire
  • 2x or 2.25x Bonus on fire-type moves (depending on how the mechanic works, if it multiplies by 1.5 twice or just doubles instead)
Now, most of these guys would then be glass cannons due to the many quad weaknesses, but the super STAB would make them extremely deadly with moves.

If I'm not mistaken, some monotype Pokémon are actually dual-types with two identical typings. For example, Mega Aggron is actually Steel/Steel, which automatically translates into just Steel.

They could still change how this mechanic works, though.
Yeah, if that's what Siggu was saying and I misunderstood the "that is that it's literally impossible to get a dual typing of the same type" comment, it's a mechanic that doesn't seem to hard to fix.

How is it impossible to have dual typing of the same type? Using Fire as an example:

• Mono Fire
  • 2x weak to Water
  • 2x resist to Grass
  • Normal STAB on fire-type moves
  • Fire/Fire
  • 4x weak to water
  • 4x resist to grass
  • Double the STAB on fire-type moves
Now, most of these guys would then be glass cannons due to the many quad weaknesses, but the super STAB would make them extremely deadly with moves.

Yeah, if that's what Siggu was saying and I misunderstood the "that is that it's literally impossible to get a dual typing of the same type" comment, it's a mechanic that doesn't seem to hard to fix.
I understand what you're saying, but what would determine which Pokemon get the duel monotype over just the regular? Or would it be all?

I understand what you're saying, but what would determine which Pokemon get the duel monotype over just the regular? Or would it be all?
The intro to this would probably be Mega-eeveelutions, which would have dual of whatever their type is.

Aside from that, they could have Pokemon that are extremely water based or fire based, where it would be water/water or fire/fire. It would just be another potential type combo for pokemon to have, similar to if they introduced an electric/poison or fire/ice. It would just be "oh, hey, Aqualis is a water/water type" but there'd still be regular monotypes.

The intro to this would probably be Mega-eeveelutions, which would have dual of whatever their type is.

Aside from that, they could have Pokemon that are extremely water based or fire based, where it would be water/water or fire/fire. It would just be another potential type combo for pokemon to have, similar to if they introduced an electric/poison or fire/ice. It would just be "oh, hey, Aqualis is a water/water type" but there'd still be regular monotypes.
I see some good things about this and some flaws with this, however, for better or for worse I don't see this ever happening.

You know what I expect for an Eevee mega evolution? Just that, Eevee getting a mega. This could create a reason to keep it unevolved, and create that mythical normal type evolution everyone thought Sylveon would be before Fairy was announced. There's a lot of possibilites of giving plain old Eevee a mega, here's some...

My favorite design overall. It captures all of Eevee's current evolutions, although it does lean towards Espeon, and looks awesome.

Closer to the original design, but fluffier. I like it.

Okay this one is horrible but I need to share how horrible it is. 10/10 would add stripes again.

Rawwrrr, hydra!

Reactions: JES
I must be the only person that loves when large amounts of pokemon are introduced at once, so I loved Gen V's roster. But I do agree that a lot of pokemon are being left in the dust as new ones creep up in every new generation. I think they have some options of fixing this, though.

1. Introduce new and better moves and give them to older pokemon. Add older moves to older pokemon as well.
2. New abilities. Replace some old ones or add a new ability slot (though I doubt they'd do this). Add some functionality to seemingly useless abilities. Like give Run Away the ability to escape trapping moves or something.
3. More evolutions and pre-evolutions. Technically this would count as "new pokemon" but they'd be tied to the old ones. Branch and stone evolutions can always be a thing. Male Lopunny? Male Kangaskhan? Miltank and Tauros pre-evo? Farfetch'd evolution? The possibilities are plenty here.
4. Change the BSTs. They've already shown us they can do this with a handful of pokemon getting hidden BST upgrades in Gen VI. With new pokemon growing more powerful each gen, the veterans are getting left behind and unused.
EDIT: 5. If they wanted to get really bold, they could change some older pokemon's designs slightly. We've seen art differences for some pokemon over the years, like how Pikachu has slimmed down to look cuter and more agile. But nothing seriously dramatic. Gender differences exist now, but for older pokemon, they aren't exactly life-changing, and some you even have to squint to see.
EDIT 2: 6. Change some pokemon's typings. A type combination in addition to a good moveset, ability, BST, etc. can make or break a pokemon. Do we need so many Normal/Flying types? Some have already been retyped to Fairy so it isn't like they can't suddenly decide to retcon some other ones.

Obviously I'm not opposed to having more than 100 new mons added, but the designs and abilities of each one can heavily determine whether they're worth it or not. Despite Gen III having a ton of new mons added, overall I wasn't feeling the designs as a whole. Some were cool, yes, but it wasn't enough for me.
lopunny can be male

I JUST REMEMBERED D: It was kind of a slow-burning thing, but I have another reason to add to my "I am sad Z isn't happening" list.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Kalos_Route_7

If you visit Route 7 in Kalos after dusk, the river will be illuminated. Almost like they forgot to turn on the night-time shaders for that specific asset in that specific location. I really wanted to know if GF would fix this in a second version, but alas ;_;
Bring on SM, I suppose... *grumble* *literally unplayable*

For the love of God, no more pre evolutions nor baby mons, we don't need that shit anymore, they are a waste of dex space and can make breeding hell.

Also there shouldn't be an eevee mega Evo, I'm in for an eevee evolution, but not a mega Evo of a non evolved mon with branched evolution... That kinda breaks the whole deal of final stage.

I just hope they don't fuck with that on the next gen.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Tone down the wishlisting slightly, please. "I'd like an evolution of _____" is literally the epitome of what NOT to post in here. I was about to say we used it as an example in the OI rules thread, but it seems that was for abilities instead. Anyway, wishlisting should be exercised with great caution.

Picture it using its nose to balance and throw it's supposed bubbles, aura spheres and focus blasts , or even unleashing hyper voices from it.

Ugly cute can work, all I see on Popplio speculation is for him to be water psychic or water ice with a big emphasis on being a clown with prankster and encore.

I prefer an elephant seal with focus on it fighting for being the beach master through sphere attacks than the second coming of Kefka psychic seal edition.

Just like litten being dark or poison, I went rock for the obsidian/brimstone coloring. Seriously no one knows of the obsidian jaguar in myths? It's badass as hell if you consider obsidian weapons from the Azteca beheaded horses along gutting their riders in one swipe or broke trough heavy armor. I prefer a rock fire feline over the ultimate fairy counter the Internet is hyping it to be.
Yeah, just be sure to keep your Obsidian Jaguar far away from Water or Ground types, even if it has Filter as the hidden ability!

Yeah, just be sure to keep your Obsidian Jaguar far away from Water or Ground types, even if it has Filter as the hidden ability!
Doesn't matter, gas great offensive typing an nearly every mammal learns GK for wathever weird reason.

reposting here b/c I'm actually dead serious, an owlbear evo chain would be dope
Unfortunately, Pikachu has a point. If you don't yet your owlbear, you'll riot. But if they DO an owlbear D&D might riot, unless they can somehow avoid doing any merchandise (good luck on them ignoring the demand if it takes off!!)!

Not a good position for Game Freak to be in!

It'd be funny but I doubt it'll ever actually happen. Most starters tend not to throw a curveball like that, barring a few exceptions like Samurott.

Anyone else think the dog will be the regional rodent replacement? It looks like it'd be normal type.
Or a regional wolf. Now THAT would be mixing things up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)