Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
its a salamander, as in the dragon

Monitor lizards are invasive species in hawai'i, and it turns out they were part of the reason mongooses(mongeese? mongi?) were released in it in the first place, so that is a possible evo for salandit, as we also know yungoos is getting a one stage evo.

If we are in for another terrible poison-dragon type with a type change from a decent typing, i swear...
Dragalge is usage in OU C+ ranking is hardly terrible. Not outstanding or anything but usable.

Unfortunately no. It was rather annoying.

Also, first Sun/Moon plushes revealed:-

If you don't think these are adorable we can't be friends
I'm just going to save money and wait for the life size plush instead. I have Fennekin and Chespin, but not Froakie because he's not cute enough for me to spend 4k ¥. I want to complete it with Popplio instead! Sea puppy is cutest!

Comatose: You don't have to worry about Burns, Freeze, Paralysis or Poison anymore. Wonder if Corrosion will be able to break it?
According to Serebii, Corrosion:
'Allows the Pokémon to inflict the Poison status on Steel or Poison-type Pokémon'

I imagine Corrosion can poison Pokemon that are protected by their type, not their ability. So, Pokemon with Abilities such as Comatose or Immunity would still be protected from the posion.

Unfortunately no. It was rather annoying.

Also, first Sun/Moon plushes revealed:-

If you don't think these are adorable we can't be friends
Eh, it makes me ambivalent toward Rowlett (who I love), love Popillio (who I was ambivalent towards), and dislike Litten (who was the least liked out of the three).

According to Serebii, Corrosion:
'Allows the Pokémon to inflict the Poison status on Steel or Poison-type Pokémon'

I imagine Corrosion can poison Pokemon that are protected by their type, not their ability. So, Pokemon with Abilities such as Comatose or Immunity would still be protected from the posion.
Yeah that sounds about right.

Tapu Koko is listed in Serebii as a "Guardian Deity" Pokémon, so I'm personally hoping it's part of a trio akin to the legendary birds. Auto Terrain is a really cool idea, I hope we get an auto Misty and Grassy Terrain ability as well. I'd also like to see more terrain moves as well.

As a counter-argument to the "Tapu Koko is a Legendary" idea, Volcarona is/was worshipped as a solar deity, and I think Arcanine was in a similar situation? Can't remember. I'm still pretty sure Tapu Koko is some sort of actual Legendary though, just felt like bringing that up.

Send it to Croll and I and we will have a look over it first... We are obviously being very cautious.
Do we have to wait? I mean, this is the same source that got Salandit's typing right. And I'm eager to see if they can catch lighting twice!

I want more!

Maybe it's simply a legendary that isn't elusive like the rest of them (or as elusive). A Pokemon that has great power, longevity, and lots of legends to its name is still a legendary if you're like "oh hey, Tapu Koko is coming over for dinner. Do we have any of those crackers he likes?", and I get that vibe from it, especially with the early release. Weirdly or not, it'd be the first time GF have done this concretely! The closest other legends get to being aimed at the average Joe is occasional NPC sightings, à la RSE.

#presidentforthepeople #legendfortheelectorate #votefortapukoko #koko2012

As a personal aside, if we're gonna start getting real leaks sooner rather than later, (unlike the drampa/bruxish thing which was a just an obviously slightly early version of something that we were gonna get anyway) I'd really appreciate a push on that "separate thread" thing for the spoilers :o

Megas were the biggest thing in terms of popularity on Twitter (where Pokemon staff collect info on popularity)
And a solid boost on merchandise.
No one in Japan plays Smogon.

Why would they cancel megas? It doesn't make sense.

Just nerf M Kanga and M Sala , or continue to make Pokemon that are stronger than them.
Talking about that, is there a Japanese Smogon equivalent?

And hopefully GF nerfs Parental Bond, from 1.5 form 1.1 or 1.2 (?)
Is still getting double PuP bonus and breaking sashes, but the power is not going to be as insane

The new abilities they're introducing this generation are really good.

Comatose: You don't have to worry about Burns, Freeze, Paralysis or Poison anymore. Wonder if Corrosion will be able to break it?
I doubt it, Corrosion ignores typing, so probably, abilities like Inmunity and Comatose are still going to be inmune

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Do we have to wait? I mean, this is the same source that got Salandit's typing right. And I'm eager to see if they can catch lighting twice!

I want more!
Considering we haven't had contact from Cresselia~~ yet and we do not want unsubstantiated claims in the thread; yes you have to wait. I presume the wait is because it is being translated.

Even if we did decide it was post worthy, we would put huge red text around it saying its a leak and not confirmed in any way shape or form and for you to not discuss it too deeply. We would be able to discuss it freely on the IRC channel.

In other news; I'm not exactly sold on the new Mon. Its an interesting design and nice to have a salamander which is true to it's legends in that it is a fire typed creature. Its ability seems reasonable at the end of the day... I don't have any issues with it and Toxic/poison is still the "worst" status really.

Considering we haven't had contact from Cresselia~~ yet and we do not want unsubstantiated claims in the thread; yes you have to wait. I presume the wait is because it is being translated.

Even if we did decide it was post worthy, we would put huge red text around it saying its a leak and not confirmed in any way shape or form and for you to not discuss it too deeply. We would be able to discuss it freely on the IRC channel.

In other news; I'm not exactly sold on the new Mon. Its an interesting design and nice to have a salamander which is true to it's legends in that it is a fire typed creature. Its ability seems reasonable at the end of the day... I don't have any issues with it and Toxic/poison is still the "worst" status really.
The biggest problem for me is that, aside from Heatran, all the other Pokemon you'd want to Toxic with it would already run in fear of it (e.g. Ferrothorn and Venusaur). The sole good thing is that, assuming Komala/Komala's evolutions don't become good enough to compete on the team and no one else has any statuses on them, if you use Toxic, you WILL at least Toxic something. But that might not mean much considering many sweepers don't care about being poisoned and Resttalkers can just Rest.

On the other hand, maybe we can get a Pokemon that can burn fire types or paralyze electric types in future gens with this news. That'll be exciting.

The biggest problem for me is that, aside from Heatran, all the other Pokemon you'd want to Toxic with it would already run in fear of it (e.g. Ferrothorn and Venusaur).
Mega Venusaur has Thick Fat, using Toxic is probably the best action you can do with Salandit but Mega-Venu can run Earthquake to shut him down.
The Toxic part is really good against Heatran and Poison types, not so much on Steel type...problem is...the number of OU viable Poison type is really low, and in VGC I'm pretty sure there are none. (Crobat maybe ???)

Mega Venusaur has Thick Fat, using Toxic is probably the best action you can do with Salandit but Mega-Venu can run Earthquake to shut him down.
The Toxic part is really good against Heatran and Poison types, not so much on Steel type...problem is...the number of OU viable Poison type is really low, and in VGC I'm pretty sure there are none. (Crobat maybe ???)
I'd say Mega Venusaur would not want to switch in anyways because it already suffers a lot from passive damage... it would certainly rather stay away from poison.

The ability is not the most useful on Salandit, at least in theory right now, but sets like Substitute + Toxic or Venoshock + Toxic sound like they could be pretty fun and annoying for the opponent to play around. Even if Steel-types are immune to Venoshock, they won't be immune to the Toxic or the Fire STAB, meaning at worst you can at least be an irritant to the opposing team. And the most common Magic Guard user in Clefable is not going to like the Poison STAB you have so a Toxic "absorber" might not be a very common thing. Getting a Toxic on Heatran will be incredibly useful too as that thing is a pain for lots of Pokemon.

The ability is in some ways being both overhyped by some fans (see all the Youtube people screaming about it) and underhyped by others imo. I think it's gonna be a fun Pokemon to play around with though and its stats/evolution will probably make or break it on some level. It has a really nice set of resistances too, even if hindered by some crippling weaknesses to Ground, Water and Rock (not so much Psychic I guess).

Also I wonder if Salandit uses Toxic on a Mega Sableye whether the Sableye will bounce back a regular Toxic (and fail to poison Salandit) or a Corrosion Toxic (and poison itself). Guess the researchers will be straight to work on this sort of thing come November.

Oh and some idiot over on NeoGAF is hyping people up about Cresselia's potential leaks and making some of them think the entire PokeDex might leak... So no pressure or anything Cresselia :P

(Sorry to the dude I was referring to who has read this, I meant "idiot" in the most polite way that is possible. Maybe "silly person" would be a better way to put it.)

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
The ability is not the most useful on Salandit, at least in theory right now, but sets like Substitute + Toxic or Venoshock + Toxic sound like they could be pretty fun and annoying for the opponent to play around. Even if Steel-types are immune to Venoshock, they won't be immune to the Toxic or the Fire STAB, meaning at worst you can at least be an irritant to the opposing team. And the most common Magic Guard user in Clefable is not going to like the Poison STAB you have so a Toxic "absorber" might not be a very common thing. Getting a Toxic on Heatran will be incredibly useful too as that thing is a pain for lots of Pokemon.

The ability is in some ways being both overhyped by some fans (see all the Youtube people screaming about it) and underhyped by others imo. I think it's gonna be a fun Pokemon to play around with though and its stats/evolution will probably make or break it on some level. It has a really nice set of resistances too, even if hindered by some crippling weaknesses to Ground, Water and Rock (not so much Psychic I guess).

Also I wonder if Salandit uses Toxic on a Mega Sableye whether the Sableye will bounce back a regular Toxic (and fail to poison Salandit) or a Corrosion Toxic (and poison itself). Guess the researchers will be straight to work on this sort of thing come November.

Oh and some idiot over on NeoGAF is hyping people up about Cresselia's potential leaks and making some of them think the entire PokeDex might leak... So no pressure or anything Cresselia :P
It isn't a Pokedex leak. No names were named, some Pokemon are mentioned, but they were all being "described" instead of named.
e.g. Rockruff was referred to "the rock dog".

It isn't a Pokedex leak. No names were named, some Pokemon are mentioned, but they were all being "described" instead of named.
e.g. Rockruff was referred to "the rock dog".
I want this so bad. :mad:

Edit : Weird that PokemonJP on Youtube doesn't have a video up for Salandit, maybe we can expect more news coming with the video. (I hope)

Salandit is up on the Japanese site, so probably just aren't getting a trailer version of it. Although are we due any news soon? We just had those other Pokemon last week so I guess not?

The biggest problem for me is that, aside from Heatran, all the other Pokemon you'd want to Toxic with it would already run in fear of it (e.g. Ferrothorn and Venusaur).
Really depends on the tier it lands in. Tentacruel in UU would be an example of a pokemon that would be really pissed off by Salandit getting passive damage (either through a 30% sludge bomb chance or toxic) and taking away what would have otherwise been a free switch-in.

Reactions: JES
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)