Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Actually on the Pokemon website it says you need Giga Impact, so I'm not spreading misinformation
My bad. I undeleted the post. Must have been added after the hype around Pulverizing Pancake. But good spot though and thank you to bringing it to attention, seems like a lot of people missed it. I'll add that to the OP when I talk about Snorlax.

Thank you for the link showing this. Its quite a way down the page, but still an important piece of information nevertheless.

It's not necessarily quite as literal as that. The wording, to me, leaves it open to the possibility of it meaning "Snorlax's normal-type move, in this case Giga Impact, transforms into it's Z-move".
Pre-release Pokémon has had a lot of odd wording like that in the past, so don't be too worried too quickly.
Definitely agree that this is the case. It allows you to use your "generic" typed Z move OR your personal Z Move. I doubt Pikachu will need to use Giga Impact for his Z move for example (considering both it and Eevee cannot learn it as of Gen 6 and it would break the mold if they could as Giga Impact is generally only given to evolved Pokemon). Definitely some interpretation of the meaning needs to be made here.

Last edited:
I didn't interpret it as Pikachu and Eevee needing Giga Impact, but one of their moves needs to be a certain one (eg Volt Tackle for Catastropika) to do the signature Z move, and any other electric attack for Gigavolt Havoc.

You guys are messing up. Its already been heavily implied Z-Moves will change depending on the power of the move. These are the generic ones that anyone can use. For signature Z-moves, like Snorlax, A special move will probably need to be in your moveset to activate it, in this case, Giga Impact. So if you want to see Snorlax scream "NOBODY CALLS ME TUBBY!", You will need to power up Giga Impact. As for Pikachu, Raichu, and Eevee, their "trigger moves" (what I'll call them for the moment) are unknown

Where did it say that?
It hasn't been stated outright, hence why I said implied. I'm basing this off what we saw in the Gamescom footage.

Pause when you the player selects the Z button. Notice how they have Normlium Z, so Slam is powered up. But also notice how there is also space for 3 other moves.Why would that be if ther is one attacking move for each type? We dont need 3 or 4 slots for the same attack. With Eevee's Z move confirming the existence of Status Z moves, it would make sense to have them differ in power as well.

There's also the issue with the attack shown off, which in english would be something like "Hyper Sprint." It's....not spectacular compared to the other Z moves. This lead me to believe that its because its only being powered up by Slam, and that more flashy, stronger Z moves will appear if combined with a higher base stat attack.

Good attention to detail Count Bleck. This has at least one obvious application: we can have a Normal Z Move that's special based and one that is attack based, this could be defined by the original Move that spawns the Z-move. From there a possibility would be that there is also a Z-Based move for Status, which doesn't need to be a boosting move for each type. In the end though, Z-moves are shaping up to be "Mega Attacks", so there might be just a small assortment of Generic ones that are linked to certain aspects of the attack (like being contact moves, sound moves etc.)

Good attention to detail Count Bleck. This has at least one obvious application: we can have a Normal Z Move that's special based and one that is attack based, this could be defined by the original Move that spawns the Z-move. From there a possibility would be that there is also a Z-Based move for Status, which doesn't need to be a boosting move for each type. In the end though, Z-moves are shaping up to be "Mega Attacks", so there might be just a small assortment of Generic ones that are linked to certain aspects of the attack (like being contact moves, sound moves etc.)
I don't think that's likely at all. Just with the non-exclusive Z-Moves, a physical/special split would mean well over 30 different z-stones which would be too much imo. Given how throwback-ish GF has been as of late, I wouldn't be surprised if the Z-moves actually reflected how moves were classified before the physical and special split in gen 4: Normal would be physical whereas Dark would be special, for example. Just food for thought, though.

I do like the idea of status Z-moves and I also think we'll probably get some more besides Eevee's, which is far more worthwhile than just straight up damage if I'm being honest.

I don't think that's likely at all. Just with the non-exclusive Z-Moves, a physical/special split would mean well over 30 different z-stones which would be too much imo. Given how throwback-ish GF has been as of late, I wouldn't be surprised if the Z-moves actually reflected how moves were classified before the physical and special split in gen 4: Normal would be physical whereas Dark would be special, for example. Just food for thought, though.

I do like the idea of status Z-moves and I also think we'll probably get some more besides Eevee's, which is far more worthwhile than just straight up damage if I'm being honest.
They mean that the chosen base move could determine the properties of the Z move produced. That eliminates the need for multiple Z crystals while still allowing for diverse Z moves (ie 36 offensive Z-moves instead of 36 Z Crystals).

[in use]
> Whismur is in battle and knows
- Tackle
- Growl
- Uproar

> Activate Z-move using Normilium Z, and three options are given since all three are Normal moves; the options are Physical, Status, and Special respectively.

Not too hard to code either. If it's true, that would mean a minimum of 54 non-unique Z-Moves between just 18 crystals.

Don't forget that bracelet and those Z Crystals that are going to be available as some sort of augmented reality.

Unless they are willing to manufacture who knows how many different types of crystals (not sure if that can be successful... even though we are talking about the Pokemon games)... I don't see them doing that.

Last edited:
Serebii recently posted that the 3DS is getting two new themes based on Team Rocket and Team Galactic. Is Nintendo just slowly teasing us with Gen 4 remakes or are they going to have something to do with the plot of Sun/Moon (like the Colress theory)

Serebii recently posted that the 3DS is getting two new themes based on Team Rocket and Team Galactic. Is Nintendo just slowly teasing us with Gen 4 remakes or are they going to have something to do with the plot of Sun/Moon (like the Colress theory)
I doubt they have anything to do with Sun/Moon. If anything, the Team Rocket one is probably more gen 1 pandering, and the Galatic one...I guess could mean something?

Or it could all be what D_what said.

If this were to signify something, it'd be hinting at a Gen 4 remake. There is no reason to include Team Plasma. The Colress Theory was weak to begin with but the chances are its hinting at a Gen 4 remake. As D_what said, it could also be they plan to make them for each team, but I doubt this.

man I freaking love gen 4, I don't think a remake can possibly bring back the metagame memories though which is the problem. Still, would be excited to see one but I want to go into the Distortion World and catch Giratina because Platinum in general was darker and had a bigger impact on my memory.

Also I hope Team Aether does something insane like Team Galactic did, committing genocide on the population of the Pokemon on Lake Valor hit me hard as a kid lmao. Imagine if something that insane actually happened again.

Or we'll get Plasma, Flare and Aqua/Magma themes at some point too, and these ones just happened to get finished first.
My one quip with this would be why would Galactic be done before say, Aqua or Magma, or even Skull (if they want to be forward looking)? Team Rocket, much like anything done recently by Pokemon, is Gen I pandering, so that makes sense. I totally agree that this may not be that big a deal and they just released them to celebrate the anniversary, I just found it incredibly curious.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you need certain moves for signature Z moves, my guess is that Pikachu needs to know Volt Tackle to use it's Z move on the basis that it's precisely the same concept as the move (in Volt Tackle, Pikachu charges at it's target at full strength to deal a devistating blow to it's target; in Catastropika (note that ひっさつのピカチュウト (Certain Kill: Pikchoot) is more accurate and further supports this) it's the same concept except that Pikachu is flung at it's target to deal an even more devistating blow to them due to a higher momentum courtesy of the higher initial velocity resulting in a higher speed when it hits when compared to a standing start). It just makes sense to me that Catastropika is just an upgraded Volt Tackle, and that was what ran through my mind when I first saw it.

I have no idea what Extreme Evoboost would be changing from though. Please note that I've not checked the website to see if it says anything, so it may already be up.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It hasn't been stated outright, hence why I said implied. I'm basing this off what we saw in the Gamescom footage.

Pause when you the player selects the Z button. Notice how they have Normlium Z, so Slam is powered up. But also notice how there is also space for 3 other moves.Why would that be if ther is one attacking move for each type? We dont need 3 or 4 slots for the same attack. With Eevee's Z move confirming the existence of Status Z moves, it would make sense to have them differ in power as well.

There's also the issue with the attack shown off, which in english would be something like "Hyper Sprint." It's....not spectacular compared to the other Z moves. This lead me to believe that its because its only being powered up by Slam, and that more flashy, stronger Z moves will appear if combined with a higher base stat attack.
There's four other slots because there's normally four moves. I don't see anything odd about that. Whatever move becomes the Z-Move is the slot that is pushed forward. In the trailer it was the first move that became the Z-Move as that was the slot with the Normal-type move, but had the Normal-type move been in the third slot it'll be the third slot that will become the Z-Move. I also imagine in multiple moves meet the criteria it'll also show those moves as the Z-Move.

I'm not saying the Z-Crystals won't have multiple Z-Moves, however from what we have now we can't really say for sure.

But what we do know, or was just pointed out, that they specified for Snorlax, it needs to at least know Giga Impact to use Pulverising Pancake. Now I also wouldn't be surprised if other moves also activated Pulverising Pancake if they work similarly to what it does. And I image this also could go for other Z-Moves. To me, this tells me you may have to sacrifice a moveslot for a possibly unwanted move if you want to use a Z-Move. Like I imagine the following Moves could activate the following Z-Moves:

Pulverising Pancake: Giga Impact, Body Slam
Catastropika & Stoked Sparksurfer: Volt Tackle, Spark, Wild Charge
Extreme Evoboost: Helping Hand, Double Team(?)
Hyper Sprint Attack: Quick Attack, Extreme Speed, Skull Bash, Tackle, Take Down, Double-Edge
Inferno Overdrive: Ember, Blast Burn, Fire Blast, Flame Burst, Incinerate, Inferno, (Flame Charge, Flame Wheel, Flare Blitz?)
Hydro Vortex: Whirlpool, Hydro Pump, Hydro Cannon, Water Pledge, Water Pulse, Water Spout, (Aqua Jet?)
Bloom Doom: Frenzy Plant, Grass Knot, Grass Pledge, Leaf Storm, Leaf Tornado, Magical Leaf, Petal Dance, (Leaf Blade, Petal Blizzard, Power Whip, Vine Whip?)
Gigavolt Havoc: Discharge, Electro Ball, Parabolic Charge, Shock Wave, Thunder Shock, Volt Switch, Zap Cannon, (Spark, Wild Charge, Volt Tackle?)
Fierce Fist: Arm Thrust, Close Combat, Cross Chop, Fighting-type Punching moves that can't be learned via TM, Karate Chop, Superpower, (Vacuum Wave?)

As you may notice I excluded moves learned by TM. This is so that it keeps the Z-Move generally exclusive to Pokemon who can naturally learn/get a move of that type be it level-up or Egg Move (I'll also let Move Tutor slide to give competitive player a bone; also we don't know how the Move Tutor teaches the move so it could them be unlocking a natural talent the Pokemon has hidden. TMs sort of feels like it force teaching the Pokemon via a machine) unless its a Signature Z-Move. Keep it wide open to assure all Pokemon of that type can learn that move at some point, but at the same time assure that only a select few Pokemon outside of the Move's type can also get it if they just so happened to learn the right activation move. This would also allow the possibility of a Z-Crystal having multiple Z-Moves linked to it.

There's also been a bunch of merchandise recently for the teams:

Oh my Arcues, those are too adorable. *Saves image for later Avatar uses*

However I think the Galactic and Flare Pikachu should have been given some wigs, the uniforms aren't complete without the teal and orange hair, respectively.

Now that I'm thinking of it, the 12-hour-difference between Sun and Moon that is stated in the website can be a surprisingly good marketing feature in terms of version differences if it does mean you are playing in a different timeframe for real.

Imagine you are that kind of guy that prefers Pokemon that appear only in the day (Not counting exclusives, of course), but you can only play in the night. What do you do? You purchase Sun. If you prefer night-only Pokemon, you purchase Moon. As simple as that.

Now that I'm thinking of it, the 12-hour-difference between Sun and Moon that is stated in the website can be a surprisingly good marketing feature in terms of version differences if it does mean you are playing in a different timeframe for real.

Imagine you are that kind of guy that prefers Pokemon that appear only in the day (Not counting exclusives, of course), but you can only play in the night. What do you do? You purchase Sun. If you prefer night-only Pokemon, you purchase Moon. As simple as that.
Actually, I believe the 12-hour difference works as Sun works on your system's clock, and Moon works on a 12 hour difference from your system clock, meaning you'd get moon if you wanted day only pokemon and could only play at night.
Still, you bring a good point, and I rather like this little difference!

It's been heavily implied that some Pokémon only appear at certain times of the day. Does that mean many of the new Pokédex spots could be version-exclusive, which will encourage players to trade with one another more frequently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)