Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
No music. I wonder why?

I agree with Pikachu315111, I'd have liked to see a cutscene. Or just a low-res "throw" animation. If only because the current method is a clearly cut corner and worryingly hints of laziness or limited time for polishing :| Remember how shocked and charmed we all were in XY when we saw how the player character bends down when they talk to NPC children? This is the opposite of that.

Do you guys think that the ability Corrosion (currently only Salandit is known to have it) will take effect only if directly poisoning the opponent via a status or offensive move with poisoning as a chance effect, or will a move like Toxic Spikes work as well? If setting up the Toxic Spikes would poison Steel and Poison types as well, then quite some strategies might be born from this.

Post-game. 3v3 singles. Imagine setting up Toxic Spikes while holding Focus Sash on a speed-invested Salandit. Set Toxic on the next turn (yeah, a hole is present here already, but meh). Then, switch onto Regenerator Slowbro w/ Leftovers. Protect to see the incoming move and get that Leftovers restore. Switch onto Regenerator Amoonguss w/ Black Sludge. Protect to see the incoming move and get that Black Sludge restore. Switch onto Slowbro and repeat the process.

Naturally, this set would have many holes, but would be fun nevertheless. No Sturdy Pokemon, hence one-hit KO moves would be getting in easily after a big streak. A Shadow Tag/Arena Trap opponent would prevent constant switches. Flying types, Pokemon with the Levitate ability or Air Balloon would resist the spikes entirely.

However, the switches, if they were to take place, would still be nice. Amoonguss can get super-effected by four types of moves, out of which Slowbro resists three of them while one deals neutral damage. The other way around, Slowbro can get super-effected by five types of moves out of which Amoonguss resists two and three deal neutral damage. Regarding Taunt, each Pokemon would still have an offensive move on them to at least get something in.

Yeah, I have too much time on my hands and speculate useless ideas... I actually wanted to realize something similar to this in XY, just having Shuckle with Toxic/Infestation instead of pure poison Corrosion. Shuckle's Sturdy can come in handy, though.

Salandit @ Focus Sash
Ability: Corrosion
Nature: Timid / Jolly (depends on the focus)
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def or 6 SpD / 252 Spe
- Toxic Spikes
- Toxic
- Protect
- (Fire-type move)

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 126 Def / 6 SpA / 126 SpD
- Protect
- Toxic (to get it in if Salandit fails / Flying, Levitate, Air Balloon)
- Scald (if Salandit faints and you face Steel/Poison, hope for the burn)
- Psychic (STAB and poison coverage)

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Nature: Bold
- Protect
- Spore (because 100% accuracy sleep)
- Giga Drain (combined with Spore when Amoonguss goes solo)

There it goes. Sturdy Shuckle is probably still a better choice. Plus there is also a combination of instead of having Regenerator Slowbro and Amoonguss, having Regenerator Audino and Reuniclus. There is the switch resist from Fighting types from Audino onto Reuniclus. The thing that this combo differs from the previous one is that Reuniclus can actually have Infestation. So, if Shuckle faints, it can take its place.

Though the biggest hole are really one-hit KO moves. The strategy is to stretch the battle for as long as needed for poison to take all of the opponents out. A longer battle means more chance for one-hit KO moves being successful if there is no Sturdy camper on the field. One Regenerator Pokemon is down and the other is rendered useless in this strategy. But yeah, still wanted to put this out there.

we don't know how far reaching the ability will be it's still way to early to discuss competitive aspects when we don't know how exactly how some of the new abilities will work we don't know their exact mechanics since we don't have access to the games yet.

i think such discussion should wait until detailed info comes out on that stuff.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Holy crap, if that's per day then that's just about $200/day in USD. That's a job I'd like to have.
Sell four pieces of pure gold, or throw six sea cucumbers back into the ocean? Apparently, the two ventures pay just the same.

EDIT: And by the way, keep both speculation and competitive talk to a minimum. OI is a non-competitive forum, and speculating on competitive matters has proven several times to be a completely fruitless exercise.

Last edited:
I don't think anything is wrong with speculating, to be honest. Predictions and facts are not the same, but both can easily be debated.
The problem is we don't know all the variables to make good guesses. For all we know, Salandit evolves again and all the speculation was for nothing.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sell four pieces of pure gold, or throw six sea cucumbers back into the ocean? Apparently, the two ventures pay just the same.

EDIT: And by the way, keep both speculation and competitive talk to a minimum. OI is a non-competitive forum, and speculating on competitive matters has proven several times to be a completely fruitless exercise.
How small are your pieces? You're not selling individual atoms, right?

Anyway to keep on topic, loving everything so far, very much doubt they'd remove megas and very keen for release!!

Do you guys think that the ability Corrosion (currently only Salandit is known to have it) will take effect only if directly poisoning the opponent via a status or offensive move with poisoning as a chance effect, or will a move like Toxic Spikes work as well? If setting up the Toxic Spikes would poison Steel and Poison types as well, then quite some strategies might be born from this.

Post-game. 3v3 singles. Imagine setting up Toxic Spikes while holding Focus Sash on a speed-invested Salandit. Set Toxic on the next turn (yeah, a hole is present here already, but meh). Then, switch onto Regenerator Slowbro w/ Leftovers. Protect to see the incoming move and get that Leftovers restore. Switch onto Regenerator Amoonguss w/ Black Sludge. Protect to see the incoming move and get that Black Sludge restore. Switch onto Slowbro and repeat the process.

Naturally, this set would have many holes, but would be fun nevertheless. No Sturdy Pokemon, hence one-hit KO moves would be getting in easily after a big streak. A Shadow Tag/Arena Trap opponent would prevent constant switches. Flying types, Pokemon with the Levitate ability or Air Balloon would resist the spikes entirely.

However, the switches, if they were to take place, would still be nice. Amoonguss can get super-effected by four types of moves, out of which Slowbro resists three of them while one deals neutral damage. The other way around, Slowbro can get super-effected by five types of moves out of which Amoonguss resists two and three deal neutral damage. Regarding Taunt, each Pokemon would still have an offensive move on them to at least get something in.

Yeah, I have too much time on my hands and speculate useless ideas... I actually wanted to realize something similar to this in XY, just having Shuckle with Toxic/Infestation instead of pure poison Corrosion. Shuckle's Sturdy can come in handy, though.

Salandit @ Focus Sash
Ability: Corrosion
Nature: Timid / Jolly (depends on the focus)
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def or 6 SpD / 252 Spe
- Toxic Spikes
- Toxic
- Protect
- (Fire-type move)

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
- Protect
- Scald (if Salandit faints and you face Steel/Poison, hope for the burn)
- Psychic (STAB and poison coverage)

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Nature: Bold
- Protect
- Spore (because 100% accuracy sleep)
- Giga Drain (combined with Spore when Amoonguss goes solo)

There it goes. Sturdy Shuckle is probably still a better choice. Plus there is also a combination of instead of having Regenerator Slowbro and Amoonguss, having Regenerator Audino and Reuniclus. There is the switch resist from Fighting types from Audino onto Reuniclus. The thing that this combo differs from the previous one is that Reuniclus can actually have Infestation. So, if Shuckle faints, it can take its place.

Though the biggest hole are really one-hit KO moves. The strategy is to stretch the battle for as long as needed for poison to take all of the opponents out. A longer battle means more chance for one-hit KO moves being successful if there is no Sturdy camper on the field. One Regenerator Pokemon is down and the other is rendered useless in this strategy. But yeah, still wanted to put this out there.
Theorymon: The Movie: The Game: The Movie.

Coming worldwide December 2018.
Holy crap, if that's per day then that's just about $200/day in USD. That's a job I'd like to have.
"Pyukumuku hate to have their spikes and mouths touched, and if you step on one, it will hurl out its fist-like inner organs to strike at you."

I don't know man... This job seems dangerous as hell.

Still, I'm excited that the other "weather" moves are getting some love, and hopeful that Grassy and Misty terrain will get their own setters too (along with other forgotten field changes, like Trick Room, Magic Room, Wonder Room, and Gravity). But that would be wish listing.
To be fair, Trick Room is already dangerous on its own. It has broader use than the weather with specific type and attacks. Maybe not necessarily dangerous in singles, but in Triples (and maybe doubles), top players will always bring it (or its sure counters) and Battle Facility Triples is about using or defusing it when it's involved.
I've been imagining how you could pair those two up with Politoed for 100% accurate, double STAB Thunders on a twice as fast Raichu for Battle [Facility Name Here] Triples.
Plus Politoed provides some coverage against Ground-types not neutral/immune to Water (and Ice)-type moves.
Eh, in that case you'll leave one Pokemon open. I don't believe Politoed is strong enough to take out the last target most of time. I'd rather pick quick Lightning Rod user like Mega-Sceptile and have the two spam Discharges.

Anyway, 20000 Pokes? For just one Pyukumuku? I haven't had the time to watch it, but hey, just one can pay for a month worth of living!

... wait, so is beating few Rich Boys. At least with O-Power eating Coil okonomiyaki in Mauville's chair-grabbing gauntlet restaurant in AS gives decent money, even though only once per day.

I can't get over how good this game's gonna look. It's little things, like the shoreline and the way the character models look that get me excited. Even the way the character runs is so much better. Idk how to describe it. This game is step up from XY/ORAS all right. I'm too happy about this.

2. Kind of disappointed there isn't a quick cutscene of you throwing it back into the water. Well, actually I wanted the mini-game to be you flinging the things back into the water via a giant slingshot or something.
Them not showing us exactly how we got the pyukumuku back into the water means we can get really creative with it.

Maybe it's some sort of modified rocket launcher.

I can't get over how good this game's gonna look. It's little things, like the shoreline and the way the character models look that get me excited. Even the way the character runs is so much better.
Let's not forget how much GF upped their game from Gen V to Gen VI. XY were absolutely gorgeous and SM is shaping up to be a decent upgrade. That being said it's obvious the 3DS limits the size of the upgrade and while it is way too early to say that, I can't wait to see what GameFreak can do with their next Hardware upgrade.

To be fair, Trick Room is already dangerous on its own. It has broader use than the weather with specific type and attacks. Maybe not necessarily dangerous in singles, but in Triples (and maybe doubles), top players will always bring it (or its sure counters) and Battle Facility Triples is about using or defusing it when it's involved.

Eh, in that case you'll leave one Pokemon open. I don't believe Politoed is strong enough to take out the last target most of time. I'd rather pick quick Lightning Rod user like Mega-Sceptile and have the two spam Discharges.

Anyway, 20000 Pokes? For just one Pyukumuku? I haven't had the time to watch it, but hey, just one can pay for a month worth of living!

... wait, so is beating few Rich Boys. At least with O-Power eating Coil okonomiyaki in Mauville's chair-grabbing gauntlet restaurant in AS gives decent money, even though only once per day.
It's not one, you have to run around the beach looking for several of them to throw them back. And I'm hoping the cut scene is there, they just didn't show.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Let's not forget how much GF upped their game from Gen V to Gen VI. XY were absolutely gorgeous and SM is shaping up to be a decent upgrade. That being said it's obvious the 3DS limits the size of the upgrade and while it is way too early to say that, I can't wait to see what GameFreak can do with their next Hardware upgrade.
If it's anything like the past games, looking at simple RPGs from around 5 years ago should give you a decent idea what gen 8 will look like.

It's not one, you have to run around the beach looking for several of them to throw them back. And I'm hoping the cut scene is there, they just didn't show.
You think they might have cut out a cool cutscene in the promotional gameplay video they released? Sorry, but that just doesn't make any sense.

Also a cutscene would become incredibly annoying after the first couple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)