Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
new corocoro in like 20 days

wonder what they'll announce this time
For the last several months, GameFreak has been releasing trailers on the 1st or 2nd of the month, so hopefully we'll get some new info even before the next CoroCoro.

I'm crossing my fingers for Mega Evolutions.

I don't like unnecesary cutscenes either. To be honest, I've been always agaisnt all this new (now not so new) videogame phylosophy which revolves around shapes over content, so I don't apply this to Pokémon exclusively. Even when they are neccesary given the appropiate context, I don't like cutscenes as the primary narrative engine. It's a methodology brought from the cinema. Of course they are visually stunning, and keep the narrative flowing when there aren't in-game mechanics to justify the progress (this occurs in almost every modern game, say Sonic Adventure 2, a classic 3D platformer, when you clear a stage a video showing how Sonic or his friends moves into the next area appears, in substitution to a playable stage), but... let's just keep them at a minimum.

In some ways they are an involution, its abuse or its bad use is detrimental to the game pace. I know what I'm talking about, I softreseted Omega Ruby until I got a Shiny Giratina (over 3500 SRs with photos of papers and papers marked posted years ago), and that Mega Latios scene everytime man...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ooh, that shoreline... so pretty with its washing waves, and the shore doesn't form a straight line with 90-degree bends. This is a huge graphics improvement over earlier games, for sure.
And by the designers point of view this is just a normal location, think about the locations which the designers want to look beautiful. And yet I've seen videos of people saying the graphics don't look good because they aren't hi-res (which they aren't, but that doesn't mean the game can't be beautiful working within its own art style limits).

No music. I wonder why?

I agree with Pikachu315111, I'd have liked to see a cutscene. Or just a low-res "throw" animation. If only because the current method is a clearly cut corner and worryingly hints of laziness or limited time for polishing :| Remember how shocked and charmed we all were in XY when we saw how the player character bends down when they talk to NPC children? This is the opposite of that.
Either didn't want to reveal the music, they're working on the music, or the mini-game has its own special tune they're working on.

I would have just been fine with a POV shot of player chucking the Pyukumuku model back in.

Also I wouldn't call it lazy, just they considered unneeded thus not worth the effort putting in. Also you still see the player not only bend down to interact with the Pyukumuku but the Pyukumuku also turns toward the player and bends up to look at them so it doesn't feel like a stiff experience either.

The large money given makes me wonder if there's going to be money sinks in this game like in X&Y. Maybe super expensive clothing again?
Or a ton of different kinds of Hawaiian shirts. :P

Do you guys think that the ability Corrosion (currently only Salandit is known to have it) will take effect only if directly poisoning the opponent via a status or offensive move with poisoning as a chance effect, or will a move like Toxic Spikes work as well? If setting up the Toxic Spikes would poison Steel and Poison types as well, then quite some strategies might be born from this.
As AJC said, too early to tell though I would say it's just for Status moves used directly by Salandit. So this would just mean Toxic, Poison Gas, and Poison Powder (also means Venom Drench would now affect poisoned Steel/Immunity Pokemon). No Toxic Spikes as that's not coming directly from Salandit even if it was the one who used the move. As for other Poison moves, MAYBE it'll try applying secondary effects if they Poison but I think it'll just be the status moves. Though honestly Corrosion + Toxic I think is all that Salandit would need.

Holy crap, if that's per day then that's just about $200/day in USD. That's a job I'd like to have.
"Pyukumuku hate to have their spikes and mouths touched, and if you step on one, it will hurl out its fist-like inner organs to strike at you."

I don't know man... This job seems dangerous as hell.
I get paid less and constantly bumping my head and accidentally scratching/cutting myself at my current job by accident. Being I will know to ignore the spikes and mouth, as long as I'm careful I should be okay otherwise I would deserve to get hit (also I'd wear armor padding and a helmet to lessen the blow)... I'm putting too much thought into this.

Anyway, 20000 Pokes? For just one Pyukumuku? I haven't had the time to watch it, but hey, just one can pay for a month worth of living!
Actually its 6 so that's 3,333.3~ per Pyukumuku. Also the player did the job within 1 minute and 7 seconds if time is a factor. I'm also going to guess the Pyukumuku are randomly distributed so if you're unlucky one could end up behind something or they're really far apart costing you time (and who knows if its 6 all the time).

But hey, if this is daily that's 200 + 30 = 6,000 a month. That would pay my rent, monthly bills, grocery & other living expenses, and I'd still have leftover to save up. And being this only takes a minute to do I'd still have time to pursue a hobby career.

We get paid to do more odd jobs again in Alola? Nice, I enjoyed taking a breather from adventuring in Kalos by working at Hotel Richissime every now and then, and this doesn't seem any different.
It does remind me of Hotel Richissime's mini-games. I wonder if all the beaches will have this mini-game or just this one since its part of a hotel. As for the other odd jobs, would actually build the region a bit by having you help out the locals in normally mundane tasks (maybe with a Pokemon twist) to show how rural the Alola region is.

At least they could have had the decency to make them skippable, but...
They should allow you to save right before initiating a Legendary and then a moment of gameplay after to let you check the Legendary's stats. I get wanting to make the experience cinematic but then the Pokemon mechanics makes you unable to as you instead want to get the best one you can. Even now with you able to increase IVs you'll still soft reset to get the right Nature (unless you can change that too).

Oh, and letting you to skip the cutscene too, like starting from Kingdom Hearts 2 you can skip a cutscene by pausing and it'll have the option there.

Do you guys think that the ability Corrosion (currently only Salandit is known to have it) will take effect only if directly poisoning the opponent via a status or offensive move with poisoning as a chance effect, or will a move like Toxic Spikes work as well?
Toxic Spikes is unlikely to be affected by Corrosion. After all, Stealth Rocks laid by a 'mon with Mold Breaker still do no damage to a 'mon with Magic Guard.

Eh, in that case you'll leave one Pokemon open. I don't believe Politoed is strong enough to take out the last target most of time. I'd rather pick quick Lightning Rod user like Mega-Sceptile and have the two spam Discharges.
It's main job is really to set up the rain to give Raichu-A and Tapu Koko the most powerful move and have it hit every time. And with moves like Ice Beam and [insert +50% Water move here], it could take out the direct threats to the others (things like the Rhydon line or Mega Sceptile).

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
No comments on the Sand Pits on the beach? I know this is probably pointing out the obvious, but they look like places where you find Wild Pokemon. It's nice to see those, because I was wondering how they'd let you find Wild Pokemon on beaches. (I would have guessed beach grass, but this works too.) The sand pits being in a different part of the beach from the Humans main area is also a nice touch. With how close together the two areas are, I'm guessing that the attitudes between Humans and Wild Pokemon are less like, "Must battle!" and more like, "Hey look, a Pokemon." and "Hey look, a Human."

I just loooove Pyukumuku's cry. It sounds squishy!

And the new graphics are just gorgeous. I can't wait to see what the Icy and Lava areas look like.
This game looks great graphically, everything is so much less artificial than XY and ORAS, but I guess you can't fault one for being a remake and the other for just being lazy.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
No comments on the Sand Pits on the beach? I know this is probably pointing out the obvious, but they look like places where you find Wild Pokemon. It's nice to see those, because I was wondering how they'd let you find Wild Pokemon on beaches. (I would have guessed beach grass, but this works too.) The sand pits being in a different part of the beach from the Humans main area is also a nice touch. With how close together the two areas are, I'm guessing that the attitudes between Humans and Wild Pokemon are less like, "Must battle!" and more like, "Hey look, a Pokemon." and "Hey look, a Human."
GameXplain on Youtube did. He theorized that it could be Sandyghast.

CTNC

GameXplain on Youtube did. He theorized that it could be Sandyghast.
Oh... I don't check for talk about Sun and Moon outside of Smogon, so I didn't see anyone talking about it. (I like that we only talk about the confirmed or close enough to confirmed here.)

Even though it does look like look like Sandyghast holes, I think that there's probably other Pokemon you could find there, because they've been shying away from areas with only one Pokemon in them. Pyukumuku would make sense because you see them in the area. I'm going to mention Crabrawler as another possibility for something you can find there. I don't think I need to explain my reasoning behind Crabrawler.

Am i the only one who do no want any mor news about this game until is released??
You're not alone. I especially don't want gameplay footage like we got today. It ruins the novelty of the first playthrough when I already know some of the scenarios in the game. I'm getting really close to leaving Pokemon for awhile so that I can avoid the spoilers. It's just so tempting to look, and hard to avoid.

I've started to learn how to read Japanese katakana, so TIL that バイト (baito) which appears in the video title and multiple times in the game text is an abbreviation for アルバイト (arubaito), which specifically means the kind of part-time job a student would have. And unlike most loanwords in Japanese which come from English, this one actually comes from German (Arbeit, meaning "job"). Very interesting.

I've started to learn how to read Japanese katakana, so TIL that バイト (baito) which appears in the video title and multiple times in the game text is an abbreviation for アルバイト (arubaito), which specifically means the kind of part-time job a student would have. And unlike most loanwords in Japanese which come from English, this one actually comes from German (Arbeit, meaning "job"). Very interesting.
I love learning about loan words. Why? I am a giant dork.

I just want to see the Greninja thing and new mechanics.
Don't always just give us new POkemon.
Has there been any sort of confirmation about any Greninja thing? I thought those were all in unsubstantiated or debunked leaks.

I guess I'm not expecting any more new mechanics, at least of the sort that they'd advertise. I mean there could be more changes to the Sleep or Crit mechanics, etc., but that's not usually in the promotional material.

If there's one mechanic I hope they'll include, it's an Ability tutor, to make getting Hidden Abilities easier. The main reason I stopped playing in Gen V was the unavailability of Hidden Abilities. But I'm not holding my breath on that; GameFreak loves their event giveaways, etc.

The problem is, the more new mechanics they introduce the harder it will be for me to understand what's going on. And then there are other mechanics which we don't even know they're gonna keep up like mega evolutions.

The problem is, the more new mechanics they introduce the harder it will be for me to understand what's going on. And then there are other mechanics which we don't even know they're gonna keep up like mega evolutions.
GF never tosses a mechanic entirely, so yes Megas are here to stay.

GF never tosses a mechanic entirely, so yes Megas are here to stay.
I will say it does feel odd that we haven't heard even a peep about Megas in here. I don't doubt Megas and Z-Moves will coexist (just look at the name of the latter! Again, I think Z-Moves were originally slated for the would-have-been Pokemon Z), but I am getting worried about whether we'll get new Mega Stones. Although there is a good chance they're going to wait until they've filtered down everything there is to know about Z-Moves.

Let's try not to get back into the megas or no megas conversation lol

As for mechanics, I don't think any of them are difficult to understand. Remember, this game needs to still be playable to children. I think the only mechanics that are kinda difficult are EVs and IVs, and those are getting easier. You technically don't even need them for the game, so the fact that Game Freak decided to make the whole process less difficult is awesome.

Idk about any other new mechanics we could be getting though. It's probably just gonna be hyper training and z-moves, which I'm fine with. If anything, they should show us more of that. I don't mind new pokemon, or even a little gameplay footage, but other people want to be at least somewhat surprised while playing.

Last edited:

CTNC

Let's try not to get back into the megas or no megas conversation lol
This. Just this. Haven't we had enough of that?
As for mechanics, I don't think any of them are difficult to understand. Remember, this game needs top still be playable to children. I think the only mechanics that are kinda difficult are EVs and IVs, and those are getting easier. You technically don't even need them for the game, so the fact that Game Freak decided to make the whole process less difficult is awesome.
Because Hordes, EV training is just a small detour. Because of the Destiny Knot and Legends having at least 3 flawless IVs, 5/6 IV Pokemon became accessible to people without RNG Abuse. Because of Hyper Training, I went back to Fire Red to get a Softboiled Clefairy and Sword Dance Qwilfish. (Is there anything else I should get in ether Fire Red or Emerald?) Needless to say, I believe that Game Freak is handling EVs and IVs very well.
(If you don't know or care about EVs and IVs, that's fine too because you can still have fun without them, but if you're one of those people, it brings up the question of why you're on Smogon.)
Idk about any other new mechanics we could be getting though. It's probably just gonna be hyper training and z-moves, which I'm fine with. If anything, they should show us more of that. I don't mind new pokemon, or even a little gameplay footage, but other people want to be at least somewhat surprised while playing.
I want to see the Flying Z-Move so we know how funny it is when Dugtrio uses it. As for game play, if they stick to the first island, I don't care what they show because it's not that much of a spoiler if it's early game.

Considering this is the first gen without any gyms (and it also sounds like they're getting rid of HMs as well), I'd say we can already start throwing out any theories that are only backed by "it's always been like this".
I believe what Norne meant was that they never toss mechanics that affect battles. (Unless you count the Battle Frontier.) Gyms don't affect battles, so who cares about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)