1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

General Doubles Metagame Thread

Discussion in 'BW Doubles' started by Pocket, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectivireRocks

ElectivireRocks Banned deucer.

Actually, when you use 2 pledge moves in the same turn, the second one gets its BP increased from 50 to 150. That's pretty damn good.
    Swampert+Infernape seem to be the best candidates to use this combo.
    It's probably not worth building an entire team around it, but I'm pretty sure both of them are viable in doubles and can spare a moveslot for those moves.

Keep in mind that Rock Slide hits both opponents and Infernape is quite fast, while Swampert is bulky and learns Icy Wind, which is helpful if you're planning to abuse flinchaxing.
    As a bonus Infernape learns Fake Out while Swampert learns Wide Guard.
  2. nyttyn

nyttyn

Braverius, if things are flat out dying before they can even move then spread moves doesn't really matter. If Deoxys-A is getting two kills before it dies, mission accomplished. Really you're going to have to elaborate on more then just "lol spread moves" to say Deo-A is pretty sad given how many pros it has going for it. And any smart Deo-A user is going to use protect and switches to get around Prioirty, which is 99.5% of the time criminally obvious.

Also if you're new to the tier or don't mind giving it a rate, I posted a RMT: Savior of the Sky.
  3. BlankZero

BlankZero
    is a Tutor

Introducing Hitmontop! Now with Wide Guard AND Fake Out! In Stores NOW!

But really, Focus Sash = 2 lives. Protect = exponentially more if used correctly (while the partner fakes out the priority user while DeoA kills the Spread user.)

It's a lot harder to take down than you suggest, which was what I thought initially. Til it protected in my face and my attacker got ruined by fight Gem CC from Top.
  4. StarmanXL

StarmanXL

That's my point. Unless you use them together, they do garbage damage, whereas other moves have very respectable BPs making them usable under a much wider variety of circumstances.
  5. Laga

Laga Thank u based danish pastry
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
    Mentor

Focus Punch + After You can be an absolute gold mine!!

If you use Focus punch with a conkeldurr and After You on Cinccino, you get a +-0 priority 115 speed Focus punch off a 140 base attack pokemon. Pack on a life orb or a fighting gem, and you have yourself a true "powerhouse"

Here is a VGC testing match using it: http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/doublesvgc2013-14453054
    Level 51 and finally like this.
  6. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the Astronaut's pet dog >:3
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Lead

LOL, excellent find, Lagalag4 :D

it's unfortunate that there aren't many fast users of After You, though. The closest thing I could find is Mew - Cinccino should be attacking, not supporting its partner, imo. There are plenty of TR After You users, though, so Conkeldurr may be able to spam super strong Iron Fist-boosted Focus Punch if paired with such mons xD

Today, I tested Eggy's new team - and I'm posting the replay here, since it does showcase some interesting stuff!
    • First I want to point out that nyttyn was right about Sash Deoxys-A - it actually saved me the game here, surviving Chandelure's Heat Wave to kill Amoonguss with Psycho Boost. Focus Sash also saved Eggy, too, foiling my plans to prevent Chandelure's Trick Room by killing it off with Latios's Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor.
    • Effect Spore Amoonguss - I am not sure if most Doubles player prefer Effect Spore over Regenerator, but it has certainly trolled me in this game. That 30% chance to screw that Fake Out user is quite a bitch!
    • Utility of Gyarados in Doubles - although Gastrodon totally rendered it useless offensively, Gyarados was still able to provide some crucial support in this game, thanks to Intimidate, Taunt, T-Wave, and overall decent bulk and typing.
    • fucking Muddy Water - BAN!!! I was lucky that Eggy didn't set up Trick Room again when my Latios's move missed >_<
  7. Pwnemon

Pwnemon judges silently
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Doubles Co-Lead

Not really convinced this is worth it, at all. You only attack with one Pokemon per turn, instead of two. I mean technically you could attack with cinc but it's a joke, and conk's power output will tank. So while you're using AY-punch, you can only hit one Pokemon and then you're just giving its partner a free shot at whoever they choose (probably Cinc which is a complete joke defensively, and once it falls, gg strategy). Besides, though conky has coverage, your strategy isn't doing too hot when facing an amoonguss or Intimidator. And it's still outsped by a fair number of pokemon (in TR this becomes "all of them" and you have no way to stop TR here).

After You isn't necessarily a gimmick. But After You Cincinno + Focus Punch Conkeldurr definitely is
  8. youngjake93

youngjake93

Well after you+fous punch is pretty much the same thing as helping hand hammer arm, but with worse distribution and less reliability.
    If you want to hit faster then there are better forms of speed control like paralysis, tail wind, icy wind, and trick room
  9. Agonist

Agonist You were my last great war, you were my heaven ablaze
    is a Forum Moderator

10. BlankZero

BlankZero
    is a Tutor

That's a really crazy match. Muddy Water is so trolltastic though, so it was a great match overall I think.
  11. BlankZero

BlankZero
    is a Tutor

Hate Cress? Wanna see what will make you hate it more?

I present to you...

RestTalkCMCress!

*Warning: Replay Contains Strong Language*

[​IMG]
    Cresselia @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpAtk
    Bold Nature
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Calm Mind
    -Ice Beam

This guy is designed to be a Comeback Kid, not a midgame tank or sweeper. CM up as soon as your opponent's Bug/Dark/Ghost types are safely gone, and begin the wreckage. Toxic got you down? Rest clears status and with Sleep Talk, you can still get either more boosts off or fire off the not-often-resisted Ice Beam at +whatever. Then, once you awaken, either rest off the sustained sleeping damage, or boost, or fire off again! It's very trolly, but it really does work.

I know sometimes I post sets that don't seem to work 100% of the time, but this one works better than CM Moonlight Cress in the sun, as it can't be worn down with Toxic or Burn, which was the bane of CMCress.

It pairs well with a heavy offensive threat like Kyub or DeoA, as the opponent will focusfire at it instead, leaving Cress to slowly and silently become a Behemoth.

Threats to this set?

-Suckerpunch SD Bisharp
    -CB Bug Bite/U-Turn Scizor
    -Darkrai
    -TTar
    -Scarf Landorus carrying U-Turn

Hitmontop would be a fantastic partner to this set, killing off most of these threats, as well as Steel Types that resist Ice Beam. Cress can kill off any Flying types threatening Top, like Tornadus-I and Crobat (seeing quite a few of them lately.) You can also run Chandelure to take care of walls and Bulky Psychic Types, though Top would still be needed for the Dark Types.
  12. Audiosurfer

Audiosurfer have one on me
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

My main qualm with that set Blankzero is that if I wanted to use a boosting Cress, why not use something like Chestorest? On your set you lack a STAB move (which is a pretty big problem for any sweeper), while a Chestorest set would have room for STAB + a coverage move. While you can only get rid of status once, you usually wont need any more times, as you can set up and wait till you're low on health to Rest, then KO the status user and continue your rampage.

On top of the lack of a STAB however, that Cresselia set has the weakness of just about every RestTalk user, which is that you may be forced to switch before you have woken up, leaving you with a mon that's essentially dead weight. Also, Sleep Talk isn't always reliable in terms of move selection which can be crucial in the difference between getting another boost and being KOed. So yeah, not a bad set, but I think it's outclassed by the other options.
  13. BlankZero

BlankZero
    is a Tutor

I've done ChestoRest on this as well, but this RestTalk really works well as an endgame wall when you're down to your last Mon. It's by no means perfect, but it is quite a wall. If only I could run a 5th move.

Also, I would run STAB, but MonoAttacking Ice has better coverage than MonoAttacking Psychic. Honestly, I usually run Moonlight and Toxic, or just rest and toxic and just let Cress be hit a few times while asleep, as her bulk is ridiculous already. I guess you could run CM/Psyshock/Ice Beam/Rest with Chesto Berry, but then you lose Lefties recovery. It's really a toss up and whatever set you run will reflect on what team you're running. I'll do some more testing, but this Cress isn't terrible. I just felt like, with Rest, she was healed and then deadweight for 2 turns. At least this way she has an option to use while she naps.
  14. youngjake93

youngjake93

I feel as if that Cresselia set was made to destroy in tier shift with like Terrakion as a partner or even bulk up scrafty!
    In doubles.. Meh, it can get forced out too fast and doesn't get nice stat boosts or 1v1 match ups.
  15. BlankZero

BlankZero
    is a Tutor

Read again. It's not made to come out and sweep. It's a trump card for when you need to wall up a bit and stall out an opponent at the end of a match. It can be forced out yes, but so can any setup Mon.
  16. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

I remember one time in singles (and gen 4 to boot), I couldn't kill some goofy Charge Beam Cresselia as it slowly boosted itself to +6. I stalled it out with Jirachi because it simply doesn't do any damage, especially with defense EVs in mind. It's a poor imitation of Latias, who can more reliably utilize its STAB and has a much higher base offensive capability.

And it has a harder time setting up in doubles to boot. You're better off with Helping Hand if you want to punish an opponent for ignoring your Cresselia, which players are (or at least I am) wont to do since it usually doesn't pose a serious threat itself.
  17. StarmanXL

StarmanXL

I dunno man, with the ability to set up screens and helping hand and icy wind and trick room and thunder wave, Cress is definitely a mon I would want dead sooner rather than later, so you can't really rely on the enemy ignoring it.
  18. BlankZero

BlankZero
    is a Tutor

Has anyone tried using Tornadus-Therian at all? It's not banned in Doubles...
  19. StarmanXL

StarmanXL

I haven't used it, but I think its real problem is that Tornadus-I does things better. All Tornadus-T has going for it is Regenerator, which is cool, but not cool enough. You want a tailwind user? Tornadus-I does it better. You want a rain setter and abuser? Tornadus-I does it better. Pure damage? Tornadus-I has better offenses. Speed? Tornadus-T wins there, but really they're both really fast. Want to try a physical set? Tornadus-I wins because it gets Defiant to fuck over the glut of Intimidate users. Really, I'm just not sure what niche Tornadus-T can eke out for himself in this meta.
  20. BlankZero

BlankZero
    is a Tutor

It's really kind of sad that the only 2 "Uber" I see anymore are DeoA and Skymin. It's like the things that were too powerful for OU Singles are just not up to par in Doubles.

That being said, Torn-T still has a killer SleepTalk set.
  21. StarmanXL

StarmanXL

Why is that sad at all? I don't see anything wrong with that (besides, Genesect is pretty good, and Excadrill is a must for any sand team). Also I'm skeptical of SleepTalk--I can't imagine it being too reliable and it's not like Torn-T has the defenses and typing for repeated resting.
  22. Pocket

is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Lead

Yea, Tornadus-I will see more use than Tornadus-T for number of reasons. Firstly it has better abilities in DEFIANT and Prankster. Secondly, it packs more power, allowing to do cool things like scoring a KO on Latios with Flying Gem-boosted Acrobatics! Tornadus-T's Regenerator and Speed really doesn't compare to such advantages.

I started making a new team to test out CM HydraRest Manaphy:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Manaphy @ Leftovers
    Trait: Hydration
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Rest

It was a bit harder to use than I have expected. First of all, it needs at least +2 CMs to really get going, so Rage Powder / Follow Me support is particularly beneficial. Amoonguss is the best mon for this, because it can soak Electric and Grass-type assaults with ease. Lightning Rod user is another nifty support to shield Manaphy from concentrated Electric attacks while it's setting up. Against a defensive team, it's quite easy to grab those boosts on Manaphy. Offensive teams oftentimes wont allow Manaphy to set up willy nilly, though, so you'd want a plan B. It's quite frustrating that I cannot fit Protect on this set (I need Ice Beam for Gastrodon), which would help buy time when facing offensive teams. Kyurem-Black in particular is annoying, because it can usually tear through Amoongus and Manectric (my LRod user) without a thought to get to Manaphy. Definitely have a strong checks to dragons like Kyurem-Black (and to a lesser extent Latios / Hydreigon). And of course don't forget Politoed ;)

I tested this team with some of the peeps at #doubles (thanks guys :>)

vs Pwnemon - showcases where Manaphy couldn't pull its weight ;( Kyurem-Bitch negated LRod fml
    vs Mr.lol - faced a gimmicky team; he didn't mount a strong enough offense to stop Manaphy from grabbing boosts.
  23. Cease Tick

Cease Tick

Hey guys I just posted an rmt; I figured you might be interested so I decided to post about it here. Here's a preview:

Show Hide
    Chief Justice (Scizor) @ Occa Berry
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 136 HP / 152 Atk / 172 SDef / 48 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Tailwind
    - Protect

El Presidente (Tyranitar) @ Chople Berry
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 100 HP / 184 Atk / 224 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Crunch
    - Rock Slide
    - Stone Edge
    - Protect

Predator (Genesect) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature
    - U-turn
    - Flamethrower
    - Giga Drain
    - Ice Beam

The Nuclear Option (Victini) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Victory Star
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - V-create
    - U-turn
    - Bolt Strike
    - Brick Break

Chief of Staff (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    - Tailwind
    - Heal Pulse
    - Draco Meteor
    - Helping Hand

M16 (Breloom) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Mach Punch
    - Bullet Seed
    - Spore
    - Protect

Also there may be a big post about tailwind coming here in the near future, but I'm too tired to write it now.
  24. Pocket

Doubles Co-Lead

Another powerful newcomer graces Doubles! My appreciation for Victini doubled (no pun intended >_<) from watching your replays (and facing Joim's Sun TR team ;(). For a team that is pimping with Victini, it's quite hard-walled by Heatran, though. Genesect & Victini may be great Tailwind sweepers, but they are probably not meant to be used on a same team ;x

You peaked #1 and not me, so you probably know what you're doing more than me, though, lol
  25. Joim

Joim All promises become a lie, all that's bening corrups in time
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Good team, but over that, good player. Let's see if I can peak #1 too someday with my current team or a new one :X
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)