General Fighting Game Discussion

People seemed to want this, and all the other fighting game threads are only active when recent announcements have been made or whatever, so hopefully things will be more consistent with everything consolidated in one place (and without excluding all the non-Capcom stuff, for that matter).

Major upcoming games

Capcom:
New Darkstalkers game???

Arc System Works:
Blazblue: Chrono Phantasma ???

Namco:
Tekken x Street Fighter (PS3/360 - ???)

Other:
Injustice - Gods Among Us (Netherrealm Studios) (PS3/360/WiiU - TBA 2013

xbl: elephants 100 and i play MVC3, SSF4AE, and 3rd strike.

im really looking forward to skullgirls and in particular how the character selection is going to work. mike z said that while it is a team game you have to option of just picking one or two team members with the buff of additional health (and maybe something else??), which could be cool if the buffs are a good enough trade off for the lack of assists. however we havent really seen a lot of good assist gameplay and dont even know all the characters so we'll see.

also cant wait for SFxT kuma/yoshi will be great.

Yeah, I'm excited because apparently Juri has a character teaser for SFxT now... just need Leo, now. Unlikely but whateverrr. >_>

And yeah the ratio system thing for Skullgirls will get interesting. A lone character has like doubled offense/defense, so you can pretty much obliterate characters with one good combo. Seems like it'll be difficult to do that against good players, though, in the long run.

Hey guys so how about that Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, does anyone want to play me and my Japanese friend (may as well make use of him while I'm over here) sometime?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Smash on Smogon is far too large for this thread, please keep discussion of Smash Bros. games to that thread.

Hey, can I do this? After some discussion the decision was made to close down the Battle Capacity forum (hopefully shortly after I post this). So the link for v07, probably the final one, is going here.
http://www.multiupload.com/94HDEXC9XH

In addition to fixing some problems with the Arcade mode, the final character slot has been filled with Tomohawk. Everything you need for online play is included in the folder (Lunaport and Hamachi if you don't know how to port forward).

Thanks to everyone who contributed, if even just by way of the hours and hours of playtesting!

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
heh, yeah Juri, Rog and Vega are all likely to be confirmed for SFXT at the very least, didnt expect rog and vega to both pop up, just one or the other but not both.
R.Mika MIGHT also be in it if the rog trailer is correct.

currently on PSN, JimmyMcWeaksauce there playing SSF4:AE and MvC3 at the moment
do have a youtube channel with some vids, www.youtube.com/user/Akaendra
don't expect to much I suppose XD

always up for a couple of matches in whatever :P

I've been looking at skullgirls as well, seems interesting to say the least, although only 5 characters are announced iirc?

God the latest SFxT teaser trailers were so confusing (mecha Zangief? 0_o). Also should add Arcana Hearts 3 to the list. My PSN is CaptainKishimoto (shocker). I play SSF4 AE and Will play Marvel again when UMVC3 comes out (MVC3 has such bad netcode).

Maybe we should get an IRC channel going? A few of us use Battle Capacity's channel for things like streams and general talk, but it's up to what everyone thinks.

PSN: Waasiq - I only really play Marvel as its the only game I'm almost okay at, but I do play BatCap (yay for more plugs) and Hisoutensoku on PC, so I guess those count somewhat!

Oh yeah if anyone wants the link to the Devastation stream this weekend, its right here: Main stream and secondary.

I think that in some of the SFxT trailers recently announced 1 of the 3 shown are actually just a troll by ono. in the first trailer dan's back is shown along with juri and c viper's hands, and in the second video mecha zangief makes an appearence along side deejay and someone else, but i think dan and mecha zangeif are just background characters put in there to throw people off. kinda like sean's basketball in the rolento trailer.

CaptainKishimoto said:
Also should add Arcana Hearts 3 to the list.
I only listed stuff that hasn't been released yet. I assume you play? I was too cheap to buy it (especially because the competitive scene showed no signs of really taking off), but it seems pretty interesting.

I play SSF4 AE and Will play Marvel again when UMVC3 comes out (MVC3 has such bad netcode).
I don't remember them saying anything about improving the netcode itself, just the "online experience" (so like, they're adding features and stuff). I could be wrong, though.

Eiganjo said:
I've been looking at skullgirls as well, seems interesting to say the least, although only 5 characters are announced iirc?
Yeah, the initial release is slated to just have 8 characters, but they plan to have a lot of DLC characters down the line (presumably not for 5 dollars a pop like Jill and Shuma were).

And I wouldn't mind an IRC channel, Xaqwais.

Ah my mistake, that's what I get for not reading. <_< I don't own it, but I've played it. I'm probably gonna buy it now because of the $10 promotion thing going on (spend $60, get $10 back in November).

Yeah, the initial release is slated to just have 8 characters, but they plan to have a lot of DLC characters down the line (presumably not for 5 dollars a pop like Jill and Shuma were).
Have the other three been announced?

Also, in an Arcana Hearts 3-related note, is it only sold over PSN?

Unless things have changed, Arcana Hearts 3 is only sold on PSN. I remember them announcing it and alot of people were mad (because the PS3 is region-free and the 360 isn't).

yeah KOF looks really interesting. Probably won't have the money to spend on it, but I'd really like to see it pick up some steam. It's going to be tough for games to stay out of Capcom's shadow though, especially with SFxT coming out.

Phoenix looks awesome haha. Really like how they are making Maya part of this arsenal, but I kinda wish they had done it like Captain Commando and given him a bunch of different characters (Ema, Pearl). Still this was everything I was expecting and more! Edgeworth costume pack please?

Nova looks really effective, but not flashy. Can't wait to see what people do with him!

Also should add Arcana Hearts 3 to the list.
I only listed stuff that hasn't been released yet. I assume you play? I was too cheap to buy it (especially because the competitive scene showed no signs of really taking off), but it seems pretty interesting.
Can I assume from this that some of you play Arc System Works games? I have recently been playing a lot of BlazBlue.

Skullgirls is looking pretty exciting. I was impressed with the recent rundown of Parasoul's gameplay and pleased with most of the changes they have made. As some of you may know, the project lead is Mike Zaimont, aka MikeZ, a well-known tournament player of Guilty Gear and BlazBlue. His experience with those games really shows both in the game mechanics and in the competitive balance decisions.

One of the things I like best about GG and BB is the way individual characters play really differently from one-another. They do this by having four basic inputs: weak, medium, strong, and "drive" (or "dust" in GG). Moves involving the drive button engage a character-specific mechanic that can be anything from magnetically pulling the opponent to setting up a customizable grid of laser turrets to controlling a puppet with its own attacks and health. This makes BB and GG really diverse and fun, but it also creates a sort of barrier to entry, because the character-specific mechanics are often complicated to learn, especially when laid on a framework of links, cancels, etc. on par with SF or MvC.

What's great about Skullgirls is that they seem to have made each character play differently without making the player reinvent the wheel with each one they learn. So far, it looks like you can pick up Skullgirls and be out of the button mashing phase in just a couple of hours. I love the complexity of high-level BB, but I also like the idea of a similar game that I can actually teach my friends to play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)