SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^The easiest explanation is that the writers don't give a damn about continuity. I mean, the Anime has shown hundreds of sunsets and "then it was the next day" cuts, yet Ash was still claimed to be ten years old as late as late BW. Even though they have literally shown more days passing than there are in a year, and he turned ten in the very first episode.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The Anime occasionally (almost all the time) forgets that the Elite 4 exists, too.
Not really forget but rather needs to shove them in somewhere if they want to show them. Since Ash never get passes the League Tournament he doesn't have the opportunity to battle the Elite Four. That said Sinnoh is notable in that regard as Ash & co. did meet all members of the Sinnoh Elite Four. Ash also (eventually) met all members of the Kanto Elite Four. Though you're right that for the most part they don't bother with the Elite Four which is a shame as I do feel even in the games they get less emphasis (being absent from the Pokemon World Tournament the most notable, had they been their the Dark-type Tournament would at least have some notable characters in it). It also can't be that hard to write an episode where they appear, they have so much useless filler sometimes it wouldn't have hurt to shove one of the Elite Four in their just to have them on the show.

So watching the Genesect vs. Mewtwo movie. It's official that Mewtwo is unique. Unlike some other legendaries, Mewtwo is unique. The only Mewtwo in existence.

And yet he still doesn't recognize Satoshi, the one kid that was supposed to have thought him to respect and love Pokemon. I'm rustled.

I mean I understand Satoshi not recognizing Mewtwo since Mewtwo erased their memory in the first movie but why doesn't Mewtwo recognize Satoshi? Technically this is the 3rd time they meet. Or at least 2nd if we don't count the Mewtwo returns movie.
No, it's a different Mewtwo. Ash recognized it was a Mewtwo (remember, he did meet the original Mewtwo again in the Mewtwo Returns special) and the only way for him to have known that was meeting with the previous Mewtwo. He never mentions the original Mewtwo though you can BS that since this is a different Mewtwo there's no need.

No, it's a different Mewtwo. Ash recognized it was a Mewtwo (remember, he did meet the original Mewtwo again in the Mewtwo Returns special) and the only way for him to have known that was meeting with the previous Mewtwo. He never mentions the original Mewtwo though you can BS that since this is a different Mewtwo there's no need.
Who made another Mewtwo? Isn't the dude unique? How come a clone of Mew made in two different labs ended up looking exactly the same?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Who made another Mewtwo? Isn't the dude unique? How come a clone of Mew made in two different labs ended up looking exactly the same?
Maybe it's just a natural mutation of a Mew. Mew were made to evolve into different species of Pokemon, but I have to imagine for that to happen there has to be environmental triggers. But what if a Mew's "evolution" activates when there is no environmental triggers? It could be it becomes a Mewtwo, the "evolution" of the Mew species.

Here's another thought, who says they got Mew's DNA, what if they got some of Mewtwo's DNA?

Or we could go with the lazy (and most likely) reason: Why and how is there a second Mewtwo? Because the writer wanted there to be a Mewtwo but didn't want to have the baggage from the original Mewtwo.

Mirage master showed us that there are records of how to make your own Mewtwo, so yep it can be done by anyone with enough money and good hacking skills to get the "blue prints".

Last edited:
Maybe it's just a natural mutation of a Mew. Mew were made to evolve into different species of Pokemon, but I have to imagine for that to happen there has to be environmental triggers. But what if a Mew's "evolution" activates when there is no environmental triggers? It could be it becomes a Mewtwo, the "evolution" of the Mew species.

Here's another thought, who says they got Mew's DNA, what if they got some of Mewtwo's DNA?

Or we could go with the lazy (and most likely) reason: Why and how is there a second Mewtwo? Because the writer wanted there to be a Mewtwo but didn't want to have the baggage from the original Mewtwo.
Heh, I guess that makes sense. Were we ever shown the Mewtwo near Cerulean or are you just speculating based on the games? I only watched a little of Black and White but am currently enjoying all of XY.

Heh, I guess that makes sense. Were we ever shown the Mewtwo near Cerulean or are you just speculating based on the games? I only watched a little of Black and White but am currently enjoying all of XY.
There is a Mewtwo that Red encounters in the Pokemon Origins at Cerulean Cave. The Cave as a landmark hasn't been mentioned in Ash's world before, from what I remember, so it's safe to assume that the Mewtwo from The First Movie is supposed to be the equivalent to the Cerulean Cave Mewtwo.

They just released this
So XY & Z is going to do with Zygarde what they did with Meloetta, and spend an arc featuring Zygarde's backstory and forme-changing. On top of that, Mega Evo act 4 seems to be both a continuation of the Mega specials and the anime? It looks like they're going to at least confirm that the Mega specials are part of the regular anime timeline, if they don't introduce Ash n friends to that series.

Well of course they're part of the regular series, Alan and Ash will meet. This isn't some alternate universe thing like Pokemon Origins, they're specials for the main anime like all the other specials in the past. I thought that was rather obvious?

Mega Evolution Act 4 is the last of those specials, and Alan will appear in the regular XY anime after. Probably hang around for the Team Flare arc or so and then leave. They still have to have the anime get back on track with Ash getting his 8th badge and finish Serena's quest, so this probably will be a 10-15 ep arc at the most before they go back to the badge quest.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Well of course they're part of the regular series, Alan and Ash will meet. This isn't some alternate universe thing like Pokemon Origins, they're specials for the main anime like all the other specials in the past. I thought that was rather obvious?

Mega Evolution Act 4 is the last of those specials, and Alan will appear in the regular XY anime after. Probably hang around for the Team Flare arc or so and then leave. They still have to have the anime get back on track with Ash getting his 8th badge and finish Serena's quest, so this probably will be a 10-15 ep arc at the most before they go back to the badge quest.
When did they say that Act 4 will be the final?

Pretty sure it was confirmed to be a 4-part thing. That's why Alan is appearing in the regular anime after, because his specials are done and they're likely giving the character a last hurrah by involving him in the Team Flare arc and letting him meet Ash. After that his character will probably fade away into oblivion like all the other past important characters of the show who are generally forgotten about as the anime progresses.

A lot of people are hoping Ash gets Mega Charizard Y and he has a huge battle with Alan's Charizard X...although there's no indication that will happen. I think the writers would have spoiled Ash getting Mega Charizard Y to hype it up for promotion if it were to happen but it doesn't seem likely.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I think the writers would have spoiled Ash getting Mega Charizard Y to hype it up for promotion if it were to happen but it doesn't seem likely.
Ash has a sense of fair play, so even if he got a Mega Pokemon he probably wouldn't use it unless against another opponent's Mega Pokemon or at least an opponent's strongest Pokemon if it comes down to it. Stupid? Yes, but this is Ash so that's not unfamiliar territory, actually it's VERY familiar territory for him. Though they could maybe explain it by having Ash's battle with Alain make him conclude Mega Vs. Mega is how using a Mega Pokemon should be done since they're so powerful and with great power comes an overused quote that's actually misquoted but since retcon to be that quote.

Hm, so Ash is getting Y-Zard apparently, huh.

I'd like a moment like this, involving Ash's Zard and Alan's Zard X mega stone.

"I said my Mega Stone was a tool of fair play. Not used for anger. Not used for vengeance. But now I'm not so sure anymore. And besides, this isn't my Mega Stone."

Still, Bonnie with a Zygarde Core. It's probably gonna defend her and show its power sometime. And it looks adorable.

Cresselia~~

Pretty sure it was confirmed to be a 4-part thing. That's why Alan is appearing in the regular anime after, because his specials are done and they're likely giving the character a last hurrah by involving him in the Team Flare arc and letting him meet Ash. After that his character will probably fade away into oblivion like all the other past important characters of the show who are generally forgotten about as the anime progresses.

A lot of people are hoping Ash gets Mega Charizard Y and he has a huge battle with Alan's Charizard X...although there's no indication that will happen. I think the writers would have spoiled Ash getting Mega Charizard Y to hype it up for promotion if it were to happen but it doesn't seem likely.
I'm asking you for a (reliable) source.

Well I dunno then, that's just what I thought was said.

I'm glad Serena is finally capturing her third pokemon, which is hard to believe since we're over 90 episodes into XY now. I don't know why Serena's development in the series is so much slower than all the past main girls, since 90 episodes into each series all the previous girls were already competent battlers with at least 4 pokemon and had already won tons of battles. Serena has pretty much lost every non-Team Rocket battle she has ever been in, and she looks like she's going to lose the tag battle match with Ash/Tierno too.

I guess the writers want Serena to be a waifu for Ash rather than an actual battler. She actually reminds me of the type of female characters you see in other anime who mainly exist to be a love interest for the male lead but not do much else besides that. Practically her entire character is written around her crush on Ash, and her goal is largely just idol fanservice.

I guess the writers thought after everyone disliked Iris that they had to make the next girl loyal to Ash and make her as pretty as possible, but its not enough like with past leads.

Cresselia~~

Can't believe Nini is actually a recurring character.
But we didn't see Smoochum in the preview... did it evolve? x___x

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I just want say that they really upped their game when it comes to the battles for XY. The camera zooms around the battlefield, following attacks and Pokemon flying towards each other. The attacks clearly had a lot more thought put into how they work, like Froakie's cut being an actual knife it manifests or Weepinbell's Slam not just being a clone of Tackle, but actually swinging on a vine, grabbing the opponent and throwing them into the ground. It makes the battles much more fun and rewatchable, even if the actual strategies aren't anything we haven't seen before.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Sanpei and Mr make it rain plus hitmontop Tierno, then comes I'm going to get mega Salamence sawyer.
Oh yeah, forgot about Tierno. I was talking about Sawyer with the "one, maybe?" comment. I don't think Senpei is a rival since he's not collecting Badges. Who's "Mr. make it rain"?

Still, Serena now has 3 rivals: Shauna, Miette, and now Nini. Maybe also Aria though she seems like the "Champion" to Pokemon Showcases?

"Mr make it rain" is the guy with Raichu politoed blastoise and ludicolo on the same team XD yep forgot to format it but I was talking about Tierno meta team.

Cresselia~~

I actually like all of Tierno's pokemon.
It's like how he gets all the cool ones, but not Ash.
But I don't like Tierno that much. If he dances so much, why is he so fat?

Reactions: JES

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)