SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

This episode was awesome. Ash's hands-on training paid off and I was really surprised at the fact Rockruff wasn't Kukui's Pokémon, since it's the Pokémon we see with him when the game starts.

I think it's quite obvious it's going to evolve, and I really believe it'll be Midday form, but I hope I'm wrong. It'd be nice to give Ash some darker Pokémon to match with Decidueye (supposing he evolves it).

I am also quite sure Ash will catch that stray Litten, so I'm intrigued to see the rest of his team's formation. Potentially, Pikachu, Lycanroc, Incineroar and Decidueye form a nice core.

Ash generally gets the bird Pokémon, so we could add Toucannon to the list. What do you guys think?

I personally think that Midday is the more likely of the two forms, mainly because it would fit well with Ash's speed-based battle style. Midnight seems to be more based about taking hits and retaliating, which doesn't suit Ash too much. Just look what happened with Torterra, Boldore and Goodra.

Also, only Midday has access to Accelerock, and that could be a neat move for a potential Lycanroc to use.

I personally think that Midday is the more likely of the two forms, mainly because it would fit well with Ash's speed-based battle style. Midnight seems to be more based about taking hits and retaliating, which doesn't suit Ash too much. Just look what happened with Torterra, Boldore and Goodra.

Also, only Midday has access to Accelerock, and that could be a neat move for a potential Lycanroc to use.
Not only that, but in Sun & Moon—the games—Kukui's Rockruff actually evolves into its Midday form so that's probably what will happen in the anime as well as a nod to the games.

Also, we're 15 episodes in and Ash still hasn't caught the regional bird. What's up with that?

Aw man, that trailer looks great and kinda makes me wish Sun & Moon had that animation style, but I digress :T

So, from what I've gathered it really is a 'reboot' of the 1st season/episode? Is that correct? I'm cool with it, specially if they put more emphasis on Ho-Oh since it really deserves to get its own movie.

Sun and Moon is just so fun to watch. The animators must have tons of fun animating all the faces

For what it's worth, that's the official channel so it'll stay up.
Those face expressions all had me literally in tears haha, it was just so unexpected that I couldn't help it. I legit went back a few seconds just so I could see it again. Jokes aside though, it was really cool to finally see all three starters together like that, and Litten's "Big Damn Heroes" moment was also the coolest thing ever and for a moment there I REALLY thought it was going to join Team Rocket.

That poor Stoutland tho... man, I have a really soft spot for dogs and seeing it like that makes me so damn sad. How nobody is petting him and asking him "WHO'S A GOOD BOY!!?", I'll never know :/

I loved this episode. Also, I was taking a look at some pictures.

What if that Stoutland was Lillie's Lillipup? We don't know how long it takes for a Pokémon to get old. Maybe that's the old mansion of Lillie and Lusamine, and maybe that dog is not that old, maybe it's just a sad dog because it was "abandoned".

Could that Stoutland be a buildup to Lillie's character development of being able to interact with Pokémon without recoiling? Yes, I know there's the Vulpix, but I mean other people's or wild Pokémon.

Anyway, it's nice to know that Ho-Oh is getting its own movie, even if it's a re-telling of the Kanto arc. Marshadow for 2018, maybe?

Also, I really enjoy that Ash's classmates don't follow him everywhere, since they have their own things to do as well, unlike his previous companions. That explains why they don't appear in every single episode.

~snip~

Also, I really enjoy that Ash's classmates don't follow him everywhere, since they have their own things to do as well, unlike his previous companions. That explains why they don't appear in every single episode.
That is a really cool thing, isn't it? Ash isn't the center of the universe for once and people actually got stuff to do other than follow him around just because. On the other hand, Ash did kinda get more Gary Stu-y this season IMO, but oh well... I'll take what I can get.

That is a really cool thing, isn't it? Ash isn't the center of the universe for once and people actually got stuff to do other than follow him around just because. On the other hand, Ash did kinda get more Gary Stu-y this season IMO, but oh well... I'll take what I can get.
How is he Gary Stu-ish in Sun&Moon? His only strong Pokemon right now (and why he hasn't lost) is Pikachu and due to the strong bond/six regions prior, Pikachu should be pretty strong. They seem to be depowering Ash by having him use other Pokemon in battles, not to mention Team Rocket got a legit win over him.

Characters are also not afraid to call him out on stuff. Kukui isn't afraid to tell Ash when he does something wrong and Kiawe is holding Ash responsible for his Z-ring (and looks extremely pissed off in the latest preview) and Litten doesn't take Ash's crap either - and as you've pointed out, other characters don't revolve around Ash. They might enjoy his company, but they have their own stuff going on .

He was more of a Gary-Stu in XY last season, when practically nobody challenged him and everyone looked up to him. The Greninja depression arc is the only thing keeping XY Ash from being a Gary Stu.

Note, being strong =/= Gary-Stu/Mary-Sue. Saitama from OPM is strong af, but he's got his inner demons and people practically hate him that he's not a Gary-Stu in the slightest.

I don't know why you guys bother watching and discussing about the Sun and Moon anime, to be frank. You all know that none of it is going to matter in the end, right? Everyone but Ash, Pikachu and Team Rocket are only going to get written out, making their entire appearance filler. I have no reason to invest in them whatsoever.

I don't know why you guys bother watching and discussing about the Sun and Moon anime, to be frank. You all know that none of it is going to matter in the end, right? Everyone but Ash, Pikachu and Team Rocket are only going to get written out, making their entire appearance filler. I have no reason to invest in them whatsoever.
Same reason why I have watched all PreCure it's a fun time waster.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
We watch the anime really not for Ash but to see the Pokemon World brought to life. We want to see more of the world and characters that were in the games and the anime gives us this opportunity while adding in its own twist (for better or worst). Honestly its why I get upset when the show decides to do something like exclude game characters or really go off the rail and starts doing something that feels distant, I'm watching the anime to see a reflection of the games not something I can see done better in another anime.

As for Ash, well it's not I don't like Ash but I wish they kept his character development from his previous experiences. We've been following Ash for nearly 20 years now, we've been with him through many ups and down and I do eventually want to see his story end and do so in a satisfying way built on the hard work he had done. I think Ash has done more than most people in the Pokemon world has done in their entire lifetime and he's still a vampire sustaining himself on his virgin companions kid going to new regions as they pop up (and saving the world every year or so).

Also, Sun & Moon, despite our initial concerns, has proven to be an enjoyable experience. It's right not a slow burn and build up, but with Ash taking his first step on doing the Island Challenge and hints of the games plot (Team Skull running around, Lillie's family mentioned) next season is probably when things will be picking up as Ash probably moves from Melemele Island to Akala Island.

Why do you bother watching any cartoon or series? They are not real and won't affect your life whatsoever.

I watch Pokémon for the reasons mentioned above, and Sun and Moon is turning out to be my favorite generation in all kinds of media.

muh animation quality

But yeah, it wouldn't be a problem for the characters to not show up much/at all later on if their character arcs are concluded in a satisfying way. However, pretty much all of the major characters don't really get a proper sendoff, mostly just some vague hint of them going to another region to get better (May getting to show how much she's improved in DP was pretty amazing though).

Second on that, it's the effect that long running shows love to let their gullible audience believe that Ash will -definitely- become champion this time, except it never happens.

Also, the Orange Island arc is the one where I'd say it was the high point of the anime, bringing the Pokémon World to life, having compelling Pokémon interactions and trainers, letting Ash actually win a league and giving the one side character introduced (Tracey) a proper ending. Ironically, by just straight-up doing their own thing, they did a better job at showing what the Pokémon is like than they did with trying to follow the canon plot.

I'm sorry, Pokémon Sun/Moon Anime, but the actual games still blow you out of the water with their writing quality.

Pretty much liked every character in this episode... besides Mallow who usually seems caring but doesn't seem to do anything interesting. Apparently she gets an episode finally.
I want her character to get explored.

Mallow will get an episode, and that's awesome. Also, Rotomdex was expanded with a video recording function, something that we don't have in-game, and that's neat. Also, an episode without Team Rocket (although they come back next one) and that was nice as well. It's good not to have them forced into every episode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)