General Republican Party/Primary Discussion

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
As someone who actually lived in Massachusetts when Romney was a governor, I had to laugh at that clip symphonyx64. Mostly because he sounded like he was trying to convince himself
That was the point of the clip jrrrrr, I laugh every time I see it. Ironically, that severe comment was not in his prepared remarks lmao. He stuck that in himself.

If Romney loses to Santorum in his home state of Michigan, it would be an outright embarrasment for Romney and seriously jeopardize his campaign. Moreover, the lead is a pretty significant +15 for Santorum in that state. What's more appalling is that Michigan's primary is open, meaning that democrats are able to vote in the primary in addition to republicans. Oddly enough, Santorum's lead with democrats is more pronounced than that of republicans in Michigan. Thus, it looks likely that he is winning over some so-called "Reagan democrats" Overall, Santorum is also leading nationally in the republican polls with a +15 lead. If Gingrich drops out, his supporters would consolidate behind Santorum and probably increase that lead to around +22. Even in Tennessee, which is near Gingrich's home state of Georgia, Santorum has a lead there. This does not bode well for Gingrich who is relying on the Southern states for support. I predict that Gingrich will drop out by Super Tuesday if he does not garner any meaningful wins in those states.Santorum's campaign is being flooded with endorsements; in fact, he has raised $3 million in just three days. He also has several Super PACs in his favor, which are also being funded well. However, Gingrich's funds are drying up and he is racking up huge debt. Santorum gathers the most Tea Party, conservative and evangelical votes over Romney.Meanwhile, independents are flocking away from Romney. The more they know him, the less they like him. Romney's unfavorability ratings are at an all-time high. His negative attack machine is not really effective against Santorum, since he has less baggage than Gingrich. Romney is not doing good in California either; him and Santorum are at a virtual tie there. California holds 172 delegates. I wouldn't rule out Romney losing Massachusetts as well; but he currently holds a +45 point lead there. RE: Deck Knight: I like your insightful posts. Seeing that you reside in Massachusetts, I would like to ask you: are the residents up there really enthused with Romney, especially given his fairly progressive record as governor there from 2004-2008? I know that state is typically liberal; but Romney seems to inflate his "conservative" record. What are the chances (%) you give Romney of winning Massachusetts now?

Oddly enough, Santorum's lead with democrats is more pronounced than that of republicans in Michigan. Thus, it looks likely that he is winning over some so-called "Reagan democrats"
Or democrats know that Obama can whip Santorum because he has zero appeal to moderates so they're voting him hoping to make him the nominee.

Interesting find:
"Santorum's net favorability is 21 points better than Romney's. Santorum's at -7 (39/46), while Romney is at -28 (29/57). That's mostly because Republicans like Santorum a lot better (+40 at 62/22 to Romney's +2 at 43/41). But Santorum also does a good deal better with independents, coming in at -6 (40/46) to Romney's -23 (32/55). In the head to heads Obama leads Romney by 9 with independents, but has only a 4 point advantage on Santorum with that group."http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/02/romneys-electability-argument-weakening.html#more

I love how all the candidates (aka romney and Gingrich) just go to war with each other but as soon as one of. Them wins The other will be super supportive. Santorum is just crazy and I could swear Ron Paul is a hired comedian

I love how all the candidates (aka romney and Gingrich) just go to war with each other but as soon as one of. Them wins The other will be super supportive. Santorum is just crazy and I could swear Ron Paul is a hired comedian
I have actually no clue what you're talking about. Are you talking about after someone drops out, they then support someone? And Ron Paul is the man, even though I agree with only 50% of the things he says and the other 50% is craziness.

I have actually no clue what you're talking about. Are you talking about after someone drops out, they then support someone? And Ron Paul is the man, even though I agree with only 50% of the things he says and the other 50% is craziness.
No, when it's just Obama vs the other dude

Yeah I always found it really bizarre that people would have no qualms with dishing out the rudest insults and the most demeaning rhetoric against each other, but at the end of the debate they would smile at each other and shake hands as if they were best friends (and often they are). It really baffles me that people are just that incapable of being genuine in front of the millions of people that they're supposed to lead and represent.

Yeah I always found it really bizarre that people would have no qualms with dishing out the rudest insults and the most demeaning rhetoric against each other, but at the end of the debate they would smile at each other and shake hands as if they were best friends (and often they are). It really baffles me that people are just that incapable of being genuine in front of the millions of people that they're supposed to lead and represent.
Politicians are fantastic actors.

Wow. Contrary to popular belief that Arizona is a lock for Romney to win primary-wise, he may be in serious trouble over there in addition to Michigan. In just two-and-a-half weeks, Santorum is surging hard, increasing his lead by over 300%, from 10% to now 31%. Romney is struggling to hold onto the lead with 38%. http://americanresearchgroup.com/

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I should make a website compiling polls from across the web. Put some google advertisements on it and make bank off of sensationalists who think poll results mean more than the paper they're printed on. No one should put any stock in these polls..

Polls done by telephone of 600 'likely voters' mean very little. Also 10% to 30% is a 200% increase. These words sound really pretty, but it's basically just masturbatory for the lack of meaningful insight that these polls produce.

'Santorum is gaining more attention, so lets make a poll about it, and then call attention to Santorum's performance in a poll, then he'll get more attention, rinse and repeat for maximum redundancy!!!!!!!!!!!111!'

i honestly don't see this as a problem, it seems to me like you'd want your potential presidential candidate to have a sense of respect and diplomacy for even his fiercest adversaries -- would you rather romney ended debates with a hearty "aye feck off newt you globe-shaped nutball"? candidates are capable of accepting each other as people, they can still be incredibly competitive and acerbic in their fight to uphold their dignity and elbow their opponent off the opposite podium. their in-genuine-ness is actually a vestige of bipartisanship -- and if it's just completely fake that's at least better than unabashed rudeness off and on the debate stage due to conflicting policies

I'm not sure what you're trying to say there. I think that politicians are rude to each other and demonize each other when they wouldn't outside of a political debate. I'm not sure how that would ever translate to a desire for them to be rude all the time. I also don't think that what they're doing is healthy competition because they just have to be not-hated in the current system, so they'll sling out the negativity until they're the least hated. The system should compel candidates to be likable.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Santorum is surging hard
it's basically just masturbatory
A top adviser to President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign says Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum has taken “divisive positions’’ on key social issues.
source
For some reason this article really made me lol. Its like "Yeah... well... um... HE TAKES DIVISIVE POSITIONS!" Like no politician ever takes divisive positions.

The adviser might mean that Santorum has taken positions that might alienate large numbers of people, including among Republicans, which is true. Or maybe he's just calling Santorum a jackass for his positions, in a PC manner. This does "obviously" happen for most politicians, but this is what I mean when I talk about merely being not hated.

I should make a website compiling polls from across the web. Put some google advertisements on it and make bank off of sensationalists who think poll results mean more than the paper they're printed on. No one should put any stock in these polls..

Polls done by telephone of 600 'likely voters' mean very little. Also 10% to 30% is a 200% increase. These words sound really pretty, but it's basically just masturbatory for the lack of meaningful insight that these polls produce.

'Santorum is gaining more attention, so lets make a poll about it, and then call attention to Santorum's performance in a poll, then he'll get more attention, rinse and repeat for maximum redundancy!!!!!!!!!!!111!'
I apologize if it sounded as if I was treating that poll as 100% viable or conclusive, which is why I inserted "may be in trouble" in my post above. That one poll could be credible though, since Santorum is in a virtual tie with Romney in another California poll. Coupled with the fact that Santorum is being competitive with Romney in ultra-liberal California and Arizona is solidly republican in comparison, it would be feasible to say that Santorum could be more appealing to voters in Arizona. You're correct that Santorum actually increased by 200% according to that poll; I should've phrased it by saying, "Santorum's poll numbers are 300% of what they were 2 weeks ago."

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
California is not as liberal as you may think. There's Silicon Valley and LA, but it's a big state -- remember, this is the state that passed Proposition 8.

Hello again.
Many thins have changed since we last congregated. Rick Santorum seems to be doing well, barely losing Michigan to Mitt Romney. Last night was huge for Mitt Romney, as he managed to take home 2 states. This race is far from over, as I believe Mitt Romney still needs to get around 1000 delegates under his belt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)