1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Generation Regression

Discussion in 'Other Metagames' started by Heroes and Cons, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heroes and Cons

Heroes and Cons

Waiting on approval; PMed two Mods so far, several days ago, and no replies so hoping I can get approval this way? I don't really know how it works...

I've always wondered what the metagame would be like if many of the RBY battle mechanics had not been removed. Would powerful high-crit-rate moves like Leaf Blade, Stone Edge and Cross Chop be overpowered? Would the lack of any weather mechanics make pokemon such as Tornadus too weak? Would hyper-Beam and its equivalent moves be too powerful?

Well, I wanted to see what the current metagame would be like if RBY mechanics and styles were introduced, so I have come up with this:

Generation Regression:

Special stats are combined into an RBY counterpart.
    - These stats would be chosen by me (and RBY veterans who are willing to help), based on what would make sense in regards to RBY styles, pre-evolutions and RBY base stat totals.
    - - All moves that lower Special Attack or Special Defense would instead lower Special by that number of levels; this includes Amnesia, Calm Mind, Tail Glow (yikes) and Growth.
    All moves (including Hidden Power based on typing) would be physical or special.
    - Depending on what that typing was in RBY-to-RSE. For example, Focus Blast would be physical because it is Fighting.
    - Hidden Power would retain its GSC/RSE mechanics.
    RBY's Critical hit rate mechanics return.
    - Moves such as shadow claw, psycho cut, slash, night slash, leaf blade, cross chop, stone edge, etc. will have an 8x crit rate instead of a 2x crit rate... I fully expect some of these moves to be banned.

- Crits will ignore attack boosts and drops.
    RBY Stat Mechanics return.
    - No EVs to change - i.e. all EVs are automatically set to 252 and cannot be changed.
    - IVs, however, can be changed so Hidden Power can be used effectively.
    Weather is disabled.
    - Sand Stream, Drought, Drizzle and Snow Warning are disabled; Sunny Day, Sandstorm, Hail and Rain Dance are removed.
    RBY Hyper Beam and Explosion mechanics return.
    - Yep, a KO with Hyper Beam negates any need to recharge.
    - This also applies to Giga Impact, Rock Wrecker (Shell Smash Crustle anyone?), Hydro Cannon, Blast Burn, Frenzy Plant, and Roar of Time (lol good thing Dialga is banned).
    - Explosion and Self-Destruct will now halve defense before dealing damage, as they always did before Gen V.
    Items are banned.
    - No Choice Items, Leftovers, Life Orb, Expert Belt, Eviolite, Lum Berry or Chesto Berry; which Pokemon miss their life orb? Which will be glad opponent's lum berries are gone? Will Rest be as viable as it was in RBY?
    - Acrobatics is now always 110-power, basically making it a non-recoil Brave Bird given its power. Beware it.

I am not sure if all Abilites should be banned or not; as such, we could test and see if Pokemon with abilities like Moxie, Sheer Force, Wonder Guard (i.e. shedinja), Pure / Huge Power, Multiscale and Magic Guard are too strong for this metagame, or if a blanket ban on abilities would be more balanced. We'll find out soon, no?

Other RBY mechanics, such as permanent freeze, old sleep mechanics, OHKO moves' reliance on speed (although they are banned anyway), accuracy chances, and type effectiveness differences, will NOT return. Furthermore, Team Preview is still active. Leech Seed and Toxic retain their Gen V mechanics, making them much more effective.

2. SpartanMalice

SpartanMalice

Nollan has something like this on his server called RBYMons, almost the same really. And you need to get approval before you post the thread, I think you were the user Arctic told me about lol. I requested a meta similar to this, but only with the Special stats mixed, with modern day mechanics.
  3. Pikachuun

Pikachuun

Isn't Hyper Beam physical in this metagame? Anyways, this seems like an interesting idea, allowing some Pokemon (Looking at you Excadrill) to fall from Ubers to OU again, and some Pokemon (*cough* Politoed *cough*) to go back to a lower tier.
  4. The Eevee General

The Eevee General The Adventures of Eevee, Queen of the Desert
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

So wait, Night Slash, Leaf Blade, and Psycho Cut come off its base 125 Attack. But aren't they Special?

But it looks interesting. Tauros is gonna be happy.
  5. PokemonMasterDebater

PokemonMasterDebater

I was just about to suggest this same idea. Looking forward to playing this.
    I think the old status mechanics should be restored. If we are going to restore the Hyper Beam and Explosion glitches, then we should restore all of the old mechanics should be restored for full authenticity, (save possibly the accuracy chances and unending freeze).

For that same reason, I would suggest we remove all abilities, even the things like Wonder Guard and Truant.

What about moves like Psyshock and Foul Play? Will they still work like they do in standard, or will they be changed into normal moves?

Is there a list we can view of all Pokemon with their Special stat? (and perhaps their critical hit rates as well)

Also, Mods please allow this.
  6. Nollan

Nollan EV Master Nollan
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

I would just like to add in something Arcticblast mentioned to me when I was requesting permission to post a metagame very similar to this one: "There are several people trying to merge RBY and BW and I'm trying to figure out one to "officially" set up right now. There was a thread in Orange Islands a long time ago that I'd defer to since it got a lot of discussion (which was basically RBY plus the new Pokemon - the lower stat became the Special stat unless the Pokemon's highest stat was in Special). I'm not sure what to do though."

Given this, it would probably be wise to get the people who are making these together to make a universal and "official" version of this, so that it is more organized, and to save the OM moderators the trouble of having to pick. I have made of metagame such as this, and as Arcticblast mentioned, there is an old thread in the Orange Islands forum. Getting these groups together can probably accomplish a lot more than each individually.
  7. Leafshield

Leafshield

I'm going to agree with Nollan on this. His server has an established meta very similar to this, and it has worked out very well. Though, it had many different mechanics as yours, such as keeping the Hyper Beam, Critical Hit, and Explosion mechanics from the current generation, and making the Special stat the higher of the two between Special Attack and Special Defense. This is why I would like to see participation from all of the users who had the same idea for this metgame. Of course, I'm not saying Nollan should be the ringleader or anything, but I think it would be interesting to see all of them collaborating to make this meta the best it could be.
  8. PokemonMasterDebater

PokemonMasterDebater

I also agree with Nolan. I hope that I may also be allowed to be a part of such a project, even though I never finished my proposition letter to Arcticblast and Joim.
  9. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Deer Lord
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Threads are not to be posted until approval is explicitly given.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)