Generation Showdown [Online Competition] Finished!

BloodRedZangoose: From our battle just now - Regarding your Conkeldurr set, it seems Ice Punch would do better over Helping Hand. Have you had much mileage for it?

Still up and down about my team. Not sure if I still want to run Overheat on my 9IV-SpA Groudon, but it does act as a nice panic nuke during Intimidates (Still has a 75% chance to OHKO Landorus-Therian!). Dabbled a bit with a Dual Screen Swagkeys, and even though I lost that one time it did ridiculous things. The high amount of power in the format means Swagger can cause you to 2hKO yourself quite easily.

Oh cool haha. Well I had thought there would be a fair amount of Earthquake flying around, and since Dialga could survive most of them with max HP investment (and the spread damage penalty) it made sense to use it to grab a free boost. If I wanted to use Dialga in my 4 I would usually bring it with Ray, Kiss and Zapdos, that way I only had Ray as an Earthquake user and Zapdos could set Tailwind. I might have to try Trick Room though, since that seems to be a dominant playstyle at the moment.
I can't say I've seen any apart from myself, but then I haven't played a huge number of games. I have caught a fair few people out who suspect an attacking lead and double-protect, allowing me to freely set up and sweep them on the next turn. Which is always fun, especially when they double-protect to get Speed Boosts.

BloodRedZangoose: From our battle just now - Regarding your Conkeldurr set, it seems Ice Punch would do better over Helping Hand. Have you had much mileage for it?
I have, especially when he partners with Groudon. And making sure Dialga breaks through a Geomancied Xerneas has been useful. I do see how it would be a good defense against Flying types, and general coverage though. I might give it a shot.

It was XD I didn't know what else to give it with Leftovers taken by Conkeldurr, but when I saw yours I thought it was a pretty cool idea. I haven't seen much use from it though tbh. I'm guessing you use it specifically because it activates from your own team member's EQs then? Before I replaced Groudon's with Precipice Blades, that's what I was seeing too.

Pffbbtt (Lickilicky) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Tail
- Return

I replaced M-Altaria with him, and he's won every battle he's been in. I thought you might have been joking, but now I think you're a genius.

EDIT: Almost every battle.

cant say edit: don't double post
(oops, sorry, didn't realise!)
I run Protect and Sitrus berry because it has the bulk to life alot of powerful hits without the AV.
+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Lickilicky: 157-186 (72.3 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (doubles)
252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Lickilicky: 175-208 (80.6 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Lickilicky: 111-132 (51.1 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (doubles)
252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Lickilicky in Heavy Rain: 156-184 (71.8 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (doubles)

Protect has come through for me in some battles because people see that Lickilicky is wrecking their Ubers so they double attack it.

New Meta (Lickilicky) @ Sitrus Berry
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Gyro Ball
- Ice Punch
- Protect

I also had some success with:

Lickilicky @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Belch
- Ice Beam
- Muddy Water
- Protect

But it lacked the ability to use Belch a lot of the time so I changed to Physical.

I run Protect and Sitrus berry because it has the bulk to life alot of powerful hits without the AV.
+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Lickilicky: 157-186 (72.3 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (doubles)
252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Lickilicky: 175-208 (80.6 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Lickilicky: 111-132 (51.1 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (doubles)
252+ SpA Primal Kyogre Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Lickilicky in Heavy Rain: 156-184 (71.8 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (doubles)

Protect has come through for me in some battles because people see that Lickilicky is wrecking their Ubers so they double attack it.

New Meta (Lickilicky) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Gyro Ball
- Ice Punch
- Protect

I also had some success with:

Lickilicky @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Belch
- Ice Beam
- Muddy Water
- Protect

But it lacked the ability to use Belch a lot of the time so I changed to Physical.
Oh okay, that's pretty convincing. I shall give Protect a go. I haven't actually had any occasion to use Return yet, so I doubt I will miss it. And wow, that special set sounds like it would be hilarious if it worked (that visual), but I can see how having to wait until you've taken a hit or two to use your most powerful move would be very annoying.

EDIT, because I didn't see this until just now:
Still up and down about my team. Not sure if I still want to run Overheat on my 9IV-SpA Groudon, but it does act as a nice panic nuke during Intimidates (Still has a 75% chance to OHKO Landorus-Therian!). Dabbled a bit with a Dual Screen Swagkeys, and even though I lost that one time it did ridiculous things. The high amount of power in the format means Swagger can cause you to 2hKO yourself quite easily.
I really really hate Swagger. I feel like physical attackers are already so prejudiced against that confusion is just an unnecessary blight, even putting aside the arguably fair trade of the attack rise. Swagger and Dark Void are the only moves that instantly take all the fun out of a battle for me. Especially now that I've realised Dark Void is not blocked by Wide Guard. Imo, Smogon's Swagger and Sleep Clauses are a very good addition, and I wish Battlespot used them too.

I can't however blame people for using these moves on the grounds that plenty of people out there simply won't care and the best way to put yourself on a level playing field is to use them too... I however will definitely not be, so can anyone suggest reliable counters to these two moves? Bearing in mind that it is practically impossible to Taunt a Prankster Thundurus before he either Swaggers you or Paralyses you, making it even harder to stop next turn. I know Dark Void is predictable as only Smeargle can use it in this meta and he is unlikely to be on a team if he doesn't have it, but as they almost always run Sash, he has to be double focused by two faster Pokemon, or he accomplishes his mission anyway. This is an issue for me considering I have to take a turn to set up TR before I outspeed anything. :/

Last edited:
In order to prevent Dark Void, you will probably have to run through the following options:

1: Prevention. Prankster, or at least a faster Taunt/Safeguard. Probably the easiest option as there are plenty of Pokemon capable of doing this. Smeargle is not very fast! A Chlorophyll Sleep Powder can also do the job and give it a taste of its own medicine. (They're very unlikely to be using Berries or Goggles)
2: Magic Bounce. Iffier than the above since of the six available, one's a pre-evolution, two Magic Bouncers require Mega Evolution, and a third is not allowed in the competition. Interesting thing to note is, although the Magic Bounce Pokemon only protects itself, the reflected spell still hits both your Opponent's Pokemon.
3: Itemwise we have... Berries. Lum and Chesto make two anti-sleeps. Unfortunately, the Safety Googles do nothing.
4: Sleep Talk... Doubles is already strapped for moveslots as is, so...
5: Insomnia. Bring out that Mega Mewtwo-Y!

Naturally, some of these also work for Swagger, but it's a bit trickier as most Swagger-users have Prankster.
Of course, the fastest Prankster in the game, Whimsicott, is also capable of utilizing Safeguard. Do however beware of Fake-Out.

Last edited:
In order to prevent Dark Void, you will probably have to run through the following options:

1: Prevention. Prankster, or at least a faster Taunt/Safeguard. Probably the easiest option as there are plenty of Pokemon capable of doing this. Smeargle is not very fast! A Chlorophyll Sleep Powder can also do the job and give it a taste of its own medicine. (They're very unlikely to be using Berries or Goggles)
2: Magic Bounce. Iffier than the above since of the six available, one's a pre-evolution, two Magic Bouncers require Mega Evolution, and a third is not allowed in the competition. Interesting thing to note is, although the Magic Bounce Pokemon only protects itself, the reflected spell still hits both your Opponent's Pokemon.
3: Itemwise we have... Berries. Lum and Chesto make two anti-sleeps. Unfortunately, the Safety Googles do nothing.
4: Sleep Talk... Doubles is already strapped for moveslots as is, so...
5: Insomnia. Bring out that Mega Mewtwo-Y!

Naturally, some of these also work for Swagger, but it's a bit trickier as most Swagger-users have Prankster.
Of course, the fastest Prankster in the game, Whimsicott, is also capable of utilizing Safeguard. Do however beware of Fake-Out.
Dark Void isn't super common (on the PS ladder atleast) because Smeargle isn't to good without perfect support which of course can be shut down with little difficulty on most good teams. In my few battles I had with teams like that I just double protect the double attack the Smeargle which kills it.

True, but that strategy can get conked if the Smeargle goes for Tailwind turn 1, which only goes to show how unpredictable of a mon it can be.

Not saying its insurpassable or anything of course! I was just listing some quick-and-easy remedies to answer his query.

I have another noob question.

I'm going to be using a Slurpuff with substitute, play rough, belly drum, and wish. Sitrus berry and unburden. He's been freaking amazing for me, but setting up is sometimes a problem. I've been using mega-Kang for fake out first turn, which helps, but I feel like something else would help him set up. Amoonguss has been an ok partner but he usually dies pretty fast. Any ideas?

Does anyone here have a Brave Groudon and/or a Sassy/Relaxed Cresselia I could borrow for the competition? I'm in desperate need of those. PM me if you can help! Will pay;)
I have another noob question.

I'm going to be using a Slurpuff with substitute, play rough, belly drum, and wish. Sitrus berry and unburden. He's been freaking amazing for me, but setting up is sometimes a problem. I've been using mega-Kang for fake out first turn, which helps, but I feel like something else would help him set up. Amoonguss has been an ok partner but he usually dies pretty fast. Any ideas?
The best advice I could give you would be to not use it in the first place, to be honest. Any decent (or good) player know that the only thing Slurpuff can do is to use Belly drum, and in a metagame with so many strong pokemon, it shouldn't be difficult to deal 75% damage to it. I don't doubt that it's good once it set's up, but 1) Primal Groudon, one of the most common pokemon, walls it, 2) Priority is everywhere, 3) The turn you use to set up could may be too much of a price to pay in the past-paced doubles format. For comparison, Geomany Xerneas also spends 1 turn to set up, and is usually much better once it does. It is, however, still a usable pokemon even without setup, as opposed to Slurpuff. (I have a flawless Naive one if you want for free)

If you wanna use it for fun though (It must be hilarious when it works), I'd at least replace Wish with Protect to protect against fake out or obvious priority. And maybe Substitute with a coverage move, dependant on the support you give it and how it's played :)

Last edited:
Does anyone here have a Brave Groudon and/or a Sassy/Relaxed Cresselia I could borrow for the competition? I'm in desperate need of those. PM me if you can help! Will pay;)

The best advice I could give you would be to not use it in the first place, to be honest. Any decent (or good) player know that the only thing Slurpuff can do is to use Belly drum, and in a metagame with so many strong pokemon, it shouldn't be difficult to deal 75% damage to it. I don't doubt that it's good once it set's up, but 1) Primal Groudon, one of the most common pokemon, walls it, 2) Priority is everywhere, 3) The turn you use to set up could may be too much of a price to pay in the past-paced doubles format. For comparison, Geomany Xerneas also spends 1 turn to set up, and is usually much better once it does. It is, however, still a usable pokemon even without setup, as opposed to Slurpuff. (I have a flawless Naive one if you want for free)

If you wanna use it for fun though (It must be hilarious when it works), I'd at least replace Wish with Protect to protect against fake out or obvious priority. And maybe Substitute with a coverage move, dependant on the support you give it and how it's played :)
Thank you so much for the advice. Gonna get a power herb tonight and give geomancy Xerneas a shot.

Artic: I'm pretty sure I have a clone of my Sassy Cresselia I'd be happy to throw at you. I'm away from my DS at the moment but I'll check for you when I get home. ;)

Trying to figure out a plan for this competition myself. I'm thinking Ray and p-Groudon for my legendaries... Any ideas on pokemon to support those? I'm thinking about follow me togekiss maybe but haven't really looked into it.

I feel that Shadow Tag + Strong Weather would be pretty strong in this format since the only way for the opponent to reactivate their own weather would be Skill Swap/Role Play. Combined with Taunt and U- turn/Volt Switch, I don't think it should be to difficult to trap your opponent in unfavorable weather.

nectarprime The best coverage move for Slurpuff would be Drain Punch if you still want to use it for fun.

So I have managed to catch a Brave Groudon for my team with decent enough IVs, but in a sleep-deprived stupor of soft-resets, I have just managed to save instead of resetting after catching a terrible Bashful Dialga -___- Does anyone know of anywhere I can get a decent Quiet one? I've tried searching trade forums on both here and Serebii to no avail. I do coincidentally have a Quiet one from an old game, but its IVs are shocking and I don't want to have to resort to using it unless I absolutely have to :/

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
So I have managed to catch a Brave Groudon for my team with decent enough IVs, but in a sleep-deprived stupor of soft-resets, I have just managed to save instead of resetting after catching a terrible Bashful Dialga -___- Does anyone know of anywhere I can get a decent Quiet one? I've tried searching trade forums on both here and Serebii to no avail. I do coincidentally have a Quiet one from an old game, but its IVs are shocking and I don't want to have to resort to using it unless I absolutely have to :/
Is it Pressure or Telepathy?

Try the WiFi section here. They're an excellent bunch.

Urgh, I'm having such a bad time teambuilding for this.

Here's what I have so far, the problem being I cant get enough games on PS! to truly test it.

Ho-Oh @ Expert Belt
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Protect

To be used to counter Xerneas, as it's most common moves are resisted by Ho-oh and Iron Head hits it on it's weaker defense stat.

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

Still unsure on this, it's mainly to control the weather and has pretty bad 4MS syndrome :S

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Fake Out

Good ol' Kang. Standard set for now unless I feel it needs tweaks. 252 Spe is to ensure I outspeed timid/jolly Primals.

Klefki @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Protect

Screens can make a massive difference with the massive damage flying about from the Ubers and Play Rough is to hit Xerneas harder.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
- Role Play
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse
- Protect

This is my wild card. Role Play to help with weather control or to mimic Parental Bond

Venusaur @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

An annoyer and something to help with both Xerneas and Kyogre

Last edited:
Is it Pressure or Telepathy?
I'm looking for a Pressure one, but I would have no problem using a Telepathy one if that was easier for some reason.
Try the WiFi section here. They're an excellent bunch.
I did try, but I may have been going about it the wrong way. I'm used to Serebii's hyper-organised thread-per-Pokemon system, so I'm going to have another look and see if I can get my head around the Smogon system.

I'm currently testing this , paired with a standard adamant (roseli berry) Quaza :

Meowstic-M @ Focus Sash
Prankster
Timid Nature
EVs 248 HP, 8 Def, 252 Spe

~ Imprison
~ Protect
~ Trick Room
~ Gravity

Shuts down Gravity Cresselia and other trick room abusers. If I predict smething else that's not t-room or gravity, I bring in another support.

Here´s what I´ve been using so far, having mixed results:

Etwahl (Xerneas) @ Leftovers
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunder
- Moonblast
- Grass Knot
- Protect

While GeoXerneas seems to be the most popular choice I decided to go with a bulky Xerneas to secure the kill if Mega Quaza ES me, this EV spread allows me to survive to hits from things like Flash Cannon Dialga and Mega Ray DA. However I need a good partner on the field at the time to be able to knock out those mons.

Such Doge (Suicune) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 232 HP / 84 Def / 112 SpA / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Tailwind
- Snarl

Standart Suicune for VGC, mostly for speed control, I haven´t used him that much yet and Im debating over if I should use a Thundurus-I on his place or a Wide Guard user like Aegislash, but I decided not to go for Aegislash because is too slow and in case I needed speed control and Gengar isn´t available at that moment.

Taurus (Terrakion) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

My counter to Sableye/Klefki/ES Rayquaza and any other priority user. Quick Guard is so unexpected in Terrakion that is awesome, I usually Quick Guard with it and pick up the kill with my partner, Lum Berry is mostly in case I have to switch in on a status move or in case I get burned or something, it gives me one more turn.

Nyx (Gengar) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4HP
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Icy Wind
- Will-O-Wisp

Gengar is just too good to pass up on VGC, your oponent just doesn´t know what it will do until it does and I at least get an Icy Wind/Taunt/Will o Wisp off before it dies though most of the time it does a bit more than just that. Sludge Bomb over Shadow Ball to damage Xerneas/Togekiss that are so common.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Standart Kanga, just wanted a Mega that worked well and this one was the first to pop up, I also though about Mega Mence and Mega Metagross, but in the end sticked with Kangaskhan, mostly because of Parental Bond. Still debating if I should change Drain Punch to Low Kick.

Diamond (Dialga) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

I REALLY want a Telepathy one but I don´t have a single one of those on my last gen games so used Pressure to see how it goes. Dialga has been fairly good but I mostly prefer to have Tailwind up when Dialga hits the field.

Any opinions or sugestions about any teams members I should add or change some stuff are gladly accepted.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I'm currently testing this , paired with a standard adamant (roseli berry) Quaza :

Meowstic-M @ Focus Sash
Prankster
Timid Nature
EVs 248 HP, 8 Def, 252 Spe

~ Imprison
~ Protect
~ Trick Room
~ Gravity

Shuts down Gravity Cresselia and other trick room abusers. If I predict smething else that's not t-room or gravity, I bring in another support.
Might as well bring taunt, which doesn't use an entire team slot

Does anyone here have a Brave Groudon I can use for the competition? You can get it back afterwards. I will pay with several shinies, legends, or anything else.

Sorry for spamming this thread, but I'm desperate. I thought it would be easy to get one in time, but boy, I was wrong...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does anyone here have a Brave Groudon I can use for the competition? You can get it back afterwards. I will pay with several shinies, legends, or anything else.

Sorry for spamming this thread, but I'm desperate. I thought it would be easy to get one in time, but boy, I was wrong...
I don't really wanna help you since Trick Room Groudon is killing me, lol. Buckert has one but has hasn't been online all week (which is weird), PokeFanMan has an adamant one with 0 speed, lucariojr has a brave one as well (ctrl+f brave, it's the 10th result).

That took me like 5 minutes by searching 'brave groudon' in Wi-Fi...

I legit started using Macho Brace Ray on the ladder to try and stop the Groudon + Cres combo, which did good, but keeping Trick Room up against other teams was crazy hard so I dropped it...

Going to start battling tonight.

I dont have all my moves memorized, but I am going with this team for.

Volcarona (Leftovers)

Rotom-W

Keldeo (Life Orb)

Ferrothorn (Rocky Helmet)

Mawile (Mawilite)

Metagross (Assault Vest)

Reporting:

In my 1st battle, I got utterly destroyed by this shit:

Took my rayquaza and groundon by abusing its attacking power:
I taunted it, but it started attacking and wrecked the entire team.

Watch out for Mega Slowbro

Slowbro @ Slowbronite

~trick room
~grass knot
~psychic
~ ? (probably surf)

Its psychic 2hkoed my Groundon, dealing about 60~70% of damage.

I wasn't expecting it, seriously.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Going to start battling tonight.

I dont have all my moves memorized, but I am going with this team for.

Volcarona (Leftovers)

Rotom-W

Keldeo (Life Orb)

Ferrothorn (Rocky Helmet)

Mawile (Mawilite)

Metagross (Assault Vest)
Event legendaries are banned, so you can't use keldeo

Your team is also super weak to gravity+pgroudon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)