1. Post all suggestions for Pokemon Showdown in this thread. Do NOT post them in the Suggestion Box!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Generic "Moderator" Account

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by Pwnemon, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pwnemon

Pwnemon judges silently
    is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Doubles Co-Lead

I got the idea from my father, who was telling me that on a forum created for his work, the moderators are all given a password to a single account, to protect their anonymity. Now obviously, Smogon, being a humble congregation of mons players, would not need to protect its mods' identities at all time, but I still think this could be useful for when a mod has to do something unpopular (say, infractions), and doesn't want any personal backlash. The downside I could see to this proposal is that it wouldn't be as easy for someone to request a repeal, but it's not impossible, and the benefits outweigh the downsides imo. What do you guys think?
  2. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

so.........moderators shouldn't be held accountable for their actions?
  3. verbatim

verbatim Red like Roses
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderator

Realistically, upper staff can already use admin tools to do this.
  4. NixHex

NixHex No excuses
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

You'd be surprised how little backlash there is from unpopular decisions like giving infractions.

Anyway, appeals are pretty important; some mods infract people for stuff that other mods or senior staff don't see as threatening or infract worthy (I was guilty of this when I got my mods). Luckily, trigger happy decisions lile this can be reversed, which as you said, would be a pretty enormous pain under a general modding account. On the same token, mods who are clearly abusing the system can be demodded, while abuse coming from a general account would go unchecked. Like fate said, giving mod powers to the users themselves keeps them responsible for their actions. Also, if a mod is going to decline giving an infraction because "it's unpopular," they need to grow a spine as a leader because not every decision made is going to be popular, ever.
  5. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

everything has been pretty well covered i think

though i do wish i had an anonymous mod account so i don't get any 'backlash' from locking this thread
  6. Wild Eep

Wild Eep pet pet pet
    is a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

FATE WHY'D YOU LOCK THIS?????
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)