1. Post all suggestions for Pokemon Showdown in this thread. Do NOT post them in the Suggestion Box!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Generic "Moderator" Account

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by Stratos, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stratos

Stratos Banned deucer.

I got the idea from my father, who was telling me that on a forum created for his work, the moderators are all given a password to a single account, to protect their anonymity. Now obviously, Smogon, being a humble congregation of mons players, would not need to protect its mods' identities at all time, but I still think this could be useful for when a mod has to do something unpopular (say, infractions), and doesn't want any personal backlash. The downside I could see to this proposal is that it wouldn't be as easy for someone to request a repeal, but it's not impossible, and the benefits outweigh the downsides imo. What do you guys think?
  2. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

so.........moderators shouldn't be held accountable for their actions?
  3. verbatim

verbatim The costume fits Just a little too tight
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Forum Moderator

Realistically, upper staff can already use admin tools to do this.
  4. NixHex

NixHex TEN months seizure free!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

You'd be surprised how little backlash there is from unpopular decisions like giving infractions.

Anyway, appeals are pretty important; some mods infract people for stuff that other mods or senior staff don't see as threatening or infract worthy (I was guilty of this when I got my mods). Luckily, trigger happy decisions lile this can be reversed, which as you said, would be a pretty enormous pain under a general modding account. On the same token, mods who are clearly abusing the system can be demodded, while abuse coming from a general account would go unchecked. Like fate said, giving mod powers to the users themselves keeps them responsible for their actions. Also, if a mod is going to decline giving an infraction because "it's unpopular," they need to grow a spine as a leader because not every decision made is going to be popular, ever.
  5. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

everything has been pretty well covered i think

though i do wish i had an anonymous mod account so i don't get any 'backlash' from locking this thread
  6. Wild Eep

Wild Eep pet pet pet
    is a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

FATE WHY'D YOU LOCK THIS?????
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)