Gengar (SubSplit) [QC: 3/3] [GP: 2/2]

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
[QC Checks: aim, Valentine, Jukain]
[GP Checks: GatoDelFuego, NixHex]

SubSplit
########
name: SubSplit
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Pain Split
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Focus Blast
ability: Levitate
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
ivs: 29 HP
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Gengar has a wide support movepool and a good set of attacking moves, making it the perfect user of Substitute and Pain Split. While it has poor bulk, Gengar still manages to get a free Substitute on many occasions thanks to its good defensive typing and ability to force switches. Pain Split increases Gengar's longevity drastically, as Gengar's low base HP means it will recover lots of HP by using Pain Split on bulkier Pokemon. This makes Gengar a nuisance for stall teams, as it has an immunity to status conditions thanks to Substitute, and its typing gives it the ability to come in on commonly seen Pokemon in stall teams, such as Chansey, Mega Venusaur, Gliscor without Knock Off, and Clefable. Shadow Ball is Gengar's main STAB attack, as its neutral coverage is fantastic and deals solid damage to most Pokemon. Focus Blast rounds the set off nicely as it has perfect neutral coverage along with Shadow Ball. It also gives Gengar a way of severely hurting common switch-ins, including Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Bisharp and more defensively oriented Pokemon such as Heatran.

Set Details
========

When running Pain Split, Gengar can afford to have a Life Orb equipped. To take minimal recoil from Life Orb, 29 HP IVs are required. Life Orb increases Gengar's damage output a lot, making it very hard to switch into. A simple EV spread of maximum Speed and Special Attack with a Timid nature is run to make Gengar's attacks deal as much damage as possible, while using its great Speed stat to its full extent. Running an alternate EV spread of 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 252 Spe is also an option to prevent defensive Mega Venusaur and Clefable from breaking Gengar's Substitutes with their Giga Drains and Moonblasts, respectively.

Usage Tips
========

Gengar is a force to be reckoned with, and can be very hard to deal with, especially for balance and stall teams. It often comes in on and gets free Substitutes against many staple Pokemon on stall teams. Entry hazards support is strongly advised for Gengar to have an easier time shuffling and slowly breaking down cores. Against Pokemon that Gengar cannot really touch or that are weakened more effectively by the use of Pain Split, using Substitute until Gengar's HP is low so Pain Split drains more HP is a viable strategy which can be used for great results against bulkier teams.

Against more offensive teams, Life Orb Gengar can prove to be a problem, as Gengar's unpredictability makes it hard to prepare for. While the utility set isn't much of a threat to offense, this set surely is, as it scores many unexpected 2HKOs with its increased damage output. Utilizing Gengar's great defensive typing and bringing it in on predicted Fighting-, Ground-, or Normal-type moves is the best way to use it against offensive teams. Many offensive threats, such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Landorus-T, and Garchomp, are often Choice-locked, meaning Gengar can set up a free Substitute and proceed to do damage to the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Gengar is an amazing pick for offensive teams, as it works wonders against more defensively oriented teams. Wallbreakers such as Keldeo, Landorus, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Medicham that can take advantage of the switches Gengar forces against stall make good teammates, as the opponent's switch patterns often become predictable. Water- and Fighting-types such as Azumarill and Mega Heracross that appreciate having the likes of Mega Venusaur, Clefable, and Gliscor taken out make great teammates, as their jobs at breaking down the opposing team becomes much easier with Gengar breaking down their counters. Defensive, bulky Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Scizor make good teammates due to their typing, as they both can come in on strong priority attacks that threaten Gengar.

Last edited:
Where is C&C? For starters, I would put strong priority users and strong faster attackers(thundurus, greninja)under C&C. also, even HP number so more health is taken from subs so you do and heal more from pain split.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Where is C&C? For starters, I would put strong priority users and strong faster attackers(thundurus, greninja)under C&C. also, even HP number so more health is taken from subs so you do and heal more from pain split.
This is a single set, not an entire analysis. It doesn't need to have a c&c section.

Here some calcs which show how Gengar is dangerous with a Life Orb.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 260-307 (73.8 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Heatran: 242-286 (62.8 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 458-541 (134.3 - 158.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 390-463 (114.3 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 452-536 (112.1 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 315-374 (104.3 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 273-322 (85.5 - 100.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 398-471 (101 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 228 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 463-546 (116.3 - 137.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 416-494 (105.5 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 187-220 (57.8 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 207-243 (64.8 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 152-179 (51.1 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 196-231 (54.5 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 177-211 (64.3 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 165-195 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Valentine

Banned deucer.
this is very well done. Dice Jukain does he need to add checks and counters, or no since it's just a single set?

2/3, expecting joey to drop one in a minute.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so a few things I want you to change:

I for one don't like slashing Sludge Wave/Bomb next to Focus Blast. It's main target is Fairy-types, but a combination of Shadow Ball + Pain Split wears them out easily and stalls them of recovery PP, and it's not like most of them can threaten Gengar anyway. IMO if you're looking for a set that prioritizes getting rid of Fairy-types quickly you should just be running a 3 Attacks + DBond set. In particular, Gengar needs some way to take care of Dark-types, and since this set doesn't carry Destiny Bond or Will-o-Wisp or even SubDisable, you need to be running Focus Blast. If no other QC members object I'd like to see Sludge Bomb deslashed.

Mention under Set Details that you can also use a spread of 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 252 Spe to prevent Gengar's subs from being broken from defensive Mega Venusaur's Giga Drain or Clefable's Moonblast.

Just a minor nitpick, but you mention that this set counters Gliscor, which it really doesn't. A specially defensive Gliscor with Knock Off will easily win a 1v1 with this Gengar set.

If I were you, I'd add a little more to team options. Right now it's a little unclear and it's hard to understand what kinds of teams Gengar fits on, what roles its teammates need to play, and what role Gengar is expected to play for its teammates. It also seems a little weird how this Gengar set does so well against stall but the only teammates mentioned in the first half of Team Options are other wallbreakers.

Tag me when this is done and I'll give it another look-over.

Something that could be mentioned is that without Sludge Wave this Gengar set becomes a set-up fodder for Chesnaught's Spikes. After Chesnaught has set Spikes, it can Roar Gengar to rack up hazard damage to opposing team, or plow through Gengar with Wood Hammer.

(On a unrelated note, Gengar's actual analysis has 0 mentions of Chesnaught, which is imo one of the biggest reasons of running Sludge Wave instead of Sludge Bomb on Gengar.)

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Something that could be mentioned is that without Sludge Wave this Gengar set becomes a set-up fodder for Chesnaught's Spikes. After Chesnaught has set Spikes, it can Roar Gengar to rack up hazard damage to opposing team, or plow through Gengar with Wood Hammer.

(On a unrelated note, Gengar's actual analysis has 0 mentions of Chesnaught, which is imo one of the biggest reasons of running Sludge Wave instead of Sludge Bomb on Gengar.)
No, this shouldn't be mentioned. Chesnaught is not relevant enough to justify a moves mention, only OO should list this if at all (and iirc it does, it's just that OO isn't present in the current dex). Furthermore, implying that Sludge Wave or Sludge Bomb is worth running also implies that it's justifiable to make yourself the ultimate Bisharp / Tyranitar setup fodder, which is simply unacceptable when both Pokemon need only a single turn of setup to reach clean sweeping levels.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Okay, so a few things I want you to change:

I for one don't like slashing Sludge Wave/Bomb next to Focus Blast. It's main target is Fairy-types, but a combination of Shadow Ball + Pain Split wears them out easily and stalls them of recovery PP, and it's not like most of them can threaten Gengar anyway. IMO if you're looking for a set that prioritizes getting rid of Fairy-types quickly you should just be running a 3 Attacks + DBond set. In particular, Gengar needs some way to take care of Dark-types, and since this set doesn't carry Destiny Bond or Will-o-Wisp or even SubDisable, you need to be running Focus Blast. If no other QC members object I'd like to see Sludge Bomb deslashed.

Mention under Set Details that you can also use a spread of 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 252 Spe to prevent Gengar's subs from being broken from defensive Mega Venusaur's Giga Drain or Clefable's Moonblast.

Just a minor nitpick, but you mention that this set counters Gliscor, which it really doesn't. A specially defensive Gliscor with Knock Off will easily win a 1v1 with this Gengar set.

If I were you, I'd add a little more to team options. Right now it's a little unclear and it's hard to understand what kinds of teams Gengar fits on, what roles its teammates need to play, and what role Gengar is expected to play for its teammates. It also seems a little weird how this Gengar set does so well against stall but the only teammates mentioned in the first half of Team Options are other wallbreakers.

Tag me when this is done and I'll give it another look-over.
Yeah agree with you on most points, implemented all (you can't beat CM Clef 1v1 w/o Sludge Wave, thats the reason i listed it). Does it look better? CyclicCompound

Last edited:
No, this shouldn't be mentioned. Chesnaught is not relevant enough to justify a moves mention, only OO should list this if at all (and iirc it does, it's just that OO isn't present in the current dex). Furthermore, implying that Sludge Wave or Sludge Bomb is worth running also implies that it's justifiable to make yourself the ultimate Bisharp / Tyranitar setup fodder, which is simply unacceptable when both Pokemon need only a single turn of setup to reach clean sweeping levels.
Well, a simple OO mention was something I was aiming at. And I didn't mean that Sludge Wave would be a better move than Focus Blast, I meant that Gengar just kinda falls prey to Chesnaught due to the need of having to have coverage for more pressing threats. And although Chesnaught is by no means high-usage in OU, it is very relevant threat, and a good option as a bulky Grass-type to teams. Again, as this is meant for new players, a good analysis covers key aspects to using a Pokemon, and I think Chesnaught is a solid enough Pokemon in OU to be mentioned in this analysis.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
alright, this is good, just a recommendation for usage tips in that you should specify a bit on actually using subsplit. like you can actually sub on a bunch of bulkier/defensive mons and keep subbing down, then pain split bc gengar's tiny hp and weaken them. just expand a bit on that.

approved 3/3

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[GP Checks:]

SubSplit
########

Moves
========

Gengar has a wide support movepool and a good set of attacking moves, making it the prefect user of this set, utilizing Substitute and Pain Split in tandem. While having it has poor bulk, Gengar still manages to get a free Substitute in on many occasions, by using thanks to it's good defensive typing and ability to force switches on the opponents part. Pain Split is the crux NO! most important part of the set, and is what sets this set apart from Gengar's main utility set don't mention other sets; it increases Gengar's longlivety drastically, as it's low Base HP number stat means it will recover lots of HP by using Pain Split on bulkier Pokemon. This makes Gengar a nuisance for stall teams, as it's immune to status conditions thanks to Substitute, and it's typing gives it the ability to come in almost untouched on commonly seen Pokemon on stall, such as Chansey, Mega Venusaur, Gliscor without Knock Off, and Clefable. Shadow Ball is Gengar's main STAB attack, as its neutral coverage is fantastic and it does pretty deals solid damage to most Pokemon. Focus Blast rounds the set off nicely as it, along with Shadow Ball, has perfect neutral coverage. It also gives Gengar a way of severely hurting or straight up OHKOing common switchins,(AC) including like Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Bisharp, and more defensively orientated Pokemon like Heatran and Ferrothorn.

Set Details
========

When running Pain Split, Gengar can afford having a Life Orb equipped. To take minimal recoil from Life Orb, running 29 EVs IVs in HP is are ran run. The Life Orb increases Gengar's damage output and offensive presence a lot, making it very hard to switch into. A simple EV spread of maximum Speed and Special Attack with a Timid nature is ran to make Gengar's attacks do deal as much damage as possible, while using it's great Base Speed stat to it's full extent. Running an alternate EV spread of 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 252 Spe is also an option to hinder prevent defensive Mega Venusaur and Clefable from breaking your Substitutes with their Giga Drains and Moonblasts,(AC) respectively.

Usage Tips
========

Gengar is a force to be reckoned with, and can be very hard to deal with, especially for balance- and stall teams. As mentioned, it often comes in on and gets free Substitutes on against many staple Pokemon on stall teams, and thus it forces a lot of switches. For Gengar to have an easier time shuffelling and slowly breaking down the cores, laying entry hazards is adviced strongly advised. Against Pokemon you cannot really touch, or is weakened more effectively by the use of Pain Split, subbing down using Substitute until your HP is low so Pain Split drains more HP is a viable strategy which can be used for great results against bulkier teams.

Against more offensive teams, Life Orb Gengar can prove to be a problem, as Gengar's unpredictability in general makes it hard to prepare for. While the utility set isn't much of a threat to offense, this set surely is, as it scores many unexpected 2HKOs with the increased damage output a Life Orb provoides provides. Utilizing Gengar's great typing defensively, and bringing it in on predicted Fighting-, Ground- or Normal-type moves may be the best way to use it against offensive teams. Many offensive threats, such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Landorus-T, and Garchomp,(AC) are often choice locked, meaning Gengar gets a free turn, where it can set up a Substitute, and proceed to do damage to the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Gengar is an amazing pick for offensive teams, as it works wonders against more defensively orientated teams. Pokemon who can take advantage of the switches Gengar forces against stall make good teammates, as switch patterns often become predictable. This is something wallbreakers such as Keldeo, Landorus, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham,(AC) and Mega Heracross can make great use of. Otherwise, Water- and Fighting-types that appreciate having the llikes of Mega Venusaur, Clefable,(AC) and Gliscor taken out make great teammates, as their job at breaking down the opposing team becomes much easier with Gengar breaking down their counters. Examples here include Keldeo, Azumarill and Mega Heracross. Defensively, bulky Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Scizor make good teammates due to their typing, as they both can come in on strong priority attacks that threatens Gengar.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
amcheck, implement whatever you like and don't implement whatever you don't like ^_^

edit: lol double ninjas, guess I should be doing this in one sit .-. guess that gives you a lot of corrections to choose from, so you got that going for you, which is nice

add (Capitalization)
remove
(Comments)

SubSplit
########

Moves
========

Gengar has a wide support movepool and a good set of attacking moves, making it the prefect user of this set, utilizing Substitute and Pain Split in tandem. fluff While having Despite its poor bulk, Gengar still manages to get a free Substitute in on many occasions, (RC) by using it's its good defensive typing and ability to force switches on the opponents part fluff. Pain Split is the crux of the set, and is GP will kill you for using this sentence what sets this set apart from Gengar's main utility set; it increases Gengar's longlivety longevity drastically, as it's its low base HP number means it will recover lots of HP by using Pain Split on bulkier Pokemon. This makes Gengar a nuisance for stall teams, as it's its immuneity to status conditions thanks to Substitute, (RC) and it's its typing gives it the ability to come in almost untouched on commonly seen Pokemon on stall, such as Chansey, Mega Venusaur, Gliscor without Knock Off, and Clefable. Shadow Ball is Gengar's main STAB attack, as its neutral coverage is fantastic and it does pretty solid damage to most Pokemon. Focus Blast rounds the set off nicely as it, along with Shadow Ball, has perfect neutral coverage along with Shadow Ball. It also gives Gengar a way of severely hurting or straight up OHKOing common switchins like Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Bisharp, (RC) and more defensively orientated Pokemon like such as Heatran and Ferrothorn. (I can't really read if you also classify Heatran and Ferro as switchins, I thought not because Ferro doesn't like switching in because of the threat of Taunt and WoW; if you did, rephrase the second part to 'as well as defensive answers such as etc' while retaining the comma, or the like. I chopped the Pursuit users part because it disturbed the flow of the sentence too much imo and because it's rather redundant anyway.)

Set Details
========

When running Pain Split, Gengar can afford having a Life Orb equipped. To take minimal recoil from LO, running 29 EVs in HP is ran required. The Life Orb increases Gengar's damage output and offensive presence (tautology) a lot, making it very hard to switch into. A simple EV spread of maximum Speed and Special Attack with a Timid nature is ran to make Gengar's attacks do as much damage as possible, while using it's its great Base Speed to it's its full extent. Running an alternate EV spread of 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 252 Spe is also an option to hinder prevent defensive Mega Venusaur and Clefable from breaking your Substitutes with their Giga Drains and Moonblasts respectively.

Usage Tips
========

Gengar is a force to be reckoned with, and can be very hard to deal with, especially for balanced- (remove hyphen) and stall teams. As mentioned, (no referring to other parts) It often comes in on and gets free Substitutes on many staple Pokemon on stall teams, (RC) and thus it forces by forcing a lot of switches. Laying entry hazards is adviced strongly for (this is your main point and imo it doesn't get sufficient emphasis in the back of the sentence) Gengar to have an easier time shuffeling and slowly breaking down the cores, laying entry hazards is adviced strongly. Against Pokemon you cannot really touch, (RC) or is are weakened more effectively by the use of Pain Split, subbing down until your HP is low so Pain Split drains more HP is a viable strategy, (AC) which can be used for great results against bulkier teams.

Against more offensive teams, Life Orb Gengar can prove to be a problem, as Gengar's unpredictability in general makes it hard to prepare for. While the utility set isn't much of a threat to offense, this set surely is, as it scores many unexpected 2HKOs with the its increased damage output a Life Orb provoides. Utilizing Gengar's great defensive typing defensively, (RC) and bringing it in on predicted Fighting-, Ground- or Normal-type moves may be is the best way to use it against offensive teams. Many offensive threats, such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Landorus-T, and Garchomp, (AC) are often Choice-locked (add hyphen), meaning Gengar gets a free turn, where it can set up a free Substitute, (RC) and proceed to do damage to the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Gengar is an amazing pick for offensive teams, as it works wonders against more defensively orientated teams. Pokemon who can take advantage of the switches Gengar forces against stall make good teammates, as switch patters often become predictable. This is something wallbreakers such as Keldeo, Landorus, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham and Mega Heracross can make great use of. Otherwise, Water- and Fighting-types that appreciate having the llikes of Mega Venusaur, Clefable, (AC) and Gliscor taken out make great teammates, as their job at breaking down the opposing team becomes much easier with Gengar breaking down their counters. Examples here include Keldeo, (already mentioned) Azumarill and Mega Heracross (already mentioned as well, try coming up with one more example or move one from the previous section over here). Defensively, bulky Steel-types like such as Ferrothorn and Scizor make good teammates due to their typing, as they both can come in on strong priority attacks that threatens Gengar.

Last edited:

TheEnder

a petal in the wind

SubSplit
########

Moves
========

Gengar has a wide support movepool and a good set of attacking moves, making it the prefect user of this set, utilizing Substitute and Pain Split in tandem. While having it has poor bulk, Gengar still manages to get a free Substitute in on many occasions, by using thanks to it's good defensive typing and ability to force switches on the opponents part. Pain Split is the crux NO! most important part of the set, and is what sets this set apart from Gengar's main utility set don't mention other sets; it increases Gengar's longlivety drastically, as it's low Base HP number stat means it will recover lots of HP by using Pain Split on bulkier Pokemon. This makes Gengar a nuisance for stall teams, as it's immune to status conditions thanks to Substitute, and it's typing gives it the ability to come in almost untouched on commonly seen Pokemon on stall, such as Chansey, Mega Venusaur, Gliscor without Knock Off, and Clefable. Shadow Ball is Gengar's main STAB attack, as its neutral coverage is fantastic and it does pretty deals solid damage to most Pokemon. Focus Blast rounds the set off nicely as it, along with Shadow Ball, has perfect neutral coverage. It also gives Gengar a way of severely hurting or straight up OHKOing common switchins,(AC) including like Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Bisharp, and more defensively orientated Pokemon like Heatran and Ferrothorn.

Set Details
========

When running Pain Split, Gengar can afford having a Life Orb equipped. To take minimal recoil from Life Orb, running 29 EVs IVs in HP is are ran run. The Life Orb increases Gengar's damage output and offensive presence a lot, making it very hard to switch into. A simple EV spread of maximum Speed and Special Attack with a Timid nature is ran to make Gengar's attacks do deal as much damage as possible, while using it's great Base Speed stat to it's full extent. Running an alternate EV spread of 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 252 Spe is also an option to hinder prevent defensive Mega Venusaur and Clefable from breaking your Substitutes with their Giga Drains and Moonblasts,(AC) respectively.

Usage Tips
========

Gengar is a force to be reckoned with, and can be very hard to deal with, especially for balance- and stall teams. As mentioned, it often comes in on and gets free Substitutes on against many staple Pokemon on stall teams, and thus it forces a lot of switches. For Gengar to have an easier time shuffelling and slowly breaking down the cores, laying entry hazards is adviced strongly advised. Against Pokemon you cannot really touch, or is weakened more effectively by the use of Pain Split, subbing down using Substitute until your HP is low so Pain Split drains more HP is a viable strategy which can be used for great results against bulkier teams.

Against more offensive teams, Life Orb Gengar can prove to be a problem, as Gengar's unpredictability in general makes it hard to prepare for. While the utility set isn't much of a threat to offense, this set surely is, as it scores many unexpected 2HKOs with the increased damage output a Life Orb provoides provides. Utilizing Gengar's great typing defensively, and bringing it in on predicted Fighting-, Ground- or Normal-type moves may be the best way to use it against offensive teams. Many offensive threats, such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Landorus-T, and Garchomp,(AC) are often choice locked, meaning Gengar gets a free turn, where it can set up a Substitute, and proceed to do damage to the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Gengar is an amazing pick for offensive teams, as it works wonders against more defensively orientated teams. Pokemon who can take advantage of the switches Gengar forces against stall make good teammates, as switch patterns often become predictable. This is something wallbreakers such as Keldeo, Landorus, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham,(AC) and Mega Heracross can make great use of. Otherwise, Water- and Fighting-types that appreciate having the llikes of Mega Venusaur, Clefable,(AC) and Gliscor taken out make great teammates, as their job at breaking down the opposing team becomes much easier with Gengar breaking down their counters. Examples here include Keldeo, Azumarill and Mega Heracross. Defensively, bulky Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Scizor make good teammates due to their typing, as they both can come in on strong priority attacks that threatens Gengar.
amcheck, implement whatever you like and don't implement whatever you don't like ^_^

edit: lol double ninjas, guess I should be doing this in one sit .-. guess that gives you a lot of corrections to choose from, so you got that going for you, which is nice

add (Capitalization)
remove
(Comments)

SubSplit
########

Moves
========

Gengar has a wide support movepool and a good set of attacking moves, making it the prefect user of this set, utilizing Substitute and Pain Split in tandem. fluff While having Despite its poor bulk, Gengar still manages to get a free Substitute in on many occasions, (RC) by using it's its good defensive typing and ability to force switches on the opponents part fluff. Pain Split is the crux of the set, and is GP will kill you for using this sentence what sets this set apart from Gengar's main utility set; it increases Gengar's longlivety longevity drastically, as it's its low base HP number means it will recover lots of HP by using Pain Split on bulkier Pokemon. This makes Gengar a nuisance for stall teams, as it's its immuneity to status conditions thanks to Substitute, (RC) and it's its typing gives it the ability to come in almost untouched on commonly seen Pokemon on stall, such as Chansey, Mega Venusaur, Gliscor without Knock Off, and Clefable. Shadow Ball is Gengar's main STAB attack, as its neutral coverage is fantastic and it does pretty solid damage to most Pokemon. Focus Blast rounds the set off nicely as it, along with Shadow Ball, has perfect neutral coverage along with Shadow Ball. It also gives Gengar a way of severely hurting or straight up OHKOing common switchins like Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Bisharp, (RC) and more defensively orientated Pokemon like such as Heatran and Ferrothorn. (I can't really read if you also classify Heatran and Ferro as switchins, I thought not because Ferro doesn't like switching in because of the threat of Taunt and WoW; if you did, rephrase the second part to 'as well as defensive answers such as etc' while retaining the comma, or the like. I chopped the Pursuit users part because it disturbed the flow of the sentence too much imo and because it's rather redundant anyway.)

Set Details
========

When running Pain Split, Gengar can afford having a Life Orb equipped. To take minimal recoil from LO, running 29 EVs in HP is ran required. The Life Orb increases Gengar's damage output and offensive presence (tautology) a lot, making it very hard to switch into. A simple EV spread of maximum Speed and Special Attack with a Timid nature is ran to make Gengar's attacks do as much damage as possible, while using it's its great Base Speed to it's its full extent. Running an alternate EV spread of 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 252 Spe is also an option to hinder prevent defensive Mega Venusaur and Clefable from breaking your Substitutes with their Giga Drains and Moonblasts respectively.

Usage Tips
========

Gengar is a force to be reckoned with, and can be very hard to deal with, especially for balanced- (remove hyphen) and stall teams. As mentioned, (no referring to other parts) It often comes in on and gets free Substitutes on many staple Pokemon on stall teams, (RC) and thus it forces by forcing a lot of switches. Laying entry hazards is adviced strongly for (this is your main point and imo it doesn't get sufficient emphasis in the back of the sentence) Gengar to have an easier time shuffeling and slowly breaking down the cores, laying entry hazards is adviced strongly. Against Pokemon you cannot really touch, (RC) or is are weakened more effectively by the use of Pain Split, subbing down until your HP is low so Pain Split drains more HP is a viable strategy, (AC) which can be used for great results against bulkier teams.

Against more offensive teams, Life Orb Gengar can prove to be a problem, as Gengar's unpredictability in general makes it hard to prepare for. While the utility set isn't much of a threat to offense, this set surely is, as it scores many unexpected 2HKOs with the its increased damage output a Life Orb provoides. Utilizing Gengar's great defensive typing defensively, (RC) and bringing it in on predicted Fighting-, Ground- or Normal-type moves may be is the best way to use it against offensive teams. Many offensive threats, such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Landorus-T, and Garchomp, (AC) are often Choice-locked (add hyphen), meaning Gengar gets a free turn, where it can set up a free Substitute, (RC) and proceed to do damage to the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Gengar is an amazing pick for offensive teams, as it works wonders against more defensively orientated teams. Pokemon who can take advantage of the switches Gengar forces against stall make good teammates, as switch patters often become predictable. This is something wallbreakers such as Keldeo, Landorus, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham and Mega Heracross can make great use of. Otherwise, Water- and Fighting-types that appreciate having the llikes of Mega Venusaur, Clefable, (AC) and Gliscor taken out make great teammates, as their job at breaking down the opposing team becomes much easier with Gengar breaking down their counters. Examples here include Keldeo, (already mentioned) Azumarill and Mega Heracross (already mentioned as well, try coming up with one more example or move one from the previous section over here). Defensively, bulky Steel-types like such as Ferrothorn and Scizor make good teammates due to their typing, as they both can come in on strong priority attacks that threatens Gengar.
Implemented both (most from both), guess you dont like cruxes eh?

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Implemented both (most from both), guess you dont like cruxes eh?
Don't get me wrong, I love me some cruces ^_^
but really, the issue with that kind of sentence is that it adds literally nothing to the analysis and only artificially lengthens it, and it had gotten so bad that GP outright outlawed it (it says so in the spelling/grammar standards). It's really obvious it's an important move if it's the first move in the set/if the set is named after it, it's better to state why it's so important.

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
TheEnder

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

SubSplit
########

Moves
========

Gengar has a wide support movepool and a good set of attacking moves, making it the prefect user of Substitute and Pain Split. While it has poor bulk, Gengar still manages to get a free Substitute on many occasions, (RC) thanks to its good defensive typing and ability to force switches. Pain Split is the most important part of the set; it increases Gengar's longevity drastically, as its Gengar's low base HP means it Gengar will recover lots of HP by using Pain Split on bulkier Pokemon. This makes Gengar a nuisance for stall teams, as it has an immunity to status conditions thanks to Substitute, and its typing give it the ability to come in almost untouched on commonly seen Pokemon on stall, such as Chansey, Mega Venusaur, Gliscor without Knock Off, and Clefable. Shadow Ball is Gengar's main STAB attack, as its neutral coverage is fantastic and deals solid damage to most Pokemon. Focus Blast rounds the set off nicely as it has perfect neutral coverage along with Shadow Ball. It also gives Gengar a way of severely hurting or straight up OHKOing common switch-ins, including Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Bisharp, (RC) and more defensively orientated Pokemon such as Heatran.

Set Details
========

When running Pain Split, Gengar can afford having a Life Orb equipped. To take minimal recoil from Life Orb, 29 an IVs of 29 in HP is required. The Life Orb increases Gengar's damage output a lot, making it very hard to switch into. A simple EV spread of maximum Speed and Special Attack with a Timid nature is ran to make Gengar's attacks deal as much damage as possible, while using its great Speed stat to its full extent. Running an alternate EV spread of 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 252 Spe is also an option to prevent defensive Mega Venusaur and Clefable from breaking your Gengar's Substitutes with their Giga Drains and Moonblasts, respectively.

Usage Tips
========

Gengar is a force to be reckoned with, and can be very hard to deal with, especially for balance and stall teams. It often comes in on and gets free Substitutes against many staple Pokemon on stall teams, and thus it forces a lot of switches. Laying entry hazards is strongly advised for Gengar to have an easier time shuffling and slowly breaking down the cores. Against Pokemon you Gengar cannot really touch, or are weakened more effectively by the use of Pain Split, using Substitute until your Gengar's HP is low so Pain Split drains more HP is a viable strategy which can be used for great results against bulkier teams.

Against more offensive teams, Life Orb Gengar can prove to be a problem, as Gengar's unpredictability makes it hard to prepare for. While the utility set isn't much of a threat to offense, this set surely is, as it scores many unexpected 2HKOs with its increased damage output. Utilizing Gengar's great defensive typing, (RC) and bringing it in on predicted Fighting-, Ground-, (AC) or Normal-type moves is the best way to use it against offensive teams. Many offensive threats, such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Landorus-T, and Garchomp, are often Choice-locked, meaning Gengar can set up a free Substitute, (RC) and proceed to do damage to the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Gengar is an amazing pick for offensive teams, as it works wonders against more defensively orientated teams. Pokemon who that can take advantage of the switches Gengar forces against stall make good teammates, as switch patterns often become predictable. This is something wallbreakers such as Keldeo, Landorus, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Medicham can make great use of. Otherwise, Water- and Fighting-types that appreciate having the likes of Mega Venusaur, Clefable, and Gliscor taken out make great teammates, as their job at breaking down the opposing team becomes much easier with Gengar breaking down their counters. Examples here include Azumarill and Mega Heracross. Defensively, bulky Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Scizor make good teammates due to their typing, as they both can come in on strong priority attacks that threaten Gengar.

1/2

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
TheEnder

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

SubSplit
########

Moves
========

Gengar has a wide support movepool and a good set of attacking moves, making it the prefect user of Substitute and Pain Split. While it has poor bulk, Gengar still manages to get a free Substitute on many occasions, (RC) thanks to its good defensive typing and ability to force switches. Pain Split is the most important part of the set; it increases Gengar's longevity drastically, as its Gengar's low base HP means it Gengar will recover lots of HP by using Pain Split on bulkier Pokemon. This makes Gengar a nuisance for stall teams, as it has an immunity to status conditions thanks to Substitute, and its typing give it the ability to come in almost untouched on commonly seen Pokemon on stall, such as Chansey, Mega Venusaur, Gliscor without Knock Off, and Clefable. Shadow Ball is Gengar's main STAB attack, as its neutral coverage is fantastic and deals solid damage to most Pokemon. Focus Blast rounds the set off nicely as it has perfect neutral coverage along with Shadow Ball. It also gives Gengar a way of severely hurting or straight up OHKOing common switch-ins, including Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Bisharp, (RC) and more defensively orientated Pokemon such as Heatran.

Set Details
========

When running Pain Split, Gengar can afford having a Life Orb equipped. To take minimal recoil from Life Orb, 29 an IVs of 29 in HP is required. The Life Orb increases Gengar's damage output a lot, making it very hard to switch into. A simple EV spread of maximum Speed and Special Attack with a Timid nature is ran to make Gengar's attacks deal as much damage as possible, while using its great Speed stat to its full extent. Running an alternate EV spread of 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 252 Spe is also an option to prevent defensive Mega Venusaur and Clefable from breaking your Gengar's Substitutes with their Giga Drains and Moonblasts, respectively.

Usage Tips
========

Gengar is a force to be reckoned with, and can be very hard to deal with, especially for balance and stall teams. It often comes in on and gets free Substitutes against many staple Pokemon on stall teams, and thus it forces a lot of switches. Laying entry hazards is strongly advised for Gengar to have an easier time shuffling and slowly breaking down the cores. Against Pokemon you Gengar cannot really touch, or are weakened more effectively by the use of Pain Split, using Substitute until your Gengar's HP is low so Pain Split drains more HP is a viable strategy which can be used for great results against bulkier teams.

Against more offensive teams, Life Orb Gengar can prove to be a problem, as Gengar's unpredictability makes it hard to prepare for. While the utility set isn't much of a threat to offense, this set surely is, as it scores many unexpected 2HKOs with its increased damage output. Utilizing Gengar's great defensive typing, (RC) and bringing it in on predicted Fighting-, Ground-, (AC) or Normal-type moves is the best way to use it against offensive teams. Many offensive threats, such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Landorus-T, and Garchomp, are often Choice-locked, meaning Gengar can set up a free Substitute, (RC) and proceed to do damage to the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Gengar is an amazing pick for offensive teams, as it works wonders against more defensively orientated teams. Pokemon who that can take advantage of the switches Gengar forces against stall make good teammates, as switch patterns often become predictable. This is something wallbreakers such as Keldeo, Landorus, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Medicham can make great use of. Otherwise, Water- and Fighting-types that appreciate having the likes of Mega Venusaur, Clefable, and Gliscor taken out make great teammates, as their job at breaking down the opposing team becomes much easier with Gengar breaking down their counters. Examples here include Azumarill and Mega Heracross. Defensively, bulky Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Scizor make good teammates due to their typing, as they both can come in on strong priority attacks that threaten Gengar.

1/2
Implemented, ready for last check :]

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amcheck :)

add remove (comments)

SubSplit
########

Moves
========

Gengar has a wide support movepool and a good set of attacking moves, making it the perfect user of Substitute and Pain Split. While it has poor bulk, Gengar still manages to get a free Substitute on many occasions thanks to its good defensive typing and ability to force switches. Pain Split is the most important part of the set; it increases Gengar's longevity drastically, as Gengar's low base HP means Gengar it will recover lots of HP by using Pain Split on bulkier Pokemon. This makes Gengar a nuisance for stall teams, as it has an immunity to status conditions thanks to Substitute, and its typing gives it the ability to come in almost untouched on commonly seen Pokemon on in stall teams, such as Chansey, Mega Venusaur, Gliscor without Knock Off, and Clefable. Shadow Ball is Gengar's main STAB attack, as its neutral coverage is fantastic and deals solid damage to most Pokemon. Focus Blast rounds the set off nicely as it has perfect neutral coverage along with Shadow Ball. It also gives Gengar a way of severely hurting or straight up OHKOing common switch-ins, including Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Bisharp and more defensively oriented Pokemon such as Heatran.

Set Details
========

When running Pain Split, Gengar can afford having to have a Life Orb equipped. To take minimal recoil from Life Orb, an IV of 29 in 29 HP IVs is are required. The Life Orb increases Gengar's damage output a lot, making it very hard to switch into. A simple EV spread of maximum Speed and Special Attack with a Timid nature is ran run to make Gengar's attacks deal as much damage as possible, while using its great Speed stat to its full extent. Running an alternate EV spread of 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 252 Spe is also an option to prevent defensive Mega Venusaur and Clefable from breaking Gengar's Substitutes with their Giga Drains and Moonblasts, respectively.

Usage Tips
========

Gengar is a force to be reckoned with, and can be very hard to deal with, especially for balance and stall teams. It often comes in on and gets free Substitutes against many staple Pokemon on stall teams, and thus it forces a lot of switches. (how does this relate to coming in on staple stall Pokemon?) Laying Entry hazards support is strongly advised for Gengar to have an easier time shuffling and slowly breaking down cores. Against Pokemon that Gengar cannot really touch, (remove comma) or that are weakened more effectively by the use of Pain Split, using Substitute until Gengar's HP is low so Pain Split drains more HP is a viable strategy which can be used for great results against bulkier teams.

Against more offensive teams, Life Orb Gengar can prove to be a problem, as Gengar's unpredictability makes it hard to prepare for. While the utility set isn't much of a threat to offense, this set surely is, as it scores many unexpected 2HKOs with its increased damage output. Utilizing Gengar's great defensive typing and bringing it in on predicted Fighting-, Ground-, or Normal-type moves is the best way to use it against offensive teams. Many offensive threats, such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Landorus-T, and Garchomp, are often Choice-locked, meaning Gengar can set up a free Substitute and proceed to do damage to the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Gengar is an amazing pick for offensive teams, as it works wonders against more defensively oriented teams. Pokemon Wallbreakers such as Keldeo, Landorus, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Medicham that can take advantage of the switches Gengar forces against stall make good teammates, as the opponent's switch patterns often become predictable. This is something wallbreakers such as Keldeo, Landorus, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Medicham can make great use of. Otherwise, Water- and Fighting-types such as Azumarill and Mega Heracross that appreciate having the likes of Mega Venusaur, Clefable, and Gliscor taken out make great teammates, as their jobs at breaking down the opposing team becomes much easier with Gengar breaking down their counters. Examples here include Azumarill and Mega Heracross. Defensive, bulky Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Scizor make good teammates due to their typings, as they both can come in on strong priority attacks that threaten Gengar.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
amcheck :)

add remove (comments)

SubSplit
########

Moves
========

Gengar has a wide support movepool and a good set of attacking moves, making it the perfect user of Substitute and Pain Split. While it has poor bulk, Gengar still manages to get a free Substitute on many occasions thanks to its good defensive typing and ability to force switches. Pain Split is the most important part of the set; it increases Gengar's longevity drastically, as Gengar's low base HP means Gengar it will recover lots of HP by using Pain Split on bulkier Pokemon. This makes Gengar a nuisance for stall teams, as it has an immunity to status conditions thanks to Substitute, and its typing gives it the ability to come in almost untouched on commonly seen Pokemon on in stall teams, such as Chansey, Mega Venusaur, Gliscor without Knock Off, and Clefable. Shadow Ball is Gengar's main STAB attack, as its neutral coverage is fantastic and deals solid damage to most Pokemon. Focus Blast rounds the set off nicely as it has perfect neutral coverage along with Shadow Ball. It also gives Gengar a way of severely hurting or straight up OHKOing common switch-ins, including Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Bisharp and more defensively oriented Pokemon such as Heatran.

Set Details
========

When running Pain Split, Gengar can afford having to have a Life Orb equipped. To take minimal recoil from Life Orb, an IV of 29 in 29 HP IVs is are required. The Life Orb increases Gengar's damage output a lot, making it very hard to switch into. A simple EV spread of maximum Speed and Special Attack with a Timid nature is ran run to make Gengar's attacks deal as much damage as possible, while using its great Speed stat to its full extent. Running an alternate EV spread of 28 HP / 148 SpA / 80 SpD / 252 Spe is also an option to prevent defensive Mega Venusaur and Clefable from breaking Gengar's Substitutes with their Giga Drains and Moonblasts, respectively.

Usage Tips
========

Gengar is a force to be reckoned with, and can be very hard to deal with, especially for balance and stall teams. It often comes in on and gets free Substitutes against many staple Pokemon on stall teams, and thus it forces a lot of switches. (how does this relate to coming in on staple stall Pokemon?) Laying Entry hazards support is strongly advised for Gengar to have an easier time shuffling and slowly breaking down cores. Against Pokemon that Gengar cannot really touch, (remove comma) or that are weakened more effectively by the use of Pain Split, using Substitute until Gengar's HP is low so Pain Split drains more HP is a viable strategy which can be used for great results against bulkier teams.

Team Options
========

Gengar is an amazing pick for offensive teams, as it works wonders against more defensively oriented teams. Pokemon Wallbreakers such as Keldeo, Landorus, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Medicham that can take advantage of the switches Gengar forces against stall make good teammates, as the opponent's switch patterns often become predictable. This is something wallbreakers such as Keldeo, Landorus, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Medicham can make great use of. Otherwise, Water- and Fighting-types such as Azumarill and Mega Heracross that appreciate having the likes of Mega Venusaur, Clefable, and Gliscor taken out make great teammates, as their jobs at breaking down the opposing team becomes much easier with Gengar breaking down their counters. Examples here include Azumarill and Mega Heracross. Defensive, bulky Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Scizor make good teammates due to their typings, as they both can come in on strong priority attacks that threaten Gengar.
This job is too easy.
[GP 2/2] frenzyplant good job
Implemented, this is done :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)