Pokémon Gengar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say Gengar looks pretty Badass. It won't be outpaced by the Latis twins even if it opts to use Hidden Power Fire. (Which is questionable due to its nerf in power). Slightly raised defenses also means it could probably (I can't find a calculator, and I'm too lazy to do it myself) take a bullet punch better.

Does anyone know if Gengar gets Trick-or-treat? Even though it seems kind of gimmicky, Necturna uses soak very effectively.

Trick-or-treat could be devastating conjunction with shadow ball and shadow tag. Basically, Gengar mega-evolves with Trick-or-Treat on the switch, and the incoming Greninja (or whatever) is converted to ghost type. Now, Greninja has lost STAB on Sucker Punch, cannot switch out, and is facing a super-effective shadow ball coming off of 170 base SpAtk.

Well, adding the Ghost type to the target would mean that it could now escape from trapping abilities, so I don't think it would be viable.

Just throwing it out here, surprised no one mentioned it yet (or if someone did I missed it). Assault Vest Drapion is the best Mega Gengar 'counter' I've found.

252 SpA (custom) Focus Blast vs. +1 248 HP / 252+ SpD Drapion: 95-112 (27.69 - 32.65%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Drapion (M) @ Assault Vest
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

Sadly, Pursuit doesn't ohko a switching Gengar if its at 100%, but puts it at low enough that between hazards and you not being dumb and giving it completely free switches it should be no problem for the rest of the game. Been using this with great success on PO.
Talonflame works really well as a revenge killer. Can be brought into Focus Blasts as well if there are no hazards.

252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame : 122-144 (45.69 - 53.93%) -- 49.22% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar : 246-290 (93.89 - 110.68%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Flying Gem acrobatics works too

252+ Atk Flying Gem Talonflame Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar : 259-306 (98.85 - 116.79%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Gengar gets Trick-or-treat? Even though it seems kind of gimmicky, Necturna uses soak very effectively.

Trick-or-treat could be devastating conjunction with shadow ball and shadow tag. Basically, Gengar mega-evolves with Trick-or-Treat on the switch, and the incoming Greninja (or whatever) is converted to ghost type. Now, Greninja has lost STAB on Sucker Punch, cannot switch out, and is facing a super-effective shadow ball coming off of 170 base SpAtk.
Trick-or-Treat doesn't override the enemy's type like Soak; it adds Ghost as a second or third type. All it does it double the enemy's vulnerability to Ghost-type moves, and you'd get the same kind of damage by using Shadow Ball both turns.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
People have been bad mouthing the PerishTrapper and all, but seriously in theory I think it's incredibly deadly as both a weapon for offensive teams and for stall. Let me explain.

I send out regular Gengar against something I scare out (same shit as it scared out in Gen 5 - shouldn't be too hard), Perish Song on the switch, Sub and Protect (which will always work unless vs an Infiltrator, a priority user or some scarfers) and then kill. Stuff like Assault Vest Tyranitar eats shit, and Gengar is still alive and well. I even like this as a weapon for stall teams, because there's often something that outright stalls you the fuck out. I'm aware that an attacking Gengar is probably better in a lot of situations but I'm excited to test the PerishTrapper for sure!

People have been bad mouthing the PerishTrapper and all, but seriously in theory I think it's incredibly deadly as both a weapon for offensive teams and for stall. Let me explain.

I send out regular Gengar against something I scare out (same shit as it scared out in Gen 5 - shouldn't be too hard), Perish Song on the switch, Sub and Protect (which will always work unless vs an Infiltrator, a priority user or some scarfers) and then kill. Stuff like Assault Vest Tyranitar eats shit, and Gengar is still alive and well. I even like this as a weapon for stall teams, because there's often something that outright stalls you the fuck out. I'm aware that an attacking Gengar is probably better in a lot of situations but I'm excited to test the PerishTrapper for sure!
I feel you on that. It's aways nice to have a guaranteed KO on any poke. The only things to watch out for are faster pokes and other megas like Alakasam. There should be enough Gengar variants that the enemy would have to play very defensive to see if your Gengar is a sweeper, perish trapper, hypno, pain splitter, or mega. What move are you thinking of using for 4th slot? Shadow Ball?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I feel you on that. It's aways nice to have a guaranteed KO on any poke. The only things to watch out for are faster pokes and other megas like Alakasam. There should be enough Gengar variants that the enemy would have to play very defensive to see if your Gengar is a sweeper, perish trapper, hypno, pain splitter, or mega. What move are you thinking of using for 4th slot? Shadow Ball?
Most likely Shadow Ball just because it's his best stab move, the only Normal that is really used is Blissey who'll be dying a painful death. Also wondering whether I should give it any HP/defensive ev's to allow it to take a hit if needed. I'm leaning towards "yes" at the moment, without knowing any bench marks off the top of my head that I may need to reach.

Most likely Shadow Ball just because it's his best stab move, the only Normal that is really used is Blissey who'll be dying a painful death. Also wondering whether I should give it any HP/defensive ev's to allow it to take a hit if needed. I'm leaning towards "yes" at the moment, without knowing any bench marks off the top of my head that I may need to reach.
Well I guess you would focus on Speed and can prob go HP for fun since the main purpose is to perish trap. You can prob use the last slot for something gimmicky like Destiny Bond to guarantee 2 KOs. And that way you can stop Infiltrators from breaking your strategy.

This is not a good idea, considering that giving something the Ghost-types allows it to switch out of Shadow Tag.

Problem is, after your first kill, you won't get the free turn as they switch, so Gengar is pretty much locked to Shadow Ball for the rest of the match.

I'm seeing a new spin on an older gaming strategy with MegaGengar, "DragTag". I didn't read all the comments so I don't know if someone had suggested it, but the idea is now to take steel types out of the equation (somewhat) and replace Magnezone with MegaGengar.Here is the set I would use:

Gengar @ Gengarite | Shadow Tag
252 Spd / 252 Sp.Atk | Timid
Shadow Ball | Sludge Bomb | HP Fire/Focus Blast | Destiny Bond
I'm sure all of you know what a DragMag Team is, this is simply a re-imagining of it. The idea is to trap steel types and Fairy Types with MegaGengar and dispose of them. This would allow dragons to Wreak Havoc. Sure, a lot of Dragons get steel coverage moves to deal with Dragons, but not all of them do. And even then, you may have a few choiced dragons in your group, and you don't want to waste a turn going through and switching out (and maybe back in) with a nearly full dragon team when there are fairies rampant. Mega Gengars massive 170 Sp. Atk, along with Calm mind give him enough power to take out steel types with HP Fire, along with added protection against those pesky Fairy Types (correct me if I'm wrong but every fairy type move in this gen is specially based other than Play Rough, which against Gengar is a resisted hit anyway.) You could use focus blast if you want to, but I opt for HP fire so you have at least Neutral damage against fairies with all 3 moves.

Last edited:
I'm seeing a new spin on an older gaming strategy with MegaGengar, "DragTag". I didn't read all the comments so I don't know if someone had suggested it, but the idea is now to take steel types out of the equation (somewhat) and replace Magnezone with MegaGengar.Here is the set I would use:

Gengar @ Gengarite | Shadow Tag
252 Spd / 252 Sp.Atk | Timid
Shadow Ball | Sludge Bomb | HP Fire/Focus Blast | Calm Mind
I'm sure all of you know what a DragMag Team is, this is simply a re-imagining of it. The idea is to trap steel types and Fairy Types with MegaGengar and dispose of them. This would allow dragons to Wreak Havoc. Sure, a lot of Dragons get steel coverage moves to deal with Dragons, but not all of them do. And even then, you may have a few choiced dragons in your group, and you don't want to waste a turn going through and switching out (and maybe back in) with a nearly full dragon team when there are fairies rampant. Mega Gengars massive 170 Sp. Atk, along with Calm mind give him enough power to take out steel types with HP Fire, along with added protection against those pesky Fairy Types (correct me if I'm wrong but every fairy type move in this gen is specially based other than Play Rough, which against Gengar is a resisted hit anyway.) You could use focus blast if you want to, but I opt for HP fire so you have at least Neutral damage against fairies with all 3 moves.
This is interesting. I'd vie for Focus Blast over HP Fire, because Gengar already hits every Fairy-type for at least neutral damage anyway with Ghost/Poison and a resisted Focus Blast is the same BP as a neutral HP Fire anyway. Also... Gengar doesn't learn Calm Mind. So... essentially this is the same set that everyone else has been posting xD

Problem is, after your first kill, you won't get the free turn as they switch, so Gengar is pretty much locked to Shadow Ball for the rest of the match.

What do you mean? You would switch out on the last turn so you don't die then can switch him back in whenever you want or in case you can force another switch. Also that is where Destiny Bond comes into play. Use him to revenge kill a sweeper.

What do you mean? You would switch out on the last turn so you don't die then can switch him back in whenever you want or in case you can force another switch. Also that is where Destiny Bond comes into play. Use him to revenge kill a sweeper.
I'm not disputing that part. What I mean is, the strategy is reliant on getting a free turn to set up Perish Song because the enemy will switch as Gengar Mega Evolves. Next time Gengar comes in after getting that kill, they can't do that because Shadow Tag is already active, and they wouldn't anyway because they know a Perish Song is coming, so they'd just smash Mega Gengar as it uses Perish Song. It's already burned three moveslots on Perish Song, Protect, and Substitute, and those moves won't be any help later in the match. So Gengar will have a hard time getting any kills beyond whatever your opponent chooses to switch in the first time it shows its face.

I'm not disputing that part. What I mean is, the strategy is reliant on getting a free turn to set up Perish Song because the enemy will switch as Gengar Mega Evolves. Next time Gengar comes in after getting that kill, they can't do that because Shadow Tag is already active, and they wouldn't anyway because they know a Perish Song is coming, so they'd just smash Mega Gengar as it uses Perish Song. It's already burned three moveslots on Perish Song, Protect, and Substitute, and those moves won't be any help later in the match. So Gengar will have a hard time getting any kills beyond whatever your opponent chooses to switch in the first time it shows its face.
That's why I mentioned trying destiny bond. They will expect another perish trap and probably try to OHKO you so you destiny bond them.

So huh.

Why do I keep outspeeding Gengars with my Breloom's Spore?

Are the base stats wrong or is there some -1 priority move he likes running for some reason?

Not familiar at all with the guy.

So huh.

Why do I keep outspeeding Gengars with my Breloom's Spore?

Are the base stats wrong or is there some -1 priority move he likes running for some reason?

Not familiar at all with the guy.
Keep in mind that most people can't be bothered to breed for perfect IVs ATM or even the essentials (gengar spatk spd etc) my whole squad is 6/6 and it took over a week of solid breeding. Most people don't have the time for that.

Keep in mind that most people can't be bothered to breed for perfect IVs ATM or even the essentials (gengar spatk spd etc) my whole squad is 6/6 and it took over a week of solid breeding. Most people don't have the time for that.
My Breloom is Jolly with 252 EV in speed sure.

But Gengar Outspeeds it easily even then.

I doubt they all run with speed hindering natures..

My Breloom is Jolly with 252 EV in speed sure.

But Gengar Outspeeds it easily even then.

I doubt they all run with speed hindering natures..
Most people aren't bothered right now dude, it's ENTIRELY possible people just grabbed a random gastly with terrible speed ivs and possibly a -speed nature. There is no other explanation.

Breloom is base 70 to Gengar's base 110. It would have to have not only nonexistent IVs but also damn near nonexistent EVs to be slower. Mega Gengar can barely even pull it off; with a neutral nature it outspeeds 252+ Breloom even with 0 EVs and 0 IVs.

Breloom is base 70 to Gengar's base 110. It would have to have not only nonexistent IVs but also damn near nonexistent EVs to be slower. Mega Gengar can barely even pull it off; with a neutral nature it outspeeds 252+ Breloom even with 0 EVs and 0 IVs.
Then ask the guy who's claiming to out speed a bunch of Gengar mate. Like you said it isn't possible. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)