GENGAR

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is a discussion thread for all things GENGAR-related. Some ideas for discussion topics are:
  • What sets do you like to run / have you tested out on GENGAR?
  • What teams do you like to run GENGAR on, and with what partners?
  • What do you use to check GENGAR?
  • What effect does GENGAR have on the meta, in your opinion (avoid saying "it has a good/bad effect" please)
  • Anything else GENGAR-related! :)
  • IMPORTANT: What edgy nicknames do you give your GENGAR?
Don't feel the need to address all of these if you post here—in fact, I'd kind of rather you not, just let discussion flow naturally. These are just ideas. Happy posting!

Last edited:
Ok so i have been 6-0ed twice now by a megagar. it is super annoying.

The first game was against champetero using perish trap. it is usually frowned on as a strategy but megagar makes it pretty damn effective. A good partner is a fast encore user because encore + disable is gay and completely screws the trapped pokes over. Accelgor works, but raichu is bad.

the second was against laga using gengar + terrakion. i led with my kanga and megagar trapped then burnt it. with terrakion using quick guard, kanga couldnt touch megagar, meaning they could pair up on my other trapped poke. this is probably the most potent way to use megagar, as it forces 2 v1 situations by burn trapping.

to beat it you either need to stop it from using perish song /WoW /disable/ protect/ sub/ taunt; or hit it with a strong fast special attacker, as they cannot be burnt. however, this is what makes terrakion a great partner. it can quick guard/rock slide to beat thundy-i and stop the taunt/twave, or smash dark types with close combat and base 109 speed.

Scarf ground types work though. Scarf lando and scarf excadrill both have a fast earthquake to hit megagar and terrakion hard before they can be burned.

EDIT: i give any megagar i use the name: AIDS

Last edited:
The Devil (Gengar) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: *withheld (atm anyway) to spare us from champetero's rage :]
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Disable
- Perish Song
- Protect

Dark Wizard (Accelgor) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 232 Spd / 24 Atk / 252 HP
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Final Gambit
- Encore
- Protect

A fun little combo I've been trying out since champetero made me. Accelgor is to me at least very appealing since it can outspeed Adamant Scarf Lando-T (everyone's probably going to start using Jolly because of this post x_x) and get rid of it with Final Gambit if needed (Final Gambit is also nice for getting rid of any other problems that may get in your way). Plus annoyingly fast Encores tend to be the bread and butter of Semi-Perish Trapping, and apart from Prankster users Accelgor's is the fastest.

The Gengar-Mega set is a pretty standard Perish Trapping Gengar set, really that's all there is to say about it. Basically, you should be expecting this set when you see an Encore user and Gengar on the same team.

In terms of dealing with the Mega Gengar + Encore combination, the biggest factor is speed. If you don't have a way to move before Mega Gengar you will almost surely have a lot of difficulty with one that is played properly. Priority is of course less effective since Sucker Punch, Fake Out, Mach Punch, and so on cannot hit Gengar. Prankster Taunt is a very effective method imo, and Thundurus is a solid option for shutting down Gengar (needs some support as you'd expect). Speed control is nice as well, but it often has some trouble setting up against Gengar (Trick Room and Tailwind are the best options as they don't get blocked by a double Protect). Choice Scarfs are also greatly effective since they give something an instant speed boost.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Non-Mega Gengar isn't too bad either. With a speedy Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, and a nice Ghost-typing it is great at stopping opposing MKangaskhan (WoW) and supporting your own (Taunt). I feel it isn't nearly as effective as its Mega counterpart however, as it is still very frail and with Knock Off being so common it can faint pretty quickly.

Still, it is the fastest Ghost in the tier (ties w/ Froslass, but Froslass doesn't have WoW anyway) bar its Mega counterpart, which makes it one of the most offensively built Kangaskhan switch ins (watch out for Crunch however) around. This gives it a very nice niche alongside Kangaskhan (something Gengar-Mega can't do) for applying some offensive pressure while shutting down common options to stop/slow down Kangaskhan (Taunt stops WoW and allows Sucker Punch to safely hit Ghosts; WoW shuts down common Intimidate threats like Lando-T so they can't do much to hurt Kangaskhan and can only really slow it down). I'll definitely agree it is really only around for Kanga (be it its partner or an opposing one) and mildly matchup dependant, but there's no denying its good at what it does.

Accelgor works, but raichu is bad.
tl;dr Nollan's team works, but champetero's team is bad :] (no it isn't)

Last edited:

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
mega evolve early
mega gengar is an interesting case. for a lot of pokemon you will try to mega evolve relatively early to get the stat boosts, ability boost, etc (char-y, mega venu, mega scizor). for some you wait a little longer throughout the battle to abuse the not-mega evolved states ability until you need it (garchomp's speed, manectric's lightningrod, mawile's intimidate).
mega gengar falls into a gray category where you may or may not mega evolve depending if you need levitate (for your opp's or even your own eq's) or if you need trapping. i would agree that as a standard, being able to trap is nice, but i always consider this one question before mega evolving: "do i want my mega gengar to be forced to protect on potential eqs?"
if there isn't really an eq problem, then ofc i will mega (like no ground pokemon at all)
if there are multiple eq'ers ill probably wait it out and let the rest of my team wittle down the eq'ers before i send in megagar
if there are 1 or 2 eq'ers, then ill still probably mega evo because im edgy and usually i can pair mega gengar with something that can smack ground types. you gotta remember, you are the one controlling the switching. more often than not, you will be able to force them into a bad position just by having megagar protect while you swap in some sort of check/counter for the opposing pokemon without fear of them switching themselves because of shadow tag. thank you fuckin based shadow tag

one note: potential things that can swap even with shadow tag. scarf u turners/volt switchers (im lookin at you lando-t), ghost types. you won't always be able to trap these buddies
second note: what is a ghost type that can smack mega gar? yeah that's right. golurk. it can swap in and out if it dosen't wanna fight. and if it does wanna fight, then it can stay in and smack the shit out of gar with eq. and you get the added bonus of being a hard terrakion counter! golurk fuckin best pokemon 2014.

oh. mega gar also outspeeds some scarf lando-t variants. that's p cool :^). it's kinda hard to scout though unless you already have a sub up to see who is actually faster. so that's why some people like sub i guess
personalmente i like sludge bomb because base 130 outspeeds skymin, and how often can you pop that nigga off :]

most importantly though, i nick my gars "boo kale"!!!

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
second note: what is a ghost type that can smack mega gar? yeah that's right. golurk. it can swap in and out if it dosen't wanna fight. and if it does wanna fight, then it can stay in and smack the shit out of gar with eq. and you get the added bonus of being a hard terrakion counter! golurk fuckin best pokemon 2014.
Um, nice counter
252 SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Golurk: 384-452 (100.5 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Aegislash can live a shadow ball in shield forme and ohko with its own shadow ball

252 SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 224-266 (69.1 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gengar: 336-396 (128.2 - 151.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Yes, I considered this, but I think Aegislash is an overall less effective choice since Disable + Encore penetrates King's Shield, forcing it to switch out (this does apply to almost every slower Ghost-type, though). Not to say its bad, I'd just use the word "situational".

Accelgor works, but raichu is bad.
Says the guy that got 6-0'd by it.

also Damn it Nollan i told u not to post that set :I.It's easier to play vs mega gengar if u know it isn't as fast as normal gengar.

BTW i agree with finally on always mega evolving gengar early isn't a good idea because levitate is always a good ability to have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)