Ghost-types: Spiritually Gifted (Some?)

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, enough about Yamask then. I agree it is outclassed by Misdreavus. How about Haunter? A glass cannon, but great Choice Scarf user.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
You forgot to talk about flare boost Drifblim!
It is very underrated, as if you can time a switch in the right place it can switch in safely, and then take out a good 2 or 3 of your opponent's pokemon! I was actually quite shocked to see it not under Drifblim despite everything believing it out-classed by unburden.

Also may you add a list of the 4 types left without a thread? I may make one if I know enough about said type. (COME ON ICE!)

I've tried the Specs Set with Giga Drain > Thunderbolt, and it's a great wallbreaker. It maintains it's great Speed but now it has killer SAtk. It can do a lot of damage. The only downfall is that when Choice-locked, you have to switch quite often because his STABs can be easily resisted. Flare Boost Drifblim can't do much because it doesn't have a great Special movepool, and it needs the extra Speed. I also think that we shouldn't post all of the types immediately, let's first talk about one and post the other type one or two weeks after, one after the other.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Posting Misdreavus, because it's probably my favorite Ghost-type to use atm. I always used Misdreavus on my BW1 teams, but I started gravitating more towards Haunter at the start of BW2. Right now Drifblim is getting a lot of use due to the huge jump in popularity of Sawsbuck, but Misdreavus is still pretty damn good. In fact, you could say that its gotten better with the absence of Emboar, as it doesn't have to worry about it coming in on Will-O-Wisp and hitting back hard with Flare Blitz. Anyways here is the set:

Misdreavus (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Talk about utility. Great bulk, great Ghost-typing + Levitate, has a quick Taunt, and makes for one of the best spinblockers and counters to Sawk in the tier. While Pain Split is not the most reliable source of recovery, Misdreavus does a pretty good job of using it due to its low HP and lack of Leftovers. Between Will-O-Wisp and Taunt, Missy will be breaking a lot of stall very easily. Missy can prevent the setting up of Stealth Rock or Spikes and wear everything down with a burn. Shadow Ball hits things for decent damage and compounded with the burn damage from Will-O-Wisp can amount to the amount being overwhelmed rather fast.

This is not all Misdreavus can do as it also makes an awesome member of stall with access to Heal Bell and Perish Song while being able to block Rapid Spin from removing your team's precious entry hazards. Missy can even run a Nasty Plot set alongside Substitute, Shadow Ball, and Thunderbolt, but sacrifices a lot of bulk for power.

You can also run Heal Bell over Taunt on Misdreavus if you need it to full more of a cleric role, although I personally prefer Taunt.

I haven't used Drifblim in a long time, but I used to use the CM+ChestoRest Unburden set, and it was a lot of fun. It wasn't the best set, but if it could get set up, it was a lot of fun!

Anyway, Golurk and Misdreavus are definitely the superior ghosts in the tier with Haunter receiving an honorable mention. The Acroblimp Drifblim set seems to be showing up more and more these days as well, and it's definitely a strong set. Otherwise, the quality of ghosts in NU is disappointing. Banette is... pretty bad. Frillish is okay, but definitely outclassed 100% by Missy.

Just a note about these type threads: focus less on the OP, and more on actual discussion about Pokemon of that type. People look for an excuse to add every single Pokemon, and then discussion is not as productive as it could be.

I want to see more posts in this thread like EBeast's. He's a good man.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Missy can even run a Nasty Plot set alongside Substitute, Shadow Ball, and Hidden Power Ground, but sacrifices a lot of bulk for power.
I'd advise you not to run Hidden Power [Ground] since you're completely walled by Braviary and friends. Hidden Power [Fighting] or Thunderbolt is a better option, although you can no longer hit Skuntank as hard.

Celever

i am town
Most people in NU think that for the most part ghosts can be used only for spin-blocking, which I find quite annoying, since it can't be further from the truth. I mean, sure, setting up a load of hazards and then switching to your frillish (punchshroom references are awesome) is nice, as is Banette, just, you know, in general. Most who realize this untrue still believe the majority of ghosts one trick ponies. Well guess what, ghosts are so much more than that. (I just realized how this would be such an awesome opening in the OP, not on purpose :P )
Take drifblim for example, everyone thinks all it can do acrobatics + unburden with destiny bond! Well guess what? I have been running this set for months now, seeing a small amount of flaws with it.

Drifblim @ Flame orb
- Shadow ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden power flying (I know, I know. The dual STAB is nice though, and he learns nothing better)
- Destiny bond

So this is where you hit everything hard and you hit everything fast. If something has set up, but is quite slow, then destiny bond can be my savior. Also great against Golurk.

The surprising versatility of ghosts in NU is something which I think is very unknown. I have even seen sub disable haunter being used well! So yeah, that is what I think of NU ghosts! :)

Also the list of types I can make a thread of would still be nice to have.

SubDisable Haunter is basically what I always expect because it's Standard, and it doesn't bring much diversity to the tier. But it's good.

Most people in NU think that for the most part ghosts can be used only for spin-blocking, which I find quite annoying, since it can't be further from the truth. I mean, sure, setting up a load of hazards and then switching to your frillish (punchshroom references are awesome) is nice, as is Banette, just, you know, in general. Most who realize this untrue still believe the majority of ghosts one trick ponies. Well guess what, ghosts are so much more than that. (I just realized how this would be such an awesome opening in the OP, not on purpose :P )
Take drifblim for example, everyone thinks all it can do acrobatics + unburden with destiny bond! Well guess what? I have been running this set for months now, seeing a small amount of flaws with it.

Drifblim @ Flame orb
- Shadow ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden power flying (I know, I know. The dual STAB is nice though, and he learns nothing better)
- Destiny bond

So this is where you hit everything hard and you hit everything fast. If something has set up, but is quite slow, then destiny bond can be my savior. Also great against Golurk.

The surprising versatility of ghosts in NU is something which I think is very unknown. I have even seen sub disable haunter being used well! So yeah, that is what I think of NU ghosts! :)

Also the list of types I can make a thread of would still be nice to have.
You might want to possibly slash in Trick, allowing you to burn physical attackers that threaten you like Golurk or Skuntank or anything else you could possibly think of, it also helps cripple eviolite users. Hidden Power fighting is also worth a slash if you want better coverage.

Celever

i am town
You might want to possibly slash in Trick, allowing you to burn physical attackers that threaten you like Golurk or Skuntank or anything else you could possibly think of, it also helps cripple eviolite users. Hidden Power fighting is also worth a slash if you want better coverage.
Hey now! That is a really neat idea, can't believe I never thought of it!

Just goes to show the versatility of the NU ghosts! :D

Honestly, Misdreavus is a much more versatile Pokémon than most people give it credit for. I normally just lurk in the forums and don't post much, but I can't help but share this fantastic set I've been using to much success on my stall team.

Misdreavus
Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Spd/ 4 SpAtk
Nature: Timid (+ Spd, - Atk)
-Trick
-Will-o-Wisp
-Taunt
-Shadow Ball

This is, hands down, my absolute favorite Missy set. It has a major advantage in not being very widespread at all, as most people expect the Eviolite set or the SubNP set. The set's main goal is to screw things over and annoy the hell out of everyone, while also functioning as an emergency revenge-killer in a pinch. Most people don't realize that Missy has excellent base 85 Speed, which allows it to speed tie with Scarf Sawk, and outspeed the rest of the unboosted tier (barring Ninjask, which it Tricks/Taunts anyways). The rest of the EVs, I prefer to pour into HP for added bulk, as I like being able to switch Missy in as often as possible, but you may want to adjust the spread accordingly to what suits you.

Trick screws over anything that thinks it can set up on Missy, as well as messing up walls and Stealth Rock leads. It can even take advantage of Eviolite users, hindering them and their bulky playstyle while also drastically increasing its own bulk. It's great for Pokémon that rely greatly upon their items, such as Marowak and Tangela, and it's also useful for neutering threats that abuse broad coverage options, like Samurott and Zangoose. Will-o-Wisp essentially puts physical attackers out of commision for any team lacking a cleric. Taunt may seem redundant with Trick, but it stops hazards and setup entirely, and useful once the scarf is gone. With Trick and Taunt forcing a lot of switches, this set spreads burn incredibly easily. Shadow Ball gives Missy some form of offense, allowing it to break subs and revenge kill weakened threats.

I've tried replacing some moves with more support options, such as Heal Bell and Pain Split, but this generally feels outclassed by the Eviolite set.

Well i guess that is true tennasice =( i guess i just get a little overboard when i see that its not a ohko ill stop posting things like it i guess you do make a great point.

I love using haunter, it has so many options. It can run a sub and 3 moves set, a sub-disable set, here is a set i use sometimes. It works really good :) You might need some spinning support with it though.

Haunter@Focus Sash
252 speed 252 spA 4 hp
Timid Nature
sludge bomb
shadow ball
destiny bond
hypnosis/ thunderbolt

I also like using misdreavus a lot, its one of the few fast walls, while also being a spin-blocker. Its a neat pokemon, but i havent used it too much. What do u think is probaly the best set to use misdreavus at its full potential?

Posting Misdreavus, because it's probably my favorite Ghost-type to use atm. I always used Misdreavus on my BW1 teams, but I started gravitating more towards Haunter at the start of BW2. Right now Drifblim is getting a lot of use due to the huge jump in popularity of Sawsbuck, but Misdreavus is still pretty damn good. In fact, you could say that its gotten better with the absence of Emboar, as it doesn't have to worry about it coming in on Will-O-Wisp and hitting back hard with Flare Blitz. Anyways here is the set:

Misdreavus (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Talk about utility. Great bulk, great Ghost-typing + Levitate, has a quick Taunt, and makes for one of the best spinblockers and counters to Sawk in the tier. While Pain Split is not the most reliable source of recovery, Misdreavus does a pretty good job of using it due to its low HP and lack of Leftovers. Between Will-O-Wisp and Taunt, Missy will be breaking a lot of stall very easily. Missy can prevent the setting up of Stealth Rock or Spikes and wear everything down with a burn. Shadow Ball hits things for decent damage and compounded with the burn damage from Will-O-Wisp can amount to the amount being overwhelmed rather fast.

This is not all Misdreavus can do as it also makes an awesome member of stall with access to Heal Bell and Perish Song while being able to block Rapid Spin from removing your team's precious entry hazards. Missy can even run a Nasty Plot set alongside Substitute, Shadow Ball, and Thunderbolt, but sacrifices a lot of bulk for power.
This is the best set for Misdreavus, so if you would've read above, you wouldn't have asked the question :D

Governess

is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree; I used this set in my most recent match. It works really well, and walls effectively. It would be great if Misdreavus had a better healing source besides Pain Split, but it works just the same.

No ones done anything on shedinja, so i will.

I have been using it on my team for a long time, and it's been great. I use it mainly to force out set-up sweepers and choice users because of it's nifty immunities. Gorebyss and ludicolo (without leech seed >_>) are easily forced out, as well as most volt-turn users. If you do use shedinja, don't just try for a sweep. Switch it in intelligently, and it can really mess up the other team. It also adds a "win condition" as sending it out rarely has the opponent keep in their pokemon. The only problem is that it's incredibly frail. Any hazard or residual damage ruins it entirely. You absolutely need rapid spin support to use shedinja effectively, but it can work wonders.

And one other thing, why has no one mentioned sub-disable drifblim? It gets the same immunities as haunter, and has more HP as well as baton pass and boosting moves.

Governess

No ones done anything on shedinja, so i will.

I have been using it on my team for a long time, and it's been great. I use it mainly to force out set-up sweepers and choice users because of it's nifty immunities. Gorebyss and ludicolo (without leech seed >_>) are easily forced out, as well as most volt-turn users. If you do use shedinja, don't just try for a sweep. Switch it in intelligently, and it can really mess up the other team. It also adds a "win condition" as sending it out rarely has the opponent keep in their pokemon. The only problem is that it's incredibly frail. Any hazard or residual damage ruins it entirely. You absolutely need rapid spin support to use shedinja effectively, but it can work wonders.

And one other thing, why has no one mentioned sub-disable drifblim? It gets the same immunities as haunter, and has more HP as well as baton pass and boosting moves.
Its funny how no one mentioned SubDisable Drifblim; I havent had much experience with that set, so I cant really such much about it.

Shedinja is a very unique Pokemon, though. I battled against a team who had Shedinja, and none of my pokemon had a SE move :< it was a poorly made team on my part, but nonetheless, its very useful in throwing the team off guard.

Shedinja may throw a lot of Pokemon off guard, it's really hard to play with. It needs a lot of support, and quite frankly, I think it's High Risk Low Reward. It should work well with Spikes support, because it can cause a lot of switches. I also never used Shedinja, so I can't tell much.

chalenged said:
I figure the answer to that question is pretty obvious. Haunter does it better, it has better typing (no stealth rock weakness like Drifblim) so it can switch in more often as drifblim won't get many chances if rocks are up, more speed so it can set up substitutes and disable more pokemon in a higher speed tier and it hits harder so it's more threatening behind a substitute.

Sure Drifblim has it's advantages and niches with baton passing and immune to moldbreaker earthquake but haunter just does it better

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Destiny Bond

I am totally loving Nasty Plot Misdreavus. Misdreavus's effectiveness as a defensive supportive spinblocker means that offensive Missy sets go under the radar, but the thing is they are also very effective in their own right. The surprise factor alone can net you kills, as pokes that expected to wall/outspeed Missy scramble about as they try to defeat you without getting maimed by +2 Shadow Balls. Not only is it the only Ghost able to boost its power by 2 (excluding frail-as-hell Shedinja), which is very useful in the Psychic and Golurk infested metagame, its Evioited bulk is also a huge factor on what makes this work. At a nice 85 speed tier (just enough to outspeed Skunk), Missy effectively combines power, bulk, and speed into a mean killing machine. T-bolt helps against cocky Braviary and the assortment of Waters in the tier, while Destiny Bond helps get rid of problem pokes or get a last ditch kill akin to Drifblim, but without that SR weakness and ability to boost. This set blew my mind away and stole the spotlight for my Dark Horse team :P.

Governess

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Destiny Bond

I am totally loving Nasty Plot Misdreavus. Misdreavus's effectiveness as a defensive supportive spinblocker means that offensive Missy sets go under the radar, but the thing is they are also very effective in their own right. The surprise factor alone can net you kills, as pokes that expected to wall/outspeed Missy scramble about as they try to defeat you without getting maimed by +2 Shadow Balls. Not only is it the only Ghost able to boost its power by 2 (excluding frail-as-hell Shedinja), which is very useful in the Psychic and Golurk infested metagame, its Evioited bulk is also a huge factor on what makes this work. At a nice 85 speed tier (just enough to outspeed Skunk), Missy effectively combines power, bulk, and speed into a mean killing machine. T-bolt helps against cocky Braviary and the assortment of Waters in the tier, while Destiny Bond helps get rid of problem pokes or get a last ditch kill akin to Drifblim, but without that SR weakness and ability to boost. This set blew my mind away and stole the spotlight for my Dark Horse team :P.
Just finished using that set in NU, and I must say, it works wonderfully. At first, I was a bit wary of it, not seeing an offensive Misdreavus in quite some time. But after trying it out, it does great, with great defenses and decent Sp.Atk and all. Destiny Bond works great as a last resort with good prediction. Gj. =)

More people need to run the defensive Misdreavus set with max speed, it's fantastic. It's as fast, or faster, than a lot of the most popular physical threats in the tier, throwing around burns with ease, as well as shutting down some of the quicker support/defensive mons in the tier with its faster Taunt.

If you're going max Speed, you're either not using max Def and max HP, thus not being able to take hits as well as with the standard Defensive EV Spread.

If you're going max Speed, you're either not using max Def and max HP, thus not being able to take hits as well as with the standard Defensive EV Spread.
I've not found that to be an issue provided you don't expect it to be a wall. 252HP/252Spe can still tank neutral hits pretty damn well after burning. Adamant CB Sawk can only 4HKO with Stone Edge, for example.

I can see the confusion when I said use the defensive set with max speed, I should have been clearer in saying that I did not intend for such a build to occupy the same role. It makes a bulky, nippy pivot which can severely hamper a lot of common threats.I'm currently hovering around the 1700 mark which is by no means phenomenal, but this set has been instrumental in letting me do even that well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)