Gible [QC Approved 0/2]

GIBLE

Dragon/Ground

[Overview]
  • Base 42 Speed is rather slow compared to many other LC sweepers; in addition, 4x weakness to Ice means Snover pretty much owns variants without Fire Blast
  • Access to EdgeQuake allows for perfect neutral coverage
  • Pretty much plays similarly to a mini-Garchomp, as expected
  • Plays best in sandstorm conditions

[SET]
Name: Choice
Move 1: Outrage
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Stone Edge
Move 4: Dragon Claw/Shadow Claw
Item: Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 132 HP/196 Atk/180 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Outrage and Earthquake provide unresisted dual STAB options
  • Stone Edge rips up any Ice-types stupid enough to switch in
  • Dragon Claw for non-confusing STAB, or Shadow Claw for Coverage

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • With Choice Band, Adamant Gible gets to 26 Attack; Jolly Gible with Choice Scarf reaches 21 Speed
  • Tends to be forced out easily by Shellder and Swinub, who have access to STAB priority in Ice Shard

[SET]
Name: Mixed Sweeper
Move 1: Draco Meteor
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Fire Blast
Move 4: Outrage
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
Nature: Mild/Rash
EVs: 52 HP/116 Atk/196 Sp. Atk/100 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Draco Meteor for special STAB
  • Earthquake for Physical STAB
  • Fire Blast to take out Swinub and Shellder, along with Snover
  • Outrage OHKOs physically defensive, +Def natured Dratini without even factoring in EVs or Life Orb

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Life Orb increases the damage done, but Expert Belt raises power of coverage moves and helps fake a Choice item

[SET]
Name: Sandstorm Abuser
Move 1: Substitute
Move 2: Outrage
Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: Fire Blast/Dragon Claw
Item: Salac Berry/Leftovers
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 96 HP/196 Atk/36 Sp. Atk/180 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Absolutely dominant in sand
  • Substitute down to Salac boost, then proceed to sweep
  • Outrage and Earthquake, obviously, are for STAB
  • Fire Blast for Ice-types, Bronzor, and Snover

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Hippopotas sets up sandstorm to get Gible going
  • Snover is a MAJOR threat, as it can negate the sand, which may prove costly if Hippo is down

[Team Options]
  • Gible becomes a beast in sandstorm; Hippopotas' ability greatly helps it
  • Needs something bulky to sponge Ice hits, such as Slowpoke
  • Magnemite traps Steels that switch into Choice-locked Outrage and try to set up

[Optional Changes]
  • Fairly shallow movepool, as it doesn't get a lot of the toys Garchomp does
  • Dragon Pulse is an option on the Mixed set over Draco Meteor if the sharp decline in Special Attack is unappealing
  • Flamethrower can net KOs a little easier than Fire Blast, but expect a sharp decline in power

[Counters]
  • Shellder running 196/196/0 defenses can come in, survive Earthquake to Shell Smash, and Ice Shard for the KO
  • Snover rapes non-Fire Blast Gible
  • Anything running Draco Meteor and/or Ice Beam kills Gible easily outside of Sandstorm
  • Inside Sandstorm, Drillbur outspeeds and kills Gible

[Dream World]
  • Rough Skin's main use is to break physical Focus Sashers like lead Dratini
  • Otherwise useless, especially in sand

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You should include magnemite as a team mate to trap steel types. I don't get the point of HP ice on the mixed set. Why no mention of LO? Mention what Attack with Choice Band and what speed with Choice Scarf. Mention its weaknesses in the overview.

I don't get the point of HP ice on the mixed set.
As the bullet point says, HP Ice with 196 EVs in Special Attack 2HKOs Dratini.

As far as the rest of it goes, I've edited it. Sorry, but I wasn't quite focusing when I first posted this thread...

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As the bullet point says, HP Ice with 196 EVs in Special Attack 2HKOs Dratini.

As far as the rest of it goes, I've edited it. Sorry, but I wasn't quite focusing when I first posted this thread...
Why use an alternate Hidden Power when you can hit Dratini easily enough with your STAB move? If you are worried enough to actually wanna hit an uncommon pokemon without losing special attack due to Draco Meteor, you may as well use Dragon Pulse. (STAB Dragon Pulse hits for comparable neutral damage to a super effective Hidden Power Ice anyways.)

Also mention Flamethrower in Optional Changes. (Some people aren't keen on using Fire Blast when Flamethrower is a choice, particularly if Fire blast doesn't get KO's that Flamethrower can as well.)

You mention access to "EdgeQuake," while its two STABs provide better coverage anyway. Plus, Swords Dance should probably be on the abuser set.
And this needs three checks, not two.

I really don't think you've tested any of these sets (the first one is almost OK, I guess. It's missing Fire Blast (Tesshido exists)).

Comments like these make me doubt that you've played in the metagame:

• Access to EdgeQuake allows for perfect neutral coverage
  • Pretty much plays similarly to a mini-Garchomp, as expected
EdgeQuake is not even remotely the selling point of Gible. It's neutral coverage is better with its STABs. And if you've ever used Garchomp....or Gible for that matter...you would certainly not say it plays similar.

• Outrage and Earthquake provide unresisted dual STAB options
  • Dragon Claw for non-confusing STAB, or Shadow Claw for Coverage
STABs are actually resisted by Bronzor. Super effective Shadow Claw is actually weaker than neutral Outrage and Earthquake.

• Tends to be forced out easily by Shellder and Swinub, who have access to STAB priority in Ice Shard
If you have honestly played gen 5 little cup, Swinub is not something you'd mention. Keep it at Snover.

• Life Orb increases the damage done, but Expert Belt raises power of coverage moves and helps fake a Choice item
Expert Belt is basically useless against something abusing mostly Neutral coverage except for one super effective move.

• Absolutely dominant in sand
Definitely not.

You should actually try some of the sets out that you posted, you would see that they are not going to cut it at all. Hidden Power Ice is actually useful in my experience because Gligar is so common. The only sets I'd suggest are Scarf and Band.

If you want / need any help with anything, feel free to come on #littlecup on IRC.

You say that the Sandstorm Abuser set is greatly harmed by Snover, so mentioning Wynaut in Team Options would be a good idea.

Ferroseed has great synergy, and can set up Spikes, allowing Gible to defeat opposing Pokemon easier, so I think it deserves a mention.

Since Gible only hits 12 Speed on the Mixed Sweeper set, I think you could mention in Additional Comments that Trick Room support could aid Gible in sweeping. With a Quiet nature and 0 Speed IVs, it hits 8 Speed, which is quite slow, allowing it to finish Pokemon off if they survive the Draco Meteor. Bronzor is a great candidate for this role, being able to set up both Stealth Rock and Trick Room, as well as having great synergy (they both resist each other's weaknesses), both aiding Gible in it's role.

Summary of the changes:

- Mention Wynaut in Team Options
- Mention Ferroseed in Team Options
- Mention Trick Room can be helpful for the Mixed Sweeper set
- Mention Bronzor in Team Options, make sure you explain that it can set up Stealth Rock and Trick Room, and has great synergy

Once you make all those changes, let me know, and I will stamp this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)