Gimmicks you wish worked better

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
-Mega Kangaskhan... she was my best friend in the game. I loved her so much. When she was banned, it hurt me on a personal level, but I couldn't argue with the facts - Parental Bond is broken.
Technically, if anything, that's a gimmick you wish worked worse so you could still use it.
I really, really wish that every Pokemon was viable with their signature moves. Things like Bonemerang on Marowak, Electroweb Galvantula, Octazooka on Octillery, Mist Ball/Luster Purge...the list goes on.
I'd forgotten Lati@s even had signature moves...

I would say I'd like Level 1 Pokemon to work better, but I get enough satisfaction out of them in the Battle Mansion. Also, I believe Taillow is underrated.

I wish Scarfed Special Attacking Snorlax was viable so I'd have an excuse for mistaking a Zoroark for one...

Attract
Power & Guard Swap
Heal Block
Copycat

Any item that isn't life orb, choice stuff, leftovers, megastones etc.

And pretty much any ability that's made obsolete thanks to superior alternatives.

Shedinja wouldn't be half as bad if Wonder Guard granted it an immunity to hazards (damaging ones, at least), and to weather.
Yeah, if Wonder Guard had Magic Guard's immunities, Shedinja would be a lot more useful. At least when it comes to countering Kyogre.

One gimmick I think would be fun to use if it had a tad more speed is Zen Mode Darmanitan. Decent bulk, amazing special attack, and a huge move pool.

Edit: Also the fact that it requires to be below half health is really bad.

Last edited:
I feel as though they should've swapped Zen Mode and Normal Mode in terms of what's used first. If the more bulky Zen Mode were first, things like Belly Drum Zen Darm might actually be viable. Also, from a concept perspective it wouldn't be too farfetched--Zen Modes eyes are blanked out, symbolizing a job undone. Once both eyes are filled, the job is complete. It'd make sense if the daruma doll with blank eyes would be out first, right?

I feel as though they should've swapped Zen Mode and Normal Mode in terms of what's used first. If the more bulky Zen Mode were first, things like Belly Drum Zen Darm might actually be viable. Also, from a concept perspective it wouldn't be too farfetched--Zen Modes eyes are blanked out, symbolizing a job undone. Once both eyes are filled, the job is complete. It'd make sense if the daruma doll with blank eyes would be out first, right?
Taking into account Normal Mode's defenses, Zen Mode is hardly ever seen. So yes, I agree with you.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Any item that isn't life orb, choice stuff, leftovers, megastones etc.
All of those sans LO and Megastones are rare in doubles and Battle Spot. You'd be surprised at the creative items people use outside of the 6v6 singles environment. I thank Mega Kanga every day for killing Yache Berry Chomp though.

Not so much a gimmick, but I wish Delcatty's stats weren't ass. She has an AMAZING movepool, but no presence to use it with.

I also with you could make the terrains last longer. I REALLY like the electric one and would totally build a team for it

That would be nice. Skitty/ Delcatty were always just awful no matter how you'd spin it. In R/S/E, you might as well have wasted your moonstone on the nearby Jigglypuff on route 116, since even Wigglytuff had better offenses and arguably better bulk. Wigglytuff, of all things!

Also, I wish Normalize (the true gimmick) on Delcatty at the very least would have a boost on moves like Refrigerate, Aerialate, and Pixilate have. Normal is an awful awful type to be locked into, so at the very least a small boost could be in order. The only use (which I use lightly) it really has at the moment is a Thunder-Wave that can get past Ground types outside of the almighty Stunfisk. As if most ground types need to be paralyzed.

I don't believe anyone's brought up Cherrim's Flower Gift yet. I find it really fun to try out in the Doubles matches where it's meant to be used in, but Cherrim itself is fairly lacking. Flower Gift is a wonderful ability, and Sunshine-Cherrim I find to be both adorable and creative. Given the opportunity, it can support with Helping Hand, Heal Pulse, and Aromatherapy and hit hard with its now boosted Attack stat using Nature Power and Seed Bomb. In Singles, it could try to go solo with a Swords Dance set if it weren't outdone by so much competition. There's just way too many sun sweepers out there that give it a run for its money.

That said, it looks like GF has left our little cherry blossom to fall to the ground and die. Nature Power is no longer Earthquake, but Tri Attack. Sun's been nerfed quite a bit, although that's not as much of an issue in doubles when you consider the much faster pace. Cherrim's base 85 speed isn't boosted by Chlorophyll like Cherubi's speed is, so keeping it alive is a chore. That said, nothing is more satisfying than when you send out two Cherrim and a Groudon in a Triples match, effectively doubling its Attack and Special Defense right from the get-go. It can then proceed to spam Earthquake and Eruption without a care in the world, while his flower friends either boost him up even further with Helping Hand, or Protect themselves for their lives. :D

Last edited:
The Chansey "Lucky Punch" Glove just seems odd. It boosts their crit rate by 2 (+1/8) so attacks will do 1.5 damage more often and ignore defense boosts. I feel they wanted to move Chansey or even Blissey away from being only special walls and give them an item that made their attack better but they don't get any bonus crit attacks or anything that hits multiple times and they have to give up on eviolite. Also, Chansey has no attack stats between a 5 in physical damage and 35 for special attacks, it would still rather use Seismic Toss. Not to mention, 50 speed is getting close to the "Give up and join a Trick Room team" speed tier so anyone with a physical attack will destroy Chansey as usual, now w/o eviolite.

The Chansey "Lucky Punch" Glove just seems odd. It boosts their crit rate by 2 (+1/8) so attacks will do 1.5 damage more often and ignore defense boosts. I feel they wanted to move Chansey or even Blissey away from being only special walls and give them an item that made their attack better but they don't get any bonus crit attacks or anything that hits multiple times and they have to give up on eviolite. Also, Chansey has no attack stats between a 5 in physical damage and 35 for special attacks, it would still rather use Seismic Toss. Not to mention, 50 speed is getting close to the "Give up and join a Trick Room team" speed tier so anyone with a physical attack will destroy Chansey as usual, now w/o eviolite.
I feel that if the item worked on Blissey too, it could see more potential, as some people (including myself) have used offensive Blissey at some point, and it has worked out decently well, pairing Ice Beam and Serene Grace is fun. However you'd miss on lefties recovery, which on Blissey's case, is not good at all. I mean, Softboiled is realiable, but on an offensive set you're basically giving the opponent a free turn as you recover.

Also, Stick Farfetch'd sorta floats in the same boat. Crits now will always land when Farfetch'd uses a move like Slash, Leaf Blade, or Night Slash, without the need for Focus Energy. But, his stats are simply too awful to justify its use, and it lacks the Sniper and high power STAB that makes Focus Energy Kingdra viable.

Also, Stick Farfetch'd sorta floats in the same boat. Crits now will always land when Farfetch'd uses a move like Slash, Leaf Blade, or Night Slash, without the need for Focus Energy. But, his stats are simply too awful to justify its use, and it lacks the Sniper and high power STAB that makes Focus Energy Kingdra viable.
He can use Swords Dance late game when most of the fast threats are gone and attempt to sweep, but he is still really darn slow.

In the same boat, Raichu would be amusingly viable with Light Ball access. Deoxys-A level offenses lgi

He can use Swords Dance late game when most of the fast threats are gone and attempt to sweep, but he is still really darn slow.
Not to mention very very frail. It'd be a miracle if he managed to set up, since not much is scared off by a Farfetch'd. :c

Farfetch'd can sweep but he just need a little bit of support. First the whole opposing team must be paralyzed to let Farfetch'd outspeed anything. Second everything with base 60 defense or higher must be killed because Farfetch'd can't hit them hard enough. Third you need to bring him is safely through some miracle or something. And if you can then maybe get off a swords dance you can sweep.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I thought spinda could be usable after contrary superpower was released, too bad its 60 stats screw it over as well as it being illegal with its amazing egg moves (rapid spin, encore, baton pass, trick).

Castform as well. If only it got a spattk and speed boost in the weather, or even a flat out stat buff

I'td be cool if moves like Flail and Reversal could be made viable, but honestly you really don't want to be taking chances that they require

I'td be cool if moves like Flail and Reversal could be made viable, but honestly you really don't want to be taking chances that they require
In generation 3 those moves were viable because the only priority to screw up your sweep was quick attack and quick attack is pretty stupid.

I'd like to see 'team' Pokemon actually benefit from each other, aside from Plusle and Minun which actually do help each other. But guys like Lunatone and Solrock, or Volbeat and Illumise. They were obviously created for flavour reasons when they introduced double battles, but they don't do anything for each other.

Not so much a gimmick as just an odd design choice that could have been a gimmick.

I'd like to see 'team' Pokemon actually benefit from each other, aside from Plusle and Minun which actually do help each other. But guys like Lunatone and Solrock, or Volbeat and Illumise. They were obviously created for flavour reasons when they introduced double battles, but they don't do anything for each other.

Not so much a gimmick as just an odd design choice that could have been a gimmick.
Plus and Minus ability is ok but it can only be useful if you have 2 specific electric pokemon together in a double battle, not mentioning Plusle and Minun have bad stats if they don't get that boost. Atleast the Pikachu clones get chemistry when paired up making them more viable in doubles over singles. Volbeat and Illumise aren't great together but after getting prankster can do a few support things on their own.

Why use Lunatone/Solrock over anyone else? Their moves are ok but nothing no one else has, levitate isn't especially unique but works, their base stats aren't pretty, rock was almost never a great typing, their best strategies now are baton passing buffs or exploiting trick room, but they're a matching set of the moon and sun and you can get one from either version pf Ruby and Sapphire. They made a gym based around this pairing for doubles AFTER you just surfed to the island. If this battle was before you got the best water attack HM for double battles maybe they could have pretended these two were a good pairing for the new battle style they were made for. Outside of doubles they suck, but when paired together they look better even if it's not a good pairing.

Farfetch'd can sweep but he just need a little bit of support. First the whole opposing team must be paralyzed to let Farfetch'd outspeed anything. Second everything with base 60 defense or higher must be killed because Farfetch'd can't hit them hard enough. Third you need to bring him is safely through some miracle or something. And if you can then maybe get off a swords dance you can sweep.
I have a feeling that you're being sarcastic when you say "a little" support. :P Correct me if I'm wrong though.

That aside, there are plenty of other sweepers who can actually dispose of Electric types and stuff bulkier than Spinda without nearly as much support. He's outclassed by even Light Ball Pikachu. So the Stick still kinda sucks. :c Maybe if they doubled his attack like those other items, it would be considered, but we'd still have the issue of being slow and frail.

I feel as though Lunatone/ Solrock just got the shortest end of the stick possible. Generic movepools, generic abilities, terrible stats, and even more terrible placement in the game, as Petrico pointed out. The one thing unique about them, the typing, is absolute trash competitively. So yes, it would be nice if they got some kind of gimmick to make them more memorable like Plusle and Minun, who are already forgettable as-is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)