1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

glen's thoughts - a firebot special - im back `~`

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Glen, Feb 5, 2008.

1. GTS

GTS

glen, I truly miss our MSN conversations at this point in time. Come back.
    You've gotten me hooked on WHY? so bad it isn't funny...
  2. Glen

Glen
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

some mother wonts bump well are alls a chikens
  3. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

This is so poetic, it's bordering on painful.

This too.

Oh my GOD, this hurts SO much.
  4. Sklez

Sklez

Dang you are telling me things about my own country that I didn't know or never though about. This has basically reinforced my opinion that travel is completely necessary for me some time soon.

Oh and I love how you can put humorous things together with meaningful statements, its quite special.
  5. monkfish

monkfish what are birds?

glen i really like this topic
  6. Minwu

Minwu

I'd name my band Noah's Shark
  7. Glen

Glen

bump

also i really dont mean to be rude by not responding to people, things have been really hectic

ill make time for it i promise
  8. Thunderpup

Thunderpup

i hate the feeling that i'm not going to explore these new countries and cultures and meet all these new people like you

and

even if i did i wouldn't get as much out of it
    i feel insecure now
  9. Invective

Invective

hey, me too, moms japanese, dads white. it sucks for me cuz most of my friends are full asian, so i always stand out. even my half asian friends all look asian. i hate being the one different person in the group. i hate that feeling, knowing that you are the odd one out.
    just two weeks ago, i was at my church picnic and we were doing icebreaker games. so we're playing "i love my neighbor who ____". for those of you who dont know the game, theres a big group of people in a circle and one person in the middle who says i love my neighbor who ___ and then you fill in the blank with a description of some sort and if the description matches you, you have to move to a switch places in the circle with someone else it describes. so were playing, and then the middle person says i love my neighbor who has black hair. so im like, ok, thats everybody except me. then the next one called is i love my neighbor who has blue eyes. alright. again, everybody but me. those two acts made me feel so fucking lonely. i hid it at the picnic, but just knowing that at my entire church, i was the only one like me. that im the only one with brown hair. that im the only one with green eyes. knowing that i will never fit in like everybody else. just knowing that makes me feel alone. ive always wanted too know what its like to fit in. to not be stared at, to not have every fucking person ask about my race. it gets fucking annoying.

sorry for the rant, i just needed to vent. basically, im wondering if you, as a fellow half asian who doesnt look asian ever feel like that.
  10. hybrid

hybrid

11. Glen

Glen

i don't know if i'll be updating this anymore now that my trip is finished, but i might feel inspired again

thank you all for your support, and i want you to know that i meant every word i wrote itt!
  12. Jenigmat

Jenigmat

Glen, thanks man. This is fucking beautiful.
  13. Nate

Nate
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I liked it a lot glen.

This friday I'm leaving for beijing without any plan or place to stay beyond the first three nights. Hopefully my trip ends up as rewarding as yours seems to have been.
  14. Lawman

Lawman

Glen, you are truly one of the deepest individuals I know of. Though a lot of this thread was funny, I found more of it deep and touching. I want to thank you for writing this, as it helped me rethink many big parts of my life which I have been overlooking. It would be a hell of an honor if sometime in life I could ever meet you in person, because, as corny as it may sound, you are a very inspirational person to me after thinking about all of those things you said.

Thank you. Good luck in any further adventures you have in life.
  15. DeLorean

DeLorean

I read this over and over and over, and I now find myself hanging on your every word.

Ok, so now go to africa or europe for twelve years and write about it.

Love,

-xaio
  16. Mr. Hadwick

Mr. Hadwick

Glen, you're stories changed my mind about wanting to go to japan, before I wanted to go for their anime and culture, now I want to go for the people.
  17. the Lexx

the Lexx

Love this thread. I don't think I've felt inspired this much in a while.
  18. Doomsday

Doomsday

My thoughts on this thread haven't changed, it is really entertaining. would read again thoroughly (and probably will)
  19. Thunderpup

Thunderpup

I got a shout out in glen's firebot special
    hell yes

I really appreciate this thread, and what you've done glen.
    Really, thank you for doing this
    I mean communicating the whole adventure back to us
    It really gives me a sense of shared experience, even though I didn't go
    and I really do want to try it.

And while I still feel really scared about the idea, I feel like it would be a thrill.
    Just like the way you watch a scary movie even knowing it's going to scare you.
  20. Llama

Llama

The second I read the bold I thought Palahniuk. Couldn't remember what book it was from at first, but its Choke. Not the word rape but throughout the book you'll see " " isnt the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind.

Well your writing style and what your writing about is just... transcendent. That may be too strong a word, but it gets the point across.

This also makes you kinda look at your life and, at least in my case causes you to feel like there is more that you should be doing.
  21. umbarsc

umbarsc

I read this thinking about how I have not traveled much at all in my life. My only experience going to foreign countries was going to Niagra Falls when I was like 11, and I can count the number of states I've been to on one hand.

And it makes me depressed. Even though my mom was adventurous and liked to travel, I'm just like my dad, who is as boring as I am.
  22. Steelicks

Steelicks Come here and Battle me!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

so where is the "steelicks and glen meet" thread
  23. Dan Dan

Dan Dan

id like to join in the stream of conscious thoughts....but mines so clouded all the time that i cant ever get anything out in the right way. my mindand reality are separate entities most of the time; the ideal situation (in my mind) and what happens (reality), and all the thinking that goes on between the two events usually prevents from what really happens from happening. basically i talk myself out of doing everything. be it go out for the evening, clean my room, not buy weed today (its payday in another month.........) get a fucking haircut because of how long its been since i actually had one that the people would just laugh and shit when i go in.

glen i thought you were older than 19!
  24. Glen

Glen

a few more f_F
  25. Swaggersaurus

Swaggersaurus I DON'T NEED A MAN
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

the first and last points hit particularly close to home for me

once again you seem to have gotten the perfect mix of profound insights into life (your own and otherwise) with more... idk, small-scale everyday zany stuff. i don't say zany. idk what it is but i really like it and how you do it, whether or not it is intentional or for any particular effect

on the cyanide apple note, though, i was always told that was what the apple in their logo represented. ?_? when was this denied?

edit: i keep coming back to this post wanting to give you more of a response because to be honest with you this one feels really "throw away", but all i keep thinking is that your signature hurts

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)