UU Gligar

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Overview
########

Gligar is a great Pokemon in the UU metagame, boasting awesome 65 / 105 / 65 defenses coupled a typing that gives Gligar immunities to Ground and Electric and resistances to common types in UU, such as Bug and Fighting. Thanks to its typing, it is also the only Flying-type in UU that isn't weak to Stealth Rock, making it a reliable Defogger, as it isn't worn down as easily as other common Defoggers in UU. It also sports an impressive support movepool with moves such as Taunt, Knock Off, U-turn, Stealth Rock, Defog, and Roost.

While it has an amazing movepool, typing, and stats, Gligar has its share of flaws. Gligar's reliance on Eviolite for its bulk means it must watch out for Knock Off, which runs rampant throughout UU. Knock Off is also a common coverage move on a lot of Fighting-types that Gligar would otherwise have no trouble switching into. Another problem Gligar has is that while it is one of the most reliable Defoggers, its preferred ability, Immunity, is illegal in conjuction with Defog. Gligar's 4x weakness to Ice can be problematic when trying to fit it onto teams. Another flaw is its poor offensive potential, meaning U-turn is almost a necessity to maintain momentum.

Standard
########
name: Standard
move 1: Roost
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Defog / Stealth Rock
move 4: U-turn / Stealth Rock
ability: Hyper Cutter / Immunity
item: Eviolite
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
nature: Impish

Moves
========

Roost is used for reliable recovery and to weaken the blow of an incoming Ice-type move if needed. Earthquake hits for a nice amount of damage against threats that Gligar tends to wall, such as Lucario, Darmanitan, and Entei. Gligar can reliably use Defog multiple times throughout the match thanks to Roost and U-turn. Stealth Rock can be used over Defog if the support isn't needed. U-turn allows Gligar to switch out and into an appropriate check or counter after Defogging, maintaining momentum. Stealth Rock can be used instead if you want the entry hazard support alongside Defog.

Set Details
========

This set aims to take advantage of Gligar's amazing bulk, thanks to Eviolite, and typing to reliably get rid of entry hazards multiple times throughout the match. Eviolite boosts Gligar's defensive stats by 50%, allowing it to tank many non-STAB Ice-type moves. The EV spread allows Gligar to make use of its impressive base 105 Defense stat and nice resistances to Bug and Fighting. Hyper Cutter must be used in conjunction with Defog; if Defog is not being used, then Gligar should Immunity, which is the better ability. 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD is an alternate spread that is geared toward patching up Gligar's average base 65 Special Defense stat, allowing it to tank hits from the likes of Life Orb Hydreigon. An Impish nature must be used with this particular spread to allow Gligar to hit a jump point in Defense while increasing its overall bulk. This spread takes on Mega Ampharos better as well, as Dragon Pulse can only 3HKO while Gligar can 2HKO standard Mega Ampharos with Earthquake after Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be brought in on a Fighting-type Pokemon such as Heracross or Mienshao, as both cannot stand to beat Gligar if locked into one of their STAB moves. Gligar must, however, watch out for Knock Off, which can cripple Gligar for the rest of the match. This set can also come in on a stray Thunder Wave or other Electric-type move and proceed to gain momentum via U-turn or Defog entry hazards away.

Team Options
========

Water-types are great partners for Gligar, as they can switch into the Water- and Ice-type moves, while Gligar covers Electric- and Grass-types for them. Vaporeon is a particularly good partner, as it can provide Wish support and is also immune to Water-type moves thanks to its Water Absorb ability. Special walls, such as Blissey and Umbreon, complement Gligar's natural physical bulk with their natural special bulk. Both also provide Heal Bell and Wish support, increasing Gligar's longevity. This set tends to shine on balanced teams that can afford having to cover weaknesses to Water- and Ice-type moves and need a solid Defogger that isn't weak to Electric or Rock.

Other Options
########

Swords Dance + Baton Pass is a viable strategy for Gligar, as Gligar's typing, coupled with Eviolite, allows it to take hits fairly easily, set up, pass +2 attack to a teammate. Although Gligar is bulky enough to take repeated hits, Baton Pass in itself is a niche strategy. Taunt can be used with a faster EV spread, as Gligar outspeeds a lot of walls and can easily force them out after it used Taunt. Toxic + Immunity can be used to outstall a lot of Pokemon, as with Immunity, a burn is the only status effect that can wear Gligar down, and Toxic puts the foe on a turn-by-turn timer. Knock Off cripples other walls that may switch into Gligar. Acrobatics can be used in place of Earthquake to check Swords Dance Heracross better, as it tends use Knock Off or Swords Dance when facing Gligar.

Checks & Counters
########

**Knock Off**: Knock Off is extremely common in the UU metagame, and as such, Gligar must be wary of losing its Eviolite, which highly compromises its bulk.

**Bulky Water-types**: Water-types such as Vaporeon are great switch-ins to Gligar, as they can not switch into any of Gligar's attacks, but also use their effective STAB moves with which to hit Gligar for great damage.

**Setup Sweepers**: Most setup sweepers, such as Calm Mind Reuniclus, Calm Mind Cresselia, Hone Claws Mega Aerodactyl, and Dragon Dance Salamence, can easily set up on Gligar, especially if it lacks U-turn, as Gligar has poor offensive potential. Substitute setup sweepers in particular, such as Substitute + Calm Mind Suicune, give Gligar trouble, as its U-turn cannot break their Substitutes.

**Status**: While it is immune to Thunder Wave, burns still cripple Gligar, putting it on a timer while weakening the power of its moves. Toxic can also hit non-Immunity variants of Gligar, pressuring it even more.

**Taunt**: Gligar is severly hampered by Taunt, and there are many faster Taunt users in UU, such as Krookodile, Crobat, and Mega Aerodactyl.

Last edited:
I like SDef Gligar, but I believe the physically defensive spread is better in the current metagame. Gligar needs the Def EVs to deal with some threats better, for example Honchkrow, Mega Absol, Darmanitan, and even Salamence. Also if Gligar loses its eviolite, Pokemon like Mienshao and non-SD Heracross can break through Sdef Gligar if it isn't healthy, which basically forces you to Roost every time you take a hit and this makes you lose momentum.

I'd put the physically defensive spread in the main set, and mention the alternate spread in Set Details.

Knock Off in OO.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I like SDef Gligar, but I believe the physically defensive spread is better in the current metagame. Gligar needs the Def EVs to deal with some threats better, for example Honchkrow, Mega Absol, Darmanitan, and even Salamence. Also if Gligar loses its eviolite, Pokemon like Mienshao and non-SD Heracross can break through Sdef Gligar if it isn't healthy, which basically forces you to Roost every time you take a hit and this makes you lose momentum.

I'd put the physically defensive spread in the main set, and mention the alternate spread in Set Details.

Knock Off in OO.
Ok I added Knock Off to OO, but...

Hikari What exactly is the Phys Def spread as I have always used the SDef spread in UU and never really ran Phys Def Gar? I am assuming 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD Careful nature, but not sure

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I would definitely mention that defog is not compatable with the immunity ability (gen 4 tm and dream world/gen 6 horde), because as soon as you know your opponent has defog on gligar, it's vulnerable to toxic which imo is significant.

QC 1/3

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
The order of the moves should be Roost / Earthquake / Utility / Utility

And I would also remove Mega Aggron as a C&C... unless it has Toxic, it's going to eventually lose. Toxic is made unreliable by Immunity variants and even SpDef Gligar is only 3HKO'd, but faster so it can roost.

Reactions: nv
I guess CroGron (or whatever it's called) wins, but that's looking too deeply into it, so I agree with Meru.

I'd add Acrobatics somewhere, too, prolly OO, since it takes advantage of the Knock Off popularity and it lets Gligar check SD Heracross better.

Also in C&C you should definitely add a section with boosting sweepers, especially those that run Sub, since they can use Gligar (particularly non-U-turn variants) as setup bait. I'm thinking stuff like Cune, Mence, and MAero.

nv

The Lost Age
The order of the moves should be Roost / Earthquake / Utility / Utility

And I would also remove Mega Aggron as a C&C... unless it has Toxic, it's going to eventually lose. Toxic is made unreliable by Immunity variants and even SpDef Gligar is only 3HKO'd, but faster so it can roost.
Thanks Meru. To be honest the order of the moves was a bit up in the air, especially since if it doesn't Defog, it'll want to run Immunity (not saying you would run Gligar without Defog, but Gar is p good even without Defog, lol). Also Mega Aggron has been removed from C&C for the reasons you stated.

I guess CroGron (or whatever it's called) wins, but that's looking too deeply into it, so I agree with Meru.

I'd add Acrobatics somewhere, too, prolly OO, since it takes advantage of the Knock Off popularity and it lets Gligar check SD Heracross better.

Also in C&C you should definitely add a section with boosting sweepers, especially those that run Sub, since they can use Gligar (particularly non-U-turn variants) as setup bait. I'm thinking stuff like Cune, Mence, and MAero.
CroGron would file under "setup sweepers" like you mentioned later in your post. Also Acrobatics was put in OO for the reasons you stated. And Setup Sweepers were added to C&C for the reasons you stated.

Now let's get that second QC check, lol.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I'd change the last C&C to just Status, and mention that that Toxic bones non-Immunity variants, just to make it all-encompassing, as some Gligar variants do run Defog.

I'd also change the Set-up Sweepers to not include Suicune, as that already falls under Water-types. I'd remove the Substitute mention and just include Set-up sweepers like CM Reuniclus/Cress, Hone Claws Mega Aerodactyl, and Dragon Dance Salamence, and mention that the reason why it loses to these is because of its poor offensive presence (put that in the overview as a downside too because that is a huge aspect of Gligar).

And finally, I don't like the name Vampire Bat. Just do something along the lines of "Physically Defensive"

QC 2/3

nv

The Lost Age
I'd change the last C&C to just Status, and mention that that Toxic bones non-Immunity variants, just to make it all-encompassing, as some Gligar variants do run Defog.

I'd also change the Set-up Sweepers to not include Suicune, as that already falls under Water-types. I'd remove the Substitute mention and just include Set-up sweepers like CM Reuniclus/Cress, Hone Claws Mega Aerodactyl, and Dragon Dance Salamence, and mention that the reason why it loses to these is because of its poor offensive presence (put that in the overview as a downside too because that is a huge aspect of Gligar).

And finally, I don't like the name Vampire Bat. Just do something along the lines of "Physically Defensive"

QC 2/3
Thanks Meru. I will write this up as soon as I can. :)

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
"This set tends to shine on balanced teams that need a solid Defogger that isn't weak to Electric- or Rock-type moves, but can afford the Water- and Ice-type weakness."

This belongs in team options :P

Physically Defensive gives out the idea that there's gonna be a Specially Defensive set (which is definitely viable, obviously, just not a set on its own), though. I'd rather simply call it Standard or w/e. Also Cune can technically be on setup sweepers too because we're talking particularly about CM, but if anything, take it out of Bulky Water-types when you put examples. The point on Sub was to set up on Toxic Gligar, but also to prevent the U-turn --> something faster that can KO—which is what Bat is gonna be doing against setup sweepers when it's used on faster paced teams.

248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD is geared toward patching up Gligar's average base 65 Special Defense stat, allowing to tank hits from the likes of Life Orb Hydreigon and so on.
Make sure to state that this is an alternate spread, and that an Impish nature should be used for this.

However, Gligar isn't bulky enough to take repeated hits and Baton Pass is an overall gimmicky strategy.
I don't think this is necessary since Gligar is definitely bulky enough to take multiple hits and also has reliable recovery (comparing it to other SD pass mons at least) and SD BP is niche, but not gimmicky (gimmicky would be like full out offensive Gligar).

Also add Taunt to checks and counters since it allows many Pokemon to 1v1 Gligar, such as Krookodile, Crobat, and Mega Aerodactyl.

Lemme know when you've implemented this along with what Ernesto said!

Edit: QC 3/3

Last edited:

Meru

ate them up
Doesn't the SpDef set run Careful? Otherwise dodmen hit the nail on the head with everything he said.

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 187-222 (56.1 - 66.6%)
-2 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 94-110 (28.2 - 33%)
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 244+ SpD Eviolite Gligar: 172-203 (51.6 - 60.9%)
-2 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 244+ SpD Eviolite Gligar: 86-101 (25.8 - 30.3%)

252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 244+ SpD Eviolite Gligar: 117-138 (35.1 - 41.4%)
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 127-150 (38.1 - 45%)

Honestly it makes a pretty small difference because of Gligar's low SpDef stat - both sets have a chance to get 2HKOd by LO Hydreigon after Rocks (though it sucks that Impish has a much higher chance) and both can easily switch into and stall out Mega Ampharos. SpDef Impish Gligar can still comfortably take hits from Nasty Plot Lucario, Mega Sceptile, and other special attackers.

I think while in the past Careful was better in the past to take less overall damage special attackers like these, Heracross in the tier along with other threatening physical stuff like Mega Beedrill warrants Impish and gives it a nice balanced/mixed bulk.

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
add or lowercase or Capitalize / remove / my comments

Overview
########

Gligar's is a great Pokemon in the metagame, using its boasting awesome 65 / 105 / 65 defenses coupled with Eviolite and its an amazing typing, which that makes Gligar immune to Ground- and Electric-types and resistant to common types in UU, such as Fighting- and Bug-type. Thanks to its typing, it is also the only Flying-type in UU that isn't weak to Stealth Rock, making it a reliable Defogger,(AC) as it isn't worn down as easily as other common Defoggers in UU. It also sports an impressive support movepool with moves such as Taunt, Knock Off, U-turn, Stealth Rock, Defog, and Roost.

While it has an amazing movepool, typing, and stats, it has its share of flaws. Its reliance of on Eviolite for its bulk means it must watch out for Knock Off, which runs rampant throughout UU. It also is a common coverage move on a lot of Fighting-types that it Gligar otherwise walls. Another problem it Gligar has is that while it is one of the most reliable Defoggers, it cannot run the its preferred ability it wants to run: Immunity. This is because Immunity is a Dream World / Generation 6 Horde ability,(AC) while Defog is a Generation 4 HM. Another flaw Gligar has is its 4x weakness to Ice, which can be problem when trying to fit it on teams. Another flaw it has is its poor offensive pressure potential, ("offensive pressure" isn't the optimal phrasing in this context) meaning U-turn is almost a necessity so as to not lose to maintain momentum.

Standard
########

Moves
========

Roost is used for reliable recovery and to weaken the blow of an incoming Ice-type move if needed. Earthquake is the obvious STAB move, hitting hits for a nice amount of damage against threats that it Gligar tends to wall, such as Lucario, Darmanitan, and Entei. Defog is in the third slot and is the main goal of move on this set,(AC) as Gligar can reliably do use it multiple times throughout the match thanks to Roost and U-turn. Stealth Rock can be used over Defog if the support isn't needed; if so, run Immunity,(AC) as that is the better ability. U-turn grabs the last slot, allowing allows Gligar to switch out of a Pokemon after Defogging and send in an appropriate check or counter. Stealth Rock can be used here if you want the entry hazard support alongside Defog.

Set Details
========

This set aims to take advantage of Gligar's amazing bulk,(AC) thanks to Eviolite,(AC) and typing to reliably get rid of entry hazards multiple times throughout the match. Eviolite is the obvious item as it boosts Gligar's defensive stats by 50% to tank even non-STAB Ice-type moves. The EV spread allows Gligar to make use of its impressive base 105 Defense stat and make use of its nice resistances to Fighting- and Bug-type moves. Hyper Cutter must be used in conjuction with Defog,(AC) as Immunity is illegal.(add period) (you already explained this) thanks to Defog being learnt in Gen 4 while Immunity is a Generation 5 and on ability. 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD is an alternate spread that is geared toward patching up Gligar's average base 65 Special Defense stat, allowing to tank hits from the likes of Life Orb Hydreigon and so on. An Impish nature must be used with this particular spread as this to allows Gligar to hit a jump point in Defense while increasing overall bulk. This spread takes on Mega Ampharos better as well, since as Dragon Pulse can only 3HKO while Gligar can 2HKO standard Mega Ampharos with Earthquake after Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be brought in on a Fighting-type Pokemon,(RC) such as Heracross or Mienshao, as both cannot stand to beat Gligar if locked into their STAB move. Gligar must,(AC) however,(AC) watch out for Knock Off,(AC) as that can proceed to cripple Gligar for the rest of the match. This set can also come in on a stray Thunder Wave or other Electric-type move and proceed to gain momentum via U-turn or Defog entry hazards away.

Team Options
========

Water-types are great partners for Gligar,(AC) as they can take both its weaknesses while Gligar covers Electric- and Grass-types for them. Vaporeon is a particularly good partner,(AC) as it can provide Wish support and is also immune to Water-type moves thanks to its ability, Water Absorb. Special walls, such as Blissey and Umbreon, complement Gligar's natural physical bulk with their natural special bulk. Both also provide Heal Bell and Wish support, allowing Gligar to last throughout the whole match increasing Gligar's longevity. This set tends to shine on balanced teams that need a solid Defogger that isn't weak to Electric- or Rock-type moves, but can afford the Water- and Ice-type weakness.

Other Options
########

Swords Dance + Baton Pass is a niche viable strategy that Gligar can take advantage of,(AC) as its Gligar's typing,(AC) coupled with Eviolite,(AC) allows it to take hits fairly easily while also giving the teammates an easy +2 in Attack. Although Gligar is bulky enough to take repeated hits, Baton Pass in itself is a niche strategy. Taunt can be used with a faster EV spread, as since Gligar outspeeds a lot of walls and can easily force their hand. Toxic + Immunity can be used to outstall a lot of Pokemon,(AC) as Immunity means Gligar cannot be worn down by anything but a burn, while the opponent has to struggle with the increasing timer that comes with Toxic. Knock Off can be used to cripples other walls that may switch into Gligar. Acrobatics can be used in place of Earthquake to check Swords Dance Heracross better,(AC) as it tends to go for a Knock Off to cripple Gligar or a Swords Dance to set up in front of on Gligar rather than going straight for an attacking move.

Checks & Counters
########

**Knock Off**: Knock Off is everywhere and as such,(AC) Gligar must be aware so as to not lose its Eviolite, which highly compromises its bulk.

**Bulky Water-types**: Most Water-types,(RC) such as Vaporeon,(RC) can wall Gligar,(AC) as they not only have a super(add space)effective STAB advantage, but they also can take anything Gligar has to offer.

**Setup Sweepers**: Most set(remove space)up sweepers, like such as Calm Mind Reuniclus, Calm Mind Cresselia, Hone Claws Mega Aerodactyl, and Dragon Dance Salamence, can easily set up on Gligar, especially if it lacks U-turn,(AC) as Gligar has poor offensive pressure potential. Substitute setup sweepers in particular, such as Substitute + Calm Mind Suicune, give Gligar trouble,(AC) as its U-turn cannot break their Substitutes.

**Status**: While it is immune to Thunder Wave, burns still cripples it Gligar, as it puts a timer on Gligar while also weakening its main damage output. Toxic can also hit non-Immunity variants, pressuring Gligar even more to do its job.

**Taunt**: Gligar gets shut down by this move Taunt, as and there are a lot of faster Taunt users in UU, such as Krookodile, Crobat, and Mega Aerodactyl.
GP 1/2

nv

The Lost Age
add or lowercase or Capitalize / remove / my comments

Overview
########

Gligar's is a great Pokemon in the metagame, using its boasting awesome 65 / 105 / 65 defenses coupled with Eviolite and its an amazing typing, which that makes Gligar immune to Ground- and Electric-types and resistant to common types in UU, such as Fighting- and Bug-type. Thanks to its typing, it is also the only Flying-type in UU that isn't weak to Stealth Rock, making it a reliable Defogger,(AC) as it isn't worn down as easily as other common Defoggers in UU. It also sports an impressive support movepool with moves such as Taunt, Knock Off, U-turn, Stealth Rock, Defog, and Roost.

While it has an amazing movepool, typing, and stats, it has its share of flaws. Its reliance of on Eviolite for its bulk means it must watch out for Knock Off, which runs rampant throughout UU. It also is a common coverage move on a lot of Fighting-types that it Gligar otherwise walls. Another problem it Gligar has is that while it is one of the most reliable Defoggers, it cannot run the its preferred ability it wants to run: Immunity. This is because Immunity is a Dream World / Generation 6 Horde ability,(AC) while Defog is a Generation 4 HM. Another flaw Gligar has is its 4x weakness to Ice, which can be problem when trying to fit it on teams. Another flaw it has is its poor offensive pressure potential, ("offensive pressure" isn't the optimal phrasing in this context) meaning U-turn is almost a necessity so as to not lose to maintain momentum.

Standard
########

Moves
========

Roost is used for reliable recovery and to weaken the blow of an incoming Ice-type move if needed. Earthquake is the obvious STAB move, hitting hits for a nice amount of damage against threats that it Gligar tends to wall, such as Lucario, Darmanitan, and Entei. Defog is in the third slot and is the main goal of move on this set,(AC) as Gligar can reliably do use it multiple times throughout the match thanks to Roost and U-turn. Stealth Rock can be used over Defog if the support isn't needed; if so, run Immunity,(AC) as that is the better ability. U-turn grabs the last slot, allowing allows Gligar to switch out of a Pokemon after Defogging and send in an appropriate check or counter. Stealth Rock can be used here if you want the entry hazard support alongside Defog.

Set Details
========

This set aims to take advantage of Gligar's amazing bulk,(AC) thanks to Eviolite,(AC) and typing to reliably get rid of entry hazards multiple times throughout the match. Eviolite is the obvious item as it boosts Gligar's defensive stats by 50% to tank even non-STAB Ice-type moves. The EV spread allows Gligar to make use of its impressive base 105 Defense stat and make use of its nice resistances to Fighting- and Bug-type moves. Hyper Cutter must be used in conjuction with Defog,(AC) as Immunity is illegal.(add period) (you already explained this) thanks to Defog being learnt in Gen 4 while Immunity is a Generation 5 and on ability. 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD is an alternate spread that is geared toward patching up Gligar's average base 65 Special Defense stat, allowing to tank hits from the likes of Life Orb Hydreigon and so on. An Impish nature must be used with this particular spread as this to allows Gligar to hit a jump point in Defense while increasing overall bulk. This spread takes on Mega Ampharos better as well, since as Dragon Pulse can only 3HKO while Gligar can 2HKO standard Mega Ampharos with Earthquake after Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be brought in on a Fighting-type Pokemon,(RC) such as Heracross or Mienshao, as both cannot stand to beat Gligar if locked into their STAB move. Gligar must,(AC) however,(AC) watch out for Knock Off,(AC) as that can proceed to cripple Gligar for the rest of the match. This set can also come in on a stray Thunder Wave or other Electric-type move and proceed to gain momentum via U-turn or Defog entry hazards away.

Team Options
========

Water-types are great partners for Gligar,(AC) as they can take both its weaknesses while Gligar covers Electric- and Grass-types for them. Vaporeon is a particularly good partner,(AC) as it can provide Wish support and is also immune to Water-type moves thanks to its ability, Water Absorb. Special walls, such as Blissey and Umbreon, complement Gligar's natural physical bulk with their natural special bulk. Both also provide Heal Bell and Wish support, allowing Gligar to last throughout the whole match increasing Gligar's longevity. This set tends to shine on balanced teams that need a solid Defogger that isn't weak to Electric- or Rock-type moves, but can afford the Water- and Ice-type weakness.

Other Options
########

Swords Dance + Baton Pass is a niche viable strategy that Gligar can take advantage of,(AC) as its Gligar's typing,(AC) coupled with Eviolite,(AC) allows it to take hits fairly easily while also giving the teammates an easy +2 in Attack. Although Gligar is bulky enough to take repeated hits, Baton Pass in itself is a niche strategy. Taunt can be used with a faster EV spread, as since Gligar outspeeds a lot of walls and can easily force their hand. Toxic + Immunity can be used to outstall a lot of Pokemon,(AC) as Immunity means Gligar cannot be worn down by anything but a burn, while the opponent has to struggle with the increasing timer that comes with Toxic. Knock Off can be used to cripples other walls that may switch into Gligar. Acrobatics can be used in place of Earthquake to check Swords Dance Heracross better,(AC) as it tends to go for a Knock Off to cripple Gligar or a Swords Dance to set up in front of on Gligar rather than going straight for an attacking move.

Checks & Counters
########

**Knock Off**: Knock Off is everywhere and as such,(AC) Gligar must be aware so as to not lose its Eviolite, which highly compromises its bulk.

**Bulky Water-types**: Most Water-types,(RC) such as Vaporeon,(RC) can wall Gligar,(AC) as they not only have a super(add space)effective STAB advantage, but they also can take anything Gligar has to offer.

**Setup Sweepers**: Most set(remove space)up sweepers, like such as Calm Mind Reuniclus, Calm Mind Cresselia, Hone Claws Mega Aerodactyl, and Dragon Dance Salamence, can easily set up on Gligar, especially if it lacks U-turn,(AC) as Gligar has poor offensive pressure potential. Substitute setup sweepers in particular, such as Substitute + Calm Mind Suicune, give Gligar trouble,(AC) as its U-turn cannot break their Substitutes.

**Status**: While it is immune to Thunder Wave, burns still cripples it Gligar, as it puts a timer on Gligar while also weakening its main damage output. Toxic can also hit non-Immunity variants, pressuring Gligar even more to do its job.

**Taunt**: Gligar gets shut down by this move Taunt, as and there are a lot of faster Taunt users in UU, such as Krookodile, Crobat, and Mega Aerodactyl.
GP 1/2
Thanks a ton. :)

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add/(un)Capitalize
remove
(comments)
Overview
########

Gligar's is a great Pokemon in the UU metagame, boasting awesome 65 / 105 / 65 defenses coupled a an amazing typing that makes gives Gligar immunities immune to Ground-(remove hyphen) and Electric-types and resistances resistant to common types in UU, such as Bug and Fighting Fighting- and Bug-type. Thanks to its typing, it is also the only Flying-type in UU that isn't weak to Stealth Rock, making it a reliable Defogger, as it isn't worn down as easily as other common Defoggers in UU. It also sports an impressive support movepool with moves such as Taunt, Knock Off, U-turn, Stealth Rock, Defog, and Roost.

While it has an amazing movepool, typing, and stats, it Gligar has its share of flaws. Its Gligar's reliance on Eviolite for its bulk means it must watch out for Knock Off, which runs rampant throughout UU. It Knock Off is also is a common coverage move on a lot of Fighting-types that Gligar would otherwise have no trouble switching into otherwise walls. Another problem Gligar has is that while it is one of the most reliable Defoggers, it cannot run its preferred ability: (remove colon), (AC) Immunity, (AC) is illegal in conjunction with Defog. This is because Immunity is a Dream World / Generation 6 Horde ability, while Defog is a Generation 4 HM. Another flaw Gligar's has is its 4x weakness to Ice, which can be problematic when trying to fit it onto teams. Another flaw is its poor offensive potential, meaning U-turn is almost a necessity to maintain momentum.

Standard
########

Moves
========

Roost is used for reliable recovery and to weaken the blow of an incoming Ice-type move if needed. Earthquake hits for a nice amount of damage against threats that Gligar tends to wall, such as Lucario, Darmanitan, and Entei. Defog is the main move on this set, as Gligar can reliably use it Defog multiple times throughout the match thanks to Roost and U-turn. Stealth Rock can be used over Defog if the support isn't needed; if so, run Immunity, as that is the better ability. U-turn allows Gligar to switch out and into an appropriate check or counter of a Pokemon after Defogging, (AC) maintaining momentum and send in an appropriate check or counter. Stealth Rock can be used instead here if you want the entry hazard support alongside Defog.

Set Details
========

This set aims to take advantage of Gligar's amazing bulk, thanks to Eviolite, and typing to reliably get rid of entry hazards multiple times throughout the match. Eviolite boosts Gligar's defensive stats by 50%, (AC) allowing it to tank even many non-STAB Ice-type moves. The EV spread allows Gligar to make use of its impressive base 105 Defense stat and its nice resistances to Fighting- and Bug-type moves Bug and Fighting. Hyper Cutter must be used in conjunction with Defog,; (comma to semicolon) if Defog is not being used, then Gligar should use Immunity, which is the better ability as Immunity is illegal. 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD is an alternate spread that is geared toward patching up Gligar's average base 65 Special Defense stat, allowing it to tank hits from the likes of Life Orb Hydreigon and so on. An Impish nature must be used with this particular spread to allow Gligar to hit a jump point in Defense while increasing its overall bulk. This spread takes on Mega Ampharos better as well, as Dragon Pulse can only 3HKO while Gligar can 2HKO standard Mega Ampharos with Earthquake after Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be brought in on a Fighting-type Pokemon such as Heracross or Mienshao, as both cannot stand to beat Gligar if locked into one of their STAB moves. Gligar must, however, watch out for Knock Off, which as that can proceed to cripple Gligar for the rest of the match. This set can also come in on a stray Thunder Wave or other Electric-type move and proceed to gain momentum via U-turn or Defog entry hazards away.

Team Options
========

Water-types are great partners for Gligar, as they can switch into Water- and Ice-type moves, (AC) can take both its weaknesses while Gligar covers Electric- and Grass-types for them. Vaporeon is a particularly good partner, as it can provide Wish support and is also immune to Water-type moves thanks to its ability, Water Absorb ability. Special walls, such as Blissey and Umbreon, complement Gligar's natural physical bulk with their natural special bulk. Both also provide Heal Bell and Wish support, increasing Gligar's longevity. This set tends to shine on balanced teams that can afford having to cover weaknesses to Water- and Ice-type moves and need a solid Defogger that isn't weak to Electric- (remove hyphen) or Rock-type moves, but can afford the Water- and Ice-type weakness.

Other Options
########

Swords Dance + Baton Pass is a viable strategy for that Gligar can take advantage of, as Gligar's typing, coupled with Eviolite, allows it to take hits fairly easily, (AC) set up, (AC) pass +2 attack to a teammate while also giving the teammates an easy +2 in Attack. Although Gligar is bulky enough to take repeated hits, Baton Pass in itself is a niche strategy. Taunt can be used with a faster EV spread, as Gligar outspeeds a lot of walls and can easily force them out after it used Taunt their hand. (The idiom is a bit odd here.) Toxic + Immunity can be used to outstall a lot of Pokemon, as with Immunity, (AC) a burn is the only status effect that can wear Gligar down, and Toxic puts the foe on a turn-by-turn timer means Gligar cannot be worn down by anything but a burn, while the opponent has to struggle with the increasing timer that comes with Toxic. Knock Off cripples other walls that may switch into Gligar. Acrobatics can be used in place of Earthquake to check Swords Dance Heracross better, as it tends to use go for a Knock Off to cripple Gligar or a Swords Dance when facing to set up on Gligar rather than going straight for an attacking move.

Checks & Counters
########

**Knock Off**: Knock Off is extremely common in the UU metagame, (AC) everywhere and as such, Gligar must be wary of losing aware so as to not lose its Eviolite, which highly compromises its bulk.

**Bulky Water-types**: Water-types such as Vaporeon are great switch-ins to can wall Gligar, as they can not only switch into any of Gligar's attacks have a super effective STAB advantage, but they also use their effective STAB moves with which to hit Gligar for great damage can take anything Gligar has to offer .

**Setup Sweepers**: Most setup sweepers, such as Calm Mind Reuniclus, Calm Mind Cresselia, Hone Claws Mega Aerodactyl, and Dragon Dance Salamence, can easily set up on Gligar, especially if it lacks U-turn, as Gligar has poor offensive potential. Substitute setup sweepers in particular, such as Substitute + Calm Mind Suicune, give Gligar trouble, as its U-turn cannot break their Substitutes.

**Status**: While it is immune to Thunder Wave, burns still cripple Gligar, (AC) putting it on a timer while weakening the power of its moves as it puts a timer on Gligar while also weakening its main damage output. Toxic can also hit non-Immunity variants of Gligar, pressuring it even more Gligar even more to do its job.

**Taunt**: Gligar gets is severely hampered shut down by Taunt, and there are many a lot of faster Taunt users in UU, such as Krookodile, Crobat, and Mega Aerodactyl.

GP 2/2

nv

The Lost Age
add/(un)Capitalize
remove
(comments)
Overview
########

Gligar's is a great Pokemon in the UU metagame, boasting awesome 65 / 105 / 65 defenses coupled a an amazing typing that makes gives Gligar immunities immune to Ground-(remove hyphen) and Electric-types and resistances resistant to common types in UU, such as Bug and Fighting Fighting- and Bug-type. Thanks to its typing, it is also the only Flying-type in UU that isn't weak to Stealth Rock, making it a reliable Defogger, as it isn't worn down as easily as other common Defoggers in UU. It also sports an impressive support movepool with moves such as Taunt, Knock Off, U-turn, Stealth Rock, Defog, and Roost.

While it has an amazing movepool, typing, and stats, it Gligar has its share of flaws. Its Gligar's reliance on Eviolite for its bulk means it must watch out for Knock Off, which runs rampant throughout UU. It Knock Off is also is a common coverage move on a lot of Fighting-types that Gligar would otherwise have no trouble switching into otherwise walls. Another problem Gligar has is that while it is one of the most reliable Defoggers, it cannot run its preferred ability: (remove colon), (AC) Immunity, (AC) is illegal in conjunction with Defog. This is because Immunity is a Dream World / Generation 6 Horde ability, while Defog is a Generation 4 HM. Another flaw Gligar's has is its 4x weakness to Ice, which can be problematic when trying to fit it onto teams. Another flaw is its poor offensive potential, meaning U-turn is almost a necessity to maintain momentum.

Standard
########

Moves
========

Roost is used for reliable recovery and to weaken the blow of an incoming Ice-type move if needed. Earthquake hits for a nice amount of damage against threats that Gligar tends to wall, such as Lucario, Darmanitan, and Entei. Defog is the main move on this set, as Gligar can reliably use it Defog multiple times throughout the match thanks to Roost and U-turn. Stealth Rock can be used over Defog if the support isn't needed; if so, run Immunity, as that is the better ability. U-turn allows Gligar to switch out and into an appropriate check or counter of a Pokemon after Defogging, (AC) maintaining momentum and send in an appropriate check or counter. Stealth Rock can be used instead here if you want the entry hazard support alongside Defog.

Set Details
========

This set aims to take advantage of Gligar's amazing bulk, thanks to Eviolite, and typing to reliably get rid of entry hazards multiple times throughout the match. Eviolite boosts Gligar's defensive stats by 50%, (AC) allowing it to tank even many non-STAB Ice-type moves. The EV spread allows Gligar to make use of its impressive base 105 Defense stat and its nice resistances to Fighting- and Bug-type moves Bug and Fighting. Hyper Cutter must be used in conjunction with Defog,; (comma to semicolon) if Defog is not being used, then Gligar should use Immunity, which is the better ability as Immunity is illegal. 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD is an alternate spread that is geared toward patching up Gligar's average base 65 Special Defense stat, allowing it to tank hits from the likes of Life Orb Hydreigon and so on. An Impish nature must be used with this particular spread to allow Gligar to hit a jump point in Defense while increasing its overall bulk. This spread takes on Mega Ampharos better as well, as Dragon Pulse can only 3HKO while Gligar can 2HKO standard Mega Ampharos with Earthquake after Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========

This set should be brought in on a Fighting-type Pokemon such as Heracross or Mienshao, as both cannot stand to beat Gligar if locked into one of their STAB moves. Gligar must, however, watch out for Knock Off, which as that can proceed to cripple Gligar for the rest of the match. This set can also come in on a stray Thunder Wave or other Electric-type move and proceed to gain momentum via U-turn or Defog entry hazards away.

Team Options
========

Water-types are great partners for Gligar, as they can switch into Water- and Ice-type moves, (AC) can take both its weaknesses while Gligar covers Electric- and Grass-types for them. Vaporeon is a particularly good partner, as it can provide Wish support and is also immune to Water-type moves thanks to its ability, Water Absorb ability. Special walls, such as Blissey and Umbreon, complement Gligar's natural physical bulk with their natural special bulk. Both also provide Heal Bell and Wish support, increasing Gligar's longevity. This set tends to shine on balanced teams that can afford having to cover weaknesses to Water- and Ice-type moves and need a solid Defogger that isn't weak to Electric- (remove hyphen) or Rock-type moves, but can afford the Water- and Ice-type weakness.

Other Options
########

Swords Dance + Baton Pass is a viable strategy for that Gligar can take advantage of, as Gligar's typing, coupled with Eviolite, allows it to take hits fairly easily, (AC) set up, (AC) pass +2 attack to a teammate while also giving the teammates an easy +2 in Attack. Although Gligar is bulky enough to take repeated hits, Baton Pass in itself is a niche strategy. Taunt can be used with a faster EV spread, as Gligar outspeeds a lot of walls and can easily force them out after it used Taunt their hand. (The idiom is a bit odd here.) Toxic + Immunity can be used to outstall a lot of Pokemon, as with Immunity, (AC) a burn is the only status effect that can wear Gligar down, and Toxic puts the foe on a turn-by-turn timer means Gligar cannot be worn down by anything but a burn, while the opponent has to struggle with the increasing timer that comes with Toxic. Knock Off cripples other walls that may switch into Gligar. Acrobatics can be used in place of Earthquake to check Swords Dance Heracross better, as it tends to use go for a Knock Off to cripple Gligar or a Swords Dance when facing to set up on Gligar rather than going straight for an attacking move.

Checks & Counters
########

**Knock Off**: Knock Off is extremely common in the UU metagame, (AC) everywhere and as such, Gligar must be wary of losing aware so as to not lose its Eviolite, which highly compromises its bulk.

**Bulky Water-types**: Water-types such as Vaporeon are great switch-ins to can wall Gligar, as they can not only switch into any of Gligar's attacks have a super effective STAB advantage, but they also use their effective STAB moves with which to hit Gligar for great damage can take anything Gligar has to offer .

**Status**: While it is immune to Thunder Wave, burns still cripple Gligar, (AC) putting it on a timer while weakening the power of its moves as it puts a timer on Gligar while also weakening its main damage output. Toxic can also hit non-Immunity variants of Gligar, pressuring it even more Gligar even more to do its job.

**Taunt**: Gligar gets is severely hampered shut down by Taunt, and there are many a lot of faster Taunt users in UU, such as Krookodile, Crobat, and Mega Aerodactyl.

GP 2/2
Thanks

This is DONE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)