Gliscor (Full Revamp) +

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just some small grammar nitpicks:

[Dancing Tank]
Now that many Lucario are packing Ice attacks to get past Gliscor
'Attacks' should not have a capitalised 'a'.

[Physical Sweeper]
It forgoes the ability to recover in favor of adding...
Since it is not actually using the move Recover, the 'r' should not be capitalised. Either change the r to lower case or replace 'Recover' with 'Roost'.

Between Stone Edge and Earthquake, all of OU , except for Breloom, Bronzong, and Flygon , are hit for neutral damage.
Let's get some more commas in there.

[Pure Baton Passer]
Yache Berry is acceptable also, as it will allow Gliscor to take an Ice attack if it is not supported by screens, and still get its pass off.
'Attacks' and 'screens' do not require capitalisation.

[Defensive]
Your choice of move for the fourth slot depends on the needs of your team: Stealth Rock for residual damage, Taunt for shutting down slower Pokemon, or Knock Off to cripple Pokemon that are eager to switch in.
Should be a colon, not a semicolon.

Roost isnecessary on this set,
You're missing a space here.

as well as any neutral-natured base 90 Speed Pokemon, <omit> such as Porygon-Z or Lucario
It messes with the flow of the sentence.

[Other Options]
With Counter, Gliscor can retaliate for an OHKO on all of those Pokemon
'An OHKO' > 'a OHKO'.

[Opinion]
AnEarthquake immunity and Fighting resists
Missing a space.

The ability to not be affected by Intimidate is also another chink in its armor.
This is an incorrect use of the idiom. A 'chink in the armour' is quite literally a crack in one's defenses, a flaw, or a weakness. It is used like so:

She's a brilliant businesswoman, but her lack of political awareness may be the chink in her armour.

You are using this idiom to refer to Gliscor's Hyper Cutter ability, which is not a flaw, but rather an advantageous feature. You can change your sentence to: 'The ability to not be affected by Intimidate is also another factor in Gliscor's favour' (or favor, or however you Americans spell it =P).

That's about all - it's a good write-up =).

LR.

Wow, your right. In the month of November, over 50% of Gliscor's used NO SPEED EVS!!!! WTF?????? Only ~30% were using at least 200 Speed EVs.... Not only is that the Defensive set, but thats the EV spread listed in "other EV spreads," lol.

I guess the question becomes, do we promote the least useful set in the metagame? Lets be real, Gliscor's best function is Lucario and Heracross counter, and it can't counter Lucario without Speed EVs, so clearly people are doing something wrong... The same situation happened when I did the Dragonite revamp, as some 70% of Dragonite or some ridiculous number were still using the Dragon Dance, Outrage, Earthquake, Fire Punch @ Jolly nature set, knowing that it is thoroughly outclassed by Salamence and is "obselete" in a matter of speaking.

I am positive that those statistics will change for December, because I haven't seen a Gliscor without Swords Dance yet, so I don't know how things will turn out.

I do believe order is done on usage. It can always be changed later on, if usage of the defensive set plummets.

Bronzong could be added to counters by virtue of being immune to EQ and resisting Stone Edge, not necessary but just a thought.

Edit: Bronzong does have trouble hurting Taunt/Substitute Gliscors unless it's carrying odd moves like Psychic or HP Ice.

I was thinking that too, Cynthia, except Bronzong doesn't threaten Gliscor in anyway. Its merely a "switch-in." The only thing Bronzong can do to Gliscor really is Explode. It can't put Gliscor to sleep since a good amount carry Taunt and / or Substitute, and Gliscor can easily outstall Gyro Ball.

Originally Posted by Twash
I do believe order is done on usage. It can always be changed later on, if usage of the defensive set plummets.
Yeah, I understand that. However, the defensive set just... is limited in usefulness. Today most leads are centered around Stealth Rock, so unless you are going to lead with Gliscor people will reach for other Stealth Rockers. Also, the notion of "physical wall Gliscor" is mainly for Gliscor countering fighting Pokemon and CB Tar using Stone Edge. However, CB Tar now has Aqua Tail and Lucario is outspeeding 50% of Gliscor by usage statistics.

The main reason why the "Dancing Tank" set was even created a few months ago was to beat Lucario and still have Gliscor do something else with its life... I think I can move the set up, possibly before the Baton Passer? But even the Baton Passer seems to be more effective (as evidence by Wdro's #1 team).

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Order shouldn't be based on usage. Then we'd have to list Encore / Chatter / Hyper Voice / Nasty Plot Chatot over the actually gamebreaking set. Then we'd have to include a bunch of unviable or outclassed bullshit just because "it's used more than the good sets" (hi Psycho Shift Cresselia, pure Dragon Dance Dragonite, and the like).

When people look at an analysis, the first set they should see is the one most generally viable in the current metagame. That's what _every_ player assumes. There's nothing to indicate all sets are equally viable or that they're in order of popularity. I can quote a dozen users saying they only bother with the first two sets on a Pokémon.

In conclusion, power, not frequency. Analyses are not tier lists.

Added Bronzong into counters.

In the end it will be the mod's decision anyway, but I really think the Defensive set is kind of useless / outclassed in today's metagame. Gliscor doesn't wall shit anymore. The only things it can wall (Fighting Pokemon), it can do that without having to devote all its EVs to defense.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I've been looking at this thread by skiddles:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44609&highlight=gliscor

In it he posts this spread for the dancing tank (further down on the first page):

Jolly 116 HP / 56 Atk / 120 Def / 218 Spe

Reaches the same speed number, but the attack is made to guarantee the 2hko on 252 hp ttar and the defenses are supposed made to maximize defense.

I don't know which one is better, but I guess my question is, do you think your spread is better and why?

Because Gliscor's HP is shitty and that needs to be Maxed before anything else. I gave the option of shifting those 40 EVs anywhere you'd like, so if you go:

252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Spe

You do 50-58% (98% 2HKO) to Max HP Tar with Earthquake. And in comparison to your spread, you take 0.1% more from physical attacks, and Siddle's spread takes 10.6% more from special attacks

If you use:

252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe

You do 48-56% (81% chance of 2HKO) to Max HP Tar with Earthquake. Skiddle's spread takes 2.68% more from physical attacks, and the same 10.6% more from special attacks.

Then finally, if you use:

252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe

You do 48-56% (81% chance of 2HKO) to Max HP Tar with Earthquake. The spread takes 0.1% more from physical attacks, and Skiddles spread now takes... yikes... 16.3% more damage from special attacks!

So its not like Tyranitar is switching in to Gliscor, and your most likely Swords Dancing anyway making a OHKO with Stealth Rock from any spread a OHKO. Conversely, you take hits much better by maxing Gliscor's mediocre HP first. Gliscor can wall his physical threats well enough do to his typing anyway.

Also, some of the calculations hes using in that thread are wrong. The 40 Atk EVs with a +2 Earthquake he lists as doing some 60-71% to 252 / 252 Bold Vaporeon. I described in the set that a +2 Earthquake does 45-54% to Vaporeon, a 100% 2HKO w/ SR, so his calculator is wrong. Furthermore, Hyper Cutter is once again, a better ability than Sand Veil in most occasions (meaning any set with Swords Dance).

cim

For pure physical defense, skiddle's spread does better, but you never take just physical hits.

No, it doesn't. Did you not just look at the calcs I posted?

252 HP / 40 Def takes hits from both sides better than Skiddles spread.

cim

I kind of forget to read posts sometimes :/. I agree now. I thought he had one specific KO he was aiming to avoid with that though, but unless skiddle says otherwise max HP is preferable.

yeah, just go for maximum HP, Gliscor can switch into Zapdos pretty easily now, so why hurt that, right... there's also Celebi too, never runs HP Ice. Also, Stealth Rock is all but omnipresent nowadays so those attack EVs are pretty much moot now. I am, however, impressed that my set has, more or less, made it to the top of the page on the Gliscor analysis! Thanks RL.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll add this in a bit if you are done I just have one little issue.

Night Slash on the CB set seems like a terrible option but I guess I can leave it as a slash but I'd prefer to rewrite what it's for exactly. Cresselia is taking about 31% - ish from a CB Night Slash and that's just terrible damage. It's also not as though Dark-type is a good coverage move (unlike Normal or Water for a lot of CB sets). I'd really prefer that you write it to talk about defensive Rotom-formes which actually have a very good chance (95%+ depending on the spread) for being 2HKOed by Night Slash with Stealth Rock. The guaranteed OHKO on Gengar (Stone Edge can't and it's not guaranteed even with Stealth Rock) is also somewhat appealing. I'd prefer you mention that rather than seemingly suggesting it's for Cresselia since it does piss poor damage.

Other then that, nice write up!

Ok Caelum, I edited the sentence to mention Gengar and the Rotom formes.

I was wondering, should I give a sentence on the SubSalac set about the 4 HP? It makes his HP divisable by 4 - so its at 292. Since some people just put the 4 EVs anywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)