Gliscor

tehy

Banned deucer.
Conkeldurr just boosts up and smacks you with guts Payback, probably dying in the process but you're now in the solid range of a KO from Excadrill or Scizor. It's a pretty risky counter to Conkeldurr, in my opinion.
Except you taunt him.

And if you're using the toxic sub protect sets then smacking you with guts payback it won't work well either.

Aside from provideing admittedly useful resistances to Burn, Poision damage and Sleep, why is it that Poision Heal Gliscor is seen as superior to the traditional Roost Gliscor?

It takes NINE TURNS for Poision Heal to outdo a single roost with Leftovers held by the Roosting Gliscor, with Poision Heal granting 108% during that time, and Roost+Lefties granting 104%.

A Gliscor with only Roost [It might be an offensive Gliscor with no item for Acrobatics] gets enough HP back for it to take Poision Heal 5 turns to overtake.

Both types of Gliscor 'waste' a moveslot, Roost and Protect, respectivly.

However, Roost Gliscor, unlike Poision Heal, is a bit more unpredictable, and can also run offensive sets better, or taking sets with defensive EV's, but Swords Dance, Acrobatics, and Earthquake so it's not setup fodder.

I just wonder why every single Gliscor seems to be Poision Heal these days... if you're so worried about status, you could always absorb damageing status with something like Renkulus anyway.

Not to mention not any of the things Gliscor fights use status. The extra healing is probobly better against stuff like Conkledurr, although Roosting against Excadrill is admittedly suicide, it'll allow Gliscor to recover better after Excadrill is finished...

@Raikaria

It seems like a good idea, but if you'd try roost on a defensive Gliscor, you'd realise that its simply outclassed by poison heal. Poison heal is essential for beating things like Terrakion and Excadrill, racther than stalling for Life orb damage, risking a crit/flinch. While roost is nice, it should only be considered for Offensive Gliscor, who can't use an item.

Its also worth noting that without Poison Heal, Gliscor cannot beat Terrakion and Excadrill with SR up, and cannot reliably beat Conkeldurr. Without Poison Heal, its only niche is as a Lucario check and stallbreaker.

That one turn it takes to use Roost can be quite costly. It's also worth noting that in place of Roost, Gliscor often runs Protect, which can net it free recovery turns to the point of healing 75% HP for every three times it exposes itself to attack, compared to the 68.75% HP Roost Gliscor heals while exposing itself to attacks that many times and using Roost one of those turns. Using Protect excessively has its risks against setup sweepers, but having access to Protect has huge benefits against Choice sweepers, and being automatically free from status with Toxic Orb is far easier than spending an entire team slot on absorbing status.

So, while Roost Gliscor has its advantages, taking all things into account, Toxic Orb Gliscor seems to work out better in most situations.

That one turn it takes to use Roost can be quite costly. It's also worth noting that in place of Roost, Gliscor often runs Protect, which can net it free recovery turns to the point of healing 75% HP for every three times it exposes itself to attack, compared to the 68.75% HP Roost Gliscor heals while exposing itself to attacks that many times and using Roost one of those turns. Using Protect excessively has its risks against setup sweepers, but having access to Protect has huge benefits against Choice sweepers, and being automatically free from status with Toxic Orb is far easier than spending an entire team slot on absorbing status.

So, while Roost Gliscor has its advantages, taking all things into account, Toxic Orb Gliscor seems to work out better in most situations.
I've seen protect stalling on Gliscor many times. Often Gliscor will come in and open with protect in order to trigger the toxic orb as well.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Until now, I never realized how well this guy can counter chansey. If chansey doesn't have ice beam (and even then she probably can't 2HKO him) gliscor can freely come in and set up on her. He's immune to toxic with poison heal, and since he's part ground he's immune to t-wave as well. He can also knock off her eviolite, making her easier to take down.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Aside from the chance of switching in on toxic, gliscor already made minced meat of chansey in 4th gen. And no one will ever use Ice beam on Chansey. Ever. At all.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would just like to offer an aside and say that Subtect Gliscor is the greatest staller ever invented.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Impish
252 Hp/ 176 Def/ 80 Spe
Substitute
Protect
Toxic
Earthquake

Toxic the opponent and the alternate between Substitute and Protect. During these 2 turns, Poison Heal will completely heal off the damage Substitute causes, while the opponent is slowly worn down by Toxic. The only way an opponent can bypass this strategy is to Taunt/ phaze, and even then, they're still taking damage from poison. It also just so happens that the only pokemon immune to poison are steel types, poison types, and poison healers. Earthquake conveniently hits the first two for SE STAB damage. Meaning the only pokemon Gliscor can't touch are Breloom and Gliscor between EQ and Toxic.

This set needs to be used more. That SD Gliscor isn't getting any sweeps, like, ever. Its also not exactly the most reliable way of checking Conkeldurr since it could just Bulk Up as you Protect.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
SD Gliscor actually uses protect over taunt?!

I agree that the set should be used more, but for different reasons. I'm actually hoping that set becomes the new standard.

yea i mentioned that set a while ago, and people gave me crap saying "What does it beat that the taunt+sd dosnt beat" personally, i love the set. being able to toxic stall latios is great.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
yea i mentioned that set a while ago, and people gave me crap saying "What does it beat that the taunt+sd dosnt beat" personally, i love the set. being able to toxic stall latios is great.
All hail the new Stallrein!!!! this guy really does remind me of stallrein I use this set to great effect due to being able to use it outside of hail and Ground/flying is much better than water/ice

I would just like to offer an aside and say that Subtect Gliscor is the greatest staller ever invented.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Impish
252 Hp/ 176 Def/ 80 Spe
Substitute
Protect
Toxic
Earthquake

Meaning the only pokemon Gliscor can't touch are Breloom and Gliscor between EQ and Toxic.
You're forgetting Magic Guard Sigilyph, Magic Bounce Xatu, Levitate Bronzong, Skarmory, Crobat, and Gengar, though that does not detract from the fact that this set can be annoying as hell.

Edit: Also, though you'll probably barely ever see it, Leaf Guard Jumpluff walls this set in sun.

any of gliscors's usual counters are toxic stalled. like slowbro.

su while you force something out, toxic while ice beam breaks sub, and repeat with sub and protect.

The set you have loses to balloon Excadrill and balloon Terrakion, Gliscor is suppose to counter these pokemon. With your set, it loses, meaning you would have too carry yet another pokemon for them, for that simple reason I will never use that Gliscor.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Impish
252 Hp/ 176 Def/ 80 Spe
Substitute
Protect
Toxic
Earthquake

Toxic the opponent and the alternate between Substitute and Protect. During these 2 turns, Poison Heal will completely heal off the damage Substitute causes, while the opponent is slowly worn down by Toxic. The only way an opponent can bypass this strategy is to Taunt/ phaze, and even then, they're still taking damage from poison. It also just so happens that the only pokemon immune to poison are steel types, poison types, and poison healers. Earthquake conveniently hits the first two for SE STAB damage. Meaning the only pokemon Gliscor can't touch are Breloom and Gliscor between EQ and Toxic.

This set needs to be used more. That SD Gliscor isn't getting any sweeps, like, ever. Its also not exactly the most reliable way of checking Conkeldurr since it could just Bulk Up as you Protect.
There are SO many things that can break through this set with EASE. Poison heal breloom is one of the best (although you do have the advantage of being immune to spore). Not to mention that skarmory, bronzong, and opposing poison heal gliscor also wall this set. Finally, swords dance scizor with roost is also a good counter.

There are SO many things that can break through this set with EASE. Poison heal breloom is one of the best (although you do have the advantage of being immune to spore). Not to mention that skarmory, bronzong, and opposing poison heal gliscor also wall this set. Finally, swords dance scizor with roost is also a good counter.
Skarmory and Bronzong beat Gliscor regardless. The set is very effective if Gliscor can get a free sub up, and it can stall out a lot of pokes.

Just a quick question before I go take a bath: Does 252/252 Gliscor survive a CB Ice Shard from Mamoswine?

Sorry, my calculator isn't working for some reason.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Box said:
Just a quick question before I go take a bath: Does 252/252 Gliscor survive a CB Ice Shard from Mamoswine?

Sorry, my calculator isn't working for some reason.
76-89%

alphatron said:
SD Gliscor actually uses protect over taunt?!
Lol SD + Protect means Gliscor loses to Conkeldurr.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)