Glossary

I suggest a glossary of terms& abbreviations, I find it very confusing sometimes when reading stuff on here a list of terms I could look up quickly would be really helpful

Edit:tbh Im not so confused all the time, I probably know what people are talking about most of the time but HO wtf is that?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
That said, the dictionary could probably use an update. I'll definitely think about it (I've always wanted to do an article).

Edit: Oh be quiet Azelf. Just be sure to make your 1K post a kick-ass one.

It doesn't really need a total overhaul. All badged users are encouraged to update it with new terms as they become relevant.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Heavy Offense, or High Offense. Basically, you use just basic type synergy for defense and don't use any stallish defensive Pokemon.

Cheers, new it would be something obvious but I couldn't figure it out

Heavy Offense, I think that might be the type of team I want to go for

Few updates for the Glossary since I'm not badged:

(Section: Competitive Abbreviations and Commonly Used Terms) Double Dragon: A strategy revolving around using two (for example, Rayquaza and Garchomp in Gen IV Ubers) or even three Pokemon (using Excadrill, Garchomp, and Landorus together in Gen V) with a similar set of checks. The idea is that while one of the Pokemon can be used to weaken the enemy's checks, the other(s) can power through the weakened checks and sweep.

The term originates in Gen IV, where it was used to describe the usage of two Dragon-types on the same team for the purpose described above.

(Section: Commonly Used Roles) Dedicated Lead: A Pokemon used mostly or only as a lead in Gen V, to the general exclusion of the other five team members from the lead role.

(Section: General Movesets) SlideQuake: The use of Rock Slide+Earthquake as coverage. Commonly used to decribe Excadrill, who cannot learn Stone Edge and must thusly make do with the weaker attack, and the Gen III competitive scene, where Stone Edge does not exist.

(Section: General Movesets) QuakeEdge: A synonym to EdgeQuake.

(Section: Specific Sets and Pokémon Combinations) DrizzleToed: Politoed with the Drizzle Ability.

(Section: Specific Sets and Pokémon Combinations) DroughtTales: Ninetales with the Drought Ability.

(Section: Specific Sets and Pokémon Combinations) MixNape: Any one of various mixed Infernape sets, with the distinguishing feature of the moveset being the moves Close Combat and Fire Blast.

I'd update Gen IV/make a Gen V section...but I have to do homework.

MixApe > MixNape
I agree. It's used in this sentence under "Mixed Sweeper": Infernape’s ability to use both physical and special attacks (referred to as MixApe) in one set makes it one of the most common and effective mixed sweepers available. Stick with MixApe for consistency.

Some other stuff I've noticed:

Aromatherapist / Cleric
I have never seen anyone use the term "Arometherapist"; it also seems a bit long. Cleric seems good enough, so possibly take Aromatherapist off?

Pseudo Passer / Dual Screener
Psuedo passer is in the same book as Aromatherapist; it's so rare I don't see the point of having it. Dual screener is sufficient.

Revenge Killer / Trapper
The description and example don't really give elaborate on "trapper", which is a Pokemon meant to trap another through the use of an ability (Magnet Pull, Arena Trap) or move (Pursuit).
A Pokémon whose main purpose on a team is to revenge kill or trap certain threats, usually those who your team lacks a solid defense against. Generally characterized by high Speed and frailty.
Mamoswine’s access to Ice Shard allows it to be known as a very effective revenge killer to Flygon.
Neither the description or example mention trapping a Pokemon so they cannot escape at all. I suggest either removing "Trapper" from the name and adding it as a different word, or elaborating on trappers in the description and example (Scarftar works very well for the example - it revenge kills by trapping).

Poor choice of wording in the example under "Hax":
Togekiss' ability, Serene Grace, increases its chance at causing hax to the opponent.
It should be:
Togekiss' ability, Serene Grace, increases its chance at causing hax on the opponent.

Definition of the term "CC":
Close Combat or Cross Chop.
Cross Chop is nearly never used in the first place and the term CC is only used to reference Close Combat, so Cross Chop should be taken off imo.

LK
Low Kick or Lovely Kiss.

Neither are used, so I suggest dropping both; at minimum Lovely Kiss since Low Kick is viable on Weavile.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
4Drag2Mag

The use of four dragon Pokemon and two Pokemon with the ability Magnet Pull. The Magnet Pull users often carry Hidden Power Fire or Ground to easily defeat opposing Steel types, the only Pokemon resistant to Dragon moves. Once the Steel Pokemon are removed, the Dragon types are free to sweep the opposing team. An example team in late Gen4 OU would consist of Flygon, Dragonite, Altaria, Kingrda, Magnezone, and Probopass or Magneton.

Is this good? I've heard it referenced before...

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Some stuff that confuse me.

GyaraJolt / GyaraVireGyarados and Jolteon / Electivire being used together as an offensive core. Jolteon switches into Gyarados's Electric-type weakness to recover 25% of its health, thanks to Volt Absorb, while Electivire gains a +1 Speed boost from Motor Drive. Gyarados switches into Ground attacks aimed at the Electric-type.

All my battling, I've never seen it, Gen 4 or 5. Although, I'd like some input from magor Gen 4 battlers. I'm contacting Fa(i)ladran.

MixPertSwampert that takes advantage of his respectable mixed offenses to prevent common Pokémon from setting up as he sets up. This set is found as a lead much of the time.

Not only have I never seen this, it doesn't have a set on Smogon. (it doesn't even have a lead set!)

ALL UU TERMS:
I left after talking to Anachronism about RegiBro, and he said it wasn't common enough
to be included. Then, I asked about TechniTop, and this is what we ended with. NOTE: Vader didn't complain, nor did anyone else:

<LS> Wee, I'm back.

<LS> TechniTop Hitmontop with the ability, Technician, and a set with low Base Powered priority moves, such as Bullet Punch, Fake Out, and Mach Punch.

<LS> Is that commen?

<Anachronism> Anachronismregibro isn't nearly common enough in uu to warrant inclusion here

<Anachronism> yes

<Anachronism> technitop is common

<Anachronism> well

<Anachronism> not common common

<LS> What did you say when I left about regibro?

<Anachronism> the most popular set is foresight hitmontop

<Heysup> what the fuck is going on here

<LS> I'm asking.

<Heysup> whoaaaa

<LS> ?

<Anachronism> he is talking about some type of glossary

<Heysup> oh the terms

<LS> Mmhmm.

<Heysup> i don't think it's even worth adding gen 4 uu stuff

<LS> Heysup, is Techitop commen?

<Heysup> but k

<LS> True, I suppose.

<Heysup> common* no

<Anachronism> it is not as common as foresight top

<Heysup> but there is no current metagam

<Anachronism> and top is probably top 15-20 at best

<Heysup> e

<Heysup> like no ladder

<LS> Which would you suggest about technitop

<LS> 1: Remove

<LS> 2: leave

<Anachronism> I would have to look at the old usage stats to verify that

<LS> 3: don't include uu

<Heysup> 4: indifferent, I have to go to the bathroom peace

<Anachronism> 3

<LS> Lol.

<Anachronism> there are really not many relevant terms for gen 4 uu

<LS> Alright.

<LS> I'll post that.

<Anachronism> oh

<Anachronism> nevermind

<Anachronism> "weezlotic"

<Anachronism> was a fairly common defensive core near the end

<Anachronism> but honestly gen 4 uu doesn't really matter much in the scheme of things

*** Anachronism left #underused [Left all channels]

*** Anachronism [Mibbit@synIRC-B89227F9.scf.oregonstate.edu] has joined #underused

*** mode/#underused [+ao Anachronism Anachronism] by Sgt_Semen

*** dinEOsaur is now known as Eo
TSpikes / TS Toxic Spikes.
Remove ts, not used to mean Toxic Spikes.
WoW / Wisp Will-O-Wisp.
Remove wisp, never heard it said.
Scarf Choice Scarf.
Make it CS, no-one calls it scarf.
QA Quick Attack.
Outside of LC, not used.
LK Low Kick or Lovely Kiss.
Never heard it said, remove.
IB Ice Beam.
Nobody calls Ice Beam IB.
FT Flamethrower.
see above.
GK Grass Knot.
see above.
DP DynamicPunch or Dragon Pulse.
Remove dragon pulse, it's never said like that.
CC Close Combat or Cross Chop.
see above; cross chop
CB / Band Choice Band.
Remove Band, never said.
AA Aerial Ace.
Remove completely, never said.
BB Brick Break or Brave Bird.
Remove Brick Bread, never said to mean that.
SS Sandstorm, usually induced by Sand Stream.
Take out the last part, it's not needed.
Revenge Kill / Revenge KO KOing an opposing Pokémon immediately after one of your own Pokémon has fainted, therefore avoiding the risk of switching into an attack.Jolteon revenge killed Gyarados after it KOed Heatran.
Remove Revenge KOing, never said.

Pinch BerryA stat-boosting Berry that activates when the holder falls below 25% health. Often used in conjunction with Substitute, as Substituting three times activates the Berry if you have an odd HP stat.The most common Pinch Berries are: Salac (boosts Speed), Petaya (boosts Special Attack), and Liechi (boosts Attack).
Change this to each berry being different, as Pinch Berry is never said.
FP Full paralysis. While it can refer to several moves, it is often used to refer to being unable to move due to paralysis.Suicune was able to keep setting up because Jirachi FPed.
Remove completly, never said.
QuakeEdge A synonym to EdgeQuake.
See above.
EndFlail Endure and Flail. EndRev Endure and Reversal.EndSalac Endure and a Salac Berry.
see above.

Some stuff that confuse me.

GyaraJolt / GyaraVireGyarados and Jolteon / Electivire being used together as an offensive core. Jolteon switches into Gyarados's Electric-type weakness to recover 25% of its health, thanks to Volt Absorb, while Electivire gains a +1 Speed boost from Motor Drive. Gyarados switches into Ground attacks aimed at the Electric-type.

All my battling, I've never seen it, Gen 4 or 5. Although, I'd like some input from magor Gen 4 battlers. I'm contacting Fa(i)ladran.
I can guarantee this was used, as this was the core of many of my earlier teams.

MixPertSwampert that takes advantage of his respectable mixed offenses to prevent common Pokémon from setting up as he sets up. This set is found as a lead much of the time.

Not only have I never seen this, it doesn't have a set on Smogon. (it doesn't even have a lead set!)
It's now listed under the "tank" set. You'll notice that he uses Earthquake and Ice Beam as his attacking options, and is thus mixed.

TSpikes / TS Toxic Spikes.
Remove ts, not used to mean Toxic Spikes.

Scarf Choice Scarf.
Make it CS, no-one calls it scarf.

GK Grass Knot.
see above.

Change this to each berry being different, as Pinch Berry is never said.

FP Full paralysis. While it can refer to several moves, it is often used to refer to being unable to move due to paralysis.Suicune was able to keep setting up because Jirachi FPed.
Remove completly, never said.
I use all of these. Granted, I also use CS, I typically say Scarved [mon]

QA Quick Attack.
Outside of LC, not used.

LK Low Kick or Lovely Kiss.
Never heard it said, remove.
Lovely Kiss is a lot more important in GSC if memory serves (see: LK Snorlax)

Quick Attack is still used occasionally by Terakion, Scyther, and even Scizor.

Oglemi

Borf
@BKC, Zebstrika, and Articblast

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I added almost everything. The only thing I didn't remove was Cross Chop from CC because it was used to mean Cross Chop in ADV. I clarified that in the article.

@Lady Salamence

Mmkay, I'll number I guess.

1. GyaraJolt / GyaraVire
- I left this because it was extremely popular in the beginning of DPP (like the very beginning), and this is a dictionary, so I'm leaving it.

2. MixPert
- I left it, but I deleted the part about using it as a lead.

3. TechniTop
- I left it. I still use it, so I think it's relevant.

4. Deleted TS and just made it TSpikes.

5. Deleted Wisp and just made it WoW.

6. People do indeed just call it Scarf, I would argue moreso than CS, because it can then get confused with Choice Specs, which is also CS.

7. Doesn't matter. LC is legit.

8. I made it just Low Kick.

9. Removed.

10. Removed.

11. Disagree, left it.

12. Removed Dragon Pulse.

13. See words above.

14. Removed Band.

15. Disagree

16. Disagree

17. Left it, otherwise it seems out of place.

18. OK

19. Strongly disagree

20. OK

21. I just added that, it is indeed said, especially in analyses.

22. Strongly disagree

EDIT: lol kinda ninja'd by Accipender

This sort of a development thread really doesn't belong in the Suggestion Box. Also, I want to discourage the total removal of things that are helpful for previous generations, because Smogon still supports and even plays them in official tournaments. Please don't just suggest updates to 'convert' the dictionary into BW, because that is unhelpful. I will personally review these changes before it goes on-site, because a lot was proposed here that I don't particularly agree with. That said, if a super mod sees this, this should be moved here.

Lastly, I want to emphasize that it's OK to include more than less in this article. I'm ok with a few less-than-frequently used acronyms if they do get used. I'd much rather they be there and get used infrequently than not there and used at all. There is no downside to including them, and if the wording of the article is confusing, fix it to be more clear, don't remove it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)