1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Going to NY, things to do/see?

Discussion in 'Congregation of the Masses' started by CaptainKishimoto, Apr 3, 2012.

1. CaptainKishimoto

CaptainKishimoto

So, sometime around the end of April I'll be going with a few friends to NY. The main thing we really need to figure out are places to eat, and since my friend is hugely opposed to using google for ideas, I come to you! Basically they're not picky in terms of types of food, they just want to go to a 'nice' place and/or some place that is famous in NY. Any other suggestions in terms of things to see or do would also be appreciated =]
  2. Badal

Badal Shit
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Nintendo World
  3. pookar

pookar Banned deucer.

i know for a personal fact that the captain kishimoto would enjoy the restaurant Lips very much
  4. Heroes Fall

Heroes Fall

The hamburger place? or am I thinking of something else.
  5. Atlas

Atlas I'm the Mary!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

the hamburger place is licks, so ya, something else
  6. pookar

pookar Banned deucer.

Its a hamburger place if you want it to be :>
  7. ToF

ToF
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 13 Champion

Ok I live here so here's the places to hit up:

If you like chicken and rice, 53rd Street and 6th Avenue across from the Hilton, best place in NYC.

If you like pizza, 14th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenue, Artichokes, best pizza in the city.

All your famous restaurants / sit-down expensive places are midtown aka around the 40s and 50s (streets). Carmines is excellent (its near time square, I forgot the exact cross-streets) for italian food, though it will be pricy.
  8. bojangles

bojangles IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Carmines has two locations, one on West 44th at 7th Ave and the other on Broadway between 90th and 91st. I've never been, but my friends went once and enjoyed it.

If you're willing to spend money though, there's a place in Chelsea called The Red Cat. When we're in the mood for something fancier, I go there with my parents and it's really amazing.

There's also an awesome Greek restaurant that's not too pricey at all thats just a few blocks North of the Museum of Natural History on Columbus; it's called Kefi and it's definitely worth going to.
  9. Blkmage0253

Blkmage0253

Take the train to the Fulton street stop and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (at sunset is really nice). Really close to the exit of the Brooklyn Bridge walkway is Grimaldi's pizzeria. Hands down some of the best pizza around

The promenade is also right there and has a great view of the skyline. Here's a picture I took of the view: http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinsdong/6946997793/in/photostream

if you've never been to my before, Times Square is probably worth it since it's easy to get to. also, haven't been to chinatown in a while but i'm sure you guys can find something to eat there - wandering around (safely) is part of the adventure!
  10. Danilo

Danilo
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

Museum of natural history is the shit. hANG Around central park too
  11. WaterBomb

WaterBomb because exploding camels wasn't enough
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator

I personally recommend Churrascaria Plataforma (or something like that). It's a nice Brazilian steakhouse at 316 West 49th st and you won't leave hungry.

Park is also excellent, located at 118 10th Ave.

Outside of food, be prepared to spend money to go see musea in NYC. Unlike DC, you gotta pay to get into places like the Museum of Natural History, etc, so I really don't see them as worth it.

If you'd like a good bar scene and want to save a bit of money, make your way across the river to Hoboken, NJ. The main drag there has a ton of good bars and pizza joints and you won't drop near as much cash over the whole night.
  12. PrimeMinister

PrimeMinister

Holy Fuck go to shake shack in Madison square garden. (no not the arena the area.)
    Its literally a shack but the burgers are fucking amazing. It is not at all high- end you just sit in tables outside.
    Get a peanut butter milkshake. Just do it.
  13. ButteredToast

ButteredToast

Lake Placid is somewhere good too visit if you are into the Olympics.
  14. Kaxtar

Kaxtar

It is blasphemous to visit NYC and not stop at a good Jewish deli. Roxy's is my personal favorite. Pricey but well worth it.
  15. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

NY is a big state, be more specific
  16. Cybertron

Cybertron Can't Hit WoW
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

NYC? :D

If you're interested in cheap Asian food, Flushing in Queens, NY has a ton of different choices and options and all are very reasonably priced compared to a lot of restaurants in Manhattan. I can give you some specifics if you're interested. Chinatown's not bad either but that place is just shitty and smelly in general...
  17. BiGGiE

BiGGiE bangin' on a trash can
    is a Battle Server Moderator

So many Smogon New Yorkers.

All of the above are pretty good suggestions. If you want to go to a famous location and are of age (or can pretend to be..), I'd suggest going to McSorely's Old Ale House. They only serve one type of drink, but it's quite good (in my opinion) and definitely a great historical bar to visit.
  18. iDunno

iDunno

Soho's a pretty fun place to hang out if you're in the neighborhood. There's quite a few quaint little restaurants there (as well as some not so quaint, but still good) that could be fun to eat at and there's usually some great art there whether it be from people on the street or from indoor art exhibitions.

There's also a fun little place called Broadway you may or may not have heard of. There's always at least one cool show going on there. You have to buy tickets a bit in advance though in many cases to get good seats.

The best part of any vacation in my opinion is exploring aimlessly for places to eat while you drink in your surroundings and become immersed in the culture. In a place as diverse as New York, it's even better.

EDIT: Also Empire State building :/
  19. Vineon

Vineon Fleurdelysé
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Do Americans not realize that when a foreigner refers to New York, it is always the city?
  20. CaptainKishimoto

CaptainKishimoto

=] My fault if it wasn't clear!

Ah, I knew I was forgetting something.

Great suggestions so far, keep 'em coming =D
  21. TsukasaSIGN

TsukasaSIGN

I'm also going to New York for the first time (in June) and my friend who used to live there has been telling of all these coffee shops to check out and other cool, hip, indie places. My parents really fucking want some NYC pizza. I just want to go to the pokemon center. What are some great coffee/record/pizza places?
  22. WaterBomb

WaterBomb because exploding camels wasn't enough
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator

Stay away from the Apple store. It's a ridiculous sheep farm.
  23. THE_IRON_KENYAN

THE_IRON_KENYAN 0 vv 0
    is a Forum Moderator

You should go to Pibs BBQ
  24. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

he's only from Toronto, he should know better

I stand here to represent the 99% of the state of New York that ISN'T New York City, LONG LIVE THE 99 PERCENTERS
  25. Chill Murray

Chill Murray get well soon jacoby..

NY is comprised of three parts: Manhattan, Long Island, and Other.

Also, if you're into Italian food check out Carmine's, as bojangles stated. Rose's Pizza in Penn Station is one of the best pizza places in the world.

Go to the American Museum of Natural History. It's awesome.

Nintendo World is a little bit underwhelming but it's only a few blocks away from Times Square, so worth checking out if you're in the area.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)