SM UU Golden

ehT

:dog:
is a Contributor Alumnus

Walking a stretch of road
Miles of light explode
Driftin' off a thing
I'd never done before

Hey, everyone, it's been a long time since I've posted an RMT. A year and a half, in fact. I've grown a lot as a user and as a person since then, in ways I didn't think were possible until they happened: I've learned to code, I've made real life friends, and sought help for my medical problems. And I wanted to post this for myself, more than anything, both as a sendoff for SM and as a time capsule for this very happy time in my life. And though Mega Latias is gone, which I didn't entirely agree with, I'm excited to see where both the tier and I will go in the coming months.

Watchin' a crowd roll in
Out go the lights it begins
A feelin' in my bones
I never felt before

I wanted to start with the nasty wallbreaking core of CB Terrakion and Specs Hydreigon, since they are both mons I love to use. I'm opening myself up to a lot defensively–Fighting, Fairies, Latias, VoltTurn–right off the bat at the cost of wallbreaking power, but it's nothing my other four can't handle.

Mega Latias is the defensive lynchpin of this team, as it is my best best versus Fighting and Electrics, and does a decent job supporting the first two for that reason. I decided on a BoltBeam + HP Fire set despite my first two doing OK-ish versus Scizor because the lack of an Electric immunity means I need everyone I can to punish Scizor for trying to spam U-turn.

Scarf Infernape is our Speed control because it's the best Scarfer in the tier right now and checks a bunch of stuff with its STAB's while U-turning on everything else. It can also switch into a couple things in a pinch thanks to its typing. This team would fold to Sceptile, Beedrill, and opposing Scarfers pretty fast without it.

Mixed Metagross is a fun ORAS set that I brought back for this team because of the offensive role compression it provides. Though it doesn't directly support any one thing besides maybe Terrakion, being able to lure Waters, Grounds, and Scizor then soften something up with Boom gives the other five a lot of leeway just by attacking what's in front of it.

MixGross is great for this team, but having a Steel with no bulk investment in a tier run by Latias is kinda shit, so I added Klefki on the end to pick up the defensive slack and provide general chip damage via Spikes and poison, as well as act as a blanket check to Fairies, Dragons, Darks, and U-turn.

People always told me
That bars are dark and lonely
And talk is often cheap
And filled with air

Terrakion @

Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Stone Edge
Close Combat
Earthquake
Rock Slide
One of the two main breakers I wanted to start with. Pretty prediction-reliant because of how easy Terrak's STAB's are to punish by themselves despite being fucking bonkers together, but that goes both ways cause of how many switches it forces by virtue of being Terrakion, and unless they have Hippowdon or Doublade clicking Stone Edge smashes something 9 times out of 10 anyway. It's the only real physical breaker on this team, so it has to be preserved it at all costs versus stall until it's done its job. It's kinda tough to pull that off with only one consistent U-turner on the team, but Spikes, Hydreigon, and Metagross in combination do a good enough job applying pressure that Terrakion can get some predicted switches that way.

Hydreigon @

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Draco Meteor
Dark Pulse
U-turn
Flamethrower​

Specs Hydreigon is a monster and I love it. Unlike Terrakion it actually has really good defensive utility which overlaps with Latias's, giving you lots of chances to spam Draco / Dark Pulse. It's also the team's best Psychic and Water check. I would put Flash Cannon over U-turn, since Fairies can be pretty tough to wear down if I don't get Spikes up, but I was desperate for some sort of momentum, and Klefki, Metagross, and Terrakion do a decent enough job pressuring Fairies between them.

Latias-Mega @

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Recover
Hidden Power [Fire]
Mega Lati's arguably the most important defensive presence on this team, stopping it from getting 6-0'd by Cobalion, Water-types, and Manectric all in one, while still being pretty strong and tough to take advantage of. You have to be pretty careful treating it as a Volt resist because of how common Pursuit is on VoltTurn, but in all other matchups it's a pretty reliable tank. Calm Mind BoltBeam is an option I thought of here because I don't have a setup mon, but I don't really have the proper support for it (Heal Bell etc), and being forced out 100% by Scizor is way too annoying to let happen on a team whose main offensive presence is so vulnerable to it.

Infernape @

Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
Flare Blitz
Close Combat
U-turn
Stone Edge
Infernape was chosen as our revenge killer because of how spammable its STAB's are and how exploitable its switch-ins are, forcing Latias, Rotom-W, and Swampert in versus our powerhouses via U-turn. I had Gunk Shot over Stone Edge because Primarina is always annoying, but I realized my weakness to Mega Aero was too big not to patch up and let Spikes and pivoting be my counterplay to Pimarina. Super solid mon overall.

Metagross @

Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
Grass Knot
Hidden Power [Fire]
Explosion
Stealth Rock
The second mon on this team with no STAB move, mixed lure Metagross is an awesome set that frees up the rest of the team a bunch by not having to get worn down checking Waters, Grounds, and Scizor, all of which think they can safely come in then get blown away. It's tough in a lot of matchups to set up Rocks with this thing because it's kind of frail, but the threat of a physical set is usually enough to get a free turn versus a lot of the stuff Metagross checks by way of its typing. Boom is super useful because this team needs all the momentum it can get and relies pretty heavily on some easy to wear down mons to do damage, and even with no Attack investment it still does crazy damage because Orb Metagross is just that strong.

Klefki @

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 SpD
Careful Nature
Play Rough
Spikes
Toxic
Thunder Wave
Klefki is tacked on the end to make up for the defensive holes left by an offensive Metagross, and has amazing defensive synergy with Latias. The spread isn't as fancy as it looks, just equal defenses. All around it probably provides the most important support on the team with Spikes, Toxic, and T-Wave, which are my only consistent counterplay to most fast offensive stuff like Manectric, Beedrill, and opposing Latias, and Sceptile. It pretty much guarantees a Spike or two every game, and alongside Latias is the main reason this team doesn't fold to any offensive build.

Sure, sometimes they thrill me
But nothin' could ever chill me
Like the way they make
The time just disappear

Threatlist:
- I only have Spikes, Latias, and Infernape to pressure Manectric, making it really annoying to wear down, but once hazards are up it's on a timer, so I can weather the storm of Volt spam relatively comfortably as long as Infernape and at least one Dragon are alive.
- Cobalion in general is really only stopped by Latias, Klefki's T-Wave, and Infernape, the former of which dies to Z Iron Head, and the latter of which can't switch in, basically forcing a sack in all scenarios.
- If I let Muk trap Latias a huge amount of mons become a lot more annoying to deal with, namely Waters and Electrics. This is made worse by my lack of an Electric immunity and how common Muk is on VoltTurn, so I have to be smart with which mons I pivot into in those matchups to not get caught in the vortex.
- Talon with Gale Wings active more or less forces a sack if it gets to +2 to revenge with Infernape or eat a hit with Latias. Thankfully it's not as common as it was before Rotom-W dropped but it's pretty annoying when you do see it.
- A well-played CM Suicune can get out of hand pretty quickly. Spikes are helpful to wear it down but you're ultimately forced to sack Hydreigon or Terrakion to beat it down as you force it to Rest. VinCune is tough to set up on anything besides maybe Latias, but nothing else lets it get a Sub for free.
- SD Absol basically just wins if you let Klefki and Infernape get weakened. At least one of them has to be kept healthy at all times for this reason, so that gives the Absol player a lot of leeway because of how pressured my main anti-offense mons are just to not lose.
- Aero is probably the toughest matchup this team has. Infernape can revenge / force it out if Rocks are up, but scouting out its coverage is a massive pain, and it can revenge everything but Latias (though Crunch was definitely a thing in M-Lati meta) given the proper coverage.

Feelin' you here again
Hot on my skin again.
Feelin' good's a thing
I'd never known before

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 SpD
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave

What does it mean to feel?
Millions of dreams come real
A feelin' in my soul
I'd never felt before

Shoutouts:
Ark
A Cake Wearing A Hat
explodingdaisies
Hogg
pokemon sparrow
Hikari
TSR
CoolStoryBrobat
Renny_
LeoLancaster
Amaroq
Killintime
Sacri'
Metric
esche
Euphonos
HotFuzzBall
i like cute things
Pearl
Cynde
Hilomilo
Eyan
r0ady
Paraplegic
Drew
Nat
Adaam
Slurmz
Shiba
Yifeng
Sun
And UU room frequenters. You know who you are <3

And you, you'd always told me
No matter how long it holds me
If it falls apart
Or makes us millonaires

You'll be right here forever
We'll go through this thing together
And on heaven's golden shore
We'll lay our heads

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)