1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Golemnism and co.

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by wesley8631, Aug 14, 2013.

1. wesley8631

wesley8631

Hi everyone :) This is my first NU rmt so please give suggestions :D
    [​IMG]
    Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Toxic Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Facade
    - Quick Attack
    - Night Slash
    - Close Combat

Zangoose is both my cleaner and sweeper. After it is poisoned, it can do a hell lot of damage with facade. Night Slash Finishes up Golurk and misdreavus whereas close combat deals more damage to pokemon who resist STAB, like Klang. Jolly allows Zangoose to run max speed, outspeeding some threats.
    [​IMG]
    Musharna @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Calm Nature
    - Psychic
    - Thunder Wave
    - Baton Pass
    - Moonlight

Musharna is my special wall. It walls many pokemon like Jynx and Sawk despite no defense investment. There is maximum HP and S def investment for Misdreavus is my physical wall. Psychic prevents Musharna from being useless when taunted. T wave cripples targets who cannot OHKO musharna. Note heal bell was not chosen because Zangoose needs the Toxic. Moonlight heals up damage while baton pass ensures pokemon like zangoose come in safely.
    [​IMG]
    Golem @ Custap Berry
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Explosion
    - Rock Blast

My lead of choice. It can set up rocks every match reliably. Earthquake has STAB and does reliable damage when needed with STAB. Rock Blast is because stone edge sucks. Explosion lets golem go off with a bang when custap activates with study.

upload_2013-8-14_16-56-36.png
    Misdreavus @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 220 Def / 248 HP / 40 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Foul Play
    - Pain Split
    - Taunt

My physical wall. Will-O-Wisp burns targets and completely renders most physical pokemon useless. Foul play obliterates SD Samurott and does more damage than shadow ball. Pain split helps recover some health and taunt blocks up set ups.
    upload_2013-8-14_16-58-42.png
    Rotom-Fan @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Air Slash
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Trick

My special attacker. It does a hell lot of damage when equipped with specs, my item of choice. Air slash can be used against Golurk on the switch for a 2HKO. Volt Switch allows to maintain momentum. T bolt does maximum damage while trick cripples defensive pokemon.
    [​IMG]
    Liepard @ Leftovers
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 80 HP / 8 Def / 168 Spd / 252 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Foul Play
    - Substitute
    - Swagger
    - Thunder Wave

My saviour and haxer, especially against set up pokemon. Prankster allows priority T wave and swagger. Sub can be used when opponent is confused and gains another turn to rely on hax to kill the opponent. Foul play has synergy with swagger. Evs allow 5 subs at full health.

Well that's all folks! Please give me opinions to improve my team!
  2. wesley8631

wesley8631

It did show 3 lines when i was typing
  3. Plus

Plus gifted unlimited rhymes universal
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

The lack of a water resist makes this team, well, weak to water types in NU. SD Samurott in particular looks pretty threatening because it can pick off and kill many pokemon with Aqua Jet, Waterfall and Megahorn. I suppose Misdreavus can outspeed it and attempt to cripple with Will-O-Wisp, but that isn't really a safe option at all. It's nice that you have Musharna in there because it checks a lot of threats and can cripple them with paralysis so Zangoose can sweep, and can take most specially based water types. But like Samurott and physically based water-types, I'd watch out for Carracosta simply because it can come in on your Rotom's Air Slash, Shell Smash in it's face, and proceed to sweep a good portion of your team if you are not careful.

Golem's a great lead and all, but I think you could afford to try out Seismitoad (which does pretty well as a lead anyway) over Golem for the Water immunity. It beats out common leads such as Golem, Piloswine, Armaldo, Golurk, and Regirock, which is really nifty. Having a water immunity lets you have more freedom as to what you want to switch in on various water-types. The more specially based water types that run HP Grass can be handled by Musharna due to it's bulk, while things like Samurott can be handled by a more defensively oriented Seismitoad. Also, Seismitoad is not as dedicated of a lead as Custap Golem is, meaning you can lead with something else (say Rotom, for example), and it won't necessarily hinder its effectiveness. If Golem were to switch in on entry hazard damage, the custap strategy would fail for the most part -- but the same cannot be said for Seismitoad.

I'm really not a fan of SwagPlay but it does save you in clutch situations, I will admit. This is an optional suggestion based purely on my experience and success with using it, but you can try out Encore/U-Turn over Substitute and Swagger. This saves you against set up sweepers, and easily gets your offensive momentum going as your opponent will most likely switch after being Encored, thus letting you U-turn to an appropriate Pokemon. If they choose to stay in, that's equally as beneficial as your opponent is essentially giving you free turns. Prankster Encore is a really neat and effective way to check multiple threats in the metagame such as Sub Misdreavus, Sub Braviary, Sub anything, really. But again, I can understand if you want to keep your swagplay; many people do. Just make sure if you do choose to run Encore/u-turn you change the nature to Jolly and give it a max attack IV so it can do more damage with U-turn.

Seismitoad@leftovers
    relaxed 200 hp / 252 def / 56 spdef
    scald/earthquake/stealth rock/knock off

Good luck with this team; this is very solid for a first NU team.
  4. Detective Dell

Detective Dell Winter Hibernation of the Yarnasauruses
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Hi there!

Aside from the suggestions made by Plus, it seems that you have a pretty bad match up against most Dark-types, especially Pokes like Shiftry and Skuntank. Shiftry's mixed offensive set is able to break through so much of this team between its Life Orb-boosted Dual STAB special attacks and its ability to force your offensive Pokemon into a mind-game with its STAB Sucker Punch, making it difficult for you to attempt to handle it easily. Skuntank is able to force mind-games in a similar way, while you don't really have anything that matches up well against it otherwise (though Seismitoad will help a bit on that part).

With this, I don't find Liepard's role on this team to be particularly beneficial for you over something with more utility, as the only important thing that will be of help here is its priority Encore, which is not necessary as this team is that vulnerable against set up sweepers to really warrant it. Instead, I think that Mandibuzz will be a more suitable Pokemon on this team, as it's able to switch into those two Dark-type threats a lot more easily and wall them with the combination of its bulk, Roost, and Toxic, while also functioning as a secondary check to Samurott with its STAB Foul Play (and honestly, Seimitoad isn't going to help much regarding that it is 2HKO'd by a boosted Megahorn and OHKO'd by an HP Grass, while Earthquake doesn't do much thanks to Samurott's naturally good bulk). While you lose priority Encore, you still have some useful utility from Taunt and Toxic/Whirlwind, allowing you to still match up reliably against various set up sweepers.

Good luck.

5. wesley8631

wesley8631

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)