Resource Good Cores in NU

Status
Not open for further replies.
freeze dry cryo poopies on your core though so something bulky unaffected by freeze dry is almost mandatory
Stone edge and the fact that cryo has more or less no physical defence removes him pretty much out of the equation though.

252+ Atk Kabutops Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 4+ Def Cryogonal: 147-174 (42.7 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Kabutops Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cryogonal: 322-381 (114.1 - 135.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Kabutops Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cryogonal: 357-420 (103.7 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Kabutops Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cryogonal: 890-1050 (258.7 - 305.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Kabutops Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cryogonal: 446-528 (129.6 - 153.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You can also predict the rapid spin of Cryo and switch in for the weak armor boost and OHKO with Stone Edge.

And yes, a mon like Uxie or Mesprit would also fit the role Xatu is filling now, but then you'll need to wait for your defogger/spinner to remove hazards before Kabutops can set up for his sweep.

I accidentally doubleposted, sorry, Can-Eh-Dian posted while I was typing.
Offensive Core:
View attachment 25503+View attachment 25504
Obviously Ludi-tops has been an extremely hyped rain offense core that the NU room has been theorymonning about forever. Under rain, these two destroy each others checks and can beat the majority of the metagame with their wide coverage, high offensive stats and blistering speed due to Swift Swim. Superpower can be used over Waterfall on Kabutops or Focus Blast can be used on Ludicolo to help beat Ferroseed.

View attachment 25503
Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance / Focus Blast
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

+

View attachment 25504
Kabutops @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall / Superpower
You'll need something to deal with Gurdurr and Hariyama for sure. Even when they switch in, they can both survive and bring hurt with their priorities. When they switch in on the Swords Dance, they basically OHKO you.

0 Atk Hariyama Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kabutops: 290-344 (110.6 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Gurdurr Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kabutops: 222-264 (85 - 101.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Poliwrath Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kabutops: 236-282 (90 - 107.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

If you go for Waterfall instead of Superpower, you have nothing for Poliwrath or Ferroseed. If you go for Superpower over Waterfall, you lose your 100% accuracy stab. Your core is fully reliable on a third mon that covers those weaknesses.

I suggest something like Swellow or Xatu.

Last edited:
You'll need something to deal with Gurdurr and Hariyama for sure. Even when they switch in, they can both survive and bring hurt with their priorities. When they switch in on the Swords Dance, they basically OHKO you.
umm...

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Hariyama in Rain: 645-760 (150.3 - 177.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Gurdurr in Rain: 394-464 (105.6 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If they come in on an SD they both get OHKO'd and you can just run Focus blast on Ludicolo if you really need to. There's a reason the Waterfall is the primary slash. Not to mention throughout a match if you rely on Ferroseed to check Ludicolo, it will get worn down due to the lack of reliable recovery and eventually fall to one of the two.

Most Hariyama's run 252 defence or atleast some HP. Also, you got to consider the fact they do not always switch into you. They might be there before you are by sacking a mon or just being there for some odd reason. If that's the case, your Kabutops is not +2 and Gurdurr does have Bulk Up, Mach Punch and Drain punch.

Poliwrath still is a problem.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Most Hariyama's run 252 defence or atleast some HP. Also, you got to consider the fact they do not always switch into you. They might be there before you are by sacking a mon or just being there for some odd reason. If that's the case, your Kabutops is not +2 and Gurdurr does have Bulk Up, Mach Punch and Drain punch.

I think you are forgetting that this is just a core, its not an entire team. You can run other Pokemon to deal with problems a core has. Also Ludicolo deals with Poliwrath and Hariyama and Gurdurr both do not outspeed and as Can-eh-dian showed with his calcs you can OHKO after +2. That is also the common spread used on Hariyama, it doesnt really run HP anymore and splits it between Def and SpD.

Also Gurdurr can't OHKO with Mach Punch:
252+ Atk Gurdurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kabutops: 120-144 (45.9 - 55.1%) -- 55.9% chance to 2HKO

This argument doesnt make any sense because it I have to bring a mon into Gurdurr or Yama why would I not bring in Ludicolo who handles them better? Poliwrath also loses straight up to Ludicolo, this core isn't just kabutops. I echo Mont's statement that this is just a core and you can build a team around it to handle specific threats as well

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Poliwrath is never specially defensive and should never be. It needs to be physically defensive if it wants to answer Feraligatr, Carracosta, and Barbaracle reliably, and this helps it in checking Kabutops better as well.

Also, Hariyama's best spread is 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD because its HP is already so huge that investment in its lower defenses goes further in enhancing its bulk. The only exception to this is the uncommon SpDef Thick Fat Hariyama, which is only really used on stall.

Offensive core
The FWG core :] The only static member is kabutops here as the offensive kind revolves around luring out each others counters forming a solid core with a good amount of momentum If you can predict. As examples I'll be using Lilligant and Typhlosion as my Grass and Fire

Kabutops @ Life Orb/ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature/ Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin/ Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

Lilligant (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Nature Power

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Extrasensory
- Focus Blast

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
welp, the OP exceeded the max character limit. Fortunately enough I happened to have posted a core on the second post, so Defensive and Balanced cores will be shifted there (there are way too many offensive cores ._. )

I've updated the OPs but I left out the Kabutops cores until they can actually be tested on the ladder.

physical defense core

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Roar

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Seed Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak

These two form a really tough physically defensive core. Everyone knows about Steelix's bulk, and its only glaring physical weaknesses are fighting, water, and ground, all of which are resisted by Gourgeist. This pair also conveniently has hazards + spinblocking. As for the special side of things, I'm currently running them with Audino and Dragalge, but not really sure if this is the best combination. But if you're looking to stop almost any physical sweeper with just two slots, here you go. Things to watch out for are things that get water+dark (Feraligatr, Floatzel) as well as things that get dark+fighting (Hariyama, Gurdurr).

So I don't really know what type of core this is (i think its a balanced/defensive core, but I honestly don't know and most of the team isn't really based around it since I try to run a nice balance of offense and defense on most teams. I like having options so sue me :P)

any way here is the core:

Avalugg @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 hp/ 4 atk/ 252 spdef
Nature: Careful (+spdef, -spatk)
Moves:
Avalanche
Earthquake
Iron Defense
Recover

Nature: Careful
Moves:
Leech Seed
Will-o-Wisp
Seed Bomb
Rock Slide

these two form a strong defensive combination of both special and physical defenses (avalugg getting the best of both) with gougeist burning and seeding and avalugg being well just a giant wall of ice that can't be easily taken down thanks to iron defense, recover, lefties, burns, and leech seed. this is of course out side of things like toxic poison since it can have massive staying power even when burned or normal poison. they both have a stab and coverage move that lets them do more than just stall to. Avalanche on lugg is by far the best stab move for it due to its low speed and eq is to help deal with fire, steel, and poison types. while gourgeist gets seed bomb as being its stab of choice due to its power and rock slide for coverage against fire, flying, ice, and bug (plus it has a flinch chance so that's always good, though not likely to happen due to its low speed).

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Seismitoad (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Ferroseed (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Spikes

Mismagius (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 124 SpD / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute / Taunt
- Pain Split / Destiny Bond

So this is a defensive core I've been playing around and still working on lately with the departure of Spiritomb. It's your standard Seismi + Ferro for hazard stacking, and with their bulk allows to wall some of the harder hitters that Mismagius may have trouble with. Mismagius is what interested me the most when re-building my team. At first I had Misdreavus for more bulk until I realized my team got swept by too many relevant offensive cores and threats. I added in Mismagius as the spin blocker instead and decided to go out of the normal NP set that people run for my own personal sake. The premise behind this set is to be able to check offensive threats especially strong attackers who would be hurt by Foul Play. One of the advantages of a more supportive Mismagius is that a lot of leads that are generally used are either prone to burn or one of its support moves mentioned in the core above. The support allows the core and team to function more properly either due to added bulk from the attack drop burns induce, Taunt / Substitute to stall break a bit better, or Foul Play to punish heavy hitters. Speed is to outrun Zangoose and handle it with the first slash of moves on the set, which is relevant for my team in particular. Speed can be increased to outrun some other stuff at the cost of losing some special bulk so depends on what is needed, the special bulk does hit a mark where Life Orb Mismagius needs to 2HKO at full health so that's a little fun fact. To be honest Mismagius can fit on a lot of defensive cores so it's something to consider.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
as you all know this was project of the week last week and I'm supposed to pick a best contributor u_u everything in life is a competition smh

i decided that the best contributor would be: Brawlfest. it was a tough decision because a lot of contributions were amazing but i picked him because he posted quite a few effective cores and in addition contributed pretty well to the discussion of others' cores, and not many people did this. Congratulations, Brawlfest!

Raseri should put his name somewhere soon

As for everyone else please don't get discouraged, keep posting :) y'all gave me a hard time picking so that's great :o

I'll update the OP soon, a lil tired to do it now.

So I don't really know what type of core this is (i think its a balanced/defensive core, but I honestly don't know and most of the team isn't really based around it since I try to run a nice balance of offense and defense on most teams. I like having options so sue me :P)

any way here is the core:

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Nature: Careful (+spdef, -spatk)
Moves:
Avalanche
Earthquake
Iron Defense
Recover

Nature: Careful
Moves:
Leech Seed
Will-o-Wisp
Seed Bomb
Rock Slide

these two form a strong defensive combination of both special and physical defenses (avalugg getting the best of both) with gougeist burning and seeding and avalugg being well just a giant wall of ice that can't be easily taken down thanks to iron defense, recover, lefties, burns, and leech seed. this is of course out side of things like toxic poison since it can have massive staying power even when burned or normal poison. they both have a stab and coverage move that lets them do more than just stall to. Avalanche on lugg is by far the best stab move for it due to its low speed and eq is to help deal with fire, steel, and poison types. while gourgeist gets seed bomb as being its stab of choice due to its power and rock slide for coverage against fire, flying, ice, and bug (plus it has a flinch chance so that's always good, though not likely to happen due to its low speed).
This core is SUPER FREAKIN WEAK to any special attacking Fire type. Dragalge or Thick Fat Hariyama teammates may be able to patch that up. Also, Iron Defense is irrelevant on Avalugg; its defense are already so high. And Gourgeist also seems to be more of a bulky physical hitter rather than a wall.

I found a good offensive setup core, this has been tested:

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

Cacturne @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Wild Charge
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Basically how it works is Pyroar does a great job at luring in Seismitoad and Golem and other similar pokes. By switching to cacturne, seismitoad will almost always switch out and Golem is easy enough to set up on even if it stays in, especially if Sturdy is broken. In addition, Grass-type walls like switching into cacturne, and Steel-type walls can switch into an unboosted cacturne, and Pyroar can take care of those. These two pokes have one problem: Fighting weakness. However, many fighting-types are forced out by ghost-types, and Mismagius takes advantage of that and can set up a sub. I recommend using something not weak to Knock Off that resists Fighting as well, or some defensive wall, although many fighting types can be ohko'd by +2 sucker punch or +0 shadow ball after a fire blast/hyper voice from pyroar.

Last edited:
This is a tried and true physical core that I have been using to great effect.

(Granbull) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Heal Bell
- Roar

(Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

These two work as an amazing physical core, as they cover each others weaknesses very well. They also wall majority of the tier on their on!
This tag team always puts in their fair share of work no matter what play style I put them on. And the utility they provide in heal bell, roar, and stealth rocks are a welcome to any team. I highly recommend these two if you have not tried this core yet!

EDIT: Thank you Pooch13 for pointing out I had the wrong ability on Toad

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Core:

So on a lot of teams recently I've been running HO and it is a ton of fun. One of the big problems it faces however is keeping its hazards on the field and removing opponents hazards which tend to wear down HO quite quickly. This core is designed to preserve hazards on your opponents side of the field while removing them from your own.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Rotom is a fantastic pokemon in this meta. Ever since Spiritomb left for RU, teams have been struggling to find spin blockers and Rotom has come out on top along with Mismagius. However what Rotom has going for it is a bunch of fantastic resistances that allow it to pivot in, force the switch, and volt switch out into a better matchup. It also has incredible utility between Trick and Will-o-Wisp. I chose Will-o-Wisp over Thunderbolt because it allows Rotom to cripple switchins to its stabs while retaining its scarf, and then to beat Sucker Punch users. If Rotom needs to stay in then it has Shadow Ball to spam while Volt Switch usually supplies enough power.

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Cryogonal has quickly become my favorite rapid spinner in the tier. Early on in XY I tried out Cryogonal with a LO and did not like it, however once Spiritomb left and the tier lost its best spinblocker, Cryogonal can now reliably beat pretty much every spinblocker. Leftovers increases Cryogonals longevity, meaning that if it has to come in multiple times on rocks without being able to spin then it doesn't have to Recover right away. The loss of power isn't a problem as Cryogonal isn't gonna beat any special walls anyways and can easily wear down anything that lacks recovery. Not only can Cryogonal spin, it can also be used as an offensive pivot, switching in on any special attacker and then switching / spinning / attacking / recovering.

This is one of my favorite cores right now and I highly recommend trying it out. Some things to use on the team include a hazard setter like Crustle, something to absorb knock offs and some other things (not gonna build the entire team for yah ;) ).

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
+

Rotom-Fan @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Feraligatr @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
Happiness: 0
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Frustration
- Swords Dance

Been playing around with Rotom-S + Feraligatr lately, and it has been working quite well. Electric + Flying + Grass coverage is quite nice, and happens to hit hard most of Feraligatr's checks or counters (Vileplume, Poliwrath, Seismitoad, Lanturn (does a good amount and puts it in +2 Frustration range), Tangela, Gourgheist, etc. Rotom-S is actually quite dangerous for balance teams as it can also potentially 2HKO AV Hariyama too, and Rhydon isn't safe either. Another reason I like Expert Belt Rotom-S is that it lets me click Volt Switch as much as I want, and if they decide to try blocking it with a Ground-type, it will get punish with HP Grass. Finally, we got good ol' Gatr that will easily sweep teams once you weaken / remove its counters. SD Samurott can be nice with Rotom-S too if you want to be an hipster :)

@ below I just run stallbreaker Mismagius to keep entry hazards off the field, not hard to prevent entry hazards with offensive pressure and a good taunt user. Cryogonal can definitely work though

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
+

Rotom-Fan @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Feraligatr @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
Happiness: 0
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Frustration
- Swords Dance

Been playing around with Rotom-S + Feraligatr lately, and it has been working quite well. Electric + Flying + Grass coverage is quite nice, and happens to hit hard most of Feraligatr's checks or counters (Vileplume, Poliwrath, Seismitoad, Lanturn (does a good amount and puts it in +2 Frustration range), Tangela, Gourgheist, etc. Rotom-S is actually quite dangerous for balance teams as it can also potentially 2HKO AV Hariyama too, and Rhydon isn't safe either. Another reason I like Expert Belt Rotom-S is that it lets me click Volt Switch as much as I want, and if they decide to try blocking it with a Ground-type, it will get punish with HP Grass. Finally, we got good ol' Gatr that will easily sweep teams once you weaken / remove its counters. SD Samurott can be nice with Rotom-S too if you want to be an hipster :)
Cool core SG! I'll definitely try it out soon. What hazard removers would go well with this core? Rotom-S doesn't like stealth rock and Gatr gets kinda worn down by hazards in general.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cool core SG! I'll definitely try it out soon. What hazard removers would go well with this core? Rotom-S doesn't like stealth rock and Gatr gets kinda worn down by hazards in general.
It's not my core, but I'd use HP fire / freeze dry LO Cryogonal, as it beats all of those bulky waters and grasses mentioned above, including lanturn, and can lure in and take out Ferroseed with HP fire. It also appreciates rotom-s's ability to take on hariyama, and can still spin on the majority of teams, making a gatr sweep even easier.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
bulky offensive core

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 124 Def / 124 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 188 HP / 144 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Substitute

These guys make bulky offense a breeze. Steelix is a really fat and really strong Stealth Rock setter. I love Leftovers Sheer Force Steelix because it hits hard without having to sacrifice any bulk. It also soaks up Knock Off well for the team because even though Hariyama resists it, its Vest is usually more important than Steelix's Leftovers. Steelix also covers Flying-types and the occasional physical Mesprit, which helps out Hariyama a ton. Hariyama covers pretty much every non-Psychic-type special attacker in the tier, and it specifically resists Fire for Steelix. Uxie is a catch all that covers mostly everything else, and it gives a nice Fighting- and Ground-resist for the rest of the core. Most importantly, it offers me some way to break through stall, which can be really difficult for bulky offense teams.

Things this core doesn't cover include Water-types (Feraligatr check, mostly, though Uxie can finish one off with Giga Drain), and special LO Mesprit. Though Uxie walls most special Mesprit barring those with Signal Beam, it can't really do much in return, which means you'll want something else that can both take a hit or two and break through it. Generally speaking, you should be fine with throwing on a fast offensive Grass-type and something like a Pawniard or Liepard, special shoutout to Pursuit variants of both. Toxic Spikes can also be a bit annoying depending on the rest of your team, but how important it is to cover them should be easy to tell.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Defensive core:

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Dragon Tail
- Scald / Rest
- Protect / Sleep Talk

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Ferroseed has two weaknesses: Fighting and Fire attacks. Dragalge resists both of those. Dragalge has four weaknesses: Ferroseed resists two of them and is neutral to the other two. Even better, Dragalage's natural special bulk and Ferroseed's natural physical bulk work well together, allowing them to take on various threats much more easily. Between the two of them, they have access to every entry hazard with the exception of Sticky Web, and they are capable of forming a defensive core that shuts down many offensive threats. This core is capable of shutting down Feraligatr, Samurott, Seismitoad, and all of the Water-types in the tier. Dragalge can take Fire spam and Gurdurr / Hariyama. Even with minimal Special Defense investment, Ferroseed is able to take on Mesprit and Uxie and it has the physical bulk to easily handle Ground-types like Rhydon that Dragalge fears.

Last edited:
Defensive core:

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Dragon Tail
- Scald / Rest
- Protect / Sleep Talk

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Ferroseed has two weaknesses: Fighting and Fire attacks. Dragalge resists both of those. Dragalge has four weaknesses: Ferroseed resists two of them and is neutral to the other two. Even better, Dragalage's natural special bulk and Ferroseed's natural physical bulk work well together, allowing them to take on various threats much more easily. Between the two of them, they have access to every entry hazard with the exception of Sticky Web, and they are capable of forming a defensive core that shuts down many offensive threats. This core is capable of shutting down Feraligatr, Samurott, Seismitoad, and all of the Water-types in the tier. Dragalge can take Fire spam and Gurdurr / Hariyama. Even with minimal Special Defense investment, Ferroseed is able to take on Mesprit and Uxie and it has the physical bulk to easily handle Ground-types like Rhydon that Dragalge fears.
I've used this core a lot before and it is very very solid but imo you need to add a third mon to the core such as thick fat hariyama or something that can take ice and fire spam because many mixed sweepers can easily dismantle this core (mixed E vire, mixed magmortar and even HP fire mesprit). Sure, hari cant handle mesprit well either but it wont switch easily knowing that hari packs Knock Off. Other than that the core does unbelievably well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)