Resource Good Cores in NU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've used this core a lot before and it is very very solid but imo you need to add a third mon to the core such as thick fat hariyama or something that can take ice and fire spam because many mixed sweepers can easily dismantle this core (mixed E vire, mixed magmortar and even HP fire mesprit). Sure, hari cant handle mesprit well either but it wont switch easily knowing that hari packs Knock Off. Other than that the core does unbelievably well :)
Audino is a good option to take those on as well, and it can offer Wish support, which is really helpful for Dragalge and allows you to click Leech Seed less frequently with Ferroseed. You still lose to the illustrious physical Electivire with Cross Chop and Earthquake, but that's not exactly difficult to cover with another team member.

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender

I loved this so much when i was testing teams for nu open. It made me get #1 on the ladder using the alt radiant glory when i was testing teams, and it helped me winning a bunch of games for the tournament. Restalk Malamar is a really underated mon at the current meta, as not only does it does check a lot of problematic mons such as CM xatu and Musharna, it just sweeps teams with literally no problem. Steelix does really well with it because you will see Pokemon going for u-turn a lot, and it pretty much walls any of the UTurn users, while audino helps out on the special defense side and also heal bells malamar after it rests, which is really helpfull sometimes. U just gotta get a typh / pyroar check, a hari / gurdurr check and a spinner / other set up sweeper that does well with malamar and you have a solid squad!

Audino is a good option to take those on as well, and it can offer Wish support, which is really helpful for Dragalge and allows you to click Leech Seed less frequently with Ferroseed. You still lose to the illustrious physical Electivire with Cross Chop and Earthquake, but that's not exactly difficult to cover with another team member.
Yeah tbh the third mon of the core is for debate, I use that two mon core along with healing wish mesprit and it works fine too. Depends on each team imo but what i was pointing out is that the core on itself can be dismantled by a couple of common threats. Audino seem like a very solid choice too tho :)

eziest u-turn of my life

&

Primeape @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Healing Wish
- U-turn

volt-turn is a style that hasn't really been looked into much this gen and which is why I'm sharing this with you.I started using this about 1-2 weeks ago and have been really enjoying it. Primeape forces out pokemon like probopass and klinkklang while forcing in pokemon like weezing and vileplume which makes it a perfect parnter for scarf mespirit.The core finds trouble with slurpuff which it can't really force so a reccomened team-mate would be probopass as it helps you check those mons better,has access to volt switch making it a nice pivot and sets up rocks which is good for any volt-turn team. So gl hf

Last edited:
eziest u-turn of my life

&

Primeape @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Healing Wish
- U-turn

volt-turn is a style that hasn't really been looked into much this gen and which is why I'm sharing this with you.I started using this about 1-2 weeks ago and have been really enjoying it. Primeape forces out pokemon like probopass and klinkklang while forcing in pokemon like weezing and vileplume which makes it a perfect parnter for scarf mespirit.The core finds trouble with granbull and slurpuff which it can't really force so a reccomened team-mate would be probopass as it helps you check those mons better,has access to volt switch making it a nice pivot and sets up rocks which is good for any volt-turn team. So gl hf
Tbh I see no reason to use Primeape in XY NU if it isn't Fist Plate Encore.. :/

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Except for the thing where CB Primeape can lure and beat Granbull. And how ScarfApe can threaten Sticky Web teams. It doesn't have just one viable set...
i wouldn't say it lures granbull lol. but regardless i still think CB is the best set on primeape, encore fist plate is cool, but niche at best. i do like the core tho i'd prolly run ice punch over eq

Reactions: kay
expert belt with encore is better on primape imo. +1 Gunk shot after intimidate and defiant has a good chance to knock out physically defensive Granbull.

This thread is dead af. Anyway the meta is slowly changing since the megas got the boot with more fatty teams starting to appear on the ladder. So I present you a classical Fighting+Dark+Psychic core that supports each other to achieve one goal: hole punching.

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

With Slurpuff gone, this thing can spam CC and Knock off with nothing to be scared about. Sturdy is better than Mold Breaker because it pretty much guarantees a kill and hitting weezing with EQ is a non-issue as Xatu can set up on it. Psychic types like Uxie and Mesprit are trapped by Liepard no problemo, so Sawk can have even more fun in the field.

Liepard @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Play Rough / Encore

LO Liepard is surprising strong and its used to boost Play Rough and U-Turn and overall stronger than Dread Plate. I use Play rough to avoid giving Pangoro a free switch which was a massive threat to my team. Anyway this is a major team player of this core, pursuit trapping other psychic types for CM Xatu (even though I have Psyshock to beat CM wars) and Sawk. More recommended Encore means opposing set up sweepers have to think twice setting up on choice locked Sawk.

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Def / 240 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

CM Xatu sets up on a lot of passive walls and is generally a win-condition. After Sawk smashes opposing Dark and Steels like Klingklang, Steelix, Pawniard and Liepard traps Psychics and Ghosts, Xatu has a field day. Prevents hazards and helps Sawk keep sturdy which could mean the opponent losing one more mon to Sawk.

I used this core one a balanced team with Hariyama w Heavy Slam which lures and 2HKOes Granbull after Stealth Rock. This core <3 #throwbacktogen5

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)