Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a thought: either remove the priority users, or toss up a sub. Easy.
Here's a thought: Try running a baton pass team before you condescendingly tell other people how to run theirs. Then tell us how easy it is to keep up a sub or remove priority users.
Iron Defense is a great move for BP Scolipede, because it can set up in the face of physical attackers, making it easier to keep subs.

On the subject of Scolipede, I like pairing it with Espeon better because it has access to Magic Bounce and can pass away its boosts before it gets Sucker Punched to death on the occasions I can't get enough Iron Defense boosts.

Here's a thought: Try running a baton pass team before you condescendingly tell other people how to run theirs. Then tell us how easy it is to keep up a sub or remove priority users.
Iron Defense is a great move for BP Scolipede, because it can set up in the face of physical attackers, making it easier to keep subs.

On the subject of Scolipede, I like pairing it with Espeon better because it has access to Magic Bounce and can pass away its boosts before it gets Sucker Punched to death on the occasions I can't get enough Iron Defense boosts.
Here's a thought: I have run baton pass teams in the past, so don't go around telling me I don't know what I'm talking about. Do you honestly think I would suggest something if I didn't know what the hell I was saying?

Most teams run one or two priority users, which is quite easy to get around if you have a trapper or a bit or residual damage, or in a punch, anything that resists its priority and can ohko. I will pull fucking calcs of + 2 defense gardevoir vs + however many free turns of set up, at least two, on the most common priority users if I have to. In my givin situation, passing quiver dances, it is very easy to keep up the sub against any single special attacker, and even if it breaks, that should be enough time to ko the threat that broke it.

I've always liked Gyarados and Lanturn/Quagsire as a defense duo. Yes, they're both Water types, but they have completely different weaknesses (except for Freeze Dry. ...dammit), and are actually pretty good at taking out the other's weaknesses; Gyarados sends Ground-types and (to a lesser extent) Grass-types running, Lanturn/Quagsire beats down Electric-types.

It's not a new core, per se, but I still like it.

Bet F/W/G core I've been able to find this gen. It should be fairly self-explanatory. I especially like it's versatility though. You could run the typical SpD Heatran and make Rotom-w a defensive resto-chesto for a more defensive team or go with ScarfTran and make Rotom-W Specs for a more offensive one.

Personally, I'm growing fond of Mega Aggron-Sylveon-Gyarados. Mega Aggron is one of the hardest to kill things I've ever seen, and Sylveon both covers for his meh special defense and his lack of reliable recovery through Wish. Gyarados rounds out the group by being able to beat most Fire and Ground types, both of which give the other two trouble. It's probably not the best possible setup, but considering that Aggron and Gyarados are two of my favorite pokemon, it's the one that I'm going to keep for a while.

Personally, I'm growing fond of Mega Aggron-Sylveon-Gyarados. Mega Aggron is one of the hardest to kill things I've ever seen, and Sylveon both covers for his meh special defense and his lack of reliable recovery through Wish. Gyarados rounds out the group by being able to beat most Fire and Ground types, both of which give the other two trouble. It's probably not the best possible setup, but considering that Aggron and Gyarados are two of my favorite pokemon, it's the one that I'm going to keep for a while.
Ground types carying stone edge could mean bad news bears for your core, none of them can switch in safely, you might want to reconsider the sylveon

Bet F/W/G core I've been able to find this gen. It should be fairly self-explanatory. I especially like it's versatility though. You could run the typical SpD Heatran and make Rotom-w a defensive resto-chesto for a more defensive team or go with ScarfTran and make Rotom-W Specs for a more offensive one.

Lately I've been using Amoongus > Megasaur due to its greater survivability with Regenerator, access to a perfectly Accurate Sleep Move, and the option to run Black Slude or another Item such as Life Orb for more Offensive variants. Not to mention that this also alleviates the "1 Mega Evolution per Team" limit, and allows me to run something else like Megagar, which can compliment the Core quite nicely with Wallbreaking Support for a Sweeper like Talonflame, who I've been using in conjunction with Rotom-W+Heatran+Amoongus and Gengar Mega.

Me and one of my friends have been trying out pangoro-mega manectric recently, parting shot into intimidate is amazing at crippling physical sweepers
The sets I've been running are

Manectric @manectite
ability: lightningrod > intimidate
EVs: 4hp/252spa/252spe
modest/timid nature
-thunderbolt
-volt switch
-overheat
-hidden power ice

Pangoro @ focus sash
ability: scrappy
EVs: 252atk/4def/252spd
adamant nature
-hammer arm
-parting shot
-poison jab
-stone edge

I feel like having a good scout like noivern and other u-turn/volt switch pokemon can help boost the effectiveness of this core

I know it isn't the best defensive core per se, the gen 5 throwback scizor/rotom-w/landorus-t core still lets you run absolute circles around people, and with good prediction none of them are going to be taking SE moves anyway. Just trying to mix it up 20 pages in.

I have a question, are there any good defensive cores for novices like myself to try? I'm trying to think of a team but I just can't pick a core to start with.

Through my experiences, I have found that a defensive core of Gliscor and Florges is tough to break, with Gengar being one of the few checks to it. I've used this core since x and y were released and don't plan on straying from it anytime soon.

I'm not sure how offensive or defensive you want to be, but gyarados loves something that can take on electric types. Trevenant doesn't really count, because every electric not named rotom-w is probably carrying HP ice. Excadrill could be a decent choice since it's neutral to ice and can spin rocks to make gyarados life last longer. Gastrodon could actually work ok too, as it doesn't double up on any weaknesses with gyarados and threatens electric types with earth power, and can nail a switch with toxic, which is important since gyarados is your only offensive poke so far.

Just some initial thoughts.
Thanks for the help. I'll probably go with Excadrill for spinning. Also thanks Exeggutive for the advice Latias seems like a good addition.

I like to use Rotom-H and Ferrothorn as a good defensive core. With Rotom-Hs new immunity to Paralysis and Ferrothorns new immunity to Spore, they resist the vast majority of the games status. Rotom-H absorbs both burn and paralysis, as well as tanking any fire type moves aimed at Ferro, also has a nice immunity to EarthQ which is often aimed at Ferro. Ferro then in turn has immunity to Toxic and now pretty much all sleep having immunities to both Sleep Powder and Spore (while hypnosis is rather uncommon) and resists Rotoms weakness to Rock and Water. Rotom-H also appreciates the increased healing from Leech Seed that Ferrothorn can provide and then forces out Grass-types which Ferro couldn't seed to begin with. And with there immunities to status funnily enough they spread it like crazy too :D

Rotom-H@Leftovers
Levitate
Bold 4HP/252Def/252SpD
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
(Yeah I know its physically defensive with WOW but I appreciate its defensive side more to better deal with Talonflames and Charizard-Xs who still deal a lot of damage to poor Rotom)

Ferrothorn@Leftovers
Iron Barbs
Impish 4HP/252Def/252SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

I like to use Rotom-H and Ferrothorn as a good defensive core. With Rotom-Hs new immunity to Paralysis and Ferrothorns new immunity to Spore, they resist the vast majority of the games status. Rotom-H absorbs both burn and paralysis, as well as tanking any fire type moves aimed at Ferro, also has a nice immunity to EarthQ which is often aimed at Ferro. Ferro then in turn has immunity to Toxic and now pretty much all sleep having immunities to both Sleep Powder and Spore (while hypnosis is rather uncommon) and resists Rotoms weakness to Rock and Water. Rotom-H also appreciates the increased healing from Leech Seed that Ferrothorn can provide and then forces out Grass-types which Ferro couldn't seed to begin with. And with there immunities to status funnily enough they spread it like crazy too :D

Rotom-H@Leftovers
Levitate
Bold 4HP/252Def/252SpD
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
(Yeah I know its physically defensive with WOW but I appreciate its defensive side more to better deal with Talonflames and Charizard-Xs who still deal a lot of damage to poor Rotom)

Ferrothorn@Leftovers
Iron Barbs
Impish 4HP/252Def/252SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
Type synergy seems right, but your ev's are very inefficient. Defensive pokemon always need 252 HP. The only acceptable exception is on a pokemon with extremely high HP and lower defensive stats. Rotom-H and Ferro always want 252 HP though. I'm not an expert on XY speed tiers, but for Rotom, I'd either run max HP/max Speed Timid or max HP/max SpD Calm. For Ferro, I'd use the same as last gen, which is 252HP/48Def/208SpD.Relaxed. Also, I'd use Power Whip>Gyro Ball since the latter works counterproductive with Rotom's Twave. Hope this helped!

Type synergy seems right, but your ev's are very inefficient. Defensive pokemon always need 252 HP. The only acceptable exception is on a pokemon with extremely high HP and lower defensive stats. Rotom-H and Ferro always want 252 HP though. I'm not an expert on XY speed tiers, but for Rotom, I'd either run max HP/max Speed Timid or max HP/max SpD Calm. For Ferro, I'd use the same as last gen, which is 252HP/48Def/208SpD.Relaxed. Also, I'd use Power Whip>Gyro Ball since the latter works counterproductive with Rotom's Twave. Hope this helped!
Correct stuff here, and RowDog you never really want to split defenses EV wise as you gain much more from putting those EVs into HP. Also your rotom can't really be used as a check to talonflame or charizard-x, volt switch is only dealing around 71-80% to talonflame, meaning it it roosts on a predicted VS you're doing somewhere around 35% and your check is switching out, and none of its moves can touch charizard x.

You could consider rocky helmet for ferrothorn if you wanted more residual damage, as it works very well with the combination of leech seed and protect.

Correct stuff here, and RowDog you never really want to split defenses EV wise as you gain much more from putting those EVs into HP. Also your rotom can't really be used as a check to talonflame or charizard-x, volt switch is only dealing around 71-80% to talonflame, meaning it it roosts on a predicted VS you're doing somewhere around 35% and your check is switching out, and none of its moves can touch charizard x.

You could consider rocky helmet for ferrothorn if you wanted more residual damage, as it works very well with the combination of leech seed and protect.
Wait, Rocky Helmet on Ferrothorn isn't a gimmick? Forgive me for asking if it's actually used because I never saw it in Gen V from any match, and I saw King's Rock on a Cloyster.

Last edited:
Wait, Rocky Helmet on Ferrothorn isn't a gimmick?
Switch max defense rocky helmet ferro into mega kangaskan and watch as rage ensues from your opponent, poor thing loses 1/2 of its HP by attacking. But seriously your opponent loses 24% of their HP for attacking with any contact move, and ferrothorn can recover a large chunk of its health between seed + protect shenanigans. Since physical fire isn't really a thing outside of a few pokes (talonflame being the big one), it's actually one of ferro's more used sets in the current meta.

Am I allowed to ask about a core not specifically for use on here, per se- rather, just for random Wi-Fi battles?
Would adding AV Tyranitar and/or Gengar to the MenceWile combo mentioned previously work? I am relatively new to all this, so feel free to critique. If by some miracle those four are feasible on the same team, what teammates would complement them nicely? This is for random wifi battles ony, not for use on this site.

Thankyou.

I personally keep finding that I really like mixed tank over favouring a particular defence on both of them and have used full HP in the past and just couldn't be torn between the 2 defences for either of them. I will try the EV spread on Ferrothorn though and see how it goes :), and I will still be playing around with the EVs on both of them, but at the moment this seems to work surprisingly well on Pokemon Showdown, and I used that max HP/max SpD Calm exactly before and haven't liked it as much as this. Come Pokebank though I'll probably drop Twave on Rotom-H for Pain Split in which case I prefer less HP for a greater percentage heal and damage output. And with this as well it will work better for Ferro's Gyro Ball which I prefer definitely over Power Whip, imo (remember getting walled horribly by a Sap Sipper Miltank when Ferro was my last Pokemon, never again).

The main thing which I need is to T-Wave Talonflame and Charizard X and take the intial Flare Blitz aimed at my Ferro. Also, the recoil from Flare Blitz which is usually aimed at Ferro helps Rotom-H take on Talonflame, as well as any SR damage of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)