Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a list of threats

CB Azumarill is a pain, but depending on what I see in team preview, I can easily 2HKO it with Zygarde (yeah, Punchshroom is right about the calcs, not sure why it did 17%). His belly drum set can't be switched into, but it can't switch into Zygarde either.

Togekiss is pretty much the same as Zygarde outspeeds and 2HKO's with stone edge (1HKO's with 1 coil) unless he has a +def nature, and can only 2HKO back (If it tries to nasty plot, it dies without doing any damage. Same with Noivern who 2HKO's with Hurricane but takes major damage back.

Mamoswine I haven't fought yet, so I didn't even think of him. Yeah, if I see mamoswine, I'm going into survival mode and just hope to predict the switch and KO with earthquake, but I'm probably toast.

Weaknite sucks to deal with as it can take dragon pulse and Stone Edge with multiscale + roost and OHKO everyone after a few boosts.

Scarfed Dragons can easily take out one or more of them before being defeated.

Scarmory takes most of my attacks with ease, but won't deal major damage either.

The 2 fairies can keep Zygarde from sweeping, but they don't completely stop him either. Mamoswine I'll do some testing for, but I don't think I'll be able to answer that one. The real threat I fear is Weaknite. I have nothing that can confidently beat it and nothing that can take its hits. Still, this core has the best win loss record I've tried, so I like it because it transfers well to postbank and takes advantage of people reacting to my pokemon (never said it was perfect, just that it beats the metagame a lot of the time)

So I'm thinking of using this as a stall core. It's an attempt at Dark/Psychic/Steel

Drapion (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Cross Poison
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Poison Fang

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Roar
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

I haven't thought out the EVs, natures, and in the latter two cases moves, but this core has a few things going for it. The only types not resisted here are Ice and Rock and I have two immunities to Ground. Drapion seems a bit odd but with an Assault Vest she's bulky on both ends and only has one weakness that the other two cover well. Cross Poison is there to deal with Cosmic Power Clefable who can often end stall teams while Poison Fang has a 50% chance of badly poisoning the enemy. The only issue I see is recovery so a Wish Cleric is needed.

My question is, should I build around this core or should I ditch it and try to build another one?

@ Shuckler
wouldn't charizard X and maybe victini be able to break through this core or atleast take a large dent out of it.
Charizard X: Florges can take a hit from x-zard without much trouble even if he's physical, maybe stalling for leftovers with protect if it's needed. It's an easy switch-in if he goes for a dragon move. Then it can hit hard back with moonblast, which nobody appreciates taking off of florges' SpAtk. I haven't done any calcs, but with rocks up, it's an easy 1 or 2hko.
Victini: Victini is easily dealt with by gengar's shadow ball or disable, as most victinis run a choice set. It could be difficult to switch into, but again, the rocks hit hard and choice items just make prediction a breeze.
Physical fire types can give it some trouble, but overall it's not that bad to take those 2 out. And the nice thing about florges' wish passing and aromatherapy is that it can just repair any dents.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Charizard X: Florges can take a hit from x-zard without much trouble even if he's physical, maybe stalling for leftovers with protect if it's needed. It's an easy switch-in if he goes for a dragon move. Then it can hit hard back with moonblast, which nobody appreciates taking off of florges' SpAtk. I haven't done any calcs, but with rocks up, it's an easy 1 or 2hko.
Victini: Victini is easily dealt with by gengar's shadow ball or disable, as most victinis run a choice set. It could be difficult to switch into, but again, the rocks hit hard and choice items just make prediction a breeze.
Physical fire types can give it some trouble, but overall it's not that bad to take those 2 out. And the nice thing about florges' wish passing and aromatherapy is that it can just repair any dents.
252 Atk Charizard (Base 130 Atk) Tough Claws Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 358-423 (99.44 - 117.5%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard: 114-135 (38.38 - 45.45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Wut

Also, Choiced Victinis could very well be Scarf, so don't be surprised in the event they haven't V-Created that Victini gets the jump on Gengar. Shadow Ball won't OHKO a healthy Victini with intact defenses either. You say Choice sets make prediction a breeze, but what's stopping them from spamming Fire moves on you?

Fire-types are very well known for their nuking prowess. They may not be too difficult to bring down, but careless switching / teambuilding would leave irreparable dents on your team. If Skarmory has taken prior damage, Charizard X can just Dragon Dance on Florges and sweep you clean.

My current team uses the following F/W/G Core:

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Modest
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SPE
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Rest

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Relaxed
252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 SpA
- Scald
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Trick Room

Rotom-H @ Chesto Berry
Nature: Bold
252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 SpA
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-o-Wisp
- Rest

Since Slowbro and Rotom-H check a lot of the same threats (Ferrothorn, Scizor, Talonflame), I am considering replacing Slowbro with the following Slowking set.

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Nature: Calm
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
- Fire Blast
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock / Psychic

This set checks a lot of special attackers and forces a lot of switches, notably on Noivern, Togekiss and special Lucarios, among others.

I've been using a Dragon/Fairy/Rotom-W core with the first two slots being very customizable. What I usually do with this core is Garchomp/Togekiss/Rotom-W and this really helps bring back momentum to my side of the battle.

KlefKissChamp:

Klefki @ Lefties, 252 HP/Def Bold- Twave, Swagger, Substitute, Foul Play

Togekiss @ Lefties- 252 Hp/Def Bold- Twave, Air Slash, Fire Blast, Roost

Machamp @ Lefties- 44 Spe/252 hp/216 spD Careful- Substitute, Bulk Up, Dynamic Punch, Knock Off

Thisis definitely a haxxy core but it's definitely in your favor. Klefki and Togekiss spread paralysi, tank, and annoy, while Machamp comes in later and completely dominates. Don't underestimate this set's ability to take a special attack. Knockoff got a huge buff this gen with the raise to 65 base power. It also does x1.5 damage if you successfully knock off your opponent's item. I may also use this combination with another Slow, powerful sweeper like Azu or Mega Mawile.

ive been running a m-lucario and weavile. more or less its a scary offensive combo. not good defensive wise but great overall coverage
Offensively, I can see your point, as you got two extremely dangerous sweepers. Lucario's Close Combat crushes Steel-types and Bullet Punch wrecks Fairies to pave the way for Weavile. You are right, in that it is weak defensively though. Conkeldurr can come in, take a hit from either Weavile or Lucario, usually with a ton of HP left, and then OHKO with Drain Punch.

I've been using the following core with some success on PO:

Milotic (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Haze

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 200 SDef / 20 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Porygon is ridiculously beefy on both sides and can switch into threats like Talonflame and Greninja comfortably, and counters most dragons quite well. He still can't deal with fighting types of course, but I feel like they're slightly less rampant than last gen, and Celebi does a reasonable job against most of them. Celebi's two biggest counters, Scizor and Tyranitar are handled by Milotic, who can act as a backup check against dragons/other setup sweepers.

This core is currently accompanied by a Scarftran, which has good synergy with Celebi but isn't really an essential part of it.

I've been trying to brainstorm a core that takes advantage of Drifblim's new capacity as a Weakness Policy Baton Passer. Here's what I've come up with:

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 130 Atk / 126 SpA
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SpD)

-Close Combat
-Crunch
-Vacuum Wave
-Flash Cannon

Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 130 Def / 126 SpD / 252 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)

-Acrobatics
-Stockpile
-Haze
-Baton Pass

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

-Scald
-Psyshock
-Trick
-Rapid Spin

The idea is that Starmie serves as the lure for Dark / Ghost types (while also discouraging Rock, Ground, and Ice types). It can use Trick to cripple walls or Taunt users, and Rapid Spin away any Stealth Rocks that would be problematic for Drifblim. Scald has a chance to burn opponents, which helps Drifblim get a safer switch in.

Drifblim ideally switches in as a "revenge." His first move when he switches in is to Stockpile, which allows him to absorb the super-effective Dark / Ghost attack that is hopefully coming his way. Haze is there just in case his opponent attempts to set up on him while he Stockpiles. Once Weakness Policy and Unburden procs, he immediately Baton Passes +2 Atk +2 SpA +1 Def +1 SpD to Lucario.

Lucario resists all of Drifblim's weaknesses save Electric, which makes him a really nice switch. And if your opponent is foolish/unlucky enough to attempt another Dark attack, Lucario will get boosted up to +3 Atk. Ouch.

I'm not 100% sure about the Lucario build yet. One of the problems with the set is that if he doesn't get the Baton Pass from Drifblim, or if he gets PHazed, he becomes a lot less threatening. Going 100% physical w/ Swords Dance would allow him to switch in without Drifblim's support, but the trade-off is that he loses the awesome coverage of the mixed set.

Last edited:
Lemme give a new core a shot. Azumarill/Excadrill/Talonflame.

Talonflame (My personal favorite Kalos Pokemon) heads the core as a powerful Swords Dance Sweeper, with its priority Brave Bird punching through a ton of threats.

Azumarill is a Pokemon I've always wanted to try out, but I have yet to decide between the ferocious BellyJet set or the brutal Choice Band set. Regardless, Azumarill is also willing to come in on any Water-type move aimed at Talonflame, and it sends Tyranitar packing.

Excadrill, meanwhile, is my trusty spinner, paving the way for Talonflame, while luring in those stray Thunderbolts, and Sludge Bombs aimed at Azumarill.

Chesnaught@Leftovers
Bulletproof
Impish 252 HP / 4 At / 252 Df
~ Spikes
~ Leech Seed
~ Spikey Shield/Substitute/Roar
~ Hammer Arm/Seed Bomb

Tyranitar@Choice Band/Scarf/Tyrantite
Sand Stream
Brave/Adamant 252 At / 252 HP/Spd
~ Pursuit
~ Ice Beam/Ice Punch
~ Fire Blast/Fire Punch
~ Stone Edge/Stealth Rock

Aegislash@Balloon/Leftovers
Stance Change
Brave 252 HP / 252 At / 4 SpA
~ Kings Shield
~ Sacred Sword
~ Shadow Sneak/Shadow Ball
~ Flash Cannon/Iron Head/Swords Dance

Here is a trio epitomizing bulky offense, or in this case more semi-stall. None of these three are left wanting for power or durability. Across all three no type is not covered in some fashion. Tyranitar and Chesnaught form a double hazard duo with lost of accessory means of passive damage to force switches like Leech Seed and Sandstorm. Across the two only Fairy is a common weakness, and Aegislash makes a notable third part of this core taking Fairy attacks as well as Fighting, Dragon and Ice on top of that, as well as performing as a spinblacker all in one. A banded Tyranitar is great for some real power and the mixed attacking helps a lot. You're really going to want Ice Beam for Gliscor who could be a real thorn in your side otherwisem and Fire Blast is great for getting rid of Skarmory and Ferrothorn early. Pursuit is great for taking care of Defog Latias. Scarf on the other hand helps with some of your speed issues and helps land some surprise KOs. Spikey Shield and Kings Shield together yield more turns for free passive damage and Lefties/Leech healing. The one thing that would give these guys trouble though is status, so here's the penultimate 4th.

Florges@Leftovers
Flower Veil
Calm 252 HP / 252 Df / 4 SpD
~ Wish
~ Aromatherapy
~ Protect
~ Light Screen/Moonblast/Toxic

Florges is one crazy special sponge and pure Fairy typing is really something. Florges provides Wish to help your core keep on trucking, further Protect stall, and oh so handy Aromatherapy to remove that pesky debilitating status from everyone. Light Screen in a fourth slot can provide just a few extra turns of safeness or you could use Moonblast so you have something for Taunt. Likewise a Clefable can do all of the above and Magic Guard protects from all passive damage, or you could use a Blissey/Chansey.

Some of the EVs and sets can obviously be optimized, but I think this core is monstrous.

Last edited:

Chesnaught@Leftovers
Bulletproof
Impish 252 HP / 4 At / 252 Df
~ Spikes
~ Leech Seed
~ Spikey Shield/Substitute/Roar
~ Hammer Arm/Seed Bomb

Tyranitar@Choice Band/Scarf/Tyrantite
Sand Stream
Brave/Adamant 252 At / 252 HP/Spd
~ Pursuit
~ Ice Beam/Ice Punch
~ Fire Blast/Fire Punch
~ Stone Edge/Stealth Rock

Aegislash@Balloon/Leftovers
Stance Change
Brave 252 HP / 252 At / 4 SpA
~ Kings Shield
~ Sacred Sword
~ Shadow Sneak/Shadow Ball
~ Flash Cannon/Iron Head/Swords Dance

Here is a trio epitomizing bulky offense, or in this case more semi-stall. None of these three are left wanting for power or durability. Across all three no type is not covered in some fashion. Tyranitar and Chesnaught form a double hazard duo with lost of accessory means of passive damage to force switches like Leech Seed and Sandstorm. Across the two only Fairy is a common weakness, and Aegislash makes a notable third part of this core taking Fairy attacks as well as Fighting, Dragon and Ice on top of that, as well as performing as a spinblacker all in one. A banded Tyranitar is great for some real power and the mixed attacking helps a lot. You're really going to want Ice Beam for Gliscor who could be a real thorn in your side otherwisem and Fire Blast is great for getting rid of Skarmory and Ferrothorn early. Pursuit is great for taking care of Defog Latias. Scarf on the other hand helps with some of your speed issues and helps land some surprise KOs. Spikey Shield and Kings Shield together yield more turns for free passive damage and Lefties/Leech healing. The one thing that would give these guys trouble though is status, so here's the penultimate 4th.

Florges@Leftovers
Flower Veil
Calm 252 HP / 252 Df / 4 SpD
~ Wish
~ Aromatherapy
~ Protect
~ Light Screen/Moonblast/Toxic

Florges is one crazy special sponge and pure Fairy typing is really something. Florges provides Wish to help your core keep on trucking, further Protect stall, and oh so handy Aromatherapy to remove that pesky debilitating status from everyone. Light Screen in a fourth slot can provide just a few extra turns of safeness or you could use Moonblast so you have something for Taunt. Likewise a Clefable can do all of the above and Magic Guard protects from all passive damage, or you could use a Blissey/Chansey.

Some of the EVs and sets can obviously be optimized, but I think this core is monstrous.
I use that exact core but with a little tweaks:

(Spiker)
Chesnaught@Leftovers
Bulletproof
Impish 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
~ Spikes
~ Synthesis
~ Roar/Taunt
~ Hammer Arm

Taunt is great against Ferrothorn/Forretress without making TTar be Sassy with Fire Blast

(Stealth Rock)
Tyranitar@Tyranitarite/Leftovers
Sand Stream
Careful 252 HP / 252 Sp.Def / 4 Spe
~ Stealth Rock
~ Stone Edge
~ Crunch
~ Pursuit

(Spin Blocker)
Aegislash@Air Balloon
Stance Change
Quiet 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Atk / 4 HP
~ Kings Shield/Flash Cannon
~ Sacred Sword
~ Shadow Sneak
~ Shadow Ball

(Cleric)
Clefable@Leftovers
Magic Guard
Bold 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpD
~ Wish
~ Aromatherapy
~ Protect
~ Moonblast

Clefable isn't as bulky as Florges, but I find Sand + Stealth Rock + Spikes to wear Florges faster than Clefable. And it acts as a great status absorber, without having to waste a turn for Aromatherapy.

This is a really good core! I got up to 2100+ on Showdown using this semi-stall core with a few others (rapin spinner + other good defensive synergizers).

How would Kyurem-B fair on a sand team? As of right now I'm looking a M-Tyranitar, Cscarf Gengar, Kyurem-B, Gastrodon, Tentacruel/Excadrill, Landorus-T. I'm iffy about adding Excadrill as my spinner due to the fact that if Gengar is gone, then fighting-types can run a train on half my team. Lead T-tar set, Sub+3 attacks Kyurem-B for wallbreaking power.

Edit: COnsidering replacing Gastrodon with Heatran, and using LO Starmie as my spinner.

I mentioned this in stall, but you REALLY want to avoid ground weaknesses. The first thing that came to mind with that core, Jaroda, was the fact that you had two ground weaknesses and relied on one resist. Which means something like Mega-ZardX carrying EQ (it isn't terribly rare), Gliscor, Lando-t/lando-I, Garchomp and maybe mamoswine (who outspeeds the whole core at neutral and probably will run jolly/adament) are going to really make life miserable. An alleviation to this, of course, is togekiss over florges as a cleric, but that doesn't do well for longevity as most ground users (bar gliscor, zard-x, possibly lando-i in this example) will have some edgequake combo).

I have a double core going but for right now, I also have a dark/steel/psychic that I've been working on. It's slightly niche, I guess, but right now that's how it is.

Registeel @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 206 HP / 50 SDef / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rest
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake

While I'll save my analysis to the inevitable draw up of this whole team, I'll talk about the defenses of this guy and his job. Registeel does have the best defensives of any standard-tiered (non-uber) steel. 80/150/150 is shuckle-esque and how could I pass up the natural bulk of a mixed wall when I'm trying to find a good physical stop to 90% of the standard meta? Twave is for annoying defoggers who soon learn they can come in on him no threat. EQ is the best coverage move available to him, considering the only resists are bug/flying/grass, none of which have primary types that bother Registeel. And rocky helmet is more for deterring attacks if I have to get through a rest alive without heal bell support. It is hard to make him work, but his monstrous defenses make him so worth it.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Roar
- Rest
- Rock Slide

Now, before you go calling me a hypocrite, I should tell you that I have three ground immunities on this team, one in this core. But Tyranitar provided more natural bulk that aggron-mega could because of the sand storm special defense boost. He's the offensive presence of this core but even with dual stab, I'm generally unhappy. The core makes it really hard to find phazing spots since my steel can't do it, so Ttar won the job. He does, however, have enough bulk to just not care most of the time. I do feel the need to distribute some EVs back defensively but have found no mix worth setting.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SDef
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Reflect
- Psychic

Not the first, and certainly not the last time I'll use latias. The great mix of stats makes for a naturally special bulk wall while devoting the ev's to defense makes it more than passable as an offensive wall, considering it only is trying to defog/stab psychic. Fairies are just more seen this gen and dragon pulse was inherently weaker so I decided on a psychic stab. Not to mention Tyranitar and Latias have fantastic synergy, only both getting hit SE by bug and fairy (registeel adequately stops that, and no bugs switch in on Ttar anyways).

However, Yutt and I are always in flux about these moveslots. I'm currently running his idea in screens latias (just reflect for pursuit) but I feel like roar or a second attack might do better here. With Ttar, his roar is somewhat underwhelming to use because he can't just slack off the damage. The team in general is solid and after mega lucario goes I might be able to justify posting it in full (I have a BAD special mega lucario weakness that I can't seem to plug up with this team...) but until then, I want to tweak it and focus more squarely on the second stall team I have going.

Any advice on some movesets/coverages would be nice right now. The remaining members are a ghost cleric, fairy striker (three attack+Recovery set) and gyarados for his intimidate/phazing.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tangrowth (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power Fire [Fire]

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Spd / 208 SDef
Calm Nature
- Air Slash / Aeroblast (when it gets implemented)
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off / Psyshock

This core is monstrous. Here are the defensive stats of the three Pokemon (with Assault Vest factored in):

Tangrowth: 404 HP, 314 Def, 298 SpD
Tornadus-T: 361 HP, 196 Def, 442 SpD
Slowbro: 393 HP, 350 Def, 198 SpD

So you have Tangrowth as the mixed wall, Tornadus-T as the special, and Slowbro as the physical. But the most sweet thing about this core is Regenerator + dual Knock Off. Honestly, this strategy is ridiculous. You just bring in one of the Knock Off users and fuck up their checks. After the checks to each Knock Off user have been stripped of their items, you start harassing them with U-turn (Tornadus-T) or with the appropriate coverage move in Tangrowth's case. Put SR in the mix and passive damage add up extremely fast, especially when the opponent lacks Leftovers. And of course outlasting the opposition is a breeze with Regenerator. The third member of the Regenerator core, Slowbro, is also a big nuisance to play against, with double status in the form of T-Wave and Scald, adding more residual damage and crippling moves in the mix. Just make sure to have strong anti-SR support and a few strong Pokemon to clean up the weakened team and you are set.

EDIT: Tornadus-T has enough Speed to outrun neutral natured Kyu-B, which is a bitch to my team, but this is optional of course.

Last edited:
After some testing for my sand team I find myself coming back to the tried and true FWG core. Mega-Blastoise as my spinner, Trevenant as my spin-bocker, and Heatran for added utility. I was thinking of using the old CScarf set that harkened back to early Gen IV.

Trevenant@ Leftovers
Careful:Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Sp.Def
~ Horn Leech
~ Shadow Claw/Phantom Force
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Rest

An amazing spinblocker, Trevenant soft walls Excadrill by taking Iron Heads and burning it in exchange and Starmie to an extent. Our tree is 2HKO'd by Starmie if caught on the switch by an Analytic LO Ice Beam. I am open to the possibility of replacing him for a better spin-blocker.

Mega-Blastoise@Blastoisinite
Modest:Mega Launcher
252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Sp.Atk
~Dark Pulse

Modest and 64 Sp.Atk EVs guarantees the 2HKO on even the most bulky of spinblockers, usually XL-Gourgiest, and Jellicent when released. M-Blastoise can even survive a T-bolt from M-Gengar with little to no SP.Def investment, add to the fact he cannot be Pursuit trapped like Starmie makes him an ideal candidate for a Bulky Spinner. However Rotom-W does pose somewhat of a problem.

~Scald
~Ice Beam
~Rapid Spin

The rest is standard fare for a bulky water type, I find Scald's 30% chance of burn worth the drop in power over Water Pulse's 20% chance of confusion. Ice Beam for Dragon's and Whimsicott - not that i would stay in on it anyway.

Heatran@Choice Scarf
Modest:Flash Fire
112 HP / 156 Sp.Atk / 240 Speed
~Overheat/Fire Blast

The Main move, seeing as how Heatran is mostly for soaking up Fire and Poison attacks aimed at Trevenant. I seldom find myself using Fire Blast, Overheat perfectly suits his hit-and-run tactics. Modest+240 Speed EVs hits 375 speed, enough to outspeed neutral un-scarfed 130s, perfect for countering set-up sweeper who do not boost their speed: Lucario, Jirachi, Scizor.

~Flash Cannon
~Earth Power
~Explosion

Flash Cannon for Fairies not named Azumarril, Taunt shuts down walls, and Explosion just as a last ditch effort if I know I can't take out a Poke with my other coverage moves.

These three will form the main core, then I have Lead Tyranitar, Sub+3 attack mixed Kyurem-B and Terrakion as of this moment.

Ajwf Well CharX would normally take 50% from SR since he didn't Megavolve yet. Balloon is also an option on Aegislash, which isn't a horrible idea since it can provide you the opportunity you need to get your Swrods Dance in, or you can stall further with Kings Shield and get the Shadow Sneak. And there's still two spots on the team left so it isn't difficult to add a Skarmory, Rotom-W, Latios, etc. But good point.

alexwolf Regenerator is indeed fun to abuse but I founf the SR weakness on Tornadus-T to really hamper its resilience. Landorus-T might be a better choice sicne it's also neutral to SR and also has Intimidate to really soften the blow on either side, and Slowbro is perfect for taking the Water and Ice attacks aimed at him while Landorus can also take Electric attacks.

A Volt-Turn core of Landorus-T and Mega-Manectric has amazing synergy and completely punishes physical attackers with dual-Intimidate. Each hits from a different side, so the synergy only gets better. Throw in a Talonflame and maybe a Rotom-W and you're looking at something pretty Intimidating (huehuehue).

Manectric @ Manectrite
Ability: Lightningrod ===> Intimidate
EV's: 24 HP, 252 SAtk, 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

EV spread allows Manectric to trollishly outspeed Jolly Garchomp by 1 Speed on the turn of Mega-Evolution, although with so little HP investment, it might be better to just stick with a 4/252/252 spread. Overheat destroys any Steel-types (bar Heatran), while HP Ice provides valuable coverage against Dragons and Ground-types. STAB Thunderbolt off of base 135 Special Attack hurts anything that doesn't resist it hard. Volt Switch is good for finishing off Pokemon, or just to maintain momentum in general.

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EV's: 248 HP, 64 Atk, 196 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Bulky defensive pivot Landorus-T who can force switches with a predicted Earthquake to set up Stealth Rocks. He can switch into any Ground-type moves that threaten Mega-Manectric, as well as dish out a powerful STAB Earthquake to hit other Electric-types that resist Mega-Manectric's STAB.

Physical attackers are not having a fun time with this.

I've written a program to assist me in figuring out partners... at least from a types perspective. Its quite shoddy, but I'm finding it useful for random crap.

Some thoughts:
* Togekiss (Flying / Fairy) has a perfect partner in Steel/Electric (Magnezone). Steel / Electric literally resists everything that Togekiss is weak to.
* Magnezone (Steel / Electric) has 4 weaknesses, all covered by Dragon/Flying (Salamence, Dragonite), Fire/Flying (Talonflame, Moltres), and Water/Flying (Gyarados) as perfect partners.
* And Dragon / Flying also has 4 weaknesses, which are perfectly covered by most Steel pokemon. (Magnezone included)

Steel + Dragon/Flying has always been known as a good team.

--------------

* Talonflame (Fire / Flying) has 3 weaknesses, perfectly covered by Steel/Grass (Ferrothorn), and Fighting/Grass (Chestnaught / Breloom).
* Fighting / Grass has 6 weaknesses, and no type perfectly covers it. Steel comes closest at resisting 5 of its weaknesses, but sharing the weakness to Fire.
* Ferrothorn (Steel / Grass) is easy as hell to cover: Dragonite,Giratina,Dragalge,Latias,Azumarill,Charizard,Chandelure,Victini,Gyarados,Jellicent,Tentacruel,Slowbro... to name a few example.

So Talonflame / Ferrothorn seem like a pretty good team.

------------

Aegislash (Steel / Ghost) has 4 weaknesses, and is only perfectly covered by Hydreigon (thanks to levitate btw... so be careful about Excadrill).

-----------

Tyranitar (Dark / Rock) has 7 weaknesses that are never perfectly covered. The best tries are Fire/Flying pokemon like Charizard, Moltres, and Talonflame. Fire/Flying switches into Ground, Fighting, Grass, Steel, Fairy, and Bug attacks. They have a shared weakness in Water.

Other pokemon who do well with Tyranitar: Volcarona,Dragonite,Zapdos,Charizard,Chandelure,Crobat,Skarmory,Gyarados,Aegislash,Tentacruel. These all tank 5 (out of 7) of the super-effective attacks that plauge Tyranitar's typing.

--------------

Celebi (Grass / Psychic) has 7 weaknesses which are never perfectly covered. The recommended switch-out partners to Celebi are Tyranitar, Bisharp, Mawile, and Magcargo. They each resist 5 of the 7 weaknesses Celebi has.

Heatran also resists 5 of the 7 weaknesses thanks to Flash Fire... but again is longer the "perfect partner" to Celebi due to the loss of Ghost/Dark resist. Tyranitar seems to serve as both a switch-in and switch-out partner to Celebi in theory.

------------

The Lat@s twins sport 6 weaknesses, which are never perfectly covered. The highest rated switch-out partner is Mawile: resisting 5 of the 6 weaknesses (Ghost hits Mawile for Neutral. Otherwise, Mawile tanks Ice, Dark, Fairy, Bug and Dragon attacks aimed at the Twins).

The following `mon tank 4 of the 6 weaknesses: Aggron-Mega, Forretress, Bisharp, Magnezone, Wigglytuff (lol Ghost + Dragon Immunity), Azumarill, Lucario, Pyroar (seriously??), Heatran ,Aegislash , Aggron (wow, Aggron non-Mega has a partner), and Empoleon

The Lat@s twins apparently work extremely well with Terrakion and Mamoswine

-----------

Abomasnow (Grass / Ice) sports 7 weaknesses. Aegislash blocks 6 of them (Flying, Fighting, Bug, Steel, Rock, and Poison) but has a shared weakness to the 4x Fire issue.

Abomasnow's 5x switchout partners include: Dialga, Rotom, Magnezone, Chandelure, Jellicent, Steelix, Tentacruel, Forretress, and Empoleon.

Abomasnow's switch-IN partners however, are extremely, extremely rare. At best, Abomasnow uses his 4 resists to cover 3 weaknesses for: Sudowoodo, Tyranitar, Stunfisk, Carbink, Terrakion, Golem, Aurorus, Lunatone, and Omastar.

-----------

Mega-CharizardX has Dragon/Fire typing. The only perfect partner is Levitate Bronzong. Bronzong resists / is immune to all three of CharizardX's weaknesses, and Mega-CharizardX provides that 4x Resist to Fire.

Be careful however: Bronzong has gained Dark and Ghost as weaknesses in this generation. So Mega-CharizardX isn't a perfect switchin for Bronzong.

Last edited:
A Volt-Turn core of Landorus-T and Mega-Manectric has amazing synergy and completely punishes physical attackers with dual-Intimidate. Each hits from a different side, so the synergy only gets better. Throw in a Talonflame and maybe a Rotom-W and you're looking at something pretty Intimidating (huehuehue).

Manectric @ Manectrite
Ability: Lightningrod ===> Intimidate
EV's: 24 HP, 252 SAtk, 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

EV spread allows Manectric to trollishly outspeed Jolly Garchomp by 1 Speed on the turn of Mega-Evolution, although with so little HP investment, it might be better to just stick with a 4/252/252 spread. Overheat destroys any Steel-types (bar Heatran), while HP Ice provides valuable coverage against Dragons and Ground-types. STAB Thunderbolt off of base 135 Special Attack hurts anything that doesn't resist it hard. Volt Switch is good for finishing off Pokemon, or just to maintain momentum in general.

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EV's: 248 HP, 64 Atk, 196 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Bulky defensive pivot Landorus-T who can force switches with a predicted Earthquake to set up Stealth Rocks. He can switch into any Ground-type moves that threaten Mega-Manectric, as well as dish out a powerful STAB Earthquake to hit other Electric-types that resist Mega-Manectric's STAB.

Physical attackers are not having a fun time with this.
I want to add Gyarados to the core for the water resist, electric-lure, and EVEN MORE Intimidation techniques. o: But nine times out of ten I like my Gyaras to have some Moxie.

Still, Gyarados has a lot of versatility: maybe a bulky phazer with T-Wave to cripple any incoming threats?

Last edited:
I want to add Gyarados to the core for the water resist, electric-lure, and EVEN MORE Intimidation techniques. o: But nine times out of ten I like my Gyaras to have some Moxie.

Still, Gyarados has a lot of versatility: maybe a bulky phazer with T-Wave to cripple any incoming threats?
Hmmm, Gyarados does seem pretty cool. Too bad he doesn't get U-turn or Volt Switch... Still, more Intimidation and an electric-lure is looking quite nice.

As for a phazer, I was thinking Dragonite or heck even Zygarde, but that'd be another x4 Ice weakness...

Or, you could just use a RestTalk Gyarados with T-Wave and Dragon Tail.

Last edited:
first of all, sorry if something is not understood, my english not so good.
A core which gave me a lot of success is mega charizard X and Togekiss-
Charizard @ CharizarditeX
Ability: solar power->tough claws
EVs: 252 attack, 252 speed, 4 sp.d
Adamant
-dragon claws
-fire fang
-brick breack
-earthquake

Togekiss Leftovers
Ability: serene grace
EVs: 252 sp.a, 252 speed, 4 HP
Timid
-aura sphere
-air slash
-T-wave
-dazzeling gleam

Both are great pokemon which complete each other lot when it come to resistences and weaknesses which with their bulk give them good switch in opportunities. They have great ability to break through pokemon when get the right switch-in, and even though they have annoying rock and SR weakness the rest of my team take care of these(and alot of time they can do it themself), ever since My charizard got into my team I got alot better in the pokebank OU.
Even though my team isn't based on this core(my star is Multicale Dragonite), I think that with third pokemon to this core can help me get better. I wanted to hear your suggestions, my current team include dragonite, dugtrio, togekiss, charizard, cloyster and gengar.

I find Parashuffle gyarados works well in tandom with Manetric for this reason. Rage.

Normally, a smart player would see the lightning rod coming, but after a few turns of a parashuffling / paraflinching gyarados, the opponent just sprints for anything on their team with Tbolt. And then Manetric gets a boost and sweeps. Its hilarious. I also have nidoking with that core.

can someone help me find good partners for this team I'm making. I really want to try out victreebel, but it needs so much support, I don't know who to run.
Currently its: Victreebel-CharizardY-Hydriegon(scarf)-Vaporeon(cleric)-Gliscor(defogger)-metagross(for the resistances). I'm thinking claydol>gliscor for spin+rocks and maybe aegislash>metagross. Problem is, I might need another sunny day setter (with heat rock)...I might.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)