*Good* Creative / Unusual Moveset Thread

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
I'm considering compiling the few actually decent sets into the OP, would anyone support this?
That would be extremely awesome.

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Trait: Download
EVS: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
-Return / Double-edge
-Dark Pulse
-HP Fighting / Thunderbolt / HP Fire
-Tri Attack / Ice Beam

Mixed Porygon-Z. I'll let some calcs do the talking.
Just want to re-bring this up because of this:

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Porygon-Z Return vs 252/252 Bold Eviolite Chansey: 44.03-51.99%

If my math (and calcs...) are right, that should always 2HKO with Stealth Rock... (because no leftovers recovery for Chansey.) That seems pretty cool on the ladder right about now...

When I play UU, this gimmick is great.No one else uses it, or at least no one I play does.

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Mach Punch

You know, the gimmick is pretty obvious: all priority. This came from me noticing that Hitmontop has surprisingly great defenses, but most people waste that by giving it speed EVs and not giving him more bulk. Also, Technician boosts 3 out of 4 of these moves, making them all great moves. Mach Punch is the obvious pick, being STAB. Fake Out is a great opening move. Sucker Punch shuts down handelures that think they can come in and easily kill me. Bullet Punch is mostly useless, but helps for neutral coverage. But it gets even better with the next Pokemon.
The only BW set Smogon has for Hitmontop:
http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/hitmontop

It has no Speed investment. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a Hitmontop in BW that isn't the standard, defensive RSpinner. Just throwing that out there.

The only thing I have to say about the set is that I don't really see any use in running Bullet Punch. A Bullet Punch will hit almost as hard as a resisted Mach Punch due to STAB, and frankly, I feel you'd be better off with some kind of coverage move in that last spot/Close Combat. Another move you could run in lieu of Close Combat is Revenge. Sounds weird because typically Revenge is not competitively viable, but it gets the Technician boost, STAB, and the double in power for going last (which you'd probably already be hitting second with CC anyways, especially if you do manage to pass of a few Curses from Umbreon). You can also run something like Toxic in the last slot since Cofag can WoW you or Slowbro can Toxic you, and you'll be unable to even dent them in return if you do keep Bullet Punch.

Just some things to consider. :)

weavile @ focus sash
trait: pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Jolly
- swords dance
- ice punch
- swagger
- punishment

It looks terrible, it's super gimmicky, but it's a monster in actual execution. First things first, you need to make sure there are ABSOLUTELY NO HAZARDS ON YOU SIDE OF THE FIELD; those will ruin you, but if you have a spinner you're good. The instant you get a safe switch-in the rest is on lock. The obvious route is swords into ice punch, but if the coverage is favorable, run swagger into punishment, swagger having the double purpose of setting up the status and boosting your punishment. This set works especially well when teamed up with a sub-passer.

Why would you use Swagger when you can nab a Swords Dance? +2 Night Slash is much stronger than 100 BP Punishment. Instead of Swagger you could run Low Kick for coverage or Ice Shard for priority.

Edit: Oh, and Zapphire probably though of Froslass or Mismaguis when putting Bullet Punch on Hitmontop. It can 2HKO the latter it with SR, as long as it does not have Leftover. How useful it is is another question, because Frosslass and Mismagius are not the most common mons and you still can run something stronger like Close Combat or Low Sweep.

ss234

bop.
Tbh I'd rather use Prankster Liepard than that Weavile set, thanks to it's ability to Thunder Wave the likes of Scarf Heracross and Mienshao, as well as Swagger the opponent. You can also set up priority substitutes until the opponent hits them self in confusion damage.

Mienshao

Set: Calm Mind
@Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EV's: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Modest (+Sp. Atk, -Atk) or Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Aura Sphere
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Ice
- Calm Mind

You may look at this set a single time and consider it garbage, but I've used this as my one and only Mienshao set for a good 6 months, and it's been nothing but a blessing. Mienshao has a respectable 95 base Sp. Attack stat, which in conjunction with Calm Mind it can reach a very usable 475 Sp. Attack stat with a single Calm Mind if it has a Modest Nature. Combine that with the fact that Mienshao often scares switches due to its infamous nature as a Fake Out/Hi Jump Kicking monster, so you can almost be assured to at least nab a single boost. That is where this set is really useful, as the surprise factor never seems to wear off, and even though the surprise factor does have to do with this sets effectiveness, it isn't all that makes it usable. Using the norms of the Tier against itself is a great way to go about battling, and Calm Mind Mienshao is the epitome of this. As far as moves go, Aura Sphere is a great addition to its movepool, and makes this entire set usable, as, if Mienshao had only Focus Blast, this set would become too unreliable, but with Aura Sphere's perfect accuracy you can guarantee a hit every time. Even with Mienshao's only decent Sp. Attack, it can still punch holes through Sp. Defense tanks such as Snorlax. Hidden Power Ice is obvious, takes out Gligar, Zapdos, Flygon and many other things in the Tier. Grass Knot is mostly for coverage, but partially because Mienshao has no other good special move at its disposal, still, it deals with quite a few threats such as bulky Water, Ground and the occasional Rock type. All in all, a great, and more importantly different set that uses Mienshao's usual modus operandi against its opponent.

Mew

Set: Parashuffle Lead
@Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EV's: 252 Def / 252 Sp. Def / 4 HP
Impish (+Def, -Sp. Atk) or Careful Nature (+Sp. Def, -Sp. Atk)
- Dragon Tail / Roar
- Thunder Wave
- Softboiled
- Taunt / Stealth Rock

The undisputed king (or queen, although I guess it doesn't matter) of diverse movesets, this one comes to you from an entire years worth of usage and is a testament to how good Mew can be at so many different roles. With Mew at the head of your team, you can rest assured that Stealth Rocks will not be set up, and if the Stealth Rocker is faster than Mew, it won't be for long. Conversely, Mew itself can set up Stealth Rocks to add insult to the fact that it is going to be Parashuffling its way through your team no matter what you try to do. Dragon Tail is preferred over Roar on this moveset because of the damage, although if you're afraid of a Substitute than Roar is perfectly viable. Sofboiled adds to Mew's already amazing longevity, allowing it to Paralyze even more Pokemon, crippling your opponents team while you laugh and sip on your tea (or soda, or whatever you drink while you play Pokemon). The main problems this Mew faces is Ground types, but usually just phasing them away solves the problem, especially with Stealth Rocks up as residual damage will wither them down, no matter how slowly. It can be broken with a Choice itemed Pokemon, especially Heracross, so it's important to know when to stop Paralyzing and start getting the hell out of there. Great set, I highly recommend giving it a try.

Only problem I see with the Mew set is that you always want to max out HP before maxing out defense, otherwise it is not bulky enough. It's HP isn't high enough (like Blissey) to justify maxed out defenses. Other thant that, the Mienshao is very unique, but it lacks the amount of bulk to reliably use calm mind. If only it got nasty plot...

Bulk Up / Amnesia Salac Scrafty

Scrafty @ Salac Berry
Trait: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Amnesia
- Drain Punch
- Crunch

This set is great if you play it right, it is important not to send Scrafty in too early when things like Zapdos and Crobat are alive. Using a strong offensive core to eliminate any threats is strongly recommended, because Scrafty is easily 2-3HKOed even at +2 by things like Crobat and Machamp.
The point of this set is to bring Scrafty in on something like a Suicune and set up. If you come in on a physical attacker, Bulk Up 2-3 times then Amnesia. If you come in on a special attacker, do the opposite. Keep setting up until your health is ~25% and the Salac Berry activates. Now you outspeed most of the unboosted metagame, and you are not locked into one move. Drain Punch recovers any lost HP, and Crunch hits ghosts and things that resist Drain Punch. Alternate EVs can also be used, and if you find the Salac Berry too risky you can use Leftovers or a Life Orb. Either way, this is a great set if you play it right.

Replays:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu8384207
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu8387755

When I play UU, this gimmick is great.No one else uses it, or at least no one I play does.

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Mach Punch

You know, the gimmick is pretty obvious: all priority. This came from me noticing that Hitmontop has surprisingly great defenses, but most people waste that by giving it speed EVs and not giving him more bulk. Also, Technician boosts 3 out of 4 of these moves, making them all great moves. Mach Punch is the obvious pick, being STAB. Fake Out is a great opening move. Sucker Punch shuts down handelures that think they can come in and easily kill me. Bullet Punch is mostly useless, but helps for neutral coverage. But it gets even better with the next Pokemon.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpD / 252 HP / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Baton Pass
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

This guy is made completely to set up the above Hitmontop. You see, the Speed decrease from Curse doesn't matter when your using all priority moves, and Umbreon has great defenses to take hits so it can Curse then Baton Pass. Heal Bell is the obvious cleric move, getting rid of status effects. It's mainly for itself, to take off Toxic and Paralysis. Foul Play is there so it can take care of itself if needed.

Like I said, not many people use these two set ups, which I find weird. They work great together.
This would work pretty well on a Trick Room team, as Curse makes Umbreon faster under Trick Room, and by the time the effect fades and the boosts are passed to Hitmontop, you can just spam priority with extra attack (and defense). OTR Cofagrigus would make a good partner for these two, as it's bulky and has good synergy (defensive and offensive) provided you stick to the standard Trick Room/Nasty Plot/Shadow Ball/HP Fighting.

Here is a set I have been playing around with that really catches people off guard.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/128 Def/128 SpD
Nature: Bold
-Psychic
-Charge Beam
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

This gives Bronzong great staying power and can let it pull of a partial sweep if it is lucky with Sleep Talk + Charge Beam. If Charge Beam's SpA boost occurs, it can break through other walls, such as Amoonguss. Rest also allows Bronzong to rejuvenate itself. The EVs are for the best set-up all-around.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
why not use calm mind? it's significantly more reliable than charge beam, boosts spd as well, and it isn't blocked by grounds. also, charge beam is piss weak anyway. not saying resttalk bronzong is good, but i am saying if it were to be used, id use cm.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So here I'm going to list every set I perceive as good so far to try and give this thread a little more guidance. I'll probably edit this into the OP later.

Note that none of these sets involve the move Transform, boosting your opponent's Attack stat with a frail sweeper that already has Swords Dance, or Curse passing.

tl:dr - most of the sets in this thread are awful. i don't expect every set to be a new standard sort of thing but please at least make an effort

Maci12 - Specs Lanturn
Why it's GCMS material: Not standard (at least in UU) and solves Lanturn's biggest problem (can't do anything back to special attackers) without hampering its role too much. I would have included the Nidoqueen set too but that was just a subtle EV change.

Gone to the beach - SubSeed Roserade
Why it's GCMS material: It's completely unexpected and has a unique niche as a fast Sleep inducing SubSeeder. When you consider how most people expect Spikes or Leaf Storm off the bat it does pretty well.

JolteonFTW - Scarf Meloetta

Why it's GCMS material: A very unique set, so it's creative, but it is also effective and thought was put into it. The set really capitalizes on Meloetta's Base 128 Special stats and decent Speed, making it a useful utility counter and revenge killer.

Ernesto - SubSalac (non-SD) Heracross
Why it's GCMS material: It's a slight deviation from the standard that, while not stellar, has sweeping potential in specific situations that ordinary Heracross does not. Dropping Swords Dance is really a big help for coverage. The Roserade set is pretty good too.

WhiteQueen - Trick Room Victini
Why it's GCMS material: Turns Victini into a late game sweeper, how cool is that? Seriously though, you can just get rid of your opponent's Fire resistances and go to town with Victini. A completely different role than most battlers expect and it can be really useful on the right team.

sorry warb didn't include houndoom since that is literally the standard set

Ace Emerald - Mixed Porygon-Z
Why it's GCMS material: More useful in the Chansey days but it still abuses Download to get the leg up on most walls. Gives P-Z a bit more of a chance to shine than it has now. Doesn't really fix its ease of being revenge killed, but not much can.

please note that none of these sets are from the third page of this thread

why not use calm mind? it's significantly more reliable than charge beam, boosts spd as well, and it isn't blocked by grounds. also, charge beam is piss weak anyway. not saying resttalk bronzong is good, but i am saying if it were to be used, id use cm.
I like the diversity, plus I have something better to hit Slowbro/Slowking with. However, coverage aside, Calm Mind is much more reliable than Charge Beam.

On this particular team Bronzong is alongside the beautiful Mienshao + Houndoom offensive core, so Charge Beam and Psychic give great coverage together for me.

cim

I like the diversity, plus I have something better to hit Slowbro/Slowking with. However, coverage aside, Calm Mind is much more reliable than Charge Beam.

On this particular team Bronzong is alongside the beautiful Mienshao + Houndoom offensive core, so Charge Beam and Psychic give great coverage together for me.
ironically, not running calm mind actually ensures those two pokemon beat you. charge beam is a 6HKO and doesn't boost every turn, calm mind boosts special defense and special attack every turn. before you know it, slowbro is at +6 when you are maybe at +4 with a coverage move that does nothing to him and you're swept. obviously slowking is just an even worse matchup.

I've been toying with a Mienshao set that, while not being entirely unique (it's based on a set from the analysis), can catch players off-guard:

Mienshao @ Salac Berry
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Hi Jump Kick

This set is based on the SubBP set, and it plays exactly like it in the early stages of a match. The key difference is Salac Berry: it let's Mienshao choose 2 of 3 possible boosts and Pass them: sub+Salac, sub+SD or Salac+SD. 4 hp EVs make it's health divisible by 4 and get the Salac boost after 3 subs.

cim

So this set I made because I specifically needed a Weavile and Flygon check that also was a Choice Scarfer. Cobalion didn't seem to hit hard enough, so I decided to try Durant.

Durant @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Swarm (Hustle misses :/)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Basically you just bring it in on Weavile Anything or Flygon Outrage, tank a hit, and strike back with STAB X-Scissor or Iron Head. Iron Head flinches which is really useful for random stuff, and it can take care of Heracross. Rock Slide is mainly for shit like predicted Crobat / revenging Zapdos. Superpower isn't getting much use except against other Steel types.

(Thanks to Satisfaction for the idea on an Orange Islands topic).

Darmanitan @ Chesto Berry

Ability: Zen Mode
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPE

- Belly Drum
- Fire Punch / Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Rest

How to setup? Simple, just find an opponent slower than Darmanitan, and faster than Darmanitan-Z, quite easy taking in account the huge speed difference between both (40 Speed Base), so, use Belly Drum on the slower foe, you will change into Darmanitan-Z (4 EV's into HP for that), with your now high bulk you can take the hit as long it's not super effective (or don't take it at all if they switched), now just use Rest; as you're slower than your opponent, you will be at 100% of HP at the end of the turn as long you survive (pretty possible, Darmanitan-Z's bulk is huge, you can improve it more forgoing some speed or attack), now just sweep and destroy everything slower than you. Darmanitan's 6+ Fire Punch and Stone Edge can almost OHKO the entire UU metagame.

Being faster as Darmanitan is not actually needed to set up, as you can also do the job forcing a switch, but it's better to just being faster when you setup, it's safer as you don't need to predict. You can also just setup on stuff that can't harm you at all like Registeel, and you don't necessary need to being slower as Darmanitan-Z, too, as long your opponent can't 2HKO Darmanitan (otherwise, it will comeback as Darmanitan-Z, stopping your sweep).

If your opponent had faster foes than Darmanitan, just paralyze them before trying this, and Rapid Spin support is really welcome as it will allow you to take hits better as Darmanitan-Z. Dual Screens support is also welcome, it can even be just without Light Clay.

List of (strict UU) stuff that is not OHKOed the 100% of the time by 6+ Darmanitan's Fire Punch + Stone Edge:

+6 252 Atk Darmanitan Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Rhyperior: 47.57 - 56.12%
+6 252 Atk Darmanitan Fire Punch vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 49.62 - 58.6%
+6 252 Atk Darmanitan Fire Punch vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Rhyperior: 52.15 - 61.51%
+6 252 Atk Darmanitan Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rhyperior: 55.52 - 65.49%
+6 252 Atk Darmanitan Fire Punch vs. 240 HP / 16 Def Swampert: 69.07 - 81.54%
+6 252 Atk Darmanitan Fire Punch vs. 208 HP / 0 Def Swampert: 71.75 - 84.73%
+6 252 Atk Darmanitan Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 72.15 - 85.32%
+6 252 Atk Darmanitan Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 74.25 - 87.62%
+6 252 Atk Darmanitan Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 176+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 76.2 - 89.83%
+6 252 Atk Darmanitan Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 176+ Def Eviolite Dusclops: 77.11 - 90.84%
+6 252 Atk Darmanitan Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Slowbro: 79.13 - 93.12%
+6 252 Atk Darmanitan Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 89.37 - 105.31%
+6 252 Atk Darmanitan Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 91.43 - 107.73%
+6 252 Atk Darmanitan Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Cofagrigus: 96.56 - 113.75%
+6 252 Atk Darmanitan Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 97.96 - 115.26%

Once you're set up, your unique counter in UU is (Physical) Tank Rhyperior, and your unique checks are the guys on the lists already posted that can 2HKO back you or cripple you in some other way. Rock Slide can also be used if you're worried about the accuracy of Stone Edge; you're not missing too much OHKOs with that, anyway, and you're not gonna need too much Flare Blitz unless you need the raw power before setting (not a bad idea, actually).

Oh, yeah, and beware of priority (sleep, burn, or just KO them before trying this, ideally, but this is not a must, just recomended), Red Card (waste them before if you're suspecting of them), Endure + Pinch berries users that can outspeed you once they boost, resist berries users that can make your OHKO into 2HKO, Effect Spore users, and... end list. And while you setup, beware of surprise SE attacks to Darmanitan-Z (Ghost, Dark, Ground, Rock, Water), phazing (if you're at 6+ as Darmanitan-Z, hit them before they phaze you), Clear Smog, Haze, Taunt (just hit them hard before setting, or once you're 6+ Darmanitan-Z), Sleepers, and Cursers.

Taking in account Darmanitan-Z is unusual, your opponent will rarely switch into something that can 2HKO Darmanitan-Z, but rather something that is not 2HKOed by Darmanitan, so, it really helps you to setup as long they doesn't switch into a rock or water pal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)