good dnite, m.A.A.d Metagame (Dragonite Stall)

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.

good dragonite, m.A.A.d Metagame
| introduction

hello people of the rmt forum, my name is Monte Cristo, also known as Oiawesome/OiawesomeDG. You might recognize me from my previous RMTS: Adventure Melody and Goldfish. This rmt is no where near as over produced as my previous ones, however, it is still worth a look at. I am claiming that this is probably the premiere dragonite stall I've seen yet, not to be cocky, I've just not seen very much dragonite stall recently lol. Anyways, this team has been lying around my comp since the lucarionite ban and I'd like to claim this is the most successful stall team I've made yet, of course other people have made better stall teams other than this, but I haven't. Anyways lets get into the actual team instead of meandering like I do in most of my rmts.

| team at a glance

not posting teambuilding since it's pretty obvious and pointless, this is pretty standard barring dnite and mzor

| team in depth

good kid (Dragonite) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 216 HP / 228 SDef / 64 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed​

Dragonite is just amazing right now. Dragonite is able to easily come in on multiple threats, wall them and threaten them back not only due to multiscale but because of the bulk and typing. Some of the many threats it can take on include: charizard-y, aegislash, keldeo and most importantly LANDORUS-I. Most stall teams these days have a very unfortunate weakness to landorus which can make good stall teams deadweight vs tour level offense teams. The EV spread is the standard cbbnite created by awesome user CrashinBoomBang it's main use is to enable dragonite to hit hard, speed creep 200 speed (it reaches 201 speed) and uninvested base 80s and have good bulk for a match up against landorus.

"The streets sure to release the worst side of my best
Don't mind, cause now you ever in debt to good kid, m.A.A.d. city"

m.A.A.d City (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SDef / 64 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off​

Scizor has been awesome for me since I started using it. Scizor is able to easily defeat things like taunt Mega Gardevoir that trouble stall very much so. The spread is a custom sdef spread built to survive 2 +1 hyper voices from mega garde while making sure bullet punch kills with 64 adamant. Scizor also allows as as an easy counter/hard check to things like unboosted Bisharp (my uturn deals like 50% to 34 hp bisharp and LO +0 knock off does like 36%) and CHECKS hp-fireless greninja when I'm in a pinch (252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 192 SpD Mega Scizor: 165-196 (47.9 - 56.9%) -- 89.5% chance to 2HKO) and things such as that. I also prefer it over skarmory these days due to the raw defenses and utility it can provide (10 more hp, lots more sdef, uturn, bullet punch, "no item" to knock off). However it can't set up hazards unlike the notorious bird which is unfortunate. Still it has a role nothing else can fully fill and I'm glad to be using it. Update: thanks to ShootingStarmie and Subject 18 for the suggestion to use Bulky Swords Dance over defog/uturn as it lets me easily put pressure on mons like gliscor and rotom-w which could easily switch in to it and stay healthy, however mainly on Gliscor, my team was severely weak to it and roost/sd + bullet punch over time lets me set up all over it and possibly sweep, this awesome set also gives me quite the nice win condition vs offense, which combined with Heatran, gives me a win condition for both offense and stall! ^_^

Notorious B.I.G. (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Slack Off
- Toxic
Now we all know the notorious BIG of the OU stall metagame, Hippowdon. This is quite an odd Hippowdon from the looks of it, am I not correct? Sand Force over Sand Stream is vital to this team due to Dragonite's multiscale, and sand force literally does jack shit for this team regardless. Anyways Roar over Whirlwind literally comes down if you like longer or shorter names for moves on your mons :/. Anyways the reason I have toxic over SR is because I have quite the weakness to other stall if my win con v stall (subtoxtran) dies that and I'm not too big on entry hazards this gen. Anyways Hippowdon is a great pokemon on this team, taking down important threats such as Mega Charizard-X and Choice Band Terrakion, which is why I have the usually unseen full physical defensive investment, as it's vial as to check those 2 important pokemon.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
If you haven't used Chansey on stall at least once this gen (odd), you need to try it. Chansey is awesome for this team, it checks things like non taunt/hp fire Greninja, char Y w/ focus blast/EQ and manaphy, trickless Latios and more. Heal Bell is very important for the mons on this team because the mons on this team are weak to stuff like WoW and Toxic which can be a problem over the course of battle. Thunder Wave ensures possible key speed drops for things like dnite to abuse and possible para hax. I like Seismic + Softboiled over wish tect cause it gives you offensive capability in order to deal damage back to things like taunt greninja and Mega Garde in a pinch.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spd
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Heat Wave
Ah Zapdos, it's thanks to you that I can still check pinsir and not have to stack another steel (skarm) on this team :). Zapdos provides as an excellent check to things like Talonflame and Pinsir which easily thraten this team and could tear it apart (talon not really, I've got hippo and tran, but pinsir yah). It's also a nice switch into Medicham to force it to ice punch and such giving me free turns to play mindgames. It also privdes an important secondary defog for things that Scizor can't exactly get a defog on or just incase Scizor gets down. Zapdos is awesome cause it's the best check to Pinsir aside from steel type stacking skarm and recoveryless not so bulky retarded rotom (if you couldn't tell, I really dislike rotom-w). EVs by Jukain to outspeed speedy aeigs and bisharp while OHKOing mpinsir with Thunderbolt.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SDef / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect
I did. Yup. I brought SubProtect Tran to singles. Anyways I simply adore this heatran set, it can get around mawile's sucker punch, burn it and sort of stall it out. Not only this but it's an amazing win condition vs other stalls and balance. SubToxic deals with many common stall pokes such as Chansey, forcing it to burn precious Heal Bell PP which can turn tides in an important stall vs stall battle. It also CHECKs Flare Blitz Zard Y which wrecks Chansey. Most importantly sub protect can net me very important lefties recovery which can change entire games on a max dmg roll survival. In general this thing is fucking awesome so yeah, things and such. EVs by Jukain to outspeed speedy mega mawile while preserving special bulk.

| rmt closing

I would like to say a big shoutout to Jukain for helping me with what version of the team to finalize and CrashinBoomBang for helping a lot over IRC with a cool chat and some advice.

Down below is the nicknameless importable, anyways thanks for reading, have fun with the team!
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Atk / 132 SDef / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 192 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
- U-turn

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 Def / 4 HP
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Last edited:

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
hey just posting rly quick to say that "my standard" evs changed to

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 216 HP / 64 Atk / 228 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Roost

quite some while ago as that allows you to survive 2 sludge waves after SR damage and leftovers.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i'd suggest at least running enough speed for mawile on tran, 40 evs will let you outspeed max variants which although not the most common, you don't want to be screwed against. 248 hp / 220 sdef / 40 spd.

for zapdos i'd suggest running enough speed for speedy aegi, which is one point above bisharp which you want to outspeed as well. that's 20 evs. and 68 spatk to have a guaranteed ohko on pinsir. 248 hp so you take one less damage from sr. 248 hp / 168 def / 68 spatk / 20 spd.

just minor nitpicks, cool team :]

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
i'd suggest at least running enough speed for mawile on tran, 40 evs will let you outspeed max variants which although not the most common, you don't want to be screwed against. 248 hp / 220 sdef / 40 spd.

for zapdos i'd suggest running enough speed for speedy aegi, which is one point above bisharp which you want to outspeed as well. that's 20 evs. and 68 spatk to have a guaranteed ohko on pinsir. 248 hp so you take one less damage from sr. 248 hp / 168 def / 68 spatk / 20 spd.

just minor nitpicks, cool team :]
thanks man :]. Anyways I'll be sure to try out the spreads, they are really nice.

hey just posting rly quick to say that "my standard" evs changed to

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 216 HP / 64 Atk / 228 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Roost

quite some while ago as that allows you to survive 2 sludge waves after SR damage and leftovers.
I was wondering if you updated, anyways cool, I'll update the spread after I test it out, thanks!

Last edited:
first off awesome name for the team, very inspiring. And the only things i would change personally is you really need stealth rock support, especially if this is a stall team. Example being mega pinsir can break zapdos eventually with SR support and he can come in over and over again freely, which would be really bad for your team. Also, id reccomend dragon tail on stallnite, but I suppose that's a matter of opinion
besides that looks nice so far, and my opinions might not even suit your team so feel freely to disregard them ^_^

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nice team Monte Cristo! I'm really impressed by how well it deals with the many wallbreakers that give huge trouble to Stall, including Gardevoir, Keldeo, and the almighty LANDORUS-I. The only one I noticed really threatens your team that much is Mega-Medicham. Mega Medi can actually 2HKO Zapdos with HJK+Ice Punch, and it also straight-up 2HKOs Hippowdon with HJK which is lol. And the lack of Ghost-type on your team means that Medi is relatively safe to just launch HJKs left right and centre (minus the accuracy obviously). However, an unexpected Protect from Heatran will destroy Medi, and MScizor+DNite can let you check the beast, so it's far from unbeatable. But if it comes in freely, something is going to get hurt.
Another threat is Diggersby. Simply put, if it manages to freely get an SD off, it can flat-out OHKO your entire team, including Hippowdon (though it is very likely to survive, unless rocks are up in which case it has a clean 50% chance to survive). But once again, your priority users can check it without too much difficulty : they both deal around 50% to it, and LO recoil will wear it down pretty fast. In fact, the presence of powerful priority on this team gives a lot of wallbreakers a hard time, so you should be able to beat most of them if you play around them well enough. Great team, don't think I would change a thing besides maybe try to fit Aegislash in there somewhere, though it almost certainly can't.

(btw we need to see more stall teams with MScizor, that thing walls so much stuff)

Last edited:
Imo Discharge is better than Thunderbolt on defensive Zapdos sets as you don't really lose out on significant OHKO's/2HKO's but you get a nice para chance in return... Aside from that nice team.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, I'm here to rate your team

So by the looks of it, this is a fairly original and solid stall team. I've seen it in action a couple of times, and I've picked up on a few weaknesses, which are actually pretty easily fixed without drastically changing your team too much.

Aegislash is a problem with the Sub Toxic set, as you have no real good way of dealing with it, and in general is very hard for you to kill. Specs Keldeo is a huge problem, as it 2HKO's everything with the right move. Another Water type which is very scary for you to face is Gyarados, as with one DD up it can really do damage to your team. Terrakion is also a monster, and can 2HKO everything bar Hippowdon with the banded set, making it kinda a huge threat. You're also missing Stealth Rocks which is pretty huge when trying to run a team that slowly wears the opponent down. So, here are my suggestions.

So, I really don't like this team having two Defogers. I'd change Scizor to a bulky SD set with Knock Off, as this really helps you sweep late game, and provides you with a solid answer to Sub Toxic Aegislash. An idea to experiment with could be to try out Assualt Vest Azumarill over Dragonite, as it still checks Charizard Y, Keldeo, and Landorus-I, but also gives you a solid answer to most Gyarados, and is a nice check to Terrakion as well. I know Azumarill isn't generally seen on stall teams, but give it a try. My final suggestion would be to put SR on your team, as it's so important even when you're using Defog. Find room for it on Chansey, Hippowdon, or Heatran.

That's about it, nice team man, and I hope my suggestions helped you!

n_n

Hey, sorry for taking a while to get to this.

Overall it looks like a pretty solid team. I'm not noticing many things that straight up beat your team. I'm going to back ShootingStarmie here and say that Bulky SD Scizor is probably better for your team as a late game win condition and gives you better answers to both SubToxic Gliscor and Aegislash. You don't have Stealth Rock on the team, I think you could fit it on Hippowdon over Roar. I don't really think Roar helps you that much.

Otherwise, I don't think there is much that will straight up beat you. Most things can be played around so it should be okay.

Cool team and good luck.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Hi there, I'm here to rate your team

So by the looks of it, this is a fairly original and solid stall team. I've seen it in action a couple of times, and I've picked up on a few weaknesses, which are actually pretty easily fixed without drastically changing your team too much.

Aegislash is a problem with the Sub Toxic set, as you have no real good way of dealing with it, and in general is very hard for you to kill. Specs Keldeo is a huge problem, as it 2HKO's everything with the right move. Another Water type which is very scary for you to face is Gyarados, as with one DD up it can really do damage to your team. Terrakion is also a monster, and can 2HKO everything bar Hippowdon with the banded set, making it kinda a huge threat. You're also missing Stealth Rocks which is pretty huge when trying to run a team that slowly wears the opponent down. So, here are my suggestions.

So, I really don't like this team having two Defogers. I'd change Scizor to a bulky SD set with Knock Off, as this really helps you sweep late game, and provides you with a solid answer to Sub Toxic Aegislash. An idea to experiment with could be to try out Assualt Vest Azumarill over Dragonite, as it still checks Charizard Y, Keldeo, and Landorus-I, but also gives you a solid answer to most Gyarados, and is a nice check to Terrakion as well. I know Azumarill isn't generally seen on stall teams, but give it a try. My final suggestion would be to put SR on your team, as it's so important even when you're using Defog. Find room for it on Chansey, Hippowdon, or Heatran.

That's about it, nice team man, and I hope my suggestions helped you!

n_n
Hey, sorry for taking a while to get to this.

Overall it looks like a pretty solid team. I'm not noticing many things that straight up beat your team. I'm going to back ShootingStarmie here and say that Bulky SD Scizor is probably better for your team as a late game win condition and gives you better answers to both SubToxic Gliscor and Aegislash. You don't have Stealth Rock on the team, I think you could fit it on Hippowdon over Roar. I don't really think Roar helps you that much.

Otherwise, I don't think there is much that will straight up beat you. Most things can be played around so it should be okay.

Cool team and good luck.
Thanks for the rates! Anyways yeah, I tried AV Azu I and I didn't like it since it forces me to Wish, and it's actually not a solid answer to terrak as both scarf and banded stone edge easily threaten it with a OHKO or 2hko. Sorry

However I am accepting Bulky SD Scizor! thanks for the recommendation, I'm keeping the specialized EV spread because checking mgarde is so important however I am changing the moves to fit this, the OP will be updated shortly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)