Good Double Battle Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought of a good one. Skill Swap+Thunder Wave Cresselia and Own Tempo Ludicolo with teeter dance and Icy Wind.Use skill swap and teeter dance. Just confuse and or paralyze everyone. Then use Icy wind and T-wave. Then send in a togekiss, and let the epic Hax begin.

here is one. it is a lot more gimmicky than any other set in this thread but can work. Infernape and a mincinno.

Turn 1: infernape uses fake out (on any tr setters or tailwind setters) and mincinno uses thunder wave (on fastest poke)

Turn 2: infernape uses focus punch and mincinno uses me first (infernape uses focus punch right after mincinno uses me first, it actually works!)

Turn 3: repeat turn 2 or use mach punch and helping hand to take out threats.

this strategy could work in doubles but would not be too effective against psychic types. however, if played correctly, you could take out at least 1 poke with focus punch/mach punch combo.

here is one. it is a lot more gimmicky than any other set in this thread but can work. Infernape and a mincinno.

Turn 1: infernape uses fake out (on any tr setters or tailwind setters) and mincinno uses thunder wave (on fastest poke)

Turn 2: infernape uses focus punch and mincinno uses me first (infernape uses focus punch right after mincinno uses me first, it actually works!)

Turn 3: repeat turn 2 or use mach punch and helping hand to take out threats.

this strategy could work in doubles but would not be too effective against psychic types. however, if played correctly, you could take out at least 1 poke with focus punch/mach punch combo.
I think Scrafty could work better, as it also gets Fake Out and Focus Punch, but also has a slow speed to work in conjunction with Focus Punch and its immunity to Psychic-types makes it pretty much superior to Infernape for this role. Moxie boosts would also help, but overall the strategy is a rather gimmicky and checked by any spread move.

Scrafty would need to run about max speed to get the jump on other Fake Out users, and even then it would still be slower than most Pokemon.

yeah i dont use this strategy competitvely but when i did i found that mincinno was outspeeding most of the metagame with thunder wave included so its me first would go before either of the opoonetns and i would be able to focus punch whoever i thought was goign to surf, or discharge, or earthquake. of course, double spread moves will ko infernape

There are a few problems with that little combo you have so far. I'm going to assume you meant After You and not Me First, as Me first doesn't have that effect at all.

• With this combo, you are essentially sacrificing your partner's attack for the turn in exchange for a Fighting-type STAB attack that is only 30 points higher than Close Combat.
  • Between 108 and 115, there are very few Pokemon you're hitting for super-effective damage with a Focus Punch. The only thing I can think of around that speed tier is the occasional Scarfed Cloyster. Big targets in that tier like Thundurus and Latios are hit for NFE damage.

You have something cool on your hands, but I don't think the Pokemon you're choosing are ideal. Cincinno doesn't have much defensive merit and Infernape doesn't need to be much faster than it is. I think a better core with this strategy might be something like:

Lilligant @ Choice Scarf
Own Tempo / Chlorophyll
Modest
Some decently bulky EV spread I'm too lazy to run calcs for
-After You
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power Fire
-Sleep Powder

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry / Rock Gem
Sand Stream
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Speed (again, probably a better EV spread)
-Rock Slide
-Crunch
-Focus Punch
-Protect

Unlike Infernape, Tyranitar loves going a bit faster, catching Terrakion, Latios, and Thundurus off guard. Tyranitar also really likes the added power Focus Punch brings when Low Kick just isn't enough. What's also cool is that unlike Cincinno + Infernape, this core has pretty solid offensive and defensive synergy. Most importantly, neither partner has to dedicate themselves to the strategy, and have the potential to work perfectly well with other team mates.

yeah the pokes i chose werent the best. i was just looking at if it could be good in my first post. i only started testing after. but i will be sure to try out the pokes you have mentioned. they look promising!

Scrafty would need to run about max speed to get the jump on other Fake Out users, and even then it would still be slower than most Pokemon.
Scrafty is supposed to Fake Out Trick Room setters and Tailwind setters, or act as Fake Out bait to help Cinccino paralyze things. Also, Scrafty doesn't need to outspeed anything when Focus Punch has -3 priority, so Scrafty actually benefits more than Infernape from this strategy. (Since Infernape can actually outspeed anything base 108 and lower)

There are a few problems with that little combo you have so far. I'm going to assume you meant After You and not Me First, as Me first doesn't have that effect at all.

• With this combo, you are essentially sacrificing your partner's attack for the turn in exchange for a Fighting-type STAB attack that is only 30 points higher than Close Combat.
  • Between 108 and 115, there are very few Pokemon you're hitting for super-effective damage with a Focus Punch. The only thing I can think of around that speed tier is the occasional Scarfed Cloyster. Big targets in that tier like Thundurus and Latios are hit for NFE damage.

You have something cool on your hands, but I don't think the Pokemon you're choosing are ideal. Cincinno doesn't have much defensive merit and Infernape doesn't need to be much faster than it is. I think a better core with this strategy might be something like:

Lilligant @ Choice Scarf
Own Tempo / Chlorophyll
Modest
-After You
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power Fire
-Sleep Powder

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry / Rock Gem
Sand Stream
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Speed (again, probably a better EV spread)
-Rock Slide
-Crunch
-Focus Punch
-Protect

Unlike Infernape, Tyranitar loves going a bit faster, catching Terrakion, Latios, and Thundurus off guard. Tyranitar also really likes the added power Focus Punch brings when Low Kick just isn't enough. What's also cool is that unlike Cincinno + Infernape, this core has pretty solid offensive and defensive synergy. Most importantly, neither partner has to dedicate themselves to the strategy, and have the potential to work perfectly well with other team mates.
Assuming you're right, don't forget that Loppuny also learns After You if you want to try this strategy with something else. She has a decent base 105 speed, and can run something like:

Lopunny @ Chople Berry / Focus Sash
Limber
Jolly
-After You
-Quick Attack
-Encore / Heal Bell / Mirror Coat / Endeavor / Protect
-Encore / Heal Bell / Mirror Coat / Endeavor / Protect

She's not a good partner for Tyranitar since they are both weak to fighting, but it could work well with something like Golurk or Breloom (prior to Technician). Quick Attack helps to finish off foes carrying a Focus Sash, and the handful of support moves, primarily Encore, also helps. Mirror Coat and Endeavor can be used if you have a Focus Sash on her. As I mentioned earlier, she probably works alright with Breloom helping him to get his Spores off faster, and landing hard-hitting Focus Punches. I'm not really sure, I'll probably test some of this out eventually.

Yeah, it's really gimmicky. Sorry, I tried. I guess...
Unfortunately, other than Lilligant, Lopunny, and Cinccino, most of the other After You users are too slow to make any use out of it.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Another tactic I've seen. This one's like, one of those ones that if you saw you'd go "DUH" but you wouldn't normally think about it. Basically, a Cresslia and a Tyranitar I faced (after I got rain up) had re-set the weather by having Cresselia use Skill Swap on its partner Tyranitar, thus re-activating Sand Stream. Effin' brilliant, man

Another tactic I've seen. This one's like, one of those ones that if you saw you'd go "DUH" but you wouldn't normally think about it. Basically, a Cresslia and a Tyranitar I faced (after I got rain up) had re-set the weather by having Cresselia use Skill Swap on its partner Tyranitar, thus re-activating Sand Stream. Effin' brilliant, man
Skill Swap Cress seems to be on the rise in usage, so I could see this working.

I tried a thing where I would have an Intimidate mon and a Pokémon with Skill Swap, and continuously use Skill Swap to get Intimidate drops on the opponent. I'm not really sure how it worked, but I'll continue to do some playtesting later today.

When I tried this, I used Arcanine and Claydol, since they're both in the BW2 dex, and Claydol gets access to Levitate.

Skill Swap Smeargle+ Prankster Whimiscott. Once you switch abilities, smeargle with access to every worthwhile move can be very annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)