1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Good Sandstorm Team?

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Ballerman, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Ballerman

Ballerman

So this is a sort of a bulky type sand team. Literally every Poke on this team takes advantage of sand except for Jellicent so that is always good. I mean what is the point of a sand team if you can't abuse it.

[​IMG]
    Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Gravity
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

My main sweeper and MVP of this team. Obviously, Landorus with life orb + sand boosted = terrifying amounts of damage. I found that this set works really well because I can hit flying types hard like Skarmory by using gravity. HP ice is needed so I can OHKO by common dragon types as well as ground/flying types that wall me.

[​IMG]
    Jellicent (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Recover
    - Scald
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt

My first "staller" on my team. This Jellicent is a standard one containing the standard moveset. Taunt is for ferrothorn, forretress, skarmory, etc. And all the other moves are self explanatory.

[​IMG]
    Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Leech Seed
    - Gyro Ball
    - Thunder Wave
    - Protect

So ferrothorn... my next wall/staller on this team. Once again, standard set, however, most ferrothorn do not run iron barbs. I find iron barbs to be very useful and beneficial because the extra damage is always nice.

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
    Careful Nature
    - Body Slam
    - Iron Head
    - Wish
    - U-turn

Ahh, the classic Jirachi... Well basically I'm trying to hax opponents to death by body slam + iron head. Wish for possible passing it on to other Pokes and u-turn to get switch initiative. Although u-turn is a great move to use, I'm debating whether I should replace it with protect. Your thoughts?

[​IMG]
    Mamoswine @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Substitute
    - Icicle Spear

My second "sweeper" on this team. I need at least 1 priority move on this team so why not go with STAB Mamoswine ice shard. Running substitute is questionable, but I find it helpful since most pokes that are quad weak to my ice shard tend to switch out. I just don't know if there's another good move I can replace it with considering Mamoswine's movepool is pretty limited. I also have EQ on this since I do carry the gravity on that Landorus. Might as well take advantage of it.

[​IMG]
    Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock

I obviously need this Pokemon... I find that running focus sash is quite good actually. This is also my stealth rocker because I do carry the sash. Basically a standard offensive t-tar with focus sash.

Thanks for reading!
    Provide as much insight as you want!
  2. Laurel

Laurel The sun rises every day
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Alright time to make this team awesome. Gravity is cool on lando but doesnt do much besides ground pokemon who will then switch out. Also making it mixed really lowers its power so hp ice probably doesnt kill as many things as youd like. But thats probably fine, id drop gravity for uturn so lando can grab momentum for you, and then id drop thunderwave on ferrothorn for spikes. You have jellicen who can spin block and then rachi + lando will cause huge problems for your opponent uturning on them while you have max hazards up. I dont know if you need sub on mamo? Whenever i use mamo people generally attack it or switch in rotom-w which mamo cant touch. Id drop sub for super power so it can hit zong and rotom-w for neutral coverage... I just dont see he gain of sub especially cuz orb will wear you down alot. Finally you might want to try out a counter ice beam set on ttar if its leading with a sash. Counter is basically a guaranteed kill and ice beam destroys chomp. Hope i helped.
  3. S0L1D G0LD

S0L1D G0LD

Wish is good on jirachi, don't switch it for protect.

You yourself seems to be weak to mamo, but my thinking fails me at the moment so I can't really suggest who to replace.
  4. Oopa

Oopa

usually thunder wave is counterproductive with gyro ball on ferrothorn. possible think about changing gyroballfor power whip as it is a consistent stab move. and when you say most people don't run iron barbs i think you mean most people don't run rocky helmet and prefer lefties. as for landorus remember to have the max speed iv set or hp ice - i.e. 31/30/30/31/31/31 iirc. you could always give the special landorus set a chance as it can rock polish at a moments notice, and still can hit skarmory and gliscor with focus blast and hp ice respectively. also, you do not take life orb reoil when using earth power or focus blast, and you still get the 30% boost. 68HP, 252 Satk, 252 speed

and on some of your pokemon the extra 4 evs you are missing won't do any harm in adding
    hope i helped :) i like sand teams
  5. Plus

Plus been cookin with the sauce
    is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
    Professor of B101

Hey, nice team. I wouldn't change too much in terms of your Pokemon, but I think you should play around with the sets you are using; just a few minor adjustments should be enough to improve your team even more. Personally, I like the idea of Gravity on Landorus, but I think it could be better if you abused Sheer Force with LO instead of going the Sand Force route, as it is generally more threatening than that of the Sand Force sets, and focuses all of Landorus's offense into one stat as opposed to going mixed, which you don't necessarily need to do for your team. You can also use Spikes over Protect on Ferrothorn, which greatly aids in a Landorus-I sweep, especially when you opt to use Gravity. One other perk about going special with a Gravity Landorus is the improved accuracy of Focus Blast, which gives you great power and coverage thanks to Gravity, Life Orb, and Sheer Force. You don't have to worry anymore about the frequent misses thanks to the improved accuracy of such a move.

For a Landorus sweep, you would probably want to get rid of the fast threats, such as Starmie, Latias, Latios, Gengar, etc. Trapping would be the most efficient way to do this, and you have Tyranitar, one of the best trappers in OU. However, since you are using the Sash SR variant, a lot of these threats can stay in and annoy your team for quite some time given that your team is moderately slow -- your fastest pokemon is Landorus at 101 base speed. Consider moving Stealth Rock to Mamoswine by replacing Substitute, as Substitute Mamoswine still isn't going to be helping you against some of the more common switch ins, such as Skarmory. Now that Mamoswine carries Stealth Rock, you can try using Scarf Tyranitar, who is an excellent trapper who outspeeds anything base 115 Speed and below. This can also save you in certain situations with Terrakion, which your team does not fare too well against, as you'd have to resort to tanking a hit from it in order to kill it off. Because you outspeed Terrakion (non scarfed variants,obviously) with Scarf Tyranitar, this provides you a check against faster threats as well.

Another reason to use Scarf Tyranitar is that it shuts down Venusaur instantly. You have to be very wary with Sun Offense, as Sun teams will try and trap your Tyranitar with Dugtrio, and sweepers such like Venusaur are royal pains if you aren't able to outspeed them and kill. Simply predict an HP Fire or Growth from Venusaur, and you can outspeed and kill it with Stone Edge. You can also trap Ninetales with Scarf Tyranitar and kill weakened variants with Pursuit, helping you maintain Sand in a metagame filled with weather.

Here are my proposed changes:

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
    Jolly 252 atk/252 spe /4 HP
    Stone Edge/Superpower/Crunch/Pursuit

Landorus @ Life Orb
    Timid 252 satk/252 spe/4 HP
    Earth Power/Focus Blast/Gravity/HP Ice

And slapping Spikes over Protect on Ferro and SR over Sub on Mamo.

Good luck with your team, hope I helped! =)
  6. Im Skalayle

Im Skalayle

I like the team there isn't much to change but there are a few things that could be changed for the better. Gyro ball and T-Wave combo is kinda silly.Gyro balls power is generated on how much slower you are T-wave would change the damage out come completely.I personally think the sub is unnecessary on the Mamo you can change it out with Super Power or stone edge.Last but not least the T-Tar.Even tho the T-Tar is your SR mon and a crucial part toy our weather team it can take a good it and if there are any hazards up there goes your sash.Scarf would be nice on it or maybe just leftys but i would not recommend Focus Sash

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)