ORAS OU Goodbye gen6! Hail IceMag (best gxe 88.7%)

What team is your favourite?

• Total voters

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hail IceMag

Hello!

I'm Ktutverde, alias Bizarre*Blizzard, and this is my last day on Showdown gen6 ORAS !

I've decided to show you my best build ever, and the achievement of my hail dream. I have no proof of peak since I laddered with this team in late August and didn't bother (I thought I would have more time to ladder higher) to screenshot an amazing 88.7% gxe! If you don't believe me, too bad, ask to blarghlfarghl he will tell you ;)

It's a frozen balance, built around a concept I invented: Ice spam+ Magnezone, working like a dragmag but with a defensive core. Let's dive into my frozen world !

1°) Defining the Hail playstyle
2°) Discover the team

3°) Last words and special thanks
+ links

Team building process + Defining the Hail Playstyle
In fact I'm the only one with Snow who uses Hail successfully in ORAS OU ( if you do too, please tell me and forgive me)

The pokemons you can see below have been used effectively in high ladder ( 1800+) in hail teams

+
/
/

Abomasnow+Tentacruel is the best hail core ever, sharing amazing synergy.
Throughout gens, from 4 to 6, Tentaskill is the premier rapid spinner partner of Abomasnow. In gen6 it becomes even more useful thanks to its ability to beat clefa, which walls Abo.

/
/

My concept is half new since hail players often use a Hail abuser, using blizzard or simply being immuned to Hail. Kube has been used in gen5, while my "rival" Snow peaked 1 with normal Kyurem.
I find weavile far better because it pursuits Chansey and Starmie, Latwins and is a better partner of Tentaskill. The insane power it got in gen6 made me happy, because it can flich stall to death, stall being a big threat to many hail teams, since Abo can't touch it.
Snow uses subroost kyurem which ppstalls chansey via hail and pressure + a magical 101hp substitute number.

/
/
/

Every hail team is weak to Scizor, ferrothorn, jirachi, skarmory, talonflame. Heatran is often added to form a FGW (Fire/Water/Grass) core. However I wanted a more offensive approach and to be able to spam Hail moves: I created Magnezone Hail.

Standard. No alternative I guess in balance, its S rank + status absorber role+ lopunny counter+ switch-into-rotom pivot. Such a good pokemon makes hail even better, despite being weak to drill, scizor like Ice attackers.

/
/

So far, I've always used physical gliscor while Snow succesfully used Scarf LandoT. I still prefer Gliscor because he is the best physical wall in a hail team, and he laughs at Heracross, bisharp, talonflame, excadrill, banded tyranitar, landorus.
He is a the best partner ever to spDef tentacruel and works wonders with Clefable.

These pokemons are the best in a Hail team.
I think I'm one of the players with the most experience in ORAS OU Hail since I've worked very hard on my hail teams, so believe me !

Discover the Team

Boomasnow (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite

Ability : Snow Warning
Mild nature (+spA, -def)
EVs : 88 atk / 252 spA / 168 spe
IVs: 31 spe !
-Ice Shard
-Blizzard
-Giga Drain
-Earthquake

Role: Abomasnow is the Hail setter and my favourite mon. It's the first time I use it with an Abomasite, but it's worth it: blizzard destroys everyhting with 132 BS in spA + mild.
It's the suicune, slowbro, manaphy, gyarados, well, water counter.

Spread : Its spread is meant to outspeed and RK belly azu when not megaevolved, as you may know I did the same in my last rmt. You can use full atk tho, tbh I often change the spread because azu is rare.

Tentaskill (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability : Liquid Ooze
Tmid
nature (+spDef -atk)
EVs : 248 HP / 244 spDef / 16 spe

IVs: 0 atk
-Scald
-Acid Spray
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic Spikes

Role : Tentaskill is the best hail spinner, and he is an amazing clefable counter, thanks to acid spray. It's ability to take 3 shadow balls from LO gengar is awesome, and he can spin vs zardY + stack T-spikes. He is my Venusaur counter too, thanks to scald and liquid ooze.
Best keldeo switchin, DO NOT stay if you have spinned and used T-spikes, the goal is not to defeat it but to scout (keldeo can't touch it but burns ^^).
Toxic spikes are my wincondition ! Never neglect this awesome move! Keldeo goes down thanks to them, and hello weavile !

Spread : full spDef for a special wall. Chansey doesn't work in hail, and tentaskill does a great job with its 120 BS in spDef. Timid and 16 EV allows it to outspeed fat chompy and brelooms.

Oui-Vil (Weavile) @ Choice Band
Ability : Pressure
Jolly nature (+spe -spA)
EVs : 252 atk / 4 def / 252 spe
-Ice Shard
-Icicle Crash
-Knock Off
-Pursuit

Role : Pursuittrapper, wallbreaker, revenge killer, sweeper, to put it in a word, my WinCondition.
Prediction is not allowed: if you switch it into a gengar I kill you. Without it I just can't win, and he cleans late game while providing the speed my baance needs. If you don't have alomomola, your stall is done. And if you do, chansey is gonna eat a banded pursuit.

Spread : bulky wall obv ;)

Magnezoom (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability : Magnet Pull
Timid nature (+spe -atk)
EVs : 4 def / 252 spA / 252 spe
IVs : 31/0/31/30/31/30
-Thunderbolt
-Voltswitch
-Flash cannon
-HP Fire

Role : the centre of the team, because it helps each of the 5 others pokemons a lot. When scizor is gone, weavile, abomasnow, clefa can sweep the opposing team, and that's a huge boon ! I use it also as a talon killer (becareful with flareblitz variants), manaphy, pinsir, well birspam killer. He helps a lot vs banded weavile (risky tho).

If your oppo doesn't have scizor or ferrothorn, or things like talon etc, you can play risky mindgames, like bringing gliscor on medicham HJK, and then magnezone on Ice punch :D

Spread : fast! I don't use magneton because it's too frail, and magnezone can save me vs a boosted gyarados mega thanks to its 115 BS in def !

Glyphscor (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability : Poison Heal
Impish nature (+def -spA)
EVs: 244 HP / 248 def / 56 spe
-Earthquake
-Toxic
-Roost
-Stealth Rock

Role : An incredible wall. Everybody uses SD spdef gliscor, but forget that this variant is almost as bulky as skarmory, and can't be defeated with physical moves. Bisharp loses even with a Life Orb, Pinsir can't ohko at +2, banded flame dies from BB recoil damage.
This gliscor is the wincon in two situations : vs bisharp teams, and vs SD talon teams. You toxic it and when he kills gliscor, he is in ko range of weavile's Ice shard.
Amazing rocker and staller.

Spread : 56 spe outspeeds adabisharp, which still exists and does more damage. Anyway 248 def is enough to have a turn for moving vs pinsir, so speed is the best.

Clebhalf (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability : Magic Guard
Calm Nature (+spDef -atk)
EVs : 252 HP / 172 def / 84 spDef
-Moonblast
-Calm Mind
-Thunder Wave
-Soft Boiled

Role: Lopunny counter, status absorber, kube switch in, alakazam switchin, sweeper. An amazing pokemon that we all know. T wave because magnezone was selfish and roasted scizor earlier :'(

Spread : tanks jolly Lop, latios, kube (Kyurem Black) etc. Ada lopunny runs quick attack as far as I know, so gliscor deals with it.

Export of the team:
Boomasnow (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 88 Atk / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Shard
- Giga Drain
- Blizzard
- Earthquake

Oui-Vil (Weavile) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Tentaskill (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Acid Spray

Glyphscor (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 208 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roost
- Earthquake

Magnezoom (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Clebhalf (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Replays with LT1V Ktutverde

Threatlist
Medicham! Play around with gliscor and magnezone+pursuit weavile !
Weavile and iron head kyuremB : holy shit keep magnezone alive and one shot this ice wallbreakers :'(
Damn I don't remember any other big big threat, I let you have a look at the team and guess what can plow through it^^

Last words

I'm not a new player nor a very experienced one. I started to understand how to play competitively in early ORAS, and since I gave a try to abomasnow I haven't been able to do without him. I'm really happy of my two Hail Teams, Hail is grey and IceMag. They are what I dreamt about when I started pokemon, and my goal is achieved. I didn't manage to peak 1, not even 10, but I must accept it, because you can't have an easy time with underrated mons and concepts.
I hope you enjoyed my teams and playstyle a lot friends!

Before the end, special thanks and links (copy paste of the links of the former RMT "Hail is grey"):

Hail is grey
Ktutverde, gen6, ORAS

Nirvana's hail
Snow, gen6, ORAS
Highway to hail

Emeral, gen4, HGSS

Freeze Ya Ass Up
Emeral, gen5, BW

Goodbye gen4!
Lady Bug, gen4, HGSS
The art of Hail Stall
The Elitist and mien, gen4, DPP

And special thanks!
-Blarghlfarghl, thank you so much for your support bro, when people tell me they love my hail teams I feel really happy!

-Lifeisaroll alias it's ok to bleed, "take care bro" , my slaking hits harder than your medicham :) and Niko alias Losting Soul. Grazie amicos!

-Miguelmart alias Maybe Win/MML, best supporter ever, thank you so much
and Egalvanc, always with miguelmart. Gracias amigos!

-Storm Zone, amazing battles and chat with you! Pachi>all ;)

-Simiatic, Kickasser, Zycross et les français! Merci c'était cool avec vous!

-and... Snow: you motivated me when I still was a beginner, trying to reach your level has been an adventure !! o_O ;)

Goodbye! Will hail live on in gen7? If it's the case, you will probably hear of me again!! :)

Attachments

Last edited:
I only have 1 suggetion and that is changing magnezone to specs/chople. This allows it to do its trapping job better (trapping super power scizor). Gyara isnt too common right now so you dont need to worry about that. While some other mons listed there (manaphy/birdspam) Is taken care of by weavile revenge killing them (which is what mag should be doing either way).

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
I only have 1 suggetion and that is changing magnezone to specs/chople. This allows it to do its trapping job better (trapping super power scizor). Gyara isnt too common right now so you dont need to worry about that. While some other mons listed there (manaphy/birdspam) Is taken care of by weavile revenge killing them (which is what mag should be doing either way).
No scarf means gg vs iron head kyurem and metagross, I also wrote that it help pivoting (with gliscor) and playing around medicham and gardevoir; and I definitely not need specs since I already have breakers. Btw I just hate those chople-occa sets, it's funny but not very effective tbh^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)