Pokémon Goodra [REVAMP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So AV Goodra can take a Specs Dragalge Draco Meteor despite its weakness and OHKO in return. That's pretty impressive. Absolutely needs Wish support, though.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 270-318 (70.4 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Nah, you forgot Adaptability:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 360-424 (93.9 - 110.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
Still not a guaranteed OHKO, though.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nah, you forgot Adaptability:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 360-424 (93.9 - 110.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
Still not a guaranteed OHKO, though.
Not a guaranteed OHKO you say?
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 360-424 (94.4 - 111.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I know not everyone feels this way, but I think that taking stealth rock damage into account for calcs is important.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 360-424 (94.4 - 111.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I know not everyone feels this way, but I think that taking stealth rock damage into account for calcs is important.
Yeah, forgot to add that, my bad. Thanks for catching that.

It's nice to know. Although if you allow someone to have stealth rocks up on you, it is your own fault. It's rather rare someone would put them up against me without some sort of backlash to remove them. But I do see what you're saying that it would mean a solid kill. Except Goodra outspeeds and OHKOs. The speed is an issue, which could be resolved with a trick room team.

If half of his selling points to you is that his one STAB move anyone has talked about hits harder, and already OHKO's everything of that typing aside from AV Goodra, and you still think he isn't quite good enough; please just stop even reading this thread. He has more than enough to deal with many 'mons out there, he has is problems doing so is usually the issue. Adaptability won't fix his speed tier, nor will choice specs (or even scarf for christ's sake) do anything to fix it. Look at his positives, then compare them to the negative. You know, like Smogon used to do before everyone coming to this site instantly thought they were the bee's knees.

Dragalge needs rather hefty support to do any critical damage to an enemy team. Adaptability allows him to rend even bigger holes on what switches he does force, although that number will be few and far between. You'll see him around, and he will be packing a standard movepool of Dragon (Pulse/Meteor)/ Sludge Bomb / Thunderbolt / Scald or whatever else someone may want to add to him for coverage. On top of that, he can take a few hits before he departs. I definitely see his usage rising, although he may consider himself lucky to break into even the C tier.

If half of his selling points to you is that his one STAB move anyone has talked about hits harder, and already OHKO's everything of that typing aside from AV Goodra, and you still think he isn't quite good enough; please just stop even reading this thread. He has more than enough to deal with many 'mons out there, he has is problems doing so is usually the issue. Adaptability won't fix his speed tier, nor will choice specs (or even scarf for christ's sake) do anything to fix it. Look at his positives, then compare them to the negative. You know, like Smogon used to do before everyone coming to this site instantly thought they were the bee's knees.

Dragalge needs rather hefty support to do any critical damage to an enemy team. Adaptability allows him to rend even bigger holes on what switches he does force, although that number will be few and far between. You'll see him around, and he will be packing a standard movepool of Dragon (Pulse/Meteor)/ Sludge Bomb / Thunderbolt / Scald or whatever else someone may want to add to him for coverage. On top of that, he can take a few hits before he departs. I definitely see his usage rising, although he may consider himself lucky to break into even the C tier.
Isn't this a goodra thread though?

Isn't this a goodra thread though?
>Talking about comparison between Goodra and Dragalge
>Doesn't like where argument is going
>Says hey get back on track

Yes it is. So please stop trying to say Dragalge is in any way comparable to his much better Pseudo-counterpart Goodra.

>Talking about comparison between Goodra and Dragalge
>Doesn't like where argument is going
>Says hey get back on track

Yes it is. So please stop trying to say Dragalge is in any way comparable to his much better Pseudo-counterpart Goodra.
I'll just throw this out there. Goodra is a much better defensive Pokemon and has more utility on most teams with sap sipper eating up things like sleep powder and spore. Goodra's speed tier is also significantly better, but Dragalge does have some insane power and the ability to get by fairy walls much more easily. I've actually seen some solid uses on rain teams that aren't using mega pert (and honestly any defensively oriented rain teams). Hydra rest is really nice and sap sipper provides a nice little grass check for it's teammates.

This is my goodra:
Goodra @Assault vest
Earthquake
Aqua tail/rock slide
Power whip
Outrage
EVs: Mainly SpDef + Attack plus some in hp
Nature: Adamant
This is quite an odd set, as most of the time people utilize goodra due to the wide range of special based moves it can learn, but ignore some of the great physical moves it can also learn (Excluding earthquake) such as power whip and outrage. And also many people invest their EVs in defense as Goodra's defense in quite low for a tank, but I decided to make my goodra an all-out physical attacker with some outstanding SpDef. I managed to counter mega mewtwo y with this set as well as other goodra as most of the trainers expect a dragon pulse or a draco meteor not an outrage. And several other times people have sent out slow physically offensive pokemon against it without knowing about my power whip or aqua tail that OHKOs them.

Though honestly I just don't like doing things the "best" way. Generally if you make a pokemon become the opposite of what it's meant to be it can become very unpredictable and people will often switch in pokemon to counter it. One of the other pokemon on my team is a life orb mesprit and half the time people underestimate it's defensive capabilities and my mesprit ends up tanking two of it's moves and dish out some serious damage back.

This is my goodra:
Goodra @Assault vest
Earthquake
Aqua tail/rock slide
Power whip
Outrage
This is quite an odd set, as most of the time people utilize goodra due to the wide range of special based moves it can learn, but ignore some of the great physical moves it can also learn (Excluding earthquake) such as power whip and outrage. And also many people invest their EVs in defense as Goodra's defense in quite low for a tank, but I decided to make my goodra an all-out physical attacker with some outstanding SpDef. I managed to counter mega mewtwo y with this set as well as other goodra as most of the trainers expect a dragon pulse or a draco meteor not an outrage. And several other times people have sent out slow physically offensive pokemon against it without knowing about my power whip or aqua tail that OHKOs them.

Though honestly I just don't like doing things the "best" way. Generally if you make a pokemon become the opposite of what it's meant to be it can become very unpredictable and people will often switch in pokemon to counter it. One of the other pokemon on my team is a life orb mesprit and half the time people underestimate it's defensive capabilities and my mesprit ends up tanking two of it's moves and dish out some serious damage back.
Hey man, interesting set. However, this is a discussion for Smogon OU so being able to beat things like Mewtwo Y (while obviously a very noteworthy thing to be able to do), isn't really all that relevant to discussion. I've also personally tried a few physical/mixed sets myself to some success, but the problem I generally find is that outrage is a bit eh considering how common Steel types are in the current meta. Have you ever considered maybe trying to go mixed for the best possible coverage and a less constricting dragon stab move. Even uninvested, special attacks coming from 110 special attack are fairly effective.

Hey man, interesting set. However, this is a discussion for Smogon OU so being able to beat things like Mewtwo Y (while obviously a very noteworthy thing to be able to do), isn't really all that relevant to discussion. I've also personally tried a few physical/mixed sets myself to some success, but the problem I generally find is that outrage is a bit eh considering how common Steel types are in the current meta. Have you ever considered maybe trying to go mixed for the best possible coverage and a less constricting dragon stab move. Even uninvested, special attacks coming from 110 special attack are fairly effective.
I guess it wasn't the most relevant thing to post, I was just trying to make a point that goodra can basically be many different types of attackers (Both physically and specially). Also, I have considered replacing aqua tail with some other physical based move although aqua tail does allow goodra to counter talonflame (though rock slide would get the job done better), which I have done several times. Outrage may be restrictive but goodras offensive stats are only above average by a bit so I wanted to have the highest damaging move possible, even if it meant using a restrictive dragon STAB move, plus by the time outrage has ended the foe is usually either KO'd or has switched out to counter goodra. And just to let you know, adamant nature reduces SpAtk and increases atk, which is in fact the main reason I decided to change goodra from a diverse special attacker to a hard hitting physical attacker.

On a more relevant note, goodra is probably one of the best counters for heatran, as earthquake hits hard and heatran's fire STAB moves are resisted. Heatran also cannot learn any moves (Except for specific hidden power move) that are super effective against goodra. Goodra is also a good counter-sweeper on pokemon such as alakazam and gengar, pokemon that I have taken down while taking little damage with goodra. And speaking of items, assault vest may seem like one of the best choices, but other items like sitrus berry and leftovers increases goodra's survivability and teaching goodra dragon tail gives him the opportunity to scout. Just some interesting strategies some may consider

This is my goodra:
Goodra @Assault vest
Earthquake
Aqua tail/rock slide
Power whip
Outrage

Forgive me if I got the HP EVs wrong but.....
252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Psystrike vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 297-351 (89.7 - 106%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
Doesnt really counter Mega Mewtwo Y unless your facing someone using Psychic (lol)

Forgive me if I got the HP EVs wrong but.....
252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Psystrike vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 297-351 (89.7 - 106%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
Doesnt really counter Mega Mewtwo Y unless your facing someone using Psychic (lol)
Sorry I wasn't specific enough, the hp EVs were probably around 4 as I mainly invested in SpDef and Atk. With the m-mewtwo y, it only really did about 1/4 of my goodra's hp. I thought it was gonna pull psyshock or psystrike or some random physical move (as m-mewtwo y has powerful attack as well) but instead he just went for the psychic which did less damage then I expected and I OHKO the mewtwo with an outrage. I'm guessing he didn't lvl up his mewtwo enough so that it learned psystrike and just EV trained it and sent it into some battles...

Point is Goodra's special defense if trained can basically stop any specially-offensive pokemon.

And whoever did use that mewtwo y was an idiot, so I guess you couldn't really call it a legit counter

Let's just get this back on topic. Is a physical Goodra good enough in OU to include as a set? I'd say that a mixed set is worth looking into, but that pure physical is a bit situational. What does everyone else think?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Let's just get this back on topic. Is a physical Goodra good enough in OU to include as a set? I'd say that a mixed set is worth looking into, but that pure physical is a bit situational. What does everyone else think?
Nah. Basically if you're using goodra just stick to the Blame Truth Approved AV set to better handle the special attackers it's supposed to like Thundurus, Landorus, Charizard Y, Serperior etc.
Although it really sucks for goodra how common knock off is on thundy and Lando as of late :/

Nah. Basically if you're using goodra just stick to the Blame Truth Approved AV set to better handle the special attackers it's supposed to like Thundurus, Landorus, Charizard Y, Serperior etc.
Although it really sucks for goodra how common knock off is on thundy and Lando as of late :/
I guess what it comes down to is that Goodra needs physical defense to really function as a counter/check to a lot of what it is meant to check. Honestly though, the fact that so many special attackers use psyshock or a physical attack like knock off is really detrimental to it's overall viability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)